What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning won't delay $28M bonus (1 Viewer)

That was a great article. It's kind of sad that candor is so uncommon in pieces like this, that when we see it, it shines. But you are right that Manning seems to be pretty unhappy, but pragmatic, too. I am betting he's assuming he won't be back, and it making peace with it.
I've seen no indication that he will even play in 2012. I'm not sure what he expects the Colts to do. To me, they are left with no other alternative but to cut him given Manning's stance on his contract situation and the condition of this neck.
What kind of indication are you looking for?
Him throwing the ball would be starters.
He has been throwing for a while now.
At full strength?
The players he threw to in December said he had the "normal zip" on his balls.

I did not read the entire thread so I apologize if this has been brought up already.

For the posters criticizing Manning for not pushing back the $28 million roster date, they do realize it was Manning's idea to put this in the contract to give the Colts a way out in case he didn't recover?

Linky

The Colts can opt out of Manning's contract after this year. They have that option because Manning instructed agent Tom Condon to protect the team if he doesn't have the positive recovery doctors expect.

For those of us who were still holding out a belief that Manning would ultimately stay in Indy, I think yesterdays comments by Irsay all but close the book on that possibility.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/story/2012-01-26/irsay-manning-politician/52807460/1
And this quote by Manning...
At this point, Mr. Irsay and I owe it to each other and to the fans of the organization to handle this appropriately and professionally, and I think we will.
...sounds like it's coming from a guy who knows it's the end of the road in Indy, perhaps his career. We're at a waiting point now because we don't know what the doctors are going to wind up advising Peyton. My sense is Irsay has made up his mind, regardless. It's just up to Peyton whether he feels the neck has healed enough to risk going out there to start over with another team or just call it a career.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of us who were still holding out a belief that Manning would ultimately stay in Indy, I think yesterdays comments by Irsay all but close the book on that possibility.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/story/2012-01-26/irsay-manning-politician/52807460/1
And this quote by Manning...
At this point, Mr. Irsay and I owe it to each other and to the fans of the organization to handle this appropriately and professionally, and I think we will.
...sounds like it's coming from a guy who knows it's the end of the road in Indy, perhaps his career. We're at a waiting point now because we don't know what the doctors are going to wind up advising Peyton. My sense is Irsay has made up his mind, regardless. It's just up to Peyton whether he feels the neck has healed enough to risk going out there to start over with another team or just call it a career.
I think both Manning and Irsay are waiting to hear back from NER if it's OK for Manning to retire with the bonus he got last season. Otherwise, I hear from a reliable source that Manning will give 51% to a charity of Brady's choice.

I know it's unlikely, but I would rather see him retire.

It's kind of remarkable to think how many Hall of Fame caliber players end up playing for a bit with another team that most casual fans will never associate them with. I'm too busy this morning to bother, but does anyone know how many HOF QBs ended up with another team at the end? Obviously Namath, Montana, Favre (eventual HOF), Tarkenton, Unitas...anyone else? :confused:

I did not read the entire thread so I apologize if this has been brought up already.

For the posters criticizing Manning for not pushing back the $28 million roster date, they do realize it was Manning's idea to put this in the contract to give the Colts a way out in case he didn't recover?

Linky

The Colts can opt out of Manning's contract after this year. They have that option because Manning instructed agent Tom Condon to protect the team if he doesn't have the positive recovery doctors expect.
And, perhaps unplanned, but the uncertainty of his healing makes that stipulation work to Manning's advantage in that Colts will likely be forced to cut him. Then Manning will have some choice in teams he can sign with.

I know it's unlikely, but I would rather see him retire.It's kind of remarkable to think how many Hall of Fame caliber players end up playing for a bit with another team that most casual fans will never associate them with. I'm too busy this morning to bother, but does anyone know how many HOF QBs ended up with another team at the end? Obviously Namath, Montana, Favre (eventual HOF), Tarkenton, Unitas...anyone else? :confused:
Warren Moon bounced around after his Houston years - Min, KC and Seattle.If Manning is healthy I'd love for him to play for someone else for a few years - the league is better with him in it IMO.

From colts.com today - http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/JOINT-STATEMENT/253672a8-2932-481f-8eb9-ec74bfbb2f1e

JOINT STATEMENT FROM PEYTON MANNING AND JIM IRSAY*

We would like to dispel any misperception that there might be any hard feelings between us.

Since 1998, we have enjoyed a great relationship, based upon mutual respect and trust. We have always been able to talk and address matters we’ve faced over the years, not just as owner and player, but as friends. We had a long talk today and we want to assure Colts fans everywhere that we are both committed to maintaining our close relationship and to working together through any challenges the future may bring.
blah blah blah :rolleyes:

I know it's unlikely, but I would rather see him retire.It's kind of remarkable to think how many Hall of Fame caliber players end up playing for a bit with another team that most casual fans will never associate them with. I'm too busy this morning to bother, but does anyone know how many HOF QBs ended up with another team at the end? Obviously Namath, Montana, Favre (eventual HOF), Tarkenton, Unitas...anyone else? :confused:
I disagree. If he is not healthy enough, then yes I would rather see him retire. On the other hand as an NFL fan, I hope he is healthy enough next year and he does move on to a contender.I have to say, I don't think we realized how spoiled we might be right now as NFL fans based on the quality of QBs in the league. Imagine next year that Manning is healthy and moves on and the Colts play Luck, we would have:AFC:BradyRoethlisbergerSchaubP. Manning(?)Luck(assuming hype)RiversNFC:RodgersE. ManningRomoCutlerVickStaffordNewtonRyanBreesAnd that doesn't even count decent guys like Fitzpatrick, Flacco, Palmer, and Smith and young guys like Flynn, Dalton, Ponder, Bradford, Tebow, who could end up being solid QBs. Heck, even guys like Sanchez may suck, but could turn it around.I don't recall so many quality QBs in the NFL before. Maybe I have short term memory, but it definitely doesn't seem like we have had so few "bad" QBs.

@AdamSchefter Brett Favre drama dragged through other off-seasons. Lockout lasted through last off-season. Peyton will be this off-season's Favre/lockout.9 hours ago via WhoSay
https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter
Not going to happen. Peyton Manning has more class than that. You have heard the end of the Colts and Manning discussing this in public. If Manning is cut he will be the #1 free agent on the market, and teams like the Dolphins and Redskins are lining up. Irsay will give him a big "Thank You" for all he has done and that will be it. This will all be settled by April.

@AdamSchefter Brett Favre drama dragged through other off-seasons. Lockout lasted through last off-season. Peyton will be this off-season's Favre/lockout.9 hours ago via WhoSay
Not going to happen. Peyton Manning has more class than that. You have heard the end of the Colts and Manning discussing this in public. If Manning is cut he will be the #1 free agent on the market, and teams like the Dolphins and Redskins are lining up. Irsay will give him a big "Thank You" for all he has done and that will be it. This will all be settled by April.
I think Manning takes a direct flight to San Fran and sets up shop there. Personally after seeing how the NY press and fans I think he doesnt want any part of New York.

@AdamSchefter

Brett Favre drama dragged through other off-seasons. Lockout lasted through last off-season. Peyton will be this off-season's Favre/lockout.

9 hours ago via WhoSay
Which means it could still be this off-seasons's Favre/lockout story - another 2-3 months of this could overshadow all other off-season stories.

@AdamSchefter

Brett Favre drama dragged through other off-seasons. Lockout lasted through last off-season. Peyton will be this off-season's Favre/lockout.

9 hours ago via WhoSay
Which means it could still be this off-seasons's Favre/lockout story - another 2-3 months of this could overshadow all other off-season stories.
The Favre drama was for 3 years.The lockout drama was for 3 months.

The Manning/Irsay drama was for 3 days. Trust me, they had a meeting and mum is the word.

Maybe after ten years or so he'll come back and kiss Isrsay on the cheek and say, "I love you, man", after his replacement wins the AFC title. After Brady retires, of course.

There has always been a mutual respect between Peyton Manning and Bill Belichick. Maybe Peyton could back up Tom Brady next season?

It's going to be fun reading Irsay's tweets as he attempts "to serve and protect" the horseshoe. It will be like putting Barney Fife in charge of the jail.

I think most would agree it was great seeing Kurt Warner slinging it in AZ his last few years. If Manning is healthy enough he should play whereever he wants. It be good for all fans.

I think anyone expecting a quick resolution beyond the Colts cutting him are barking up the wrong tree. He's not healthy. What team is going to sign him until he's medically cleared? I think retirement is the most likely scenario, or a signing toward the summer if the nerve repair kicks into overdrive.

I think anyone expecting a quick resolution beyond the Colts cutting him are barking up the wrong tree. He's not healthy. What team is going to sign him until he's medically cleared? I think retirement is the most likely scenario, or a signing toward the summer if the nerve repair kicks into overdrive.
posted today...Peter King of SI and NBC Sports reported Sunday that Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) is "struggling" to get healthy.

Manning needs to get to 100 percent before March 8, when his roster bonus comes due, in order to have any prayer of seeing the $28 million payment. (It's not happening.) The new expectation around the league is that Manning will be released before the start of the NFL Scouting Combine in late February.

posted today...Peter King of SI and NBC Sports reported Sunday that Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) is "struggling" to get healthy.

Manning needs to get to 100 percent before March 8, when his roster bonus comes due, in order to have any prayer of seeing the $28 million payment. (It's not happening.) The new expectation around the league is that Manning will be released before the start of the NFL Scouting Combine in late February.
Yep. It's interesting as it seems that fan bases all around the league are thinking of Manning being on the market as "A 100% healthy, in his prime, Peyton Manning." While I get that kind of enthusiasm from fans, particularly casual ones, I also wonder how they can make that leap. If Manning was THAT GUY, we wouldn't be having these conversations. I genuinely think there would be next to no chance that Irsay would release Manning if he was able to show he was 100% already.

Yep. It's interesting as it seems that fan bases all around the league are thinking of Manning being on the market as "A 100% healthy, in his prime, Peyton Manning." While I get that kind of enthusiasm from fans, particularly casual ones, I also wonder how they can make that leap. If Manning was THAT GUY, we wouldn't be having these conversations. I genuinely think there would be next to no chance that Irsay would release Manning if he was able to show he was 100% already.
The bigger question is will he be 100% in the near future.That's what makes this situation so difficult for Colts management.

The bigger question is will he be 100% in the near future.That's what makes this situation so difficult for Colts management.
I think Polian's comments said it all. There's no test, doctor, medicine, diagnostic, etc...that will give them ANY more clarity by the deadline than they have right now. Just time and Peyton.

I think it depends on what Peyton is willing to play for and what kind of contract he'll do. If he's expecting a normally structured contract that pays him Brady and pre-injury Peyton money, then I agree no one is going to sign him until he's healthy.If he's willing to sign a deal with less money guaranteed money initially, but with escalators based on playing time, and structured so it's not painful to cut him after year 2 if he's still not healthy, I could see a team making the gamble.

I think it depends on what Peyton is willing to play for and what kind of contract he'll do. If he's expecting a normally structured contract that pays him Brady and pre-injury Peyton money, then I agree no one is going to sign him until he's healthy.If he's willing to sign a deal with less money guaranteed money initially, but with escalators based on playing time, and structured so it's not painful to cut him after year 2 if he's still not healthy, I could see a team making the gamble.
I just don't know what team would do that. If you sign him, and aren't sure he's going to be healthy, you're taking an enormous risk to the makeup of your team. Alex Smith, for example, is flying high right now. 49ers seem ready to make him a commitment to the tune of a 3-4 year deal. All of the sudden they sign Manning to a "pay or bust" incentive deal and what happens then? If Manning plays, everyone puts on their big boy pants and just sucks it up as a reality. But if Manning never sees the field? It sets back what was an amazing turnaround.

I just don't know what team would do that. If you sign him, and aren't sure he's going to be healthy, you're taking an enormous risk to the makeup of your team. Alex Smith, for example, is flying high right now. 49ers seem ready to make him a commitment to the tune of a 3-4 year deal. All of the sudden they sign Manning to a "pay or bust" incentive deal and what happens then? If Manning plays, everyone puts on their big boy pants and just sucks it up as a reality. But if Manning never sees the field? It sets back what was an amazing turnaround.
It might not make sense for a team like the 49ers to do so because they have a very solid all around team. But take a team like the Seahawks or Browns. They have top ten defenses, have a capable running back, but have weak receivers and nothing good at QB. The addition of a healthy Manning could turn them into a division contender. A team like that might be willing to take the risk if they don't get a potential franchise QB out of the draft or sign someone like Flynn.Of course, Peyton might not want to go to a team like that compared to a team who is already contending. But if those teams aren't willing to give him a contract like you're saying, maybe he'll decide he's better off getting on a team in time for OTAs and training camp than he is waiting for a camp injury.

It might not make sense for a team like the 49ers to do so because they have a very solid all around team. But take a team like the Seahawks or Browns. They have top ten defenses, have a capable running back, but have weak receivers and nothing good at QB. The addition of a healthy Manning could turn them into a division contender. A team like that might be willing to take the risk if they don't get a potential franchise QB out of the draft or sign someone like Flynn.Of course, Peyton might not want to go to a team like that compared to a team who is already contending. But if those teams aren't willing to give him a contract like you're saying, maybe he'll decide he's better off getting on a team in time for OTAs and training camp than he is waiting for a camp injury.
Tennessee Titans.

The problem is also the timing as relates to opening of free agency and the NFL draft. The Colts will draft Luck and some other team will draft Griffin. Someone will sign Flynn. That removes two of the potential landing spots (plus Indy, obviously).

If my team didn't have Tom Brady, I'd be thrilled if they signed Manning immediately. Who cares if he's not cleared? He's still a far, far better risk than almost anyone you're going to draft in the 1st round most seasons.

Peyton Manning - QB - Colts

According to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, "whispers coming out of Indy" are that Peyton Manning's (neck surgeries) career is over.

Those close to Manning believe he's "determined" to continue his football career, but we don't doubt that there is heavy speculation among Colts fans and team observers about Manning considering or even being close to retirement. More information should continue to trickle out as the days pass by.

Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter

Peyton Manning - QB - ColtsAccording to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, "whispers coming out of Indy" are that Peyton Manning's (neck surgeries) career is over.Those close to Manning believe he's "determined" to continue his football career, but we don't doubt that there is heavy speculation among Colts fans and team observers about Manning considering or even being close to retirement. More information should continue to trickle out as the days pass by.Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter
I really hope he isn't done. One of my favorite players to watch.

Peyton Manning - QB - ColtsAccording to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, "whispers coming out of Indy" are that Peyton Manning's (neck surgeries) career is over.Those close to Manning believe he's "determined" to continue his football career, but we don't doubt that there is heavy speculation among Colts fans and team observers about Manning considering or even being close to retirement. More information should continue to trickle out as the days pass by.Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter
I hope he is done. You don't mess around with neck injuries in a violent game. He's made a ton of money for his family and will be able to work around football for the next 40 years if he wants.

In a Tuesday interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo, Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) insisted that he expects to receive medical clearance to play the 2012 season.

Despite heavy speculation Monday that multiple surgeries will end Manning's career, he maintains that he's still making steady progress in rebuilding strength. "Doctors and I have been in good, constant communication," said Manning. "And I'm very encouraged by what they've said. Everything's right on point that I'll be cleared and ready to play." Of the retirement reports, Manning said, "I have no plans on doing that." ESPN's Adam Schefter expects Manning to become "the most decorated and high-profile free agent in NFL history." His $28 million option will likely be declined well before the March 8 deadline.

'RUSF18 said:
'thayman said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
I hope he is done. You don't mess around with neck injuries in a violent game. He's made a ton of money for his family and will be able to work around football for the next 40 years if he wants.
So even if his neck heals, you want him to stop playing? That's dumb.

'RUSF18 said:
'thayman said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
Depends whhat you mean by heal.. anything less than 100% and I'd lean towards hoping he stays out.

I think most would agree it was great seeing Kurt Warner slinging it in AZ his last few years. If Manning is healthy enough he should play whereever he wants. It be good for all fans.
Kurt made Arizona a Super Bowl contender for a couple years. I'd bet Manning could do the same. The Cardinals were sneaky good late last year without much at the QB position.

Would Peyton be more likely to be a broadcaster or coach?
With all the commercials he has done, the Networks will throw more money at him to be an Analyst, then teams will give him to coach. I say he'll be working for CBS come next fall with Boomer and they gang.

I can't fathom Peyton coaching. Guys that are that good are rarely great coaches, they expect too much of their players who have almost no chance of matching what they were able to accomplish.

I can't fathom Peyton coaching. Guys that are that good are rarely great coaches, they expect too much of their players who have almost no chance of matching what they were able to accomplish.
True in almost every sport.

I know it's unlikely, but I would rather see him retire.

It's kind of remarkable to think how many Hall of Fame caliber players end up playing for a bit with another team that most casual fans will never associate them with. I'm too busy this morning to bother, but does anyone know how many HOF QBs ended up with another team at the end? Obviously Namath, Montana, Favre (eventual HOF), Tarkenton, Unitas...anyone else? :confused:
Fran's career - Which of the teams that Tark played for is considered the "other" team; the Giants or the Vikings stints on either end?
(I know you're busy today - I'm just busting on you. ;) )

I'm not sure he would make a good head coach, but I do think he could be a good OC.

'RUSF18 said:
'thayman said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
Depends whhat you mean by heal.. anything less than 100% and I'd lean towards hoping he stays out.
Haven't they said that Peyton's injury isn't the type that was at risk to further injury? In fact, I'm pretty sure they explicitly said it's not like he's going to walk out there and end up paralyzed because of this. He's not at any more risk of an injury like that than any other player in the league.

I could just see the youtube clips now if he were a coach. "C'mon _______ (Andrew?)" Followed by a slap upside the helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread