What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Wild Card - Buffalo at Houston*** (3 Viewers)

All time classic thriller. Whatever. This game is garbage. There are a hundred Bills mistakes to point to, but I'm putting it on the overemphasis of using Gore. And I could be wrong but I don't think they ran the ball a single time in OT.
I don’t put it on that. I didn’t like the play calling. Too much Allen (despite a few phenomenal plays) and not enough playing probabilities (in the second half). Allen is going to be very good but he’s not there yet, avoid the risk.

Valuable experience at least.

Bills are a QB away from a great team 
Their skill players still have a lot of room to improve. They rely on Allen making crazy plays partly because they don't have any other way to get it done. John Brown is nice but he's not a WR1, he's a more complimentary piece. The rest of the WRs are practice squad quality. They depend on a rookie TE who never caught a single college TD and about the least athletic RB pair in the league. One a rookie and the other is 36. It's ugly out there. 

That's the type of game that can ruin a young QB. Allen was out there wyldin' in the 4th quarter and OT like he didn't have a lick of football IQ, it's shame they don't have a young explosive RB they could use...

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Their skill players still have a lot of room to improve. They rely on Allen making crazy plays partly because they don't have any other way to get it done. John Brown is nice but he's not a WR1, he's a more complimentary piece. The rest of the WRs are practice squad quality. They depend on a rookie TE who never caught a single college TD and about the least athletic RB pair in the league. One a rookie and the other is 36. It's ugly out there. 
:goodposting:

Singletary is going to be a fantastic RB, regardless of his 40 time. I wouldnt characterize his game as a “lack of athleticism”.

I agree with your premise, but I like Duke Williams. He’s got a chance to be good. 

That's the type of game that can ruin a young QB. Allen was out there wyldin' in the 4th quarter and OT like he didn't have a lick of football IQ.

Great game. Great play by Watson. Allen is 23. Bills fans I was rooting for you, it stings now but the future is bright. 
Funny how different the takeaways here are. 

I am somewhere in the middle. I remember people thinking Lamar was exposed last playoffs so I get that Allen could take another step forward next season. He already improved a lot from his rookie year and I can see some Cam in his game. The difference for me is that even when young Cam struggled, it was typically with accuracy. When Josh Allen struggles, it is often like he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. 

One Josh Allen sweep that actually might have worked well if his lead blockers had blocked the Texans top LB. 
Yup, or Josh Brown making that toe tap catch along the sideline earlier that may have setup a TD. Or Duke Williams coming down with that perfectly thrown ball by Allen in the end zone. Or making a freaking stop on 3rd and 18. Or two guys with a free shot at Watson not tackling each other instead. Or not turtling at the end of the 1st half. Or getting the ball in Singletary’s hands instead of running it up the gut to Gore in crunch time. Etc, etc.

Bottom line is Buffalo has plenty of opportunities and they absolutely choked while Watson put the team on his back and got the win. A lot of Buffalo players and coaches need to take a look at themselves this offseason and just do better.

Sean McDermott especially needs to get over his 1950s view of football and stop going ultra conservative just because they have a 2 TD lead.

Singletary is going to be a fantastic RB, regardless of his 40 time. I wouldnt characterize his game as a “lack of athleticism”.
Agreed, he’s been my favorite runner this season and he’s a decent receiver. They limited his touches this year (IDK Y) but he is a stud.

I think Singletary has a lot of promise and he played well this year. He catches passes, makes defenders miss, reads the plays well. I like him. I am more making a pairing of him and Gore. Together, they don't have much big play/game breaking ability. Also, Singletary is small and has limited NFL experience. Only 2 rushing TDs. The Singletary/Gore combo is well below NFL average IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how different the takeaways here are. 

I am somewhere in the middle. I remember people thinking Lamar was exposed last playoffs so I get that Allen could take another step forward next season. He already improved a lot from his rookie year and I can see some Cam in his game. The difference for me is that even when young Cam struggled, it was typically with accuracy. When Josh Allen struggles, it is often like he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. 
The defense makes multiple plays they should have made on that last drive and Allen is still in business. On the road, in his first playoff game. 

Allen was terrible the entire second half.  His panic cost them the game, and the coaching staff didn’t seem to do anything to stop it.  I’m not sure you can fix that.

I pretty much agree with all of this. 

I really enjoyed this game.   I have no dog in this fight but really think Buffalo got screwed on the penalty.  How they could call a personal foul on that looked pretty weak and it was a game changer..  Watson won the game almost on his own.  People ask why QBs do squats...that is why.

One thing.  Did you notice when Watt was all jacked up on the sideline no player was even looking at him.  Like we are tired of the Watt show.

Did not know that
Well, that’s not actually the rule.

It is now prohibited for a blocker to initiate forcible contact with his head, shoulder or forearm when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line.

So using your hands and/or pushing a guy is allowable. You just can’t forcibly contact using the head, shoulder or forearm. 

Seemed awfully questionable and ticky tack enforcement on a technicality after the refs earlier in the game essentially made up a component of a player “giving himself up” that doesn’t exist anywhere in the rule book to take a touchdown away from the Bills. It would have been an absolutely crazy play and hugely unfortunate call for Houston, but to essentially overturn it based on a “common sense” ruling and then later call Buffalo for that blindside block is really hard to swallow. Not as hard to swallow as Buffalo’s incompetence, but pretty hard none the less.

It got lost by the time we all suffered through the craziness of the second half, but Houston’s punter kept them in the game in the first half and was a huge difference maker. 

It got lost by the time we all suffered through the craziness of the second half, but Houston’s punter kept them in the game in the first half and was a huge difference maker. 
Texans led the league in fewest punt return yards allowed and were ranked 4th overall in special teams by PFF.

Texans led the league in fewest punt return yards allowed and were ranked 4th overall in special teams by PFF.
Special teams was a difference maker down the stretch. Bills are one of the few teams the Texans were kicking touchbacks with. Often they try to drop it on on the 1 to force a return, and usually opponents weren't making the 25 on them. Says something for Buffalo's returners there I think.

Allen was terrible the entire second half.  His panic cost them the game, and the coaching staff didn’t seem to do anything to stop it.  I’m not sure you can fix that.
Well the offensive line allows 3 of 4 pass rushers through on every play. 

Well, that’s not actually the rule.

So using your hands and/or pushing a guy is allowable. You just can’t forcibly contact using the head, shoulder or forearm. 

Seemed awfully questionable and ticky tack enforcement on a technicality after the refs earlier in the game essentially made up a component of a player “giving himself up” that doesn’t exist anywhere in the rule book to take a touchdown away from the Bills. It would have been an absolutely crazy play and hugely unfortunate call for Houston, but to essentially overturn it based on a “common sense” ruling and then later call Buffalo for that blindside block is really hard to swallow. Not as hard to swallow as Buffalo’s incompetence, but pretty hard none the less.
I understand the rules intent is so the defensive player does not get destroyed with a blindside block, that block was just more of getting in the way and was very clean other than being called a penalty.   They could have called Watt for landing on Allen with all his body weight but let it go as they should have, but to the letter of the rule that was a penalty as well,

Users who are viewing this thread