What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pickleball - anyone play? (2 Viewers)

Thinking of picking up pickleball - any suggestions on brand of racket/paddle?

Want to keep the price reasonably low, but don’t want a piece of crap either. Not planning on playing competitively or anything, just recreationally with the wife and some friends.

TIA
I'd start with a cheap set (Niupipo, Xspack, etc.) off Amazon and upgrade as you improve. As a beginner a better paddle won't help much. You'll know when you're ready.

Don't even address me in this thread if your DUPR isn't 4.5.

I don't have time for bottomfeeders.

If you don't know what DUPR is, well, it's nice that you have found a fun hobby. I'm happy for you.

Don't even address me in this thread if your DUPR isn't 4.5.

I don't have time for bottomfeeders.

If you don't know what DUPR is, well, it's nice that you have found a fun hobby. I'm happy for you.
I prefer Onslaught.

Discovered Pickleball 6 months ago
Playing 4-5 days a week now. Usually play with my SO. Something a lot more entertaining than just running on the treadmill etc, especially in the winter.

Got into it this past spring and summer. Play twice a week at a nearby gym. One side is for beginners and the older crowd (65+), and the other side for younger. Played with the "gold" medal winner (over 50) in doubles, mixed and singles. He can flat out hit the ball - can just toy with you from the baseline.

I used to play a lot of tennis (and still do when I can) but this is a nice change and will keep me busy in the winter.

Bought this in the spring and we play as a family in the cul-de-sac. http://www.amazon.com/Oncourt-Offcourt-1363633-PickleNet-Pickleball/dp/B006U0X09W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441049944&sr=8-1&keywords=pickleball+net
Hmmmm. That would have been a cheaper and much less labor intensive approach.
It works. When we go camping we'll usually play on a half of the run down tennis courts and just chalk the lines (that takes some time - but I bought a 10 foot 2x4 and lay it down for the straight chalk lines and it helps).

I also bought outdoor balls which are a bit different than the indoor ones they use at the rec.
Had no idea that there are different balls for indoor versus outdoor. Here's a photo of the new court. Spent a day busting the driveway, digging and pouring concrete for the posts, and then another day taping and painting the lines.

http://i.imgur.com/0y0Zsbw.jpg

:proudpapa:

Well, we’re under contract to sell our little place at the lake and buying another one. Will have to paint out another court. Unfortunately I will have to do some more involved concrete repair this time around (not a DIY). I do think having the court helped with the sale. No one in the area had any idea what it was when we installed it nine years ago but everyone here is now gaga for pickleball.

Last edited:
Played for the first time a couple of weeks ago with my brother, my dad and a friend of his. It was fun and a pretty decent workout (I'm 40 and can still move a bit. My hamstrings were a little sore for a couple of days after. Clearly working different muscles than basketball, which i play every week) but I dont think it will be more than a once in a while thing for me. Totally get why lots of people are into it though. Easy way to be active and its obviously social and can be played with a mixed group. Just never been a paddle/racquet sport guy. Maybe could see it being a once a week thing during the winter when I cant golf.

Even though it would be much harder, I wonder if i would enjoy singles a little more. I get that the dinking aspect of it is a big part of the strategy, but I'd rather move more and have more types of shots available.

Played for the first time a couple of weeks ago with my brother, my dad and a friend of his. It was fun and a pretty decent workout (I'm 40 and can still move a bit. My hamstrings were a little sore for a couple of days after. Clearly working different muscles than basketball, which i play every week) but I dont think it will be more than a once in a while thing for me. Totally get why lots of people are into it though. Easy way to be active and its obviously social and can be played with a mixed group. Just never been a paddle/racquet sport guy. Maybe could see it being a once a week thing during the winter when I cant golf.

Even though it would be much harder, I wonder if i would enjoy singles a little more. I get that the dinking aspect of it is a big part of the strategy, but I'd rather move more and have more types of shots available.
Singles pickleball is much more like tennis and is more focused on drives. Not much dinking. It's a great workout.

Played two times in the last couple months. It‘s fun, but public courts can be crowded, and more experienced players seemed to take advantage of the queue determining the order of play. While that can happen in any sport in shared areas, the picklers were a little more obnoxious than their counterparts on the tennis courts.

I guess it’s time to decide if a portable net is worthwhile. Short of creating a bigbottom-style recreation center, what do I need to consider when purchasing a net, and setting up a private court?

@bigbottom was an OG in this pickelball craze. Hopefully you bought some stock or some **** back in 2015 when you started this thread

🤣 Alas, no. And while I’ve really enjoyed playing the sport the last nine years, it’s always just been for fun with friends and family, often accompanied by alcohol for those playing. Never got into the competitive side with ratings and rankings and such.

Singles is much more fun. Honestly I find doubles to be pretty boring. Singles pickleball is my favorite workout because, if you put in 100%, you can get to almost any ball on the court. But it requires a lot of hustle.

This is why I picked it up like 10 years ago (before it was cool!). My buddy and I wanted something better than running for a workout, so we tried to pick up tennis. The problem was tennis was too hard and we couldn't keep a rally going long enough to get a workout. So we tried pickleball which was basically like tennis but way easier, and we could immediately have long rallies with the ball crossing the net ~10 times and us hustling back and forth across the court and wearing ourselves out.

I get that doubles is fun for old people with dead knees. I'm 41 so can still move and find doubles to be pretty boring, but singles EXTREMELY fun.

I'm in great shape, relatively athletic.

I enjoy the strategy of doubles immensely more. I play doubles strictly in tournament.

The one great thing about singles is that it helps you develop "tennis shots" that are handy in doubles if you don't already have them. Also better cardio, but I get my cardio from basketball and running so don't need singles for that.

Last edited:
Played again last night for the first time in 5-6 years. Loved it and can’t wait to play more. So much fun. Great workout too.

Users who are viewing this thread