What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ohio hunter ripped for proudly killing bear with spear in Canada (1 Viewer)

Understood.

For me hunting and fishing was a male bonding experience across generations.  No matter how busy my Dad, Grandpa and Uncles were, no matter how conflicted were the schedules between my family and the male cousins, we all knew that twice a year we would have a chance to get together without females around to enjoy ourselves.

In the spring time that was on opening day week for fishing. We kids were allowed to skip two days of school and we would all go to a cabin the family owned on Lake Owen.  We kids would anticipate the time.  We would save our money to buy some new lures which we might use, keep, or trade with the cousins though we actually did most of our fishing with live bait.  We would work with my Dad to make sure our boat was sanded, waxed, and in all manner ready to go (A precursor of what we would do several times over for the other boats we had at our lake home)  We would head north and see family.  The fishing was good.  We would fish until we had caught what we would eat that night.  Generally this was a very short time.  Then we boys would swim, ski, and hang out.  After dinner we would sit around a fire with the old folks, talk, and then go in and play poker.  On the final day we might catch a few extra to clean and freeze to take home.  If it had been an early spring we might find some scallions and asparagus to take home.

In the fall there would be pretty much an analog of the spring trip except hunting rather than fishing.  In Wisconsin at the time you could get a 'party ticket' meaning five guys could take six deer with one of them being a doe if you liked.  We processed all of the meat.  Our family thanksgiving featured nothing store bought.  Typically we would have venison, pheasant, goose, duck and a turkey in the years we could get one (turkeys not being plentiful in Wisconsin in those years). We had a taste for wild game, eventually, and we ate a bit of it, supplemented by animals raised on our farm (We always kept a few sheep, pigs, and would take a steer or two in trade.  We boys were responsible for these animals, and for keeping them well away from the dairy cows.).  I had no illusions about food since we had to castrate those spring lambs and had to slaughter the animals we would eat and then take them to be processed.  Often we would have to work for the old German guy who processed the animals so I understood the matter very clearly.

As I got older, into my teens, and started enjoying intoxication I would still go out with my Grandfather.  He liked hunting my dog and he enjoyed deer hunting with me as others in the family dropped away. I remember one year he got curious that I had not taken a shot.  He knew I had great opportunities.  He checked my gun and found it unloaded. He asked me about it.  I told him I was high and it wouldn't be responsible to hunt in that condition or to even have a loaded gun, but I just liked walking the woods with him and hauling out his kill (he was getting too old to have him do so by that time).  He never told my father about me stoning.

To me hunting and game animals are a part of my upbringing.  I understand that this is becoming less common and that some are put off by the activity.  It seems cruel.  Maybe it is, but it is nature's cruelty.  We eat.  To do so we kill, directly or indirectly through others.  For me it is not Thanksgiving without wild game on the table.  I don't know how some can eat those hormone, steroid, and antibiotic feed critters which get no exercise and live in their own filth.  That said I don't condemn them or judge them for the perspectives with which they were raised.

In my home my wife does not want to see any game on her table.  She is a vegetarian.  She tolerates store bought meet being served or consumed by others, but she finds hunting repulsive.  I respect that.  When I have a craving a cook what I have out of the deep freeze in the garage outside and eat it at times I know she will not be around.  I respect her choices and she sort of tolerates mine. 

As for a hunting ethos, mine is a reflection of my upbringing and the fact that though we supplemented our diets heavily with game we were in no manner dependent on it. We could easily have chosen to not hunt and had our household economics not effected one wit.
You monster.

Understood.

For me hunting and fishing was a male bonding experience across generations.  No matter how busy my Dad, Grandpa and Uncles were, no matter how conflicted were the schedules between my family and the male cousins, we all knew that twice a year we would have a chance to get together without females around to enjoy ourselves.

In the spring time that was on opening day week for fishing. We kids were allowed to skip two days of school and we would all go to a cabin the family owned on Lake Owen.  We kids would anticipate the time.  We would save our money to buy some new lures which we might use, keep, or trade with the cousins though we actually did most of our fishing with live bait.  We would work with my Dad to make sure our boat was sanded, waxed, and in all manner ready to go (A precursor of what we would do several times over for the other boats we had at our lake home)  We would head north and see family.  The fishing was good.  We would fish until we had caught what we would eat that night.  Generally this was a very short time.  Then we boys would swim, ski, and hang out.  After dinner we would sit around a fire with the old folks, talk, and then go in and play poker.  On the final day we might catch a few extra to clean and freeze to take home.  If it had been an early spring we might find some scallions and asparagus to take home.

In the fall there would be pretty much an analog of the spring trip except hunting rather than fishing.  In Wisconsin at the time you could get a 'party ticket' meaning five guys could take six deer with one of them being a doe if you liked.  We processed all of the meat.  Our family thanksgiving featured nothing store bought.  Typically we would have venison, pheasant, goose, duck and a turkey in the years we could get one (turkeys not being plentiful in Wisconsin in those years). We had a taste for wild game, eventually, and we ate a bit of it, supplemented by animals raised on our farm (We always kept a few sheep, pigs, and would take a steer or two in trade.  We boys were responsible for these animals, and for keeping them well away from the dairy cows.).  I had no illusions about food since we had to castrate those spring lambs and had to slaughter the animals we would eat and then take them to be processed.  Often we would have to work for the old German guy who processed the animals so I understood the matter very clearly.

As I got older, into my teens, and started enjoying intoxication I would still go out with my Grandfather.  He liked hunting my dog and he enjoyed deer hunting with me as others in the family dropped away. I remember one year he got curious that I had not taken a shot.  He knew I had great opportunities.  He checked my gun and found it unloaded. He asked me about it.  I told him I was high and it wouldn't be responsible to hunt in that condition or to even have a loaded gun, but I just liked walking the woods with him and hauling out his kill (he was getting too old to have him do so by that time).  He never told my father about me stoning.

To me hunting and game animals are a part of my upbringing.  I understand that this is becoming less common and that some are put off by the activity.  It seems cruel.  Maybe it is, but it is nature's cruelty.  We eat.  To do so we kill, directly or indirectly through others.  For me it is not Thanksgiving without wild game on the table.  I don't know how some can eat those hormone, steroid, and antibiotic feed critters which get no exercise and live in their own filth.  That said I don't condemn them or judge them for the perspectives with which they were raised.

In my home my wife does not want to see any game on her table.  She is a vegetarian.  She tolerates store bought meet being served or consumed by others, but she finds hunting repulsive.  I respect that.  When I have a craving a cook what I have out of the deep freeze in the garage outside and eat it at times I know she will not be around.  I respect her choices and she sort of tolerates mine. 

As for a hunting ethos, mine is a reflection of my upbringing and the fact that though we supplemented our diets heavily with game we were in no manner dependent on it. We could easily have chosen to not hunt and had our household economics not effected one wit.
Who's poop smells better?  I imagine vegetarians are repulsed by digested meat, but com'on, cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts?

Who's poop smells better?  I imagine vegetarians are repulsed by digested meat, but com'on, cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts?
As far as I know my wife neither farts nor poops.  I do know that I announce my presence with authority and that I can actually leave dents in the porcelain.

so dw you and me brohan we are in the same general area but not the same general income level i could only dream of being on beaver lake but hey man you get it hunting is actually a consitutional right in scanny and it is a right of passage all of our older generations wore red plaid and shot crazy post wwi rilfles at deer it just is what it is my uncle used a enfield bolt long story short i think that tradition drives hunting in wisconsin and that a majority of us that take prey gun or bow do so with great respect for the prey we take and then consume and not in any sense out of bloodsport its a heritage and that heritage to me translates to memories of five card stud around a formica table in oneida county and some of the best venison chillie ever made take that to the bank brochacho 

As far as I know my wife neither farts nor poops.  I do know that I announce my presence with authority and that I can actually leave dents in the porcelain.
My SO said a long time ago you know when you really love some one when you feel comfortable farting in front of them.  She must really love me because she does a lot of nasty things way past farting in front of me. 

PS. Her brussles sprout farts clear the dogs out of the room.  She's hot tho. 

Last edited by a moderator:
so dw you and me brohan we are in the same general area but not the same general income level i could only dream of being on beaver lake but hey man you get it hunting is actually a consitutional right in scanny and it is a right of passage all of our older generations wore red plaid and shot crazy post wwi rilfles at deer it just is what it is my uncle used a enfield bolt long story short i think that tradition drives hunting in wisconsin and that a majority of us that take prey gun or bow do so with great respect for the prey we take and then consume and not in any sense out of bloodsport its a heritage and that heritage to me translates to memories of five card stud around a formica table in oneida county and some of the best venison chillie ever made take that to the bank brochacho 
Yep, five card stud, euchre, sheepshead, booray.  All played traditionally or nearly exclusively in the upper Midwest. 

Back when we lived on Beaver Lake there were more modest homes and even some fairly tiny summer rentals.  I understand  that today it is all Mansions.  The last time I was back there I saw only a handful of homes still standing from when we were there.  Ours was built in the 1890's and renovated in the 20's and again in the 50's. Our water sources was the lake itself pumped to a 2000 gallon wooden barrel and then gravity feed to the house.  We only had water on the main level and the basement.  Heat was fuel oil and fireplaces.  When my parents sold in the 80's the home had no value but the land sold for a million dollars.  We had a large parcel, on a fair sized hill but on a point, with a sandy lake bottom, and with a boathouse.  The boathouse made it valuable since during those years the law prevented further building in the water.  Basically no further boathouses could be built but existing ones could be renovated or updated so long as the foundations footprint was not changed.  The purchasers tore down all of my memories and built a fairly impressive neo-modern mansion.

My hunting memories are similar to yours.  All of the older generation used 30.06 feed through World War One surplus rifles, often ones they themselves had carried during the war.  That excepts, of course, shotgun season.

When I was a boy we lived there during the summers and in Elm Grove from Labor Day to Memorial Day.  At that time that area was still rural, though you would not know it from the looks today.   You could still hunt there.  My Grandpa had a farm in Beloit, my Dad owned two, one out in Waukesha and one up in Horicon.  Before getting the lake home we spent our summers and weekends working those places. Even after we were expected to do so unless we had jobs or school or athletic obligations.

What a disgusting tool. A giant garbage can bait, then a javeillin thrower throws that spear into a bear and laughs about it?? WTF? Disgusting POS. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread