What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2015 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Though in true Snyder/organization fashion, wouldn't be suprised to wake up one morning to news of his car ending up in the reflecting pool with a dead hooker in the trunk.

Wow this might be the best day I've had as a Redskin fan in years. This is the best Christmas present I could have hoped for.

Though in true Snyder/organization fashion, wouldn't be suprised to wake up one morning to news of his car ending up in the reflecting pool with a dead hooker in the trunk.
Ha I too am holding my breath for the inevitable story about the growing rift between owner and GM come training camp. Crossing my fingers that everyone stays happy and this works out for a while

FINALLY...some good news for this fan base. Betting the players are equally excited. If nothing else, the man has established cred.

Damn, I'm looking at this draft in an entirely new way now. With the #5 pick we've got some serious draft currency that I didn't trust Allen to fully utilize.

McC had multiple 1st round picks half the years he was in SF. Think about that.

I trust this guy to maneuver around the draft and accumulate picks and future value. That's going to be huge for us.

He believes in hoarding draft picks and winning the LOS by building the OL and DL.

I'm so psyched right now I'm typing in one sentence paragraphs.

Last edited by a moderator:
spectacular move by snyder.

the man who was a key part of Sea and SF superbowl teams.

Ron Wolf tree.

dad was a scout.

this is what this guy was meant to do.

proven predigree.

we should all be very excited here.

Looks like a few people (notably La Canfora, Kevin Sheehan from 980 who said he spoke to Scot personally, and Mike Jones from WaPo) saying it isn't totally done yet? They are not pessimistic about it all, just claiming everything isn't totally settled yet.

This seems like it'd be a huge development as they finally seem to be showing some self-awareness of a glaring weakness. I would imagine he would come in and clean house on this bad roster.

Ted Mullins said:
Looks like a few people (notably La Canfora, Kevin Sheehan from 980 who said he spoke to Scot personally, and Mike Jones from WaPo) saying it isn't totally done yet? They are not pessimistic about it all, just claiming everything isn't totally settled yet.

This seems like it'd be a huge development as they finally seem to be showing some self-awareness of a glaring weakness. I would imagine he would come in and clean house on this bad roster.
Heard Albert Breer on the radio. He said it's not done yet because of the Rooney Rule. He also said he has been close with John Gruden in the past. Albert wasn't sure if he was already close to Jay or not, but there was already a connection to the Gruden family.

Good news to see Scot M back in the NFL. Even if he lasts for just a few seasons, he still will better the team.

His gamble on Frank Gore was one of the best gambles ever in a draft.

Heard a lot of people today praising this move because "this time it's different". Pretty sure we've said that before. Not that I think that makes this a bad move, but I am personally going to temper my excitement and expectations. It sure seems like a move in the right direction and I hope it works. But, as amazing as Snyder is at making big moves like this, he can also f it up.

Heard a lot of people today praising this move because "this time it's different". Pretty sure we've said that before. Not that I think that makes this a bad move, but I am personally going to temper my excitement and expectations. It sure seems like a move in the right direction and I hope it works. But, as amazing as Snyder is at making big moves like this, he can also f it up.
It's also a move that can't really be judged for a few seasons.

Be a mistake. Gruden out if he has one more bad season. Wade out if he does
I think Wade would be ideal candidate. Already connection on the staff. Isn't looking to be a head coach anymore. Proven track record. Bring it.
No, I mean it would be a mistake by Wade. I like Wade. Him and Gruden are nothing alike.

Count me among the "Winston Wolf" crowd.

Love the hire, but until proven otherwise, Snyder deserves zero benefit of the doubt when it comes to not screwing things up. I could totally see him welcoming McCloughan to the club by buying him a case of Scotch.

Congrats to Scot M, and the Skins. If you think his hide hasn't been toughened enough to work with Snyder, well, he has worked under the worst owners in football.

ConnSKINS26 said:
This is amazing. This is literally the only thing Snyder could have done at any point in the next five years to get my hopes up in a real meaningful way.
And once again the Redskins wait till the fans are on the verge of mutiny, then find one change to make (Gruden, Griffin trade, Shanny and Son, Haynesworth, etc.) that convinces fans that "things will change," and they climb back on the bandwagon.

Why would anyone think THIS offseason signing will end up any different?

ConnSKINS26 said:
This is amazing. This is literally the only thing Snyder could have done at any point in the next five years to get my hopes up in a real meaningful way.
And once again the Redskins wait till the fans are on the verge of mutiny, then find one change to make (Gruden, Griffin trade, Shanny and Son, Haynesworth, etc.) that convinces fans that "things will change," and they climb back on the bandwagon.

apples and oranges, assuming the reports and details are true.

ConnSKINS26 said:

Honestly, I don't "expect" it to be any different. I "hope" that it will be different this year.

I"m no fool. I know darn well that Snyder could easily hire this man, then undermine him and cause a subsequent disaster. On the other hand, I also believe that after years and years and years of failure, people can and do change their ways and maybe -- just maybe -- Snyder will give him a little space in this "honeymoon period."

That said, I "hope," not "expect."

If you are just going to expect them to suck forever and never even allow yourself any hope of them getting better, I'm not sure why you would even follow the team...

so is allen gone or is he just stepping away fro personell stuff? im out of the loop today.
He retains the title of "president", will work with agents and contracts, the PR stuff, alumni stuff, etc.
I hope he stays involved with the Charitable Foundation. That is where he has done the most "winning" and I'd hate to lose his considerable skill set there.

PS...can someone make up a meme with a picture of Bruce Allen and Charlie Sheen that says "Winning!"

This to me is different than previous moves because it signals a change at the top of the organization. For years, we haven't had a true personnel guy at the top. This guy isn't some big name, he's just very well respected around the league. McCloughan isn't some guy that's past his prime, he's 43 y/o. This isn't bringing back Gibbs after 12 years away, this isn't brining in Shanny in his 60s. This isn't signing the biggest name in FA. This finally seems to be Snyder understanding that he needs a real football mind in charge.

Will it work out? Who knows. But it certainly seems to be a step in the right direction. And for a team that has seemingly lost its path in recent years, there is reason for some optimism. Not saying he's going to come in and fix everything in 1 year, it's a process, but I feel like we may finally have the right guy for that process.

This to me is different than previous moves because it signals a change at the top of the organization. For years, we haven't had a true personnel guy at the top. This guy isn't some big name, he's just very well respected around the league. McCloughan isn't some guy that's past his prime, he's 43 y/o. This isn't bringing back Gibbs after 12 years away, this isn't brining in Shanny in his 60s. This isn't signing the biggest name in FA. This finally seems to be Snyder understanding that he needs a real football mind in charge.

Will it work out? Who knows. But it certainly seems to be a step in the right direction. And for a team that has seemingly lost its path in recent years, there is reason for some optimism. Not saying he's going to come in and fix everything in 1 year, it's a process, but I feel like we may finally have the right guy for that process.
Agreed! Many other fans were responding to this signing with skepticism, but I'm hopeful that a personnel first guy will be a good start to turning the team around.

It'll be interesting to see what he does with our QB situation and how well the draft goes this year. With such a high draft pick I wonder if he'll take a top talent at 5, or look to trade back. Perhaps with a team that needs a QB, like the Rams, who might be willing to offer a ridiculous amount, like 3 first round picks and a 2nd?

ConnSKINS26 said:

So you're not familiar with Scot McLoughen?

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but this is what everyone said when Shanahan was hired and supposedly assured unfettered control over the team. Pretty much verbatim. It's been repeated in response to other front office moves too- hiring Gibbs (Snyder wouldn't dare meddle with the franchise's greatest icon!), replacing Snyder lackey Cerrato with Allen, the 2011 draft where they stockpiled picks and focused on defense in the early rounds, and others. I'll believe it when I see change sustained over multiple seasons.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but this is what everyone said when Shanahan was hired and supposedly assured unfettered control over the team. Pretty much verbatim. It's been repeated in response to other front office moves too- hiring Gibbs (Snyder wouldn't dare meddle with the franchise's greatest icon!), replacing Snyder lackey Cerrato with Allen, the 2011 draft where they stockpiled picks and focused on defense in the early rounds, and others. I'll believe it when I see change sustained over multiple seasons.
And that's fine, because it's true. Again, I have no idea if this is going to work. But it seems to be something different in terms of how the Skins FO works.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm excited they are finally bringing in a real personnel guy, but I also know this team still has a good amount of work left to do.

Agreed. I think Scot gets full control at first. But, the only thing that will allow him to keep that control is either quick success or patience from Snyder. What are the probabilities of each? What happens if we still don't make the playoffs the next three seasons? How will fans react and how will Snyder react to the fans' reactions? Does Snyder step in and force a trade or a big FA splash? Does he clean house and call Vinny and Pepper? Will he be ok if the plan is to totally strip the team down to nothing and build from scratch? That takes time.

I'm glad they're doing this. I'm just not willing to get too excited right now. I'm hopeful, as MikeApf said earlier, but I'm more than willing to just sit back and see what happens over time. It's not like Snyder did something here that gives us a huge leg up on the rest of league because the league is full of teams who let "football people" run the show. Granted, we seem to be getting a good one; maybe one of the best. Hopefully he lives up to the hype and is allowed to run the show. But, structure-wise, all we've done is joined everyone else and hopefully given us a better chance at being respectable. As Chris Rock might say: "What do you want? A cookie?"

I will continue to give Snyder credit, though, when it comes to drawing fans back in. He does it every couple years. We get as low as we think we can and then he pulls something off to give us hope. He's a master at that. He's totally tone deaf in some areas, but he senses when seats may not be sold.

The Shannahan hiring had plenty of doubters due to the significance of Elway in his success and how far-removed he was from that success.

As for this year's draft, I heard Albert Breer discussing how changes in scouting staff works. While coaches tend to change in January, scouts don't usually move around until after the draft. If he wants people that are already employed elsewhere, those teams are unlikely to let them go before the draft this year. They'll have too much insider knowledge that they can share with their new team. So, the next couple months are supposedly an evaluation time of those currently in Ashburn. We'll know come May how McCloughan thinks they performed.

Agreed! Many other fans were responding to this signing with skepticism, but I'm hopeful that a personnel first guy will be a good start to turning the team around.

It'll be interesting to see what he does with our QB situation and how well the draft goes this year. With such a high draft pick I wonder if he'll take a top talent at 5, or look to trade back. Perhaps with a team that needs a QB, like the Rams, who might be willing to offer a ridiculous amount, like 3 first round picks and a 2nd?
C'mon, what organization would be dumb enough to make a trade like that?

As for this year's draft, I heard Albert Breer discussing how changes in scouting staff works. While coaches tend to change in January, scouts don't usually move around until after the draft. If he wants people that are already employed elsewhere, those teams are unlikely to let them go before the draft this year. They'll have too much insider knowledge that they can share with their new team. So, the next couple months are supposedly an evaluation time of those currently in Ashburn. We'll know come May how McCloughan thinks they performed.
Doesn't he run his own scouting business? I would think he could take people from his business and use them.

Doesn't he run his own scouting business? I would think he could take people from his business and use them.
Yep. And fortunately, or unfortunately, the Skins immediate needs are so clear that drafting this year should be a bit more straightforward than most.

Yep. And fortunately, or unfortunately, the Skins immediate needs are so clear that drafting this year should be a bit more straightforward than most.
You can draft any position outside of WR and fill a need.

Here is my take. The foundation of a team is the front office structure, with defined roles. Although it may vary from organization to organization, having Snyder's role and boundaries defined is a must. Gibbs had that for his four years here. Shanahan had it in place for the initial 2 or 3 years, but lost the structure. Certainly by year 4, it was gone. Marty had it for a year before he was shown the door. It appears Allen does not have a clear boundaries in place now.

Based on this, it is clear McCloughan will initially have the power the structure the organization and set boundaries for Snyder. The key is if he can keep in in place long term or if it will fall apart at some point. These are the details that are being negotiated now. Hopefully McCloughan has enough cred that he can get it all in place.

The second foundation block for a football team is the ability to draft players. Free agents help, but the draft is the core to player acquisition. Teams that draft well have a huge advantage over the other teams. McCloughan has a strong resume of being able to draft players. That is something the Redskins really have not had since maybe Bethard.

I like the move. I am hopeful. But I certainly don't want to underestimate Snyder's ability to muck it up at some point.

It also takes time to evaluate the scouting department and make changes. Like the Redskins roster, it is easy to say who needs to be replaced. It is much more difficult to find good people to replace them.

Like any organization, the evaluation will start at the top (Campbell and whoever replaced Morroco Brown) and filter down the lower levels.

Identifying the team needs is probably the easy part. It is finding the gems in the middle rounds of the draft and developing them that is the hard part.

I believe in drafting the best player available. It is the fastest way to improve the talent level of the team.

As far as wide receiver, I have no problems drafting them if they are good players. I actually don't think Garcon, Jackson, and Roberts will be with the team long term. Garcon's salary starts getting pretty big. Jackson is quite volatile and could be difficult to keep happy. And Roberts just hasn't been that good, even for a 3rd receiver.

You can draft any position outside of WR and fill a need.
Some with greater impact than others. OT > LB > S, in that order, as far as putting out fires, imo. All achilles heel type areas.

Highest opposing QBR rating in the league since 2006, largely due to no pass rush and getting burned over the top.

I'm sure that's possible. But, my guess is many people are working for a "scouting business" and not the NFL for a reason. Maybe they aren't as good? And even if they are good, I don't recall seeing anything about how many people he employs. It may not be enough people to turn over an NFL scouting staff.

What you say may make sense. I was just passing on what I heard Breer say when asked about changes to the Redskins scouting department. He didn't think we'd see immediate changes.

I'm sure that's possible. But, my guess is many people are working for a "scouting business" and not the NFL for a reason. Maybe they aren't as good? And even if they are good, I don't recall seeing anything about how many people he employs. It may not be enough people to turn over an NFL scouting staff.

What you say may make sense. I was just passing on what I heard Breer say when asked about changes to the Redskins scouting department. He didn't think we'd see immediate changes.
Oh I have no idea. I just remember reading in that Wickersham story yesterday that he had his own scouting business and teams were paying him $75k to get his inputs. No idea if these are former scouts or what.

Another bit of info from Breer's interview...

He talked about how McCloughan's approached QBs in the past. He referred to it as "throwing darts at a dart board". Basically, keep drafting QBs over and over in some of the later rounds. GB, even though they had Favre, drafting guys like Hasselbeck, Brunell,and Detmer. They didn't start for GB, but they did turn to picks later. He also cited Russell Wilson, of course, despite the fact that they had just signed Matt Flynn in the offseason.

PFT reporting the deal will be finalized this morning.

next big rock to turnover are the terms, control of roster, and redefined roles of others in the FO. :fingerscrossed:

Users who are viewing this thread