What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning won't delay $28M bonus (1 Viewer)

'Bayhawks said:
With the gutting of the Colts coaching staff, Indy (IMO) is becoming a worrisome FF situation. 1) If they sign Manning, he's going to have to adjust to an entirely new coaching staff, it seems. Now I understand that Peyton knows their offense inside and out, and I'd assume that if he returns, the new coaches would work with his system, and not vice-versa. But assuming the Colts manage to sign their key free-agents, they aren't as young as they once were. The O-line is not as good as it was 3 years ago, Wayne looked bad last year (although his QB play could be blamed, Garcon didn't seem too negatively impacted), Collie is a head-shot away from a concussion, Clark can't seem to stay healthy, the running game is seriously questionable, & the D is bad.2) If they cut Manning and go with Luck, it wouldn't surprise me for them to not re-sign their FAs like Wayne/Saturday, instead focusing on youth. This does not bode well for FF purposes either.The more I think about it, the less and less appealing Indy looks to me, from a FF perspective.
In this regard, I don't know that there is a QB I would worry about less than Manning. The guy is so infamously a student of the game and so meticulous, if anyone can pickup a new offense wouldn't you figure it's him? Re-picking up a new offense, Manning is eons better prepared than Luck.
Wherever Manning ends up he will put in the new offense or the offense will be tailored to him, he will not have to adapt to anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard Schefter elaborate on this on Mike & Mike.He said that Manning understands that if he pushes it out, it gives all the leverage to Indianapolis to choose what to do with him, and Manning isn't interested in being traded to a team that he doesn't feel great about, particularly if they have to give up a ton to the Colts for his rights. By keeping this date, he's forcing Indy to either commit to him or cut ties, plain and simple.It's ballsy, if true. I'm surprised (and impressed) by Manning's stance here.
Your impressed? Why?He took 20+ million from the team last year and did squat for them. Even if you buy the line about him not having any idea he had any problem with his neck (I don't) when he took all that money you would think he would feel some obligation for taking all that money and never even making it to tc.Now he is holding the team over the barrel for ANOTHER 28+ million and people are impressed?Why not work with the team who gave you all that money and got nothing in return? He could work it out so that he could still dictate which team he goes to, but his team could get something for him in return. Instead he tells him team to shove it and he will go to whoever pays him the most.Peytons nickname isn't PayMeTons for nothing. As I have said before, he has always squeezed every dime he could out of that organization and the team has suffered for it. Whats that you say? He took less than he could have last year? 69 Million garuanteed over 3 years for a 36 year old QB on the decline. one who can't even make it to training camp in year one and he cut his team some great deal? Give me a break.First ballot hall of famer for sure, but also a selfish guy who cares more about money than winning.
So you're saying if a player is injured, he should give back the money the team owes him? Can you point to examples where this occurs with any regularity?
Better yet, can you point to one case where a team paid out an unguaranteed contract to an injured player?
In response to both questions, has there ever been an example of a player taking such a huge bonus while being more seriously injured than the team may have known? Taking the money and not even making it in to training camp and not playing a down of football? I don't think so and that is why I feel this is a unique situation. I believe Manning knew his situation was worse than the colts realized, but even if he didn't, they gave him all that money for the 2011 season. The colts gave him the 20 Million in good faith and their reward for that is to be held over a barrel and being told to go pound sand. Now the Colts either have to pony up another 28 million for a guy that may not play again this year (or ever) or let him and the 20 million walk away and getting absolutely nothing in return. In other words, imho, the colts did right by him and in return he is shoving it right up their ###. As I said in my op, he is a 1st ballot hall of famer and one of the best ever. I am not a colts fan so it's no skin off my back; however, there is a very distinct odor emanating from one side of this whole debacle.

Manning is selfish ##### and he is the reason the colts couldn't get quality pieces to put around him.

I hope he never plays again.
Could have swore I read a piece earlier in Peyton's career that he agreed to restructure his contract once so the Colts could do exactly that. But I might be thinking of some other high-profile QB. I think it's been 3-4 years since it happened.
He did back in 2007http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2773817
Seems to me that it's the Colts turn then. I remember "how much money does Jordan need" articles about Michael Jordan wanting to make so much money despite already being so very wealthy. I don't think Peyton's wrong here and he's probably got tons of $. Maybe not "like Mike" but I'm sure it's plenty. The point is he turned the franchise around, the owner made money hand over fist thanks to Manning, Manning took a hit(link above) and now it's the owner's turn to pay.

If they want Peyton to eat 28m then let him be the GM and decided what players lineup around him. I mean what more can the guy do for the Colts? He did his job, he needs to get paid.
The Colts turn?Manning re-structured, he didn't take a hit, he got all his money like he ALWAYS does.

I don't believe the Colts want him to eat 28 million, I think they would like him, given the situation, to work with them so that A. they know for sure he is healthy before they pee away another 28 million, or B. if he wants to leave, then work with the team and allow them to get something in return (if for no other reason than the 20 million he took for doing nothing last year).

You say manning did his job, no he didn't, he took 20 mil and did not play a down of football for them.

I heard Schefter elaborate on this on Mike & Mike.He said that Manning understands that if he pushes it out, it gives all the leverage to Indianapolis to choose what to do with him, and Manning isn't interested in being traded to a team that he doesn't feel great about, particularly if they have to give up a ton to the Colts for his rights. By keeping this date, he's forcing Indy to either commit to him or cut ties, plain and simple.It's ballsy, if true. I'm surprised (and impressed) by Manning's stance here.
Your impressed? Why?He took 20+ million from the team last year and did squat for them. Even if you buy the line about him not having any idea he had any problem with his neck (I don't) when he took all that money you would think he would feel some obligation for taking all that money and never even making it to tc.Now he is holding the team over the barrel for ANOTHER 28+ million and people are impressed?Why not work with the team who gave you all that money and got nothing in return? He could work it out so that he could still dictate which team he goes to, but his team could get something for him in return. Instead he tells him team to shove it and he will go to whoever pays him the most.Peytons nickname isn't PayMeTons for nothing. As I have said before, he has always squeezed every dime he could out of that organization and the team has suffered for it. Whats that you say? He took less than he could have last year? 69 Million garuanteed over 3 years for a 36 year old QB on the decline. one who can't even make it to training camp in year one and he cut his team some great deal? Give me a break.First ballot hall of famer for sure, but also a selfish guy who cares more about money than winning.
So you're saying if a player is injured, he should give back the money the team owes him? Can you point to examples where this occurs with any regularity?
Better yet, can you point to one case where a team paid out an unguaranteed contract to an injured player?
In response to both questions, has there ever been an example of a player taking such a huge bonus while being more seriously injured than the team may have known? Taking the money and not even making it in to training camp and not playing a down of football? I don't think so and that is why I feel this is a unique situation. I believe Manning knew his situation was worse than the colts realized, but even if he didn't, they gave him all that money for the 2011 season. The colts gave him the 20 Million in good faith and their reward for that is to be held over a barrel and being told to go pound sand. Now the Colts either have to pony up another 28 million for a guy that may not play again this year (or ever) or let him and the 20 million walk away and getting absolutely nothing in return. In other words, imho, the colts did right by him and in return he is shoving it right up their ###. As I said in my op, he is a 1st ballot hall of famer and one of the best ever. I am not a colts fan so it's no skin off my back; however, there is a very distinct odor emanating from one side of this whole debacle.
Boy do I disagree with this big time. You're basically conjecturing that Manning realized he wouldn't be able to play at all this year and kept the info from the Colts - I have yet to see anything that would lead me to believe that. From what I understood Manning and the doctors were hoping the nerves would regenerate faster than they did, and this is what led to the next surgery, but if you have evidence that Manning deliberately held information from the team so he could be paid, I'd love to see it. Also, as far as I know, the Colts didn't give him the 20 million in "good faith". It was part of his contract, a contract that includes clauses dealing with injuries. They were legally bound to pay him whatever the contract stated. Just my .02, I could be wrong, but I have never heard anything that leads me to think Manning is a deceitful, money-grubbing liar, which is what you are saying he is - from what I understand he's a pretty great guy.

Manning is selfish ##### and he is the reason the colts couldn't get quality pieces to put around him.

I hope he never plays again.
Could have swore I read a piece earlier in Peyton's career that he agreed to restructure his contract once so the Colts could do exactly that. But I might be thinking of some other high-profile QB. I think it's been 3-4 years since it happened.
He did back in 2007http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2773817
Seems to me that it's the Colts turn then. I remember "how much money does Jordan need" articles about Michael Jordan wanting to make so much money despite already being so very wealthy. I don't think Peyton's wrong here and he's probably got tons of $. Maybe not "like Mike" but I'm sure it's plenty. The point is he turned the franchise around, the owner made money hand over fist thanks to Manning, Manning took a hit(link above) and now it's the owner's turn to pay.

If they want Peyton to eat 28m then let him be the GM and decided what players lineup around him. I mean what more can the guy do for the Colts? He did his job, he needs to get paid.
The Colts turn?Manning re-structured, he didn't take a hit, he got all his money like he ALWAYS does.

I don't believe the Colts want him to eat 28 million, I think they would like him, given the situation, to work with them so that A. they know for sure he is healthy before they pee away another 28 million, or B. if he wants to leave, then work with the team and allow them to get something in return (if for no other reason than the 20 million he took for doing nothing last year).

You say manning did his job, no he didn't, he took 20 mil and did not play a down of football for them.
The Colts took a lot of tries at different players since umm Baltimore? Geesh it was a long time since they were year in year out winners. There was probably more than 1000 NFL players, some HOFers like Marshall Faulk, on Colts rosters over the years that did not have the same effect that Manning had on that team. What's that worth?

He is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. The NFL has certainly benefited from his presence as well.

I understand paid to do a job and investing in a player and all, but when a player made an owner more than a billion, 20 mil seems like "counting pennies" to me.

It's pathetic, but in many scenarios here- if Luck doesn't pan out, the Colts will then realize how much Peyton was worth and what it was like before Peyton

the notion that Manning made 20 mil and didn't play a down gives off thoughts that he was sitting in a recliner somewhere when in reality he was getting cut up by doctors and going through whatever rehab and (we all know) watching 10k hours of film. Also, it is probably a very strong prediction to state that KC, Painter, Caldwell and others asked his opinion on game plans, film, and everything else. I doubt it felt like a vacation for Manning

the notion that Manning made 20 mil and didn't play a down gives off thoughts that he was sitting in a recliner somewhere when in reality he was getting cut up by doctors and going through whatever rehab and (we all know) watching 10k hours of film. Also, it is probably a very strong prediction to state that KC, Painter, Caldwell and others asked his opinion on game plans, film, and everything else. I doubt it felt like a vacation for Manning
NE_REVIVAL just thinks everyone should give back their salary for the year if they get injured. You know, the way Brady did in 2008.

NE_REVIVAL just thinks everyone should give back their salary for the year if they get injured. You know, the way Brady did in 2008.
Wow... that just reminded me that the guy that took out Brady is going to play against him tomorrow.

I'm not factoring that in, to be honest. And in the big picture, keeping Manning (& drafting Luck) may not make sense, because the other key players are getting up there in age & need to be replaced soon. However, the talk of "they can't afford Manning AND Luck" doesn't seem to be accurate to me, based on the numbers as they stand now, especially when you consider the fact that the Colts already tied up that much money in their QB position in 2011.
You keep saying this, but it just isn't true. We're not talking about the cap, we're talking about actual dollars paid out. If they pay Peyton his bonus of $28M, his salary of $7.4M, and they pay Luck somewhere around $15M in bonus and salary (which is conservative), that's over $50M total for 2012. They may be able to afford it, but they didn't pay that much in 2011- no one did or ever has.
No, WE'RE not, you are. I've already posted that we were discussing two different points. You are talking about "actual dollars paid out," I'm talking about the cap, because that is what the NFL teams consider.You are right in that the "actual dollars paid out" in 2012 would be higher than the salary cap ramifications, but the salary cap ramifications are what will impact this decision by Irsay & the Colts.

BTW-the somewhere around $15M bonus/salary number IS NOT conservative for Luck. With the new CBA and slotted rookie draft picks, he will get slightly more than Cam got last year, which was slightly under $15M in bonus/salary.
:lmao: What do you think these owners pay with Monopoly money?

Boy do I disagree with this big time. You're basically conjecturing that Manning realized he wouldn't be able to play at all this year and kept the info from the Colts - I have yet to see anything that would lead me to believe that. From what I understood Manning and the doctors were hoping the nerves would regenerate faster than they did, and this is what led to the next surgery, but if you have evidence that Manning deliberately held information from the team so he could be paid, I'd love to see it. Also, as far as I know, the Colts didn't give him the 20 million in "good faith". It was part of his contract, a contract that includes clauses dealing with injuries. They were legally bound to pay him whatever the contract stated. Just my .02, I could be wrong, but I have never heard anything that leads me to think Manning is a deceitful, money-grubbing liar, which is what you are saying he is - from what I understand he's a pretty great guy.
I am saying he MAY very well have known it was a lot more serious than the colts realized. I think Polian may have been fired for not knowing and not doing enough due diligence to protect the team. But this was manning, the face of the franchise and a very unique situation. Put yourself in mannings shoes, do you really think while he was negotiating a new contract he went out of his way to tell them everything? How many of us would if we were in his place? But if you took all that money and didn't play would you hold the organization over a barell or work with them. I think I would feel at least some obligation to work with them; reasonable minds may dissagree. The good faith was that manning would be able to play and therefore earn the 20 mil they just gave him. Yes, good faith, since he was injured when they gave it to him, not AFTER he signed. If not good faith, what would do you call it? Some (Irsay?) might call it blind stupidity.....Lets say for a moment that you are right and manning had no idea it was a serious as it was. He still took 20 million and did basically nothing in return. Do you really believe it is unreasonable for the colts to think that manning, being a pretty nice guy, would return their good faith and work with them?. Manning shouldnt feel any obligation for taking 20 million for his services in 2011 and then not providing any? They had faith in him that he would be ready and he wasn't so now it is just tuff luck on you colts I am moving on.In response to another poster, no, if a player is hurt while playing of course he should not have to give anything back; however, this is a totally different situation.Bottom line is I think the colts did right by manning and he is not doing right by them in return.Sadly the haters\morons are coming out now and since I expressed an opinion they do not agree with they think it is ok to hope brady gets hurt :( For that reason I am done with the thread.

I'm not factoring that in, to be honest. And in the big picture, keeping Manning (& drafting Luck) may not make sense, because the other key players are getting up there in age & need to be replaced soon. However, the talk of "they can't afford Manning AND Luck" doesn't seem to be accurate to me, based on the numbers as they stand now, especially when you consider the fact that the Colts already tied up that much money in their QB position in 2011.
You keep saying this, but it just isn't true. We're not talking about the cap, we're talking about actual dollars paid out. If they pay Peyton his bonus of $28M, his salary of $7.4M, and they pay Luck somewhere around $15M in bonus and salary (which is conservative), that's over $50M total for 2012. They may be able to afford it, but they didn't pay that much in 2011- no one did or ever has.
No, WE'RE not, you are. I've already posted that we were discussing two different points. You are talking about "actual dollars paid out," I'm talking about the cap, because that is what the NFL teams consider.You are right in that the "actual dollars paid out" in 2012 would be higher than the salary cap ramifications, but the salary cap ramifications are what will impact this decision by Irsay & the Colts.

BTW-the somewhere around $15M bonus/salary number IS NOT conservative for Luck. With the new CBA and slotted rookie draft picks, he will get slightly more than Cam got last year, which was slightly under $15M in bonus/salary.
:lmao: What do you think these owners pay with Monopoly money?
Yeah, I guess you're right. It's not like the Colts are worth over $1 BILLION, or that $50M would only be 20% of their annual revenue, or that if they did pay out $50M this year to their QBs, that it would drop to less than $20M they'd have to pay out next year, or that they have lower operating costs than many NFL teams because of their sweet deal with Indy where they only have to pay $250K in rent for their stadium but get up to $3.5M of NET profits from all non-football related events held there, or that Irsay is so focused on having a winner in Indianapolis that he sold off some of his personal real-estate holdings to finance the team when they were losing money years earlier.You're right :lmao: , what was I thinking? :rolleyes:

I don't see anything ballsy about this, Manning is just doing the best thing for himself. He will either retire or get cut. I think Manning is handling the situation correctly. By not talking to the media he won't look like a bad guy by the average fan and he will be able to sign with a contender if he doesn't retire.

The more I read about Manning's neck and the contract he signed, it makes me wonder if Irsay's plan all along was to tank the season to get Luck and cut Manning.

In this article after his first surgery, Dr. Riaz is very pessimistic about Manning's ability to play again, especially not in 2011. He is even confused about why Irsay would talk about Manning's nerves regenerating when they don't.

Manning's contract was signed after the first surgery and it would have been clear to Irsay that Manning was at least done for 2011 and most likely forever.

Then in an article from Dec. 21 he says that even though the Colts knew he wouldn't play this year Manning wasn't placed on IR so that they could watch his recovery. However, it seems more likely that by not putting Manning on IR they were able to tie up an extra spot to make them less competitive and more likely to get Luck.

Then there's construction of Manning's contract. It did in fact free up $5M in cap space but Irsay must surely have known he was never going to pay Manning $28M this year after he was coming off neck surgery and missing 2011.

I am saying he MAY very well have known it was a lot more serious than the colts realized. I think Polian may have been fired for not knowing and not doing enough due diligence to protect the team. But this was manning, the face of the franchise and a very unique situation. Put yourself in mannings shoes, do you really think while he was negotiating a new contract he went out of his way to tell them everything? How many of us would if we were in his place? But if you took all that money and didn't play would you hold the organization over a barell or work with them. I think I would feel at least some obligation to work with them; reasonable minds may dissagree. The “good faith” was that manning would be able to play and therefore “earn” the 20 mil they just gave him. Yes, good faith, since he was injured when they gave it to him, not AFTER he signed. If not good faith, what would do you call it? Some (Irsay?) might call it blind stupidity.....Lets say for a moment that you are right and manning had no idea it was a serious as it was. He still took 20 million and did basically nothing in return. Do you really believe it is unreasonable for the colts to think that manning, being a “pretty nice guy”, would return their good faith and work with them?. Manning shouldn’t feel any obligation for taking 20 million for his services in 2011 and then not providing any? They had faith in him that he would be ready and he wasn't so now it is just tuff luck on you colts I am moving on.In response to another poster, no, if a player is hurt while playing of course he should not have to give anything back; however, this is a totally different situation.Bottom line is I think the colts did right by manning and he is not doing right by them in return.Sadly the haters\morons are coming out now and since I expressed an opinion they do not agree with they think it is ok to hope brady gets hurt :( For that reason I am done with the thread.
You make some fair points, at the same time I would say it is just as likely that if you are Manning and have never missed a game in your career a big part of you would probably be thinking you will be ok to play.

The more I read about Manning's neck and the contract he signed, it makes me wonder if Irsay's plan all along was to tank the season to get Luck and cut Manning.

In this article after his first surgery, Dr. Riaz is very pessimistic about Manning's ability to play again, especially not in 2011. He is even confused about why Irsay would talk about Manning's nerves regenerating when they don't.

Manning's contract was signed after the first surgery and it would have been clear to Irsay that Manning was at least done for 2011 and most likely forever.

Then in an article from Dec. 21 he says that even though the Colts knew he wouldn't play this year Manning wasn't placed on IR so that they could watch his recovery. However, it seems more likely that by not putting Manning on IR they were able to tie up an extra spot to make them less competitive and more likely to get Luck.

Then there's construction of Manning's contract. It did in fact free up $5M in cap space but Irsay must surely have known he was never going to pay Manning $28M this year after he was coming off neck surgery and missing 2011.
I don't buy this. What's especially weak is the argument about Manning not going on IR, thus preventing Indy from having one more player on their roster, making them less competitive? Seriously? Who really thinks that a street free-agent would have caused the Colts to win any more games? When you have to create this kind of conspiracy, it usually means one doesn't exist.

Peyton Manning: Irsay, not Grigson, will decide his future with Colts

Written by

Bob Kravitz

Sorry, Rob Lowe.

Peyton Manning is not retiring, at least not any time soon.

"I never thought 'Sodapop Curtis' would announce my retirement," Manning said, laughing, referring to Lowe’s character in the 1983 movie "The Outsiders." "I always thought I would be the one to announce it. I'm a huge fan of the movie, but that caught me way off guard. I can't explain it. I know he (Lowe) is a friend of Jim's (Irsay), and Jim sounded surprised."

So no, Manning isn't on the cusp of retirement. In a wide-ranging, exclusive interview with The Star on Monday night, the Colts' future Hall of Fame quarterback addressed a number of pressing topics, including his health, his sadness over the firings of several coaches, his minimal relationship with new general manager Ryan Grigson and the future.

For the record, Manning and Grigson finally met, briefly, last week when the two ran across each other in the facility.

"One thing he (Grigson) kind-of, sort-of told me, without really wanting to tell me, was that Irsay will be the guy I'm going to sit down and talk with," Manning said. "That's going to happen at some point, but we haven't had that conversation yet because we really don't need to have that conversation yet."

Aside from Eli Manning's victory in the NFC title game in San Francisco, where Peyton was present to celebrate with his brother, this has been a rough week for Peyton --- and for a lot of the people who've made this one of the most successful organizations in sports over the years. Change is never easy.

"I'm not in a very good place for healing, let's say that," he said, referring to the practice facility. "It's not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody's walking around on eggshells. I don't recognize our building right now. There's such complete and total change."

Manning didn't express anger about the firing of Jim Caldwell and so many assistant coaches as much as he expressed sadness, wistfulness even.

He was working out with strength and conditioning coach Jon Torine last week when word came down that Torine had been relieved of his duties. One day later, after Torine had cleaned out his office, he ran Manning one more time, for old time's sake.

"It was tough," Manning said. "Very emotional."

It's been difficult with all the coaches, many of whom have been with Manning since the beginning, or at least close to it. This franchise has been a model of stability and continuity; now it's all about change. When Manning hasn't been rehabilitating, he's been calling other franchises and offering recommendations on behalf of the departed coaches.

"One of the things about football is, it's a relationship business," Manning said. "Sometimes guys get fired, it goes across the ticker, 'Jim Caldwell got fired' and that's that. But when it's every day in a relationship business ... with Bill (Polian), with Marvin (Harrison), Edge (James), guys who retire, get cut, traded or fired, it's just really hard. I don’t think I have an emotion for it.

"The new (management) team doesn't have a relationship with these guys like I do, and I know a lot of players feel that way about them (the departing coaches), too."

He continued:

"I mean, it's 20 degrees, it's snowing, the building is absolutely empty except when you see coaches cleaning out their offices," he said. "I guess it's the reality of the football world, just not something I've had to deal with very often. But I'm in there every day, so I have to sit there and see it. Everybody's being evaluated and I'm no different. It's not the best environment.

"I just want to pay tribute to all those guys. It's unfortunate because so many of them have been such a big part of so many big wins here, and this is so ... sudden. Their keys didn't work the next day. There's no other way to do it? I don’t know. That's hard to see, all these people leaving.

"And I may be behind them. Who knows?"

The question was posed: Given all the changes, the fact the Colts appear to be in a rebuilding mode, does Manning even want to come back to Indianapolis?

"I don't want to get into some kind of fan campaign with the owner, but I think it's well documented that I want to play in the same place my whole career," Manning said. "It's been a privilege to play here. I love the fans, the city, the transformation of the fans, how our place has become the toughest stadium to play in, the fact our fans wear more jerseys to games than anybody else. It's been fun to be a part of that.

"But I understand how it works. I understand tough decisions have to be made. There's personal and there's business and that's where we’ve got to separate the two. I've seen other guys leave places and it was personal. I've invested too much into this city for that to happen. We live here, we've given lots of time and money to the community and our church, and that's never going to change Nothing changes that.

"Whatever happens, happens. I can't give you a prediction because Jim (Irsay) and I will sit down at some point and he'll get a feel for where I am and I’ll get a sense of what direction he wants to go. Right now, I have no idea."

As for Manning’s health, he's not all the way back yet, but he's not going to put any kinds of percentages on his recovery, nor will he predict whether he'll be at full strength by early March, when the $28 million option bonus is due. At this point, he just doesn't know.

"You've been around me: You know I don't like to say something like, 'There’s no way I can play Sunday,' then come out and play Sunday and everybody in the media is writing 'I can’t believe he’s playing,'" Manning said. "I'm not into the drama. And I'm not into saying, 'Well, this is it, I sure have enjoyed it.' I'm not into saying goodbye. All I know is I'm still under contract to the Colts. I'm still the quarterback of the Colts That's why I'm in the building every day trying to get healthy."

Manning continues to work out daily and throw to his beloved and overworked equipment guys, but this past Sunday, he got out of the facility. After watching the first two Giants' playoff games from the workout room, Peyton decided to surprise Eli and show up Sunday in San Francisco.

I asked if he told Eli it was his job to protect his Lucas Oil Stadium turf from the hated Patriots.

He laughed.

"Well, I've already gone to work for him, getting all my teammates, trying to get their two-ticket allotments," Manning said. "That's what he did for me two years ago and I did that for him four years ago. And I'm helping any way I can, getting him restaurant reservations around town for him and his teammates. Jim (Irsay) called after the game and offered any kind of help he could give, which was generous.

“As far as helping him with the Patriots, really, he doesn't need to talk to me. He played them seven weeks ago. We'll talk about things they do when you face them a second time in the same year, but he knows them better than I do right now.

"It was fun Sunday, we talked about third and long situations, the defense San Francisco likes to play. They’ve got (former Colts defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio, and we were saying, 'In this situation, they run this particular coverage, three rushing and eight in coverage, and there are only certain places you can throw it.' I didn't tell him to throw that post route on the touchdown, but that was the kind of defense he was seeing. So it's kind of fun to talk about that stuff.’"

Now, then, Manning will try to enjoy the Super Bowl madness, will continue to work out at the facility (until the team is kicked out to make way for the, gag, Patriots) and wait to see what unfolds in the front office. If and when the Colts are ready to talk --- likely in February --- Manning will be easy to find.

"I'm in the facility every day," he said. "I'm right there. They know where to find me."

When it's time to make an announcement one way or the other, Manning hopes he can do it on his own terms.

"Hopefully, Sodapop Curtis doesn't tweet it before I can say anything," he said.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120124/SPORTS15/120124015/Kravitz-Manning-says-Irsay-not-Grigson-will-decide-his-future-Colts?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Peyton Manning: Irsay, not Grigson, will decide his future with Colts

Written by

Bob Kravitz

Sorry, Rob Lowe.

Peyton Manning is not retiring, at least not any time soon.

"I never thought 'Sodapop Curtis' would announce my retirement," Manning said, laughing, referring to Lowe’s character in the 1983 movie "The Outsiders." "I always thought I would be the one to announce it. I'm a huge fan of the movie, but that caught me way off guard. I can't explain it. I know he (Lowe) is a friend of Jim's (Irsay), and Jim sounded surprised."

So no, Manning isn't on the cusp of retirement. In a wide-ranging, exclusive interview with The Star on Monday night, the Colts' future Hall of Fame quarterback addressed a number of pressing topics, including his health, his sadness over the firings of several coaches, his minimal relationship with new general manager Ryan Grigson and the future.

For the record, Manning and Grigson finally met, briefly, last week when the two ran across each other in the facility.

"One thing he (Grigson) kind-of, sort-of told me, without really wanting to tell me, was that Irsay will be the guy I'm going to sit down and talk with," Manning said. "That's going to happen at some point, but we haven't had that conversation yet because we really don't need to have that conversation yet."

Aside from Eli Manning's victory in the NFC title game in San Francisco, where Peyton was present to celebrate with his brother, this has been a rough week for Peyton --- and for a lot of the people who've made this one of the most successful organizations in sports over the years. Change is never easy.

"I'm not in a very good place for healing, let's say that," he said, referring to the practice facility. "It's not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody's walking around on eggshells. I don't recognize our building right now. There's such complete and total change."

Manning didn't express anger about the firing of Jim Caldwell and so many assistant coaches as much as he expressed sadness, wistfulness even.

He was working out with strength and conditioning coach Jon Torine last week when word came down that Torine had been relieved of his duties. One day later, after Torine had cleaned out his office, he ran Manning one more time, for old time's sake.

"It was tough," Manning said. "Very emotional."

It's been difficult with all the coaches, many of whom have been with Manning since the beginning, or at least close to it. This franchise has been a model of stability and continuity; now it's all about change. When Manning hasn't been rehabilitating, he's been calling other franchises and offering recommendations on behalf of the departed coaches.

"One of the things about football is, it's a relationship business," Manning said. "Sometimes guys get fired, it goes across the ticker, 'Jim Caldwell got fired' and that's that. But when it's every day in a relationship business ... with Bill (Polian), with Marvin (Harrison), Edge (James), guys who retire, get cut, traded or fired, it's just really hard. I don’t think I have an emotion for it.

"The new (management) team doesn't have a relationship with these guys like I do, and I know a lot of players feel that way about them (the departing coaches), too."

He continued:

"I mean, it's 20 degrees, it's snowing, the building is absolutely empty except when you see coaches cleaning out their offices," he said. "I guess it's the reality of the football world, just not something I've had to deal with very often. But I'm in there every day, so I have to sit there and see it. Everybody's being evaluated and I'm no different. It's not the best environment.

"I just want to pay tribute to all those guys. It's unfortunate because so many of them have been such a big part of so many big wins here, and this is so ... sudden. Their keys didn't work the next day. There's no other way to do it? I don’t know. That's hard to see, all these people leaving.

"And I may be behind them. Who knows?"

The question was posed: Given all the changes, the fact the Colts appear to be in a rebuilding mode, does Manning even want to come back to Indianapolis?

"I don't want to get into some kind of fan campaign with the owner, but I think it's well documented that I want to play in the same place my whole career," Manning said. "It's been a privilege to play here. I love the fans, the city, the transformation of the fans, how our place has become the toughest stadium to play in, the fact our fans wear more jerseys to games than anybody else. It's been fun to be a part of that.

"But I understand how it works. I understand tough decisions have to be made. There's personal and there's business and that's where we’ve got to separate the two. I've seen other guys leave places and it was personal. I've invested too much into this city for that to happen. We live here, we've given lots of time and money to the community and our church, and that's never going to change Nothing changes that.

"Whatever happens, happens. I can't give you a prediction because Jim (Irsay) and I will sit down at some point and he'll get a feel for where I am and I’ll get a sense of what direction he wants to go. Right now, I have no idea."

As for Manning’s health, he's not all the way back yet, but he's not going to put any kinds of percentages on his recovery, nor will he predict whether he'll be at full strength by early March, when the $28 million option bonus is due. At this point, he just doesn't know.

"You've been around me: You know I don't like to say something like, 'There’s no way I can play Sunday,' then come out and play Sunday and everybody in the media is writing 'I can’t believe he’s playing,'" Manning said. "I'm not into the drama. And I'm not into saying, 'Well, this is it, I sure have enjoyed it.' I'm not into saying goodbye. All I know is I'm still under contract to the Colts. I'm still the quarterback of the Colts That's why I'm in the building every day trying to get healthy."

Manning continues to work out daily and throw to his beloved and overworked equipment guys, but this past Sunday, he got out of the facility. After watching the first two Giants' playoff games from the workout room, Peyton decided to surprise Eli and show up Sunday in San Francisco.

I asked if he told Eli it was his job to protect his Lucas Oil Stadium turf from the hated Patriots.

He laughed.

"Well, I've already gone to work for him, getting all my teammates, trying to get their two-ticket allotments," Manning said. "That's what he did for me two years ago and I did that for him four years ago. And I'm helping any way I can, getting him restaurant reservations around town for him and his teammates. Jim (Irsay) called after the game and offered any kind of help he could give, which was generous.

“As far as helping him with the Patriots, really, he doesn't need to talk to me. He played them seven weeks ago. We'll talk about things they do when you face them a second time in the same year, but he knows them better than I do right now.

"It was fun Sunday, we talked about third and long situations, the defense San Francisco likes to play. They’ve got (former Colts defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio, and we were saying, 'In this situation, they run this particular coverage, three rushing and eight in coverage, and there are only certain places you can throw it.' I didn't tell him to throw that post route on the touchdown, but that was the kind of defense he was seeing. So it's kind of fun to talk about that stuff.’"

Now, then, Manning will try to enjoy the Super Bowl madness, will continue to work out at the facility (until the team is kicked out to make way for the, gag, Patriots) and wait to see what unfolds in the front office. If and when the Colts are ready to talk --- likely in February --- Manning will be easy to find.

"I'm in the facility every day," he said. "I'm right there. They know where to find me."

When it's time to make an announcement one way or the other, Manning hopes he can do it on his own terms.

"Hopefully, Sodapop Curtis doesn't tweet it before I can say anything," he said.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120124/SPORTS15/120124015/Kravitz-Manning-says-Irsay-not-Grigson-will-decide-his-future-Colts?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com
Seems to be a pretty perfect discussion for him. Honest and frank for the most part. No hyperbole and looking for fans to back him up. I'm willing to bet it's worse in that complex than he said with the changes happening. Small change is hard for many people, large change is hard for most people. And not for nothing but I love his Poppa John's commercial - man's gotta work.

That was a great article. It's kind of sad that candor is so uncommon in pieces like this, that when we see it, it shines. But you are right that Manning seems to be pretty unhappy, but pragmatic, too. I am betting he's assuming he won't be back, and it making peace with it.

That was a great article. It's kind of sad that candor is so uncommon in pieces like this, that when we see it, it shines. But you are right that Manning seems to be pretty unhappy, but pragmatic, too. I am betting he's assuming he won't be back, and it making peace with it.
I've seen no indication that he will even play in 2012. I'm not sure what he expects the Colts to do. To me, they are left with no other alternative but to cut him given Manning's stance on his contract situation and the condition of this neck.

I've seen no indication that he will even play in 2012. I'm not sure what he expects the Colts to do. To me, they are left with no other alternative but to cut him given Manning's stance on his contract situation and the condition of this neck.
Hoss/Johnny U agrees with you.

What kind of indication are you looking for?

Him throwing the ball would be starters.

I don't buy this. What's especially weak is the argument about Manning not going on IR, thus preventing Indy from having one more player on their roster, making them less competitive? Seriously? Who really thinks that a street free-agent would have caused the Colts to win any more games? When you have to create this kind of conspiracy, it usually means one doesn't exist.
I donn't buy CTSU's thoughts, but you call out his argument being "especially weak" because of a pretty silly reason given what is going on with Sterling Moore in New England.

I donn't buy CTSU's thoughts, but you call out his argument being "especially weak" because of a pretty silly reason given what is going on with Sterling Moore in New England.
What does Sterling Moore have to do with Peyton Manning? Do you really think a street free-agent would have made a difference in the Colts season?

What does Sterling Moore have to do with Peyton Manning? Do you really think a street free-agent would have made a difference in the Colts season?
My mistake. Wasn't thinking Colts only, which you were. But either way in todays NFL I think most teams can catch lightening in a bottle and may only be 1 player away.

I don't believe the Colts want him to eat 28 million, I think they would like him, given the situation, to work with them so that A. they know for sure he is healthy before they pee away another 28 million, or B. if he wants to leave, then work with the team and allow them to get something in return (if for no other reason than the 20 million he took for doing nothing last year).You say manning did his job, no he didn't, he took 20 mil and did not play a down of football for them.
That isn't very smart. Why go to Team X and force them to trade away players/picks to get Manning when he could go there for free? If he wanted to go to the Ravens to try to win the Super Bowl, his odds of winning would be much higher than if to go to Baltimore the Ravens had to give up their first round pick and Haloti Ngata. If he wants to win a SB, his best chance would be to go to a team as a FA, not via trade.

Hoss/Johnny U agrees with you.
...and in the end, that is all either party owes the other. Silly to think that Indy "owes" the bonus due to "years of service", and even sillier that Manning should "give the hometown discount" for taking the money last year.

He has been throwing for a while now.

He has been throwing for a while now.
At full strength?

I don't believe the Colts want him to eat 28 million, I think they would like him, given the situation, to work with them so that A. they know for sure he is healthy before they pee away another 28 million, or B. if he wants to leave, then work with the team and allow them to get something in return (if for no other reason than the 20 million he took for doing nothing last year).You say manning did his job, no he didn't, he took 20 mil and did not play a down of football for them.
That isn't very smart. Why go to Team X and force them to trade away players/picks to get Manning when he could go there for free? If he wanted to go to the Ravens to try to win the Super Bowl, his odds of winning would be much higher than if to go to Baltimore the Ravens had to give up their first round pick and Haloti Ngata. If he wants to win a SB, his best chance would be to go to a team as a FA, not via trade.
:goodposting:

That's not the only option, they could have made a trade for someone who would have made an impact.This isn't something I actually believe I was just throwing out a theory based on what I'd read.

My mistake. Wasn't thinking Colts only, which you were. But either way in todays NFL I think most teams can catch lightening in a bottle and may only be 1 player away.
Not trying to be flip, but in this case, that one player was Peyton Manning.

That's not the only option, they could have made a trade for someone who would have made an impact.This isn't something I actually believe I was just throwing out a theory based on what I'd read.
Who? What QB "that could have made an impact" could they have traded for before the trade deadline? McNabb? Orton? Since McNabb was reported to have had trouble with picking up the Skins & Vikes offense the last 2 years, what makes anyone think he could have/would have been any better than Collins, Painter, et al? The Colts didn't have to trade for Orton, they could have claimed him off waivers. If he really could have "made a difference," they could have cut someone other than Manning to make room.The only QB I think "could" have made that impact was Palmer. And, the Bengals weren't trading him until the Raiders offered a kings ransom for him. The Colts would have been lambasted if they had made that trade, for those picks (especially after they had signed Collins for $4M).

The argument that Peyton occupied a roster spot is "evidence" that the Colts were tanking for Luck doesn't hold water. I'm not saying they weren't (although I don't think they were), but using this as any kind of "proof" is ridiculous.

That isn't very smart. Why go to Team X and force them to trade away players/picks to get Manning when he could go there for free?
Because the Colts gave him 20 Million Dollars last year in good faith thinking he would play and he didn't.[QUOTE='Chase Stuart]If he wanted to go to the Ravens to try to win the Super Bowl, his odds of winning would be much higher than if to go to Baltimore the Ravens had to give up their first round pick and Haloti Ngata. If he wants to win a SB, his best chance would be to go to a team as a FA, not via trade.
[/QUOTE] If it is all about winning a SB, wouldn't his odds also be much higher if he took a small salary from whatever team he went to? (so they could sign players around him). But we all know that sure as heck isn't going to happen.He has the colts over a barrel and he is within his right to put the screws to them. I never said he needs to give Indy all the power, I just thought that given the relationship and especially considering the 20 Million he took last year, he could work with them to show them he is healthy or work with them so that they get something. Reasonable minds can dissagree.

The proof that they were sucking for Luck needs to go no further than the signing of KFC (Kerry Freaking Collins).

If it is all about winning a SB, wouldn't his odds also be much higher if he took a small salary from whatever team he went to? (so they could sign players around him). But we all know that sure as heck isn't going to happen.
You must have been furious at Tom Brady when he signed an extension and became the NFL's highest paid player at that time. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/09/tom-brady-contract-extens_n_711578.html
good one.

If it is all about winning a SB, wouldn't his odds also be much higher if he took a small salary from whatever team he went to? (so they could sign players around him). But we all know that sure as heck isn't going to happen.
I don't know that it's not going to happen. My guess is that he would have to take a small base salary with incentives. I don't know any team that would guarantee him a big contract given that he just sat out a full season due to injury.

Listening to Bill Polian on Mike & Mike this morning, I think Manning is 100% gone from Indy.

Polian and Mort hinted that Irsay's main hope would be that Peyton would agree to retire this year, and they would send him out in style. But they both acknowledged that Manning won't do that and that means he'll be playing elsewhere next year. It seemed that they believe there won't be any kind of games played, the most likely scenario will be the Colts declining the bonus, making Manning free to sign anywhere.

Listening to Bill Polian on Mike & Mike this morning, I think Manning is 100% gone from Indy.Polian and Mort hinted that Irsay's main hope would be that Peyton would agree to retire this year, and they would send him out in style. But they both acknowledged that Manning won't do that and that means he'll be playing elsewhere next year. It seemed that they believe there won't be any kind of games played, the most likely scenario will be the Colts declining the bonus, making Manning free to sign anywhere.
Jason, do you get the feeling that Irsay believes Manning's injury is serious enough that he can't play anymore? Or has reality escaped Irsay? Or has reality escaped Manning?

Listening to Bill Polian on Mike & Mike this morning, I think Manning is 100% gone from Indy.Polian and Mort hinted that Irsay's main hope would be that Peyton would agree to retire this year, and they would send him out in style. But they both acknowledged that Manning won't do that and that means he'll be playing elsewhere next year. It seemed that they believe there won't be any kind of games played, the most likely scenario will be the Colts declining the bonus, making Manning free to sign anywhere.
Jason, do you get the feeling that Irsay believes Manning's injury is serious enough that he can't play anymore? Or has reality escaped Irsay? Or has reality escaped Manning?
I think in that same interview Polian gave a strong message of helplessness regarding Manning's ability to heal. It gave me the feeling that Polian didn't think Manning was going to come back at all. But I could be reading into ####.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Jason Wood said:
I didn't get a feeling of that either way Hoss, but Polian was very emphatic (and he should know) that there's no test, drill, doctor, x-ray, etc...that will give them clarity about Manning's health anywhere close to the time they will have to decide what to do with him. Polian's point seemed to be that Irsay really wants to do right by Manning, but that can't reasonably be paying him $28mm and hoping for the best. And when asked if Manning could deal with Luck as his backup, Polian chose his words carefully and said that Peyton cares about winning games, and wants every decision the team makes to be about winning games. I took that to mean Polian was saying, "of course he wouldn't be happy with it."

%26%2339%3BLawFitz%26%2339%3B said:
The proof that they were sucking for Luck needs to go no further than the signing of KFC (Kerry Freaking Collins).
Actually, the Collins signing is pretty strong evidence that they weren't planning to Suck For Luck. Otherwise they wouldn't have spent $4 million on Collins in the first place.I'm sure the plans changed once Collins got injured, though.

Just have to assume Pantherclub didn't (fully) read the article posted 2 hours before he replied with this. Although he was replying to your response to the article.
Manning continues to work out daily and throw to his beloved and overworked equipment guys, but this past Sunday, he got out of the facility.
Too bad there's no regular staff or receivers left at the facility to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread