What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning won't delay $28M bonus (1 Viewer)

Hoss_Cartwright

Footballguy
Report: Peyton Manning won't delay $28M bonus ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that Peyton Manning "will not push back" his $28 million roster bonus and will either stay with the Colts or be released by the Colts.

Per Schefter, the sides are dug in. Owner Jim Irsay isn't going to trade Manning, and Manning won't restructure his contract to allow the Colts to get something in return. The $28 million bonus is due on March 8. Irsay is staunch in his commitment to pay Manning if he's healthy, but he's going to have to receive medical clearance from neck surgery in order to see the money

WOW!! I thought he had already agreed to push back the date on this. I guess the Colts have no other choice but to release him.

Report: Peyton Manning won't delay $28M bonus ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that Peyton Manning "will not push back" his $28 million roster bonus and will either stay with the Colts or be released by the Colts.Per Schefter, the sides are dug in. Owner Jim Irsay isn't going to trade Manning, and Manning won't restructure his contract to allow the Colts to get something in return. The $28 million bonus is due on March 8. Irsay is staunch in his commitment to pay Manning if he's healthy, but he's going to have to receive medical clearance from neck surgery in order to see the moneyWOW!! I thought he had already agreed to push back the date on this. I guess the Colts have no other choice but to release him.
No player is worth a 28m bonus. Not in terms of putting together an entire team within the nfl salary cap system

Firing Caldwell has to be the final nail in the Manning coffin, doesn't it? If Manning has to learn a new system anyway, he'd likely be happy to go somewhere else where its not a rebuild.

Releasing Manning at this point seems to be the only logical result. If Irsay wants to pay him $28MM for past accomplishments and loyalty, he isn't a very smart businessman - and being where he is I have to guess he is a smart businessman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manning is selfish ##### and he is the reason the colts couldn't get quality pieces to put around him.

I hope he never plays again.

Manning is selfish ##### and he is the reason the colts couldn't get quality pieces to put around him.I hope he never plays again.
Could have swore I read a piece earlier in Peyton's career that he agreed to restructure his contract once so the Colts could do exactly that. But I might be thinking of some other high-profile QB. I think it's been 3-4 years since it happened.

I heard Schefter elaborate on this on Mike & Mike.

He said that Manning understands that if he pushes it out, it gives all the leverage to Indianapolis to choose what to do with him, and Manning isn't interested in being traded to a team that he doesn't feel great about, particularly if they have to give up a ton to the Colts for his rights. By keeping this date, he's forcing Indy to either commit to him or cut ties, plain and simple.

It's ballsy, if true. I'm surprised (and impressed) by Manning's stance here.

As I have said on every Luck/manning thread, I find this incredibly funny that Manning was the one that strongly encouraged Luck to go back for one more year of college.

Manning is selfish ##### and he is the reason the colts couldn't get quality pieces to put around him.

I hope he never plays again.
Could have swore I read a piece earlier in Peyton's career that he agreed to restructure his contract once so the Colts could do exactly that. But I might be thinking of some other high-profile QB. I think it's been 3-4 years since it happened.
He did back in 2007http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2773817

Firing Caldwell has to be the final nail in the Manning coffin, doesn't it? If Manning has to learn a new system anyway, he'd likely be happy to go somewhere else where its not a rebuild.Releasing Manning at this point seems to be the only logical result. If Irsay wants to pay him $28MM for past accomplishments and loyalty, he isn't a very smart businessman - and being where he is I have to guess he is a smart businessman.
Agreed- he already paid him almost that much last season to not play, I can't imagine any scenario where he takes that huge risk again, especially considering the investment they're going to have in Luck (most likely). He's as good as gone IMO.

I heard Schefter elaborate on this on Mike & Mike.He said that Manning understands that if he pushes it out, it gives all the leverage to Indianapolis to choose what to do with him, and Manning isn't interested in being traded to a team that he doesn't feel great about, particularly if they have to give up a ton to the Colts for his rights. By keeping this date, he's forcing Indy to either commit to him or cut ties, plain and simple.It's ballsy, if true. I'm surprised (and impressed) by Manning's stance here.
I'm not. It's not near as ballsy considering this is a soon to be 36 year old Peyton with a 100+ million dollar contract already in the rear-view mirror. It's not so much (I would assume) about the money anymore as it is about going to a team that's poised to go deep with him under center immediately.

Firing Caldwell has to be the final nail in the Manning coffin, doesn't it? If Manning has to learn a new system anyway, he'd likely be happy to go somewhere else where its not a rebuild.Releasing Manning at this point seems to be the only logical result. If Irsay wants to pay him $28MM for past accomplishments and loyalty, he isn't a very smart businessman - and being where he is I have to guess he is a smart businessman.
Agreed- he already paid him almost that much last season to not play, I can't imagine any scenario where he takes that huge risk again, especially considering the investment they're going to have in Luck (most likely). He's as good as gone IMO.
You're looking at it strictly from a "winning games" perspective. Keep in mind that a large portion of the business is also to sell jerseys and other merchandise, which I'm sure Peyton Manning is the key person for this. Having said that, selling tickets is also a top priority and if I recall the Colts were pretty weak up until they had a winning team (could be wrong here--not going to look it up either).Some teams are content with simply making money and not about the wins. This would be an example of that.As a side note, I think Peyton has to be seeing that this Colts team is awful. I know people think Luck is going to come in here and pick up where Peyton left off, but that is so far from a guarantee it isn't even funny. As a Seahawks homer I can't help but think of what we could do with a healthy Manning instead of rolling with Tarvaris Jackson in 2012.

Move makes sense to me. Manning either plans to retire or he feels he is healthy and knows the Colts must draft Luck and he does not want to deal with Luck being there. He can force them to release him so he can pick the team he goes to and not be the bad guy because he was cut.

Starting to wonder if Manning has already told Irsay that he's going to retire on March 7th.
It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see him annouce his retirement.
It wouldn't shock me either, but that would be because of health. I don't think he's made up his mind to retire already though- what would be the point in saying he isn't going to extend the deadline if he was just going to retire?

Move makes sense to me. Manning either plans to retire or he feels he is healthy and knows the Colts must draft Luck and he does not want to deal with Luck being there. He can force them to release him so he can pick the team he goes to and not be the bad guy because he was cut.
That's what I'm getting from it. The only way Manning forces the Colts to do this is if he thinks he can prove that he's fully recovered on the free agent market. If he is, he can more readily pick his landing spot because his value will he high. But if he's not healthy, then he gets nowhere (in terms of big $ starter money) in free agency and ends up with fewer (and more desperate) teams who are willing to gamble on him.And it's not the sort of thing he can bluff about because any team taking a look at him is going to be very careful and thorough. As good as he is, I don't see teams saying "well, it's Peyton Manning" and ignoring the medical information.

Let's look at the remaining teams in the playoffs. If Manning forces the Colts to cut him and go with Luck. Manning could choose between teams like Baltimore and San Fransisco and be able to start on a contender without having to hear about Luck all the time.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see him annouce his retirement.
What's the latest on his neck?
It's a mystery. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't close to healed and he decides to hang it up.
If it wasn't healed and he plans on retiring, then there's no reason to take a hard stance on the bonus. All he does is force the Colts to cut him so he retires as a free agent rather than as Colt. So where's the upside?And if he needs more time to recover, then it would make sense for him to restructure with the Colts. He'd still get paid good money and would have all this spring and summer to rehab and heal. He can't do that as free agent and expect a new team to pay him starter money. And if he stays with the Colts and does recover this spring and summer, he gets the 2012 season to audition for his next starting gig. So he then goes into the 2013 free agency market having proven through a season of play that he's healthy.

Let's look at the remaining teams in the playoffs. If Manning forces the Colts to cut him and go with Luck. Manning could choose between teams like Baltimore and San Fransisco and be able to start on a contender without having to hear about Luck all the time.
:no:

He is gone. I have no doubt. The change in coaching staff was the clincher. As others have said, Manning is not going to learn a new system at this point in his career, and the team would be foolish to stick with the same system when Peyton is as old and unhealthy as he is.

here's a top 10 stab at landing spots...

i'd take him in ny as a jet fan...

1: Miami Dolphins- O-Line is solid, good receiving core, owner would make the splash, weather is nice

2: Arizona Cardinals - weather is good, lfitz is all world… nfc west is doable although sf is now a factor

3: Kansas City Chiefs - solid wrs, decent o-line good run game; outdoors/cold

4: Minnesota Vikings - indoor selling point, but ponder must be pondered

5: Washington Redskins - but same divison as Eli and Shanny is a wildcard, wrs are soso

6: Houston Texans - solid wrs, top d, very winnable division

7: New York Jets - cap is bad, but could take delayed structured guarneteed deal, rex loves him, d is solid, outdoors/cold

8: Seattle Seahawks - good home field, but does sea want him?

9: Baltimore Ravens - if flacco falls apart this week, maybe….

10: San Francisco 49ers - maybe 2 mos ago, with alex smith now, not so much, but smith is on a one year deal?

here's a top 10 stab at landing spots...i'd take him in ny as a jet fan...10: San Francisco 49ers - maybe 2 mos ago, with alex smith now, not so much, but smith is on a one year deal?
There's no way he goes to the 49ers now. Yes, Smith is on a one year deal (free agent this offseason), but there's no way we let him leave or probably that he'll even go anywhere else.

You're looking at it strictly from a "winning games" perspective. Keep in mind that a large portion of the business is also to sell jerseys and other merchandise, which I'm sure Peyton Manning is the key person for this. Having said that, selling tickets is also a top priority and if I recall the Colts were pretty weak up until they had a winning team (could be wrong here--not going to look it up either).
I'm sure there will be plenty of Luck jerseys to be sold - and I would guess that he'd be a draw for the fans as well. Seeing a "can't miss" prospect grow into a great QB is intriguing. My guess is they would start winning fairly soon as well if Luck is what we think he is and they make some other smart moves with all the money they save on Manning's contract.

There is a lot of talk about the Colts not being able to tie up so much money in 1 position (if they keep Manning AND use the #1 pick on a QB). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but Luck's contract would be very similar to Cam Newton's right? That was 5 years, $22 Million total, wasn't it? Assuming the Colts give Manning his bonus on 3/8, he will count $16M against the cap. That, plus Luck's $4M-$5M against the cap is not impossible to work around.

How about the Cowboys and the Cardinals. Romo is only signed through 2013 and the Cardinals can move Kolb to the Browns. Jerry Jones is not above doing something like this.

Yeah, I'm going to say Arizona. Peyton to Fitzgerald will make Payton to Wayne look like the minor leagues....

1: Miami Dolphins- O-Line is solid, good receiving core, owner would make the splash, weather is nice2: Arizona Cardinals - weather is good, lfitz is all world… nfc west is doable although sf is now a factor
The Dolphins would be the top choice except for the division they are in and all the outdoor games in cold weather. I think Manning would instantly make the Cardinals the favorite to win the division. If Manning gets cut I don't see any reason for the Cardinals not to cut Kolb and sign Manning.

here's a top 10 stab at landing spots...i'd take him in ny as a jet fan...1: Miami Dolphins- O-Line is solid, good receiving core, owner would make the splash, weather is nice2: Arizona Cardinals - weather is good, lfitz is all world… nfc west is doable although sf is now a factor3: Kansas City Chiefs - solid wrs, decent o-line good run game; outdoors/cold4: Minnesota Vikings - indoor selling point, but ponder must be pondered5: Washington Redskins - but same divison as Eli and Shanny is a wildcard, wrs are soso6: Houston Texans - solid wrs, top d, very winnable division7: New York Jets - cap is bad, but could take delayed structured guarneteed deal, rex loves him, d is solid, outdoors/cold8: Seattle Seahawks - good home field, but does sea want him? 9: Baltimore Ravens - if flacco falls apart this week, maybe….10: San Francisco 49ers - maybe 2 mos ago, with alex smith now, not so much, but smith is on a one year deal?
I was thinking something similar:Redskins – Need QB. Can he play with Shanahan?Cowboys – Interesting. Trade Romo and sign Peyton.Vikings – Would you rather have Peyton or Ponder? Bucs – Do they stick with Freeman?49ers – seems to be the top contender, but if Alex takes them to the Super Bowl….Seahawks – Could be very interestingCardinals - ??? This just might be my leader in the clubhouse. Peyton to Fitzgerald…Jets – I don’t see it. I could be wrong. I don’t know if they would be in my top 5.Dolphins – possible I guess. Need a QB and haven’t hired a coach yet.Titans – Could be the big sleeper. I think I read he still loves TennesseeTexans – I doubt they dump Shaub for him although Peyton with a great running game would be interesting

I heard Schefter elaborate on this on Mike & Mike.He said that Manning understands that if he pushes it out, it gives all the leverage to Indianapolis to choose what to do with him, and Manning isn't interested in being traded to a team that he doesn't feel great about, particularly if they have to give up a ton to the Colts for his rights. By keeping this date, he's forcing Indy to either commit to him or cut ties, plain and simple.It's ballsy, if true. I'm surprised (and impressed) by Manning's stance here.
I'm not. It's not near as ballsy considering this is a soon to be 36 year old Peyton with a 100+ million dollar contract already in the rear-view mirror. It's not so much (I would assume) about the money anymore as it is about going to a team that's poised to go deep with him under center immediately.
This is getting much less play than conspiracy theories. More than likely no one, Manning included, knows when he'll be cleared to play again. Personally I think he'll rehab, get cleared, then sign a big contract, back loaded obviously due to his age and with plenty of incentives due to his health. In doing so he'll make more than 28m and avoid going to some perpetual loser club in the NFC. With their current troubles Tampa Bay springs to mind, but that may be a harsh judgement

I think the speculation is fun, and many of the suggestions are logical. But I also think that the "winner" of a Peyton sweepstakes could just as easily completely shock us. I bet there are teams we all think should be a fit, that would never really entertain him (or he them), while there are going to be teams we think have solid QB situations that would take the risk b/c they felt Manning is a rare player that gives you a rare opportunity to improve your team.

Imagine if he went to Baltimore :popcorn:

Report: Peyton Manning won't delay $28M bonus ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that Peyton Manning "will not push back" his $28 million roster bonus and will either stay with the Colts or be released by the Colts.Per Schefter, the sides are dug in. Owner Jim Irsay isn't going to trade Manning, and Manning won't restructure his contract to allow the Colts to get something in return. The $28 million bonus is due on March 8. Irsay is staunch in his commitment to pay Manning if he's healthy, but he's going to have to receive medical clearance from neck surgery in order to see the moneyWOW!! I thought he had already agreed to push back the date on this. I guess the Colts have no other choice but to release him.
No player is worth a 28m bonus. Not in terms of putting together an entire team within the nfl salary cap system
bonus doesnt count against the cap, no?

I think Baltimore, SF (assuming they don't win the SB this year) and Philly would be very interesting dark horse choices.

Arizona, Seattle, KC, NYJ, Ten, Miami would be pretty logical possible landing spots. Manning could turn any of them into immediate contenders.

Washington, Tampa, Minny, Jax seem like they're not close enough to winning for Manning to consider.

I don't think Houston or Dallas would even try to land him based on what they already have at QB.

The most interesting place would be Philly. I'm no Iggles fan but that would be a devastating offense with Peyton at the helm. But with the $$ they have tied up with Vick that would seem like the least likely of any of these scenarios.

I think the speculation is fun, and many of the suggestions are logical. But I also think that the "winner" of a Peyton sweepstakes could just as easily completely shock us. I bet there are teams we all think should be a fit, that would never really entertain him (or he them), while there are going to be teams we think have solid QB situations that would take the risk b/c they felt Manning is a rare player that gives you a rare opportunity to improve your team.Imagine if he went to Baltimore :popcorn:
In terms of another shocker...what about Denver? Peyton would be the prototype that Fox and Elway have alluded to wanting while they see what they actually have in Tebow. That being said, I don't think there's a shot in he** Peyton would volunteer for a spot in that media circus.

I think the speculation is fun, and many of the suggestions are logical. But I also think that the "winner" of a Peyton sweepstakes could just as easily completely shock us. I bet there are teams we all think should be a fit, that would never really entertain him (or he them), while there are going to be teams we think have solid QB situations that would take the risk b/c they felt Manning is a rare player that gives you a rare opportunity to improve your team.Imagine if he went to Baltimore :popcorn:
As much as the city of Baltimore hates the Indy Colts, they have a lot respect for Manning. Many have said pubicly that he reminds them of Johnny Unitas.

As much as the city of Baltimore hates the Indy Colts, they have a lot respect for Manning. Many have said pubicly that he reminds them of Johnny Unitas.
What a story that would be. I also think it would be fascinating to see Peyton end up in San Francisco (not that I think there's much chance of that happening). He would be playing for a coach was the QB Peyton replaced. Harbaugh was Indy's starter in 1997, and Peyton took over in 1998 as we all know.

Gonna be funny watching the hay-seeds turn on Peyton now that they tanked the season for Andrew Luck.

Manning owes the Jets....

That 1997 Draft royally screwed the Jets. Jets get the #1 pick with All-World value that turned into just another draft when Peyton stayed in school.

Granted I also blame Parcells.

I imagine that team brass will try to get this resolved fairly quickly one way or the other, as prospective coaches probably don't want to get caught in the middle of the controversy. Much easier to join ship once the direction has been established.

Manning is not coming to Baltimore. They're going to have to franchise Rice this year (or give him a long-term deal) and work hard to keep RG Ben Grubbs under the cap, and figure out what to do at C if/when Matt Birk retires. Flacco is in the last year of his rookie deal next year and the team is committed to him for next year, and I think the long term after that.

They can't afford Manning, plus they've gone this route before with Grbac and then McNair and now they want to groom and keep their own long-term guy. If anyone is gone next year, it's Cam Cameron, not Flacco.

Manning is not coming to Baltimore. They're going to have to franchise Rice this year (or give him a long-term deal) and work hard to keep RG Ben Grubbs under the cap, and figure out what to do at C if/when Matt Birk retires. Flacco is in the last year of his rookie deal next year and the team is committed to him for next year, and I think the long term after that. They can't afford Manning, plus they've gone this route before with Grbac and then McNair and now they want to groom and keep their own long-term guy. If anyone is gone next year, it's Cam Cameron, not Flacco.
Lets see how Flacco does this week before we assume anything about Flacco long-term

'Pots said:
'The_Man said:
Manning is not coming to Baltimore. They're going to have to franchise Rice this year (or give him a long-term deal) and work hard to keep RG Ben Grubbs under the cap, and figure out what to do at C if/when Matt Birk retires. Flacco is in the last year of his rookie deal next year and the team is committed to him for next year, and I think the long term after that. They can't afford Manning, plus they've gone this route before with Grbac and then McNair and now they want to groom and keep their own long-term guy. If anyone is gone next year, it's Cam Cameron, not Flacco.
Lets see how Flacco does this week before we assume anything about Flacco long-term
He got them to the championship game, they're not going to dump him.

Users who are viewing this thread