What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ohio hunter ripped for proudly killing bear with spear in Canada (2 Viewers)

i have said this before in other hunting threads but i hunt out of tradition and because my gradpa uncles dad cousins etc all hunt or hunted before they died and yes i eat my deer and grouse and donate some to charity food banks and when i shoot a deer it is excitement because you just made a shot and it happens but it is also sad because you just ended that life and you can see it escaping the animal so that is how i feel when i shoot game take that to the bank brohans 
HFS...YOU EAT GROUSE?...#Ilovetripe

I understand the logic (because some people experience and emotional rush in doing it - kind of like cliff-diving, doing recreational drugs, shooting unnecessarily powerful guns, etc.). I just don't agree with it. 
Yeah, it's nothing like those things.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Folks eat bear.  I do not find it to my palate, but some bear hunters are doing so for more than the trophy.  that said, if I had to guess, I would guess that the majority of bear hunters are trophy hunters, something which is not for me.
I will have to find the reference, but eating bear meat is the number one cause of trichinosis.

Now, having had a bear get into my garbage cans and bird feeders, and being within 6 feet of it without realizing it was there until it ran past me, anyone hunting bear with a spear has bigger cajunas than I do!

Ditkaless Wonders said:
To me the wilds just seem more wild with bear, cougar, badgers, wolverines, martins, bobcats and what not.  I don't hunt predators and I have never trapped.  Just not for me.
A coyote that wants to eat my chickens is a dead coyote.

FreeBaGeL said:
So ethics aside, assuming there was bait in that drum is this really any kind of feat worth bragging about?

I mean, I haven't done a ton of spear throwing but I've got to imagine it doesn't take that much practice to be able to throw it 10 yards with reasonable accuracy.  So you throw a bunch of bait in a can, have some people standing around you with rifles for protection, and wait for a bear to wander in within easyish throwing distance and spear it while it's standing still just trying to eat lunch, then wait for it to slowly bleed out overnight so you don't have to go near it while it has even a shred of dying life left in it?

Doesn't seem that impressive to me.
A ten yard lethal throw is pretty tough. Get yourself a weighted stick and a trash can and try to hit it at 30 feet and you'll see what I mean. (I was an SCA freak once.)

And would you go near a wounded bear? I wouldn't. But then, I wouldn't try to take one down with a spear either.

Da Guru said:
Have a buddy who has way too much time and money.  He and his partner go on these kinds of trip every year.  Last year they went to Alaska and paid tens of thousands for a guaranteed kill of a moose.   Well he showed me the video and a group of guides bait the moose while the so called hunters are hiding in a blind with camo on.  This huge hungry moose come walking up not bothering anyone and starts eating.  All of a sudden they drop it with high powered rifles and are all cheering like they won the Super Bowl or something.  Then they bring the moose head home for their company office.

I asked him.."You call that hunting?"  It sickened me to watch it but I guess it is legal.
They didn't take the meat? Moose meat is great (very lean though.)

I didn't read the article or thread, but let me guess. Person does something and, rather than just being happy with that, feels compelled to post all over Social Media screaming "look at me!!!!" Then get butt-hurt when some people don't like it. Am I close?

Edit: Ah yes, I see it was covered on a page one post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I come from a very large family of hunters rabbits, deer, squirrels, birds, and pretty much everything else that you can eat.  My Dad and Uncles would hunt for racoons as well, more for the excitement of using their dogs, but it just didn't seem fair to me.  With that background I have boys of my own and I just don't have the desire to hunt anymore, but if my kids showed an interest I would show them what I know.  I guess the first thing I would tell them is that killing a large  animal should be a humbling experience to show how fragile life is, and it isn't the time to strut around a peacock.  Also, have a plan what you are going to do with the meat.  I don't understand hunting to just to hunt.  Meh, it is what it is I guess. 

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I do not need to.  I am not a subsistence hunter.  I choose to for a variety of reasons none of which would make sense to you so you may continue to presume that it is an effort to compensate for a small penis.
Sustenance - the word is sustenance...

Is it 1884 where you are?  :lmao:
It is coyote country. I've even had a wolf in my yard. To to mention moose and bear. Right now looking out my window, I could pick off 4 deer. But I don't need their meat to survive, plus neighbors are always bringing me wild game. 

It is coyote country. I've even had a wolf in my yard. To to mention moose and bear. Right now looking out my window, I could pick off 4 deer. But I don't need their meat to survive, plus neighbors are always bringing me wild game. 
I had a kit fox follow me for about 30 feet the other night.  He was in the parking lot behind the vocational college just by the Chevron.

I still don't understand feeling joy or elation from killing any animal for any reason.
this is sort of where i am at like i said there is instant rush because you just made a shot but for me its almost immediately replaced with a somber feeling for the animal that you just took i guess i will say this i enjoy eating food that ive taken from the wild a lot more than i enjoy eating stuff that i know was raised just to be killed wierd ethics i know but i am not a vegetarian so some animal will die for me to have meat and i find it perhaps better to eat one that i took using my skills verus one that was born and raised and killed all within a small confined agrofactory take that to the bank bromigos 

What aspect is immoral in your opinion?  Hunting?  Baiting while hunting?  Hunting with spear?  Being excited and happy when hunting?

Usually when these stories come out the outrage ends up being people who simply don't like hunting, period. It makes them uneasy and they'd rather not see or think about it. 
And yet they still watch the video.  Even with a giant "GRAPHIC IMAGES" warning on it.

No, I've shot a deer and been around cows. I grew up in a farm town. They just, in no way, look 10x bigger than deer (height, length etc). I'm suprised the weight discrepancy is that big. 

In highschool I actually dated a girl that went on to be Dairy Princess at the state fair. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Kay_of_the_Milky_Way
I'd forgotten about Princess Kays.  Of course its been 30 years since I lived in St. Paul.  The Wisconsin analog was Alice in Dairyland.  I don't know whether that has become passé.

ro, I've shot a deer and been around cows. I grew up in a farm town. They just, in no way, look 10x bigger than deer (height, length etc). I'm suprised the weight discrepancy is that big. 

In highschool I actually dated a girl that went on to be Dairy Princess at the state fair. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Kay_of_the_Milky_Way
Most folks don't get up close to a Golden Guernsey or a Holstein.  When they do they are usually a bit surprised by the size.  That said, perhaps my post was misleading because they are not even twice as tall as a deer.  I should have clarified weight, not size. Still, my disgust in the original post is that there are "hunters" who can mistake one for the other.  Those folks are not "hunters" of course, but inexperienced, ill-trained buffoons shooting up the countryside.

There are some folks who figure purchasing a gun and shooting at animals makes them a hunter.  Frankly they are a menace, and their are a lot of menaces out there.  Given this I do understand why folks have strong, and not wholly unjustified, negative opinions about hunters. As in many walks of life the few bad apples can spoil the whole barrel, at least in the eyes of some.

I'd forgotten about Princess Kays.  Of course its been 30 years since I lived in St. Paul.  The Wisconsin analog was Alice in Dairyland.  I don't know whether that has become passé.
It's an honor to have your likeness carved into a block of cold butter. The 2001 Princess Kay went to NYC and did a bunch of off Broadway stuff. She was far too talented and too big of dreams for a small town. 

It's an honor to have your likeness carved into a block of cold butter. The 2001 Princess Kay went to NYC and did a bunch of off Broadway stuff. She was far too talented and too big of dreams for a small town. 
I'd be honored to have my likeness carved into butter, cheese, or a big ol ham with bacon strips for hair.

I'd be honored to have my likeness carved into butter, cheese, or a big ol ham with bacon strips for hair.
man i do not know why us upper midwesterners have a bad rap when it comes to healthy eating brohans take that to the bank

As much angst as it causes you, what he did is legal and what you are proposing isn't. 
Originally I had an additional line in my post that read "For the sensitive hunters in the thread, make it a Nerf ball spear." I see I should have left that line in.

I hunt as well, don't even try to pretend this was "hunting." What this guy did is nothing more than stupid, pointless chest thumping with no other purpose than to fellate his own ego.

I don't understand hunting, therefore have nothing  against those who hunt...
You should post more. :thumbup:

For the record, I don't hunt either. But I get why some do and elect to let them live their lives as they see fit. 

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Understood.

(edited for brevity)

As for a hunting ethos, mine is a reflection of my upbringing and the fact that though we supplemented our diets heavily with game we were in no manner dependent on it. We could easily have chosen to not hunt and had our household economics not effected one wit.
This is an awesome post. DW usually posts good stuff, but this is standout, even for him. :thumbup:

Where the hell are these bear swarms happening?
The fact that you question the nuisance aspect of bears near populated areas is yet another shining example of why you have no business in this thread until you're more educated on the topic. Unfortunately it appears you're the only person here who hasn't picked up on that yet. 

*Edited to fix autocorrect issue

The fact that you question the nuisance aspect of bears near populated areas is yet along shining example of why you have no business in this thread until you're more educated on the topic. Unfortunately it appears you're the only person here who hasn't picked up on that yet. 

Along shining example?

Similar debate going on right now in OCMD where they just passed an emergency ordinance to ban certain types of shark fishing from the beach. A couple of yahoo's started catching them right by a swimming beach and charging money for bystanders to take a couple cranks on the reel and pose for a hero-pic (sitting on the back of the shark and holding its mouth open). Of course, no one would've ever known or cared if it wasn't for social media. 

The fact that you question the nuisance aspect of bears near populated areas is yet another shining example of why you have no business in this thread until you're more educated on the topic. Unfortunately it appears you're the only person here who hasn't picked up on that yet. 

*Edited to fix autocorrect issue
Nice edit

now......did you have a point?

Well sure, but I don't exactly consider throwing some food into barrel and shooting whatever comes to eat it from 10 yards away while it's standing perfectly still particularly impressive either.

To me this looked about as impressive as if someone went to the zoo, found a bear sleeping near the edge of their enclosure, and threw a spear at it from 10 yards away.

I mean, it would be one thing if this dude went out into the woods alone with nothing but a spear and tracked an animal for miles and snuck up on it or something.  But this video reminded me of one of those primadonna WRs that catches a 5 yard out in a preseason game and starts celebrating and taunting like they just won the Super Bowl.
Not to attack, but this post is kinda silly. While I agree that there is a wide gap between baiting a bear and tracking one in the wild, there is a SUBSTANTIALLY wider gap between throwing a spear at a bear in an enclosure, and standing 10yds from one in the wild. 

Not sure if you've ever been in the presence of bears in their natural habitat. I have several times.. mostly in the White mountains of NH and generally just black bears. Black bears are nothing compared to Grizzlies. I'd wager you would find yourself incredibly uncomfortable standing 100yds from one in the wilderness, let alone 10yds.... so forgive me if I find your questioning this guy's manhood a little entertaining. I would not have the balls to get within 10yds of a wild grizzly with nothing but a spear. I'm guessing few of us in here do. 

His reaction was a bit over the top, agreed. However I can imagine there is a pretty intense adrenaline rush associated with such a feat, so I can forgive him a bit. Comparing him to a primadonna WR catching a 5yd pass in a preseason game is silly as well. This is an elite javelin athlete hunting one of the most dangerous animals on the planet with the most primitive of weapons at an extraordinarily dangerous (for him) range. Anyone who sees this as "fish in a barrel" is simply horribly misguided.  I personally hope this hunter harvested the meat from this kill, as it makes the kill a bit more legitimate in my eyes. 

Anyways... i"m not a hunter, myself. I recognize the baiting aspect took some of the shine off this, but it still required massive balls and significant skill to pull off.

i love a thread where nonhunters argue with antihunters about hunting which neither of them do makes sense take that to the bank brohans 

Users who are viewing this thread