What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official The Last of Us HBO TV thread***** Pro clicker rights in here! (1 Viewer)

One more episode right before the last one would have been perfect imo.
Yea was just thinking that. Something in between Ellie going Jason on David and waltzing into Salt Lake City would have helped illustrate the change in the relationship between her and Joel. Just seemed forced. Or really they could have added an extra 15-20 minutes to the damn episode to cover it. Instead we get the shortest? episode of the season.

Yeah, no one is wrong for having a different viewing experience. I totally recognize I'm on an island with a finale impression "Boy, they spent a lot of time on things that had no significance, and not enough on the things that should." Even things like Marlene questioning how he had made it when no one could do that, my internal reaction was "Did what?" As far as the viewer knows they may not have experienced a single interaction if not for a poor driving decision in KC.
This is where it's helpful to keep in mind that, in the game, Joel and Ellie left a trail of bodies that could physically connect Boston to Salt Lake City Hands-Across-America-style. Obviously they didn't do the show that way (good), but maybe they should have tweaked that line a bit.

Yeah, no one is wrong for having a different viewing experience. I totally recognize I'm on an island with a finale impression "Boy, they spent a lot of time on things that had no significance, and not enough on the things that should." Even things like Marlene questioning how he had made it when no one could do that, my internal reaction was "Did what?" As far as the viewer knows they may not have experienced a single interaction if not for a poor driving decision in KC.
This is where it's helpful to keep in mind that, in the game, Joel and Ellie left a trail of bodies that could physically connect Boston to Salt Lake City Hands-Across-America-style. Obviously they didn't do the show that way (good), but maybe they should have tweaked that line a bit.

In the game, were there other mid-tier bosses or areas that could have added to the story? Something less than David and his group, but some additional conflict or other meaningful encounters with infected? It did seem to me like the infected weren't that big of a deal anymore -- like we can build society around them 30 years later now. The first 3 episodes and the last 2 were my favorites. They could have done more exploring and background than we got in the others IMO. I know people hate on episode 3 but I actually thought it was important to the story and also giving us some background on the downfall etc.

In the game, were there other mid-tier bosses or areas that could have added to the story? Something less than David and his group, but some additional conflict or other meaningful encounters with infected? It did seem to me like the infected weren't that big of a deal anymore -- like we can build society around them 30 years later now. The first 3 episodes and the last 2 were my favorites. They could have done more exploring and background than we got in the others IMO. I know people hate on episode 3 but I actually thought it was important to the story and also giving us some background on the downfall etc.
Yes, tons more

95% of the combat/stealth/encounters in the game were not reflected in the TV show. If they'd shown it all they could have lasted 3 seasons with the first game probably. You have to deal with bloaters on at least 4 occasions. Joel and Sam get separated from Ellie and Henry in the tunnels where the soccer ball was, and have to deal with an amped up version of the normal infected (which I think are worse than bloaters if you fail to stealth them).

The final chapter has a pretty extensive trip through underground highway tunnels dealing with infected. Including a pair of bloaters (who I sneak past because, save ammo for the hospital fight). Then had some environmental stuff (flooded tunnels) to overcome.

Episode 3 was very little like the game play of that part. It was primarily a combat chapter other than doing a little rearming in Bill's fortified church and unlocking some nice new gear. I'll avoid saying more to avoid spoilers for anyone wanting to play the game.

I don't think so, personally.

I mean, yeah there were mini-bosses and lots of combat encounters. It's an action game first and foremost. But if they included that stuff in the show, it wouldn't have been a character drama. It would have been more like the high-quality HBO version of the Resident Evil movies. There are too many of those sorts of films already IMO. It's obviously just a matter of personal taste, but I like the decision to make the show less gamey and to instead focus on the story elements without much action.

Maybe another analogy would be using COD as the springboard for a war movie. You could certainly do that, but the resulting movie would not Saving Private Ryan or Thin Red Line. It would be more like Rambo (and not First Blood).

I mean, yeah there were mini-bosses and lots of combat encounters. It's an action game first and foremost. But if they included that stuff in the show, it wouldn't have been a character drama. It would have been more like the high-quality HBO version of the Resident Evil movies. There are too many of those sorts of films already IMO. It's obviously just a matter of personal taste, but I like the decision to make the show less gamey and to instead focus on the story elements without much action.

Maybe another analogy would be using COD as the springboard for a war movie. You could certainly do that, but the resulting movie would not Saving Private Ryan or Thin Red Line. It would be more like Rambo (and not First Blood).
Yea, I am not meaning just hordes of infected type stuff, just if there were any other characters or side quests that could have maybe been expanded for the show to add to the character development or impact infected still have out there (or what life looks like for humans).

Yea, I am not meaning just hordes of infected type stuff, just if there were any other characters or side quests that could have maybe been expanded for the show to add to the character development or impact infected still have out there (or what life looks like for humans).
The way the show presented it, it seems the virus would die out at some point anyway since the humans were so separated from the infected.

They were everywhere…..Joel was what you would call a Ranger. He knew all the paths to take to try and avoid the hordes.

Yeah……there was plenty. They could have made this easily 15-20 episodes for the first game.

Yeah……there was plenty. They could have made this easily 15-20 episodes for the first game.
I definitely would have enjoyed a couple more episodes. It did seem a little short. I enjoyed it but I think a couple more in between episodes in between the big distances would have been great.

Did Joel say that the clickers last a few days in one of the last couple episodes? I may have misheard but if that’s the case, I’m confused.

The way the show presented it, it seems the virus would die out at some point anyway since the humans were so separated from the infected.
That’s what my question above was about. If I heard Joel correctly, the clickers don’t last long so if humans had avoided them long enough, wouldn’t the threat be gone? I may have misheard.

That’s what my question above was about. If I heard Joel correctly, the clickers don’t last long so if humans had avoided them long enough, wouldn’t the threat be gone? I may have misheard.
I never heard him say that. As a matter of fact clickers eventually turn into bloaters.

Did Joel say that the clickers last a few days in one of the last couple episodes? I may have misheard but if that’s the case, I’m confused.
No, it's a few hours to a few days from being bitten to "turning." I think everyone infected essentially lives as long as the fungus does; it takes over your systems.

They really should have somehow worked in where you go to stealth-kill a clicker only to realize you don't have a shiv and they make spaghetti out of your neck. Good times.
Also, a running gag where each week Joel has to help Ellie get across a small body of water using a conveniently-located wooden pallet.
Or not so conveniently, like "I wonder if there is a pallet trapped AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS LAKE?!!!"

No, it's a few hours to a few days from being bitten to "turning." I think everyone infected essentially lives as long as the fungus does; it takes over your systems.
I’ll have to rewatch and see what I missed.

They really should have somehow worked in where you go to stealth-kill a clicker only to realize you don't have a shiv and they make spaghetti out of your neck. Good times.
Also, a running gag where each week Joel has to help Ellie get across a small body of water using a conveniently-located wooden pallet.
I really thought we were going to get that in the finale, finally.

Though, I can understand choosing to not go through filming that whole sequence. Not only potentially deadly to the actors, but those sequences would probably cost as much as the rest of the episode combined.

Last episode was a giant dud for me. Joel all of a sudden becomes a talkative, touchy-feely dude who’s looking forward to the future. It just happened too fast for me

The show is good not great. I blame the Director and editor.

Any predictions from the non-game folks for the finale?
I've never played the game, but now that the series is over I've started watching it nightly with my wife. Unless there's a reversal of what I've seen in the first 3 episodes, the finale will involve one person trying to protect one person.

Joel tries to protect his daughter. She dies, he feels like he failed.
Joel tries to protect Tess. She dies, he feels like he failed.
Joel is currently (in episode 3) trying to protect Ellie.
Tess tries to protect Joel. She dies doing so.
Bill tries to protect Frank. He dies happy.
Frank tries to protect Bill. He dies happy.
Bill leaves everything to Joel, so he can protect someone.

That's my guess, not prediction, based on what I've seen in the first 3 episodes. I'll get to the finale whenever I get to it.

Liking the series so far, despite the first 2 episodes seeming a bit structured like [walk into room/area/whatever] [action] [walk into another room/area/whatever] [action] etc. Not real free-flowing. But the series is far too good so far to let that interfere with watching it.
Very good series, turned out like I expected after the first 3 episodes -- one person trying to protect one person.

There was nothing surprising about Joel shooting everyone in the last episode. He was asked to take her west to a hospital. He did so, he developed an attachment to her (and she to him) along the way. When he found out at the end that the plan was to kill her he reacted to protect her.

He wasn't asked to transport someone across the country to be killed. If he had been he would have refused. Ellie wasn't asked if she wanted to cross the country to be killed. If she had been she would have refused. The rest of the story was compelling but was just a continuation of those initial deceptions to a natural end. Neither Joel nor Ellie agreed to have her transported to be killed.

The last episode was far too short, could have been 2 episodes to flesh things out a bit more. It's like the producers' electric bill was due and they faced a short cutoff date or something. Felt very rushed.

I'll watch it again in a couple months. Good series.

Last episode was a giant dud for me. Joel all of a sudden becomes a talkative, touchy-feely dude who’s looking forward to the future. It just happened too fast for me

he saw the girl as his daughter that he dialed before, 3 episodes in he would have let her die but by the last episode he would have jumped on a grenade for her. I hate most people that aren’t related to me and usually don’t talk to the but if all of my love ones died and i eventually brought someone else into my inner circle i’d revert back to talk a tive me

he saw the girl as his daughter that he dialed before, 3 episodes in he would have let her die but by the last episode he would have jumped on a grenade for her. I hate most people that aren’t related to me and usually don’t talk to the but if all of my love ones died and i eventually brought someone else into my inner circle i’d revert back to talk a tive me

I get it. It was just a little abrupt. I just feel like the story needed a little more fleshing out to get there.

Wife and I talked about this the other night. She gave it a 7.5/10 and I said 7.2/10. Its a good show, not a great one. Ill continue to watch but I would never re-watch this show.

The last episode was far too short, could have been 2 episodes to flesh things out a bit more. It's like the producers' electric bill was due and they faced a short cutoff date or something. Felt very rushed.
Believe it was an HBO decision.
I can believe that since it seemed so arbitrarily bereft. "Ooops, can't shoot the last 2 episodes, can only afford one".

Enjoyed the series, but like most zombie dramas, there seems to be a simple way to kill fungus: Fire? Any type of incendiary should solve this issue. Heck, one California wildfire and that state is ready to be re-inhabited...

Started late and finally finished Season 1 last night.

Followed this thread, episode by episode, but I didn't see this mentioned:

Most likely this is just a plot hole, but if Ellie's immunity is actually caused by having the cordyceps in her brain, giving off chemicals to stop other cordyceps from infecting; wouldn't the dog (protecting Tommy's compound) have been triggered?

So I'm choosing to come away from the season believing Joel saved her from a completely unnecessary death and that the Firefly's were ultimately the bad guys attempting to kill her based on a (wrong) hunch.

Last edited:
Started late and finally finished Season 1 last night.

Followed this thread, episode by episode, but I didn't see this mentioned:

Most likely this is just a plot hole, but if Ellie's immunity is actually caused by having the cordyceps in her brain, giving off chemicals to stop other cordyceps from infecting; wouldn't the dog (protecting Tommy's compound) have been triggered?

So I'm choosing to come away from the season believing Joel saved her from a completely unnecessary death and that the Firefly's were ultimately the bad guys attempting to kill her based on a (wrong) hunch.
I don’t think that’s the explanation. I get that she was a baby and got micro exposed/umbilically exposed so that the cordyceps didn’t fully takeover and that it produced an immunity if bitten. Any new fungi from a new bite would be stopped. It doesn’t mean she’s giving off a scent that keeps them from attacking because we’ve seen her attacked again. I don’t think a dog could sense it because she has no outward stuff. I think it’s just internal that it will kill any new infection.

I finished this over the weekend and would say it’s a very good show, loved the ending. The finale didn’t change my opinion of Joel at all. We knew he wouldn’t hesitate to kill to survive and protect Ellie. He acted exactly as I expected when he learned they were going to kill her. The confusing aspect of the discussion is the assumption his choice somehow dooms humanity and that is the trade off he choose. Maybe it could have been fleshed out better in the show but it always seemed like a massive long shot that her condition could save humanity and nothing in the finale changed that notion. They have no idea what they’re up against and no information about the state of the rest of the country much less the entire world. Realistically, they never should have left Jackson the first time. The idea she would give up her life voluntarily knowing what we know about her is also not realistic. For me Joel is 100% good guy hero.

Other minor points - I thought the casting was great, but I’m not very good at imagining how other actors would fit into the roles. I just thought Pasquale and Ramsey were fantastic. Also, the two episodes some are complaining about as wasted or filler - I felt the opposite. The Bill/Frank episode encapsulates the central theme of the show and leads directly to the main characters‘ decisions and actions throughout and particularly at the end.

Have not played the game and went into it completely ignorant and loved it.

I finished this over the weekend and would say it’s a very good show, loved the ending. The finale didn’t change my opinion of Joel at all. We knew he wouldn’t hesitate to kill to survive and protect Ellie. He acted exactly as I expected when he learned they were going to kill her. The confusing aspect of the discussion is the assumption his choice somehow dooms humanity and that is the trade off he choose. Maybe it could have been fleshed out better in the show but it always seemed like a massive long shot that her condition could save humanity and nothing in the finale changed that notion. They have no idea what they’re up against and no information about the state of the rest of the country much less the entire world. Realistically, they never should have left Jackson the first time. The idea she would give up her life voluntarily knowing what we know about her is also not realistic. For me Joel is 100% good guy hero.

Other minor points - I thought the casting was great, but I’m not very good at imagining how other actors would fit into the roles. I just thought Pasquale and Ramsey were fantastic. Also, the two episodes some are complaining about as wasted or filler - I felt the opposite. The Bill/Frank episode encapsulates the central theme of the show and leads directly to the main characters‘ decisions and actions throughout and particularly at the end.

You only mentioned the Bill/Frank episode and not the arcade one when saying you liked the two fillers. I really enjoyed the Bill/Frank. The bed scene wasn’t my cup of tea but the rest was solid. The strawberry scene might have been my favorite part. The mall/arcade episode was not on the same level. Didn’t feel like the story or acting was as good as the rest. We all knew what was going to happen, just thought it was weak. Why would the fireflies not have gone the extra yards needed to completely clear that area? Ellie’s friend had likely tested out the arcade and built bombs there so now the clicker decided to wake up? That was a meh filler. Maybe incorporate a flashback of that episode into another one more about the journey and relationship with Joel.

You only mentioned the Bill/Frank episode and not the arcade one when saying you liked the two fillers. I really enjoyed the Bill/Frank. The bed scene wasn’t my cup of tea but the rest was solid. The strawberry scene might have been my favorite part. The mall/arcade episode was not on the same level. Didn’t feel like the story or acting was as good as the rest. We all knew what was going to happen, just thought it was weak. Why would the fireflies not have gone the extra yards needed to completely clear that area? Ellie’s friend had likely tested out the arcade and built bombs there so now the clicker decided to wake up? That was a meh filler. Maybe incorporate a flashback of that episode into another one more about the journey and relationship with Joel.

I agree the mall scene didn't need to be even half as long as it was. I was hitting the 10 second skip button during much of that. It was crucial background though. As for the plot holes - yeah, no doubt there were some big question marks from nearly every episode but I think that just comes with the territory when you're watching a hero action show like this. For the Bill/Frank episode, I didn't get into the emotional side of it and thought the strawberry scene was kind of silly, but it set up the notion of living for purpose v just surviving. This was the main theme of the show for me, the central Joel/Ellie dynamic and what drove all the characters' decisions and actions.

I agree the mall scene didn't need to be even half as long as it was. I was hitting the 10 second skip button during much of that. It was crucial background though.
It was, and the main issue I had with the series was the lack of background through exposition or narration. But getting it done in 9 episodes demanded that.

I just thought Pasquale
LOL. Took me a minute.

I mean, Pedro's cool and all, but he's no Blaise.

I had to google both their names and still got it wrong. My wife can watch a short trailer for an animated movie and rattle off all the actors names just from the voices and tell me all the movies and shows we’ve seen them perform in, but it’s never been something I pay attention to. But I do appreciate good acting and can’t stomach a show that features bad performances.

So couldn't the whole last episode have been prevented had they carved under her skin to get the fungus out of her initial bite location and tried to science up that ****?

Her backstory to being immune was known to the Fireflies, they knew a tiny dose would make you immune so why not trap a zombie and dilute down the stuff and see if eventually you get a dose that doesn't kill you yet keeps you immune? Try that on the mormons or whatever?

The whole, we gotta kill her, angle seemed more believable if they didn't know why she was immune.

Is there really any anti-fungus that works from live fungus?

So couldn't the whole last episode have been prevented had they carved under her skin to get the fungus out of her initial bite location and tried to science up that ****?

Her backstory to being immune was known to the Fireflies, they knew a tiny dose would make you immune so why not trap a zombie and dilute down the stuff and see if eventually you get a dose that doesn't kill you yet keeps you immune? Try that on the mormons or whatever?

The whole, we gotta kill her, angle seemed more believable if they didn't know why she was immune.

IIRC
Her immunity seems to be due to her being still attached to her mothers umbilical cord as her mother was being bit.

IIRC
Her immunity seems to be due to her being still attached to her mothers umbilical cord as her mother was being bit.
Right. So it's like an allergy shot. Low dose of a histamine seems to be mildly protective.

Users who are viewing this thread