What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ohio hunter ripped for proudly killing bear with spear in Canada (1 Viewer)

Three pages and no mention of not uploading it if you don't want a reaction?! If people showed a tenth of the interest in exercising judgement in their own lives that they do in asking for it from and exercising it upon strangers, we'd have a lot less stuff to complain about. Or is that the poin......HEY! Laaaawwn. Yes, you did, you ste....gotta go.
I mentioned this on page 1.

Good for him. Wouldn't infringe on his rights in the slightest, people should do what they want, and enjoy their freedoms. I might not want to hang out with the guy, but do what you like. I would just add that if you like your freedom to do things, let's not infringe on other peoples rights to like to do things as well, ya know?
What about the Bears right to live?

The preoccupation of some men with the size of other men's genitalia is more than a little disturbing. 

I do not need to.  I am not a subsistence hunter.  I choose to for a variety of reasons none of which would make sense to you so you may continue to presume that it is an effort to compensate for a small penis.
The aspect of hunting that I do understand is the knowledge that you have the ability to feed your family if SHTF.  What I don't like, and find disgusting, is the killing of trapped/baited animals and the perverse glee some hunters seem to get from it.

I find it tragic that other men need to kill other creatures needlessly to compensate for the inability to satisfy a woman

How many hours a day do you spend thinking about strange men's genetalia and sex lives? 

1) 1-3 hours 

2) 4-6 hours 

3) 7-10 hours 

4) more than 10 hours 

I'll hang up and listen 

How many hours a day do you spend thinking about strange men's genetalia and sex lives? 

1) 1-3 hours 

2) 4-6 hours 

3) 7-10 hours 

4) more than 10 hours*

I'll hang up and listen 
*If thoughts lasting more than 10 hours, consult your psychiatrist.

Last edited by a moderator:
The aspect of hunting that I do understand is the knowledge that you have the ability to feed your family if SHTF.  What I don't like, and find disgusting, is the killing of trapped/baited animals and the perverse glee some hunters seem to get from it.
Understood.

For me hunting and fishing was a male bonding experience across generations.  No matter how busy my Dad, Grandpa and Uncles were, no matter how conflicted were the schedules between my family and the male cousins, we all knew that twice a year we would have a chance to get together without females around to enjoy ourselves.

In the spring time that was on opening day week for fishing. We kids were allowed to skip two days of school and we would all go to a cabin the family owned on Lake Owen.  We kids would anticipate the time.  We would save our money to buy some new lures which we might use, keep, or trade with the cousins though we actually did most of our fishing with live bait.  We would work with my Dad to make sure our boat was sanded, waxed, and in all manner ready to go (A precursor of what we would do several times over for the other boats we had at our lake home).  Working like that taught us some skills and gave us time to talk we would not otherwise have made.  We would head north and see family.  The fishing was good.  We would fish until we had caught what we would eat that night.  Generally this was a very short time.  Then we boys would swim, ski, and hang out.  After dinner we would sit around a fire with the old folks, talk, and then go in and play poker.  On the final day we might catch a few extra to clean and freeze to take home.  If it had been an early spring we might find some scallions and asparagus to take home.

In the fall there would be pretty much an analog of the spring trip except hunting rather than fishing.  In Wisconsin at the time you could get a 'party ticket' meaning five guys could take six deer with one of them being a doe if you liked.  We processed all of the meat.  Our family thanksgiving featured nothing store bought.  Typically we would have venison, pheasant, goose, duck and a turkey in the years we could get one (turkeys not being plentiful in Wisconsin in those years but having made a bit of a comeback since). We had a taste for wild game and we ate a bit of it, supplemented by animals raised on our farm (We always kept a few sheep, pigs, and would take a steer or two in trade.  We boys were responsible for these animals, and for keeping them well away from the dairy cows.).  I had no illusions about food since we had to castrate those spring lambs and had to slaughter the animals we would eat and then take them to be processed.  Some folks have so distanced themselves from the production of their food that they actually forget that the food they eat was once just as living as the food we hunted and farmed.  Often we would have to work for the old German guy who processed the animals so I understood the matter very clearly seeing, helping, and cleaning up after.

As I got older, into my teens, and started enjoying intoxication I would still go out with my Grandfather.  He liked hunting my dog (which is to say using her to assist him in hunting, not trying to track and shoot my dog) and he enjoyed deer hunting with me as others in the family dropped away and found other ways to occupy their time. I remember one year he got curious that I had not taken a shot.  He knew I had great opportunities.  He checked my gun and found it unloaded. He asked me about it.  I told him I was high and it wouldn't be responsible to hunt in that condition or to even have a loaded gun, but I just liked walking the woods with him and hauling out his kill (he was getting too old to have him do so by that time).  I told him I carried the gun so he would not feel like I was just there to look after him, but to hunt also. I told him I thought it would make us both more comfortable.  He never told my father about me stoning.

To me hunting and game animals are a part of my upbringing.  I understand that this is becoming less common and that some are put off by the activity.  It seems cruel.  Maybe it is, but it is nature's cruelty.  We eat.  To do so we kill, directly or indirectly through others.  We did our own work in this regard, others, well they contract it out, whether they think of it that way or not. For me it is not Thanksgiving without wild game on the table.  I don't know how some can eat those hormone, steroid, and antibiotic feed critters which get no exercise and live in their own filth.  That said I don't condemn them or judge them for the perspectives with which they were raised.  It takes all kinds.  Some hunt, some buy from corporate stores, some from coopts or organic, free range, emotionally supportive human harvesters. 

In my home my wife does not want to see any game on her table.  She is a vegetarian.  She tolerates store bought meet being served or consumed by others, but she finds hunting repulsive. I do not understand that, but I respect that.  When I have a craving I cook what I have out of the deep freeze in the garage outside and eat it at times I know she will not be around.  I respect her choices and she sort of tolerates mine. 

As for a hunting ethos, mine is a reflection of my upbringing and the fact that though we supplemented our diets heavily with game we were in no manner dependent on it. We could easily have chosen to not hunt and had our household economics not effected one wit. A potentially failed hunt would not have ever left us hungry,  That fact probably shaped the intensity with which we would pursue the activity.

Understood.

For me hunting and fishing was a male bonding experience across generations.  No matter how busy my Dad, Grandpa and Uncles were, no matter how conflicted were the schedules between my family and the male cousins, we all knew that twice a year we would have a chance to get together without females around to enjoy ourselves.

In the spring time that was on opening day week for fishing. We kids were allowed to skip two days of school and we would all go to a cabin the family owned on Lake Owen.  We kids would anticipate the time.  We would save our money to buy some new lures which we might use, keep, or trade with the cousins though we actually did most of our fishing with live bait.  We would work with my Dad to make sure our boat was sanded, waxed, and in all manner ready to go (A precursor of what we would do several times over for the other boats we had at our lake home)  We would head north and see family.  The fishing was good.  We would fish until we had caught what we would eat that night.  Generally this was a very short time.  Then we boys would swim, ski, and hang out.  after dinner we would sit around a fire with the old folks, talk, and then go in and play poker.  On the final day we might catch a few extra to clean and freeze to take home.  If it had been an early spring we might find some scallions and asparagus to take home.

In the fall there would be pretty much an analog of the spring trip except hunting rather than fishing.  In Wisconsin at the time you could get a 'party ticket' meaning five guys could take six deer with one of them being a doe if you liked.  We processed all of the meat.  Our family thanksgiving featured nothing store bought.  Typically we would have venison, pheasant, goose, duck and a turkey in the years we could get one (turkeys not being plentiful in Wisconsin in those years). We had a taste for wild game, eventually, and we ate a bit of it, supplemented buy animals raised on our farm (We always kept a few sheep, pigs, and would take a steer or two in trade).  I had no illusions about food since we had to castrate those spring lambs and had to slaughter the animals we ate and then take them to be processed.  Often we would have to work for the old German guy who processed the animals so I understood the matter very clearly.

As I got older, into my teens, and started enjoying intoxication I would still go out with my Grandfather.  He liked hunting my dog and he enjoyed deer hunting with me as others in the family dropped away. I remember one year he got curious that I had not taken a shot.  he knew I had great opportunities.  He checked my gun and found it unloaded. he asked me about it.  I told him I was high and it wouldn't be responsible to hunt, but I just liked walking the woods with him and hauling out his kill (he was getting too old to have him do so by that time).  He never told my father about me stoning.

To me hunting and game animals are a part of my upbringing.  I understand that this is becoming less common and that some are put off by the activity.  It seems cruel.  Maybe it is, but it is natures cruelty.  We eat.  To do so we kill, directly or indirectly through others.  For me it is not thanksgiving without wild game on the table.  I don't know how some can eat those hormone, steroid, and antibiotic feed critters which get no exercise and live in their own filth.  That said I don't condemn them or judge them for the perspectives with which they were raised.

As for a hunting ethos, mine is a reflection of my upbringing and the fact that though we supplemented our diets heavily with game we were in no manner dependent on it. We could easily have chosen to not hunt and had our household economics not effected one wit.
:shrug:  This seems pretty normal to me. 

The act of baiting a bear with food, just so you can make a stupid video killing it with a spear, seems like nothing more than a sick perversion to killing things. 

Bucky86 said:

The act of baiting a bear with food, just so you can make a stupid video killing it with a spear, seems like nothing more than a sick perversion to killing things. 
It is not my cup of tea, certainly.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Understood.

In the spring time that was on opening day week for fishing. We kids were allowed to skip two days of school and we would all go to a cabin the family owned on Lake Owen.  We kids would anticipate the time.  We would save our money to buy some new lures which we might use, keep, or trade with the cousins though we actually did most of our fishing with live bait.  We would work with my Dad to make sure our boat was sanded, waxed, and in all manner ready to go (A precursor of what we would do several times over for the other boats we had at our lake home)  We would head north and see family.  The fishing was good.  We would fish until we had caught what we would eat that night.  Generally this was a very short time.  Then we boys would swim, ski, and hang out.  After dinner we would sit around a fire with the old folks, talk, and then go in and play poker.  On the final day we might catch a few extra to clean and freeze to take home.  If it had been an early spring we might find some scallions and asparagus to take home.

In the fall there would be pretty much an analog of the spring trip except hunting rather than fishing.  In Wisconsin at the time you could get a 'party ticket' meaning five guys could take six deer with one of them being a doe if you liked.  We processed all of the meat.  Our family thanksgiving featured nothing store bought.  Typically we would have venison, pheasant, goose, duck and a turkey in the years we could get one (turkeys not being plentiful in Wisconsin in those years). We had a taste for wild game, eventually, and we ate a bit of it, supplemented by animals raised on our farm (We always kept a few sheep, pigs, and would take a steer or two in trade.  We boys were responsible for these animals, and for keeping them well away from the dairy cows.).  I had no illusions about food since we had to castrate those spring lambs and had to slaughter the animals we would eat and then take them to be processed.  Often we would have to work for the old German guy who processed the animals so I understood the matter very clearly.

As I got older, into my teens, and started enjoying intoxication I would still go out with my Grandfather.  He liked hunting my dog and he enjoyed deer hunting with me as others in the family dropped away. I remember one year he got curious that I had not taken a shot.  He knew I had great opportunities.  He checked my gun and found it unloaded. He asked me about it.  I told him I was high and it wouldn't be responsible to hunt in that condition or to even have a loaded gun, but I just liked walking the woods with him and hauling out his kill (he was getting too old to have him do so by that time).  He never told my father about me stoning.

To me hunting and game animals are a part of my upbringing.  I understand that this is becoming less common and that some are put off by the activity.  It seems cruel.  Maybe it is, but it is nature's cruelty.  We eat.  To do so we kill, directly or indirectly through others.  For me it is not Thanksgiving without wild game on the table.  I don't know how some can eat those hormone, steroid, and antibiotic feed critters which get no exercise and live in their own filth.  That said I don't condemn them or judge them for the perspectives with which they were raised.

In my home my wife does not want to see any game on her table.  She is a vegetarian.  She tolerates store bought meet being served or consumed by others, but she finds hunting repulsive.  I respect that.  When I have a craving a cook what I have out of the deep freeze in the garage outside and eat it at times I know she will not be around.  I respect her choices and she sort of tolerates mine. 

As for a hunting ethos, mine is a reflection of my upbringing and the fact that though we supplemented our diets heavily with game we were in no manner dependent on it. We could easily have chosen to not hunt and had our household economics not effected one wit.
How "deep" does this male bonding go?

ILUVBEER99 said:
More impressive than killing a bear with a gun though, no?

Not a hunter but gotta think it's WAY harder to spear a bear than shoot one.
Well sure, but I don't exactly consider throwing some food into barrel and shooting whatever comes to eat it from 10 yards away while it's standing perfectly still particularly impressive either.

To me this looked about as impressive as if someone went to the zoo, found a bear sleeping near the edge of their enclosure, and threw a spear at it from 10 yards away.

I mean, it would be one thing if this dude went out into the woods alone with nothing but a spear and tracked an animal for miles and snuck up on it or something.  But this video reminded me of one of those primadonna WRs that catches a 5 yard out in a preseason game and starts celebrating and taunting like they just won the Super Bowl.

Well sure, but I don't exactly consider throwing some food into barrel and shooting whatever comes to eat it from 10 yards away while it's standing perfectly still particularly impressive either.

To me this looked about as impressive as if someone went to the zoo, found a bear sleeping near the edge of their enclosure, and threw a spear at it from 10 yards away.

I mean, it would be one thing if this dude went out into the woods alone with nothing but a spear and tracked an animal for miles and snuck up on it or something.  But this video reminded me of one of those primadonna WRs that catches a 5 yard out in a preseason game and starts celebrating and taunting like they just won the Super Bowl.
Now, if this guy had raw meat hanging from his jacket to lure the bear in and was armed with nothing but a spear, I'd be pretty impressed.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Because you can get decent steaks out of them and it is illegal to hunt steers belonging to others.

In that vein I come from a dairy farming family.  We would occasionally have hunters shoot our cows, believing, they would say, that they thought they saw a deer.  Incredible really, the cow being more than 10 times larger.
Wait what?

weight wise cows are probably ten times bigger than a whitetaili i bet take that to the bank

i do not really get the lets use really outdated hunting weapons to kill stuff crowd a while back here in scanny there was a move to bring back atlatl hunting i am not joking but that does not make sense no one says you know what lets build this skyscraper using earth ramps instead of a crane or hey doc saw up my hips without anasthetic so what is the draw about killing something using old outdated tools instead of making a clean quick ethical kill using the best weapon available and causing the prey the less suffering possible but hey thats just me take that to the bank brohans 

i do not really get the lets use really outdated hunting weapons to kill stuff crowd a while back here in scanny there was a move to bring back atlatl hunting i am not joking but that does not make sense no one says you know what lets build this skyscraper using earth ramps instead of a crane or hey doc saw up my hips without anasthetic so what is the draw about killing something using old outdated tools instead of making a clean quick ethical kill using the best weapon available and causing the prey the less suffering possible but hey thats just me take that to the bank brohans 
Couldn't of said it any better myself.

Someone should put a 6 pack in that guys backyard and spear his ### while he's knocking one back. Don't forget to film it and put it on youtube...

Someone should put a 6 pack in that guys backyard and spear his ### while he's knocking one back. Don't forget to film it and put it on youtube...
As much angst as it causes you, what he did is legal and what you are proposing isn't. 

As anyone mentioned that in some areas bear hunting licences are given out in numbers that keep the bear population in check, especially around populated areas?

i have said this before in other hunting threads but i hunt out of tradition and because my gradpa uncles dad cousins etc all hunt or hunted before they died and yes i eat my deer and grouse and donate some to charity food banks and when i shoot a deer it is excitement because you just made a shot and it happens but it is also sad because you just ended that life and you can see it escaping the animal so that is how i feel when i shoot game take that to the bank brohans 

mr roboto said:
The video with the emotion, metal music at the end, go pro on the spear etc is what's making this a bigger story.  If the story was 'guy hunts bear with spear' with a pic of him by the bear, meh not too much outrage. 

I'm slightly pro hunting and feel a bit...uneasy about this video. 
This is where I am, although I'm probably slightly anti-hunting personally. 

That said, if what this guy did was legal I have zero problems with it in terms of any sort of sanction or punishment or anything.  Of course, I don't include calling him a weirdo or other such name for finding it entertaining to graphically videotape the killing of an animal as a "sanction" or "punishment."    

I do not understand the logic in killing another organism for sport that has the capacity to feel pain.  
I understand the logic (because some people experience and emotional rush in doing it - kind of like cliff-diving, doing recreational drugs, shooting unnecessarily powerful guns, etc.). I just don't agree with it. 

Bucky86 said:
Agreed.  While I have zero desire to hunt, DW describes the sentiment of like 80% of my friends, classmates, and colleagues in Minnesota.  And I consider them to be good, reasonable people. I think this is definitely an issue/activity where reasonable minds can differ and, in those situations, such activity should never be criminalized and opposing opinions probably kept to themselves. 

Users who are viewing this thread