What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (1 Viewer)

Is there someplace to watch these games later? I have HULU Live and figured they would replay these games later in the day, but can't find them anywhere.

Not sure why Fox wouldn't at least put these on FS2 or something in prime time to catch the people who can't watch at 2:00 am.

Is there someplace to watch these games later? I have HULU Live and figured they would replay these games later in the day, but can't find them anywhere.

Not sure why Fox wouldn't at least put these on FS2 or something in prime time to catch the people who can't watch at 2:00 am.
FS2 was replaying the games over the weekend. Might have to log onto the Fox Sports app?

Peacock has replays but it seems only with Spanish commentary.

Anyone setting their alarm tonight? Could be a very fun situation with both games going simultaneously and goal differential likely going to be important. Netherlands will unleash the dogs on poor Vietnam. I'm not confident we'll be able to keep up with them against Portugal, but we start with a 2 goal advantage. I'll be sawing logs at gametime - will check my phone when I wake up.

I know it was reported that FIFA was nervous about attendance and gave away tickets for free to the low sales games but these numbers look great

===========

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Per FIFA, through 38 World Cup matches, attendance is up 41 percent. France 2019 averaged 18,319 spectators at this point, finished at 21,756. Australia / New Zealand 2023 is averaging 25,868

They cannot have Tim Ream play another game at left back. Every time a ball got played back it seemed to be a turnover or near turnover.

-QG

end result

"and barely survived 0-0 when a Portugal kick barely hit the post in stoppage time."]

Well they certainly gave themselves a tougher road to follow now.

The best thing they can do now is just use the old cliché that they were going to have to beat Sweden eventually so it might has well be now (assuming Sweden win their group).

It will be interesting to see if they change the lineup in a major way for the knock out round game because the mix has not really worked offensively. Even against Vietnam, things did not look right, as that was a game the US usually cruises in to a huge win.

Last edited:
Have the US ever finished second in the group stage before?
I just looked it up. It happened once before in 2011 when Sweden won the group. The US did advance to the finals though and eventually lost to Japan.

The 5 points in this years WC is the lowest group stage point total ever for the US though.

I said earlier I wasn't concerned. I am now. They are not playing well. Zero chemistry.

Carli Lloyd said it best. They are playing "uninspiring".

Coach seems over his head.

The US attack has looked *** ever since Vlatko took over, so this isn't that big a surprise to me. Factor in that injuries have robbed Rose of a lot of her dynamism and this just isn't that scary a team.

Starting to think this team just isn't very good -- at least relative to the last 6-8 years. Credit to the coach for making some good changes (Lavelle in, Smith out), to try and hold the ball some, but they just don't pass the ball well enough. Too many stray passes, too many horrific touches receiving the ball. You don't have to possess the ball all the time, but you do have to be able to connect better than they have through three games. 62% completion rate is terrible. All IMO, YMMV, etc.

Starting to think this team just isn't very good -- at least relative to the last 6-8 years. Credit to the coach for making some good changes (Lavelle in, Smith out), to try and hold the ball some, but they just don't pass the ball well enough. Too many stray passes, too many horrific touches receiving the ball. You don't have to possess the ball all the time, but you do have to be able to connect better than they have through three games. 62% completion rate is terrible. All IMO, YMMV, etc.
Yeah.

And the rest of the world has caught up. No longer are the days where we can just out-talent everybody.

England (4/1), Spain (9/2) and USA (9/2) now listed as more or less joint favorites.

Japan (8), Germany (9) are the next closest. Sweden is 20/1, FWIW.

Usa not winning jacked up a bunch of parlays for me. Thanks, ladies. You were -390 for the win. England and Denmark got the job done... Sweden gonna get it done.

Didn't watch the game, but I mean, come on a 2.69 xpg isn't exactly a piss poor attack against a team fighting for it's WC life.
I did watch the first two games, and yeah, the team isn't as good as years past, but certainly create more opportunities than their opponents.
That said, this doesn't bode well "Rose Lavelle picked up a yellow card in the 38th minute, her second of the group stage, and she won't be available for the team's round-of-16 match."
Granted she is my favorite player since Kristine Lilly so I'm biased, but I don't see anyone else on this team filling that void.

It's unfortunate that Lavelle isn't fit for this tournament. Go and watch her play 4 years ago. It looks so different with her slicing open defenses with ease back then. The only thing wro g with her game in 2019 was that she was missing some open looks in front of the net. She could have easily had 3 more goals that tournament. This time around, she's often a step slow, hence picking up the yellows and she can't beat people 1v1 like she used to.

Lavelle not playing anywhere close to 2019 form and the aging of Morgan really hurt this team. Still doesnt explain the inability to pass, trap, and move well though. That's on all 10 outfueld players.

Didn't watch the game, but I mean, come on a 2.69 xpg isn't exactly a piss poor attack against a team fighting for it's WC life.
I did watch the first two games, and yeah, the team isn't as good as years past, but certainly create more opportunities than their opponents.
That said, this doesn't bode well "Rose Lavelle picked up a yellow card in the 38th minute, her second of the group stage, and she won't be available for the team's round-of-16 match."
Granted she is my favorite player since Kristine Lilly so I'm biased, but I don't see anyone else on this team filling that void.

They finish like a bad guy shooting at Barnaby Jones

-QG

Ertz playing center back instead of holding and Rose being injured seem to be the two biggest issues. Seems they aren't as ruthless in front of goal as they have been in years past.
Add that the rest of the world is catching up and you have an issue.

I don't know if the coach is good or bad or if its the players (who is there, who is missing, etc). He seems to have come in at a major transition for the US team.
Winning 4 of the 8 World Cups including the last two has spoiled us. Going 3 in a row is unheard of. It will be interesting to see how they respond following this cup, win or lose.

The good news to me is that not all is dire. While their possession has been the worst I have ever seen for this team, they are still creating a good amount of chances. If they were finishing better, things would look much rosier. Whether they can solve that issue by the time the knock out game ends is anyone's guess.

Another stat to show the passing struggles

=================

Paul Carr

@PaulCarr

The U.S. averaged 1.9 passes per sequence vs Portugal. That's the fewest passes per sequence for the USWNT in 139 games, since a March 2016 loss to Germany.

(Sequence = a series of uninterrupted passes)

I said earlier I wasn't concerned. I am now. They are not playing well. Zero chemistry.

Carli Lloyd said it best. They are playing "uninspiring".

Coach seems over his head.

That Portugal match was a tough watch. The strategy toward the end was very frustrating. All you need is a draw and the players are pushing forward and taking stupid, low probability shots instead of maintaining possession. I thought it was just the young players in the moment but then Rapinoe gets in there and attempts a one timer outside the box and shows little awareness in what is needed.

A stat that shows finishing is killing the US so far

======================

OptaJack

No team has underperformed its expected goals value at the WWC by more than the USWNT (-3.8, 4 goals, 7.8 xG).
Wasteful.

Users who are viewing this thread