What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Packers @ Seahawks Game Thread (1 Viewer)

Very disappointed with ARod on that last drive. Something seemed off, between his execution and his drive to finish a game out like he used to???

Very disappointed with ARod on that last drive. Something seemed off, between his execution and his drive to finish a game out like he used to???
Hard to be on when you have a doofus coach who doesn't trust you on 4th and 2 with game on the line.

Is ARod tanking to 100% make sure MM gets fired. That last drive looked he didn’t even try to get the ball to his receiver on the 3rd down.

Is ARod tanking to 100% make sure MM gets fired. That last drive looked he didn’t even try to get the ball to his receiver on the 3rd down.
He ignored Aaron Jones on a couple wide open check downs too and took sacks.  Something is off with Rodgers too

I think you gotta put even more blame on Rodgers for not shooing the punt team back off the field a la Peyton.  Everyone on the field, in the stands, and watching at home knew the game was over with a punt.

He ignored Aaron Jones on a couple wide open check downs too and took sacks.  Something is off with Rodgers too
I still have no idea why Rodgers resigned with this team, considering they have shown over and over that they are incapable of surrounding him with the necessary talent to seriously contend for the Super Bowl.  Yeah, yeah, he got paid, but he could have gotten paid a ton elsewhere and had a better shot to win more rings.  Eight years from now, Rodgers will be retired and a few years away from being a first ballot Hall of Famer, while also being the "Why did he only win one ring?" guy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have no idea why Rodgers resigned with this team, considering they have shown over and over that they are incapable of surrounding him with the necessary talent to seriously contend for the Super Bowl.  Yeah, yeah, he got paid, but he could have gotten paid a ton elsewhere and had a better shot to win more rings.  Eight years from now, Rodgers will be retired and a few years away from being a first ballot Hall of Famer, while also being the "Why did he only win one ring?" guy. 
I'm telling you, you can't build a good team around a franchise QB (after his rookie contract).

I'm telling you, you can't build a good team around a franchise QB (after his rookie contract).
There is some truth to this statement. You can't build a dominant team. NE is an exception because Brady works cheap. The QB eats so much salary cap that you have to do 1 of 2 things. Powerhouse D or point scoring machine. You can't have both. Look at the saints, falcons, Pitt. All have weak defenses because the $ is tied up in O. You can't afford top $ defensive players. The rams and KC will join them soon. 

This is so wrong it hurts. 

First, Brady crushes this argument by himself. 

Second, using Seattle as an example is so so wrong. Seattle paid everyone with the exception of one player. Are you seriously going to argue that Bruce Irvin was the difference between staying competitive and falling apart? Just like other teams they must replace talent with talent. When they don't draft well or choose well in free agency they go into decline. 

Are you aware of where Brady ranks on the list of QB salaries?
Henry Ford wrote an interesting take on Brady's actual salary. 

It was a great dissection of it. It's higher than one might think. 

But I'm just spitballing, and not trying to disagree. I wanna give props to my man @Henry Fordfor breaking it down.  

But I'm just spitballing, and not trying to disagree. I wanna give props to my man @Henry Fordfor breaking it down.  
I believe he counts 14 mil against the cap this year and 13 mil last yr?

You're too kind.

The 2010 extension made him the highest paid player in football, and the below is a breakdown of what actually happened while he was repeatedly "renegotiating to take a lower salary."

Just to illustrate how this worked with Brady, here's what he should have earned from 2010-2014 according to the extension he negotiated in 2010 (for the 2011 season and beyond: $78.5 million. 

Here's what he actually earned:

2010: $16 million signing bonus, $3 million roster bonus, $7.5 million salary ($26.5 million).

2011: $4 million roster bonus, $5.75 million salary ($9.75 million).

2012: $6 million roster bonus, $4.8 million signing bonus, $950,000 salary, $250,000 workout bonus ($12 million).

2013: $30 million signing bonus, $1 million salary ($31 million).

2014: $2 million salary.

That's $81.25 million

Tom Brady made $2.75 million more than his original contract said he would, which was the highest contract in the NFL at the time and everyone thinks he renegotiated to help the team and agreed to take less money.

That's some impressive accounting and PR.

You're too kind.

The 2010 extension made him the highest paid player in football, and the below is a breakdown of what actually happened while he was repeatedly "renegotiating to take a lower salary."
So all that matters for this conversation is his cap hit every yr.

Is that the # in parentheses?

So all that matters fir this conversation is his car hit every yr.

Is that the # in parentheses?
I didn't do it for cap hit.  The number in parentheses is the total amount of money in his pocket for a given year.

Edit: rock seemed to want that breakdown I did a month and a half ago.  So I quoted it.

I didn't do it for cap hit.  The number in parentheses is the total amount of money in his pocket for a given year.

Edit: rock seemed to want that breakdown I did a month and a half ago.  So I quoted it.
Oh, ok.

The discussion was how it's tough to build a team around a highly paid QB

Basically the Patriots' concept (and the one lots of teams should be using) is to take those star QBs, give them a huge chunk of change frontloading the contract and extend it out as long as possible to give the player guaranteed money up front and the team cap security in the future.

If you do that, building around a star QB theoretically becomes significantly easier than building around a star "anything else."  Because a QB is significantly less likely to get a season- or career-ending injury than, say, a DE or LB or RB or WR or whatever else you'd build your team around.  You can't front-load star players other than QBs that heavily and make out long term, because once one of those guys goes down you've lost a huge amount of money on the deal.

Never judge your team's offense by how it does against Miami. After last week's destruction of Miami, it looked like the Packet offense was complete with a great running and passi game. The Lions thought the same thing a few weeks ago. 

You pay a QB or he goes somewhere else and you pray you draft another one wishing you had a good QB. You don't let them walk. It is what it is.

Seattle has drafted poorly last few years. Not sure why GB sucks. 
From @Dr. Danin the Packers thread:

Q: What are the 2 things all of these players have in common?

Damarius Randall
Quinten Rollins 
Ty Montgomery
Jake Ryan
Brett Hundley
Aaron Ripkowski

A: They are our entire 2015 draft class AND they are all no longer on the team
Seattle doesn't have a monopoly on bad drafting recently.

From @Dr. Danin the Packers thread:

Seattle doesn't have a monopoly on bad drafting recently.
Definitely not.

You are going to pay someone on your team. You pay a franchise QB when you find one is my point, easiest way to improve a team. If you can get creative with their deal and salary cap then even better.

QB's are so good coming out of college now that you can get a guy that can step in a lead the team immediately. Seahawks got this with Wilson. When you hit that lotto ticket you need to cash in because in 4 years you will be paying that guy, I'm looking at you Rams and KC.

It baffles me that anyone would point to Seattle as an example of paying the QB means they took too much of a cap hit. They paid EVERYONE. Yes, everyone. All the stars were signed to new deals. Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Wright, Baldwin. They all got into new contracts. All of them. Hell, they even threw money at free agents to boot while drafting a ton of O-linemen

The reality? Players get hurt. They're still paying Chancellor (next year too). It happens. They can't all stay healthy. The real decline happened not due to a money shortage, but because guys got hurt. It happens. 

Users who are viewing this thread