What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pickleball - anyone play? (1 Viewer)

Apple Valley Community Center. If better courts exist in the twin cities, I'd be surprised. Where do you guys play?

Apple Valley Community Center. If better courts exist in the twin cities, I'd be surprised. Where do you guys play?
I may have to check that out - are there set times for open play? Different levels of play?

I've been playing at a burb to the SW of there on makeshift courts - lines are painted but nets are portable.

Watched a little of the linked gold medal match. Why don't they hit as hard as possible on every stroke? Why does it look like they are purposely trying to have a long rally? You take the point. No, you take the point...

Watched a little of the linked gold medal match. Why don't they hit as hard as possible on every stroke? Why does it look like they are purposely trying to have a long rally? You take the point. No, you take the point...
Could be like ping pong in the sense that you really need to have the ball elevated in order to safely go after it with speed.

I played in high school and college. It's a lot of fun - lots of stooping, though.

I was walking back from the rec center in college after a pickleball tournament with a buddy who was holding a wiffle ball. We saw a bunny about 20 yards away, and my buddy whipped the wiffle ball at the bunny. He nailed him broadsides, made a weird sound when it hit, halfway between a pickleball hit and a kung fu meat smack. My buddy was actually kind of scared he had hurt the bunny - he never expected to actually hit him. Bunny didn't seem fazed - just sat there for awhile then hopped away nonchalantly, muttering.

For those who scoff...it all depends on who/how you play.

Back when I played a lot with my fellow teachers I remember being somewhat humbled by a female PE teacher (not a lesbian) that was in great shape and had played a little college tennis.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
If you hit it as hard as you can, it's going to go long (courts are much shorter than in tennis). If you're talking about the dinking at the front of the net, you can't volley (hit the ball without it hitting the ground first) from the no-volley zone in front of the net. So one strategy is to stand right at the line behind the no-volley zone and dink it just over the net where the opponent has to let it bounce first. But after the bounce, the ball isn't high enough to hit a hard shot so they have to dink it back. And that goes back and forth until someone makes a mistake and hits it too high and has the ball smashed back at them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have to check that out - are there set times for open play? Different levels of play?

I've been playing at a burb to the SW of there on makeshift courts - lines are painted but nets are portable.
Definitely check it out...I've got friends that drive up from Owatonna to play because the courts are so nice. (and they already have some pretty nice courts there as well). Saturday mornings the courts are full...but everyone gives up their court after a game so people can rotate in, and with 9 courts you won't have to wait more than like 10 minutes. We've actually never had to sit when the courts are full as there tends to be a court free while people rest/converse.

Far as I know it's always open play right now. It would surprise me if they didn't add leagues next year.

The first night we played there they turned the lights on and we played till like 9:45 at night when they closed the place.

Since it's a CC, they also have paddles you can check out and will sell you a ball if you need.

If you hit it as hard as you can, it's going to go long (courts are much shorter than in tennis).If you're talking about the dinking at the front of the net, you can't volley (hit the ball without it hitting the ground first) from the no-volley zone in front of the net. So one strategy is to stand right at the line behind the no-volley zone and dink it just over the net where the opponent has to let it bounce first. But after the bounce, the ball isn't high enough to hit a hard shot so they have to dink it back. And that goes back and forth until someone makes a mistake and hits it too high and has the ball smashed back at them.
:goodposting:

This game can be played with power and with finesse. It takes time to develop a good net game, and when you get into a game of dink and dunk with someone experience they are just going to keep tapping it until you either fault, or give them an easy smash.

That being said...we like to end those rallies of dink and dunk early by smashing it at each others' chest from below the plain of the net. It's either going to be a "GOTCHA point", or we'll all be laughing uncontrollably by the miss that rockets 30 feet out. (I feel like there's an unspoken wager going on between us as to who breaks down and buy goggles first)

Can't see the video at work. I have very limited area to play this at home, since my road is a steep hill, as is half my driveway. Is a single car driveway with tight borders (house on one side, plants on the other) about two and a half car lengths long a large enough area to play this on?

Can't see the video at work. I have very limited area to play this at home, since my road is a steep hill, as is half my driveway. Is a single car driveway with tight borders (house on one side, plants on the other) about two and a half car lengths long a large enough area to play this on?
for an official court...probably not, but with as hooked as my friends and I are, I wouldn't put it past us to try something similar some day. I'm actually planning an event with yard games and now that you mention it, might see what I can do to put up a make shift court in my driveway.

:goodposting:

This game can be played with power and with finesse. It takes time to develop a good net game, and when you get into a game of dink and dunk with someone experience they are just going to keep tapping it until you either fault, or give them an easy smash.

That being said...we like to end those rallies of dink and dunk early by smashing it at each others' chest from below the plain of the net. It's either going to be a "GOTCHA point", or we'll all be laughing uncontrollably by the miss that rockets 30 feet out. (I feel like there's an unspoken wager going on between us as to who breaks down and buy goggles first)
I don't wear shades anymore when playing outdoors. Had them smashed off my face!

Okay, so I'm WAAY late to this party, but getting ready to pour a 60x55 concrete pour in the next few weeks so we can have 2 side by side pickleball courts. My question is, don't some people then paint or coat the concrete with some kind of paint/special surface that is supposed to help footing and protect the surface or no? Best place to buy pole/nets? Any tips/suggestions? 

Okay, so I'm WAAY late to this party, but getting ready to pour a 60x55 concrete pour in the next few weeks so we can have 2 side by side pickleball courts. My question is, don't some people then paint or coat the concrete with some kind of paint/special surface that is supposed to help footing and protect the surface or no? Best place to buy pole/nets? Any tips/suggestions? 
Our court is just a regular concrete court. We painted lines and installed heavy duty PVC sleeves in the concrete so the poles are removable. I purchased Wilson poles and net from pickleballcentral.com. Cost $450 back in 2015. 

I still play about once a week.  (still playing tennis 2-3 times a week).  When I visit in-laws in Florida play almost everyday.  Serious business in FL.

Been playing for almost two years now here in SD where it’s been huge for a while, definitely ahead of most of the country.

A lot of pros down here,  I play about twice a week and am rated about 4.25.

Ask me anything. 

How the hell do you win a point?  I saw the ball bounce two, three times on the ground and the point continued.  Is it when it goes in the net or over those 15 foot walls, what's the deal?  Long ### points, more aggressive and way more work and injuries.  Looks great but no way will that touch the popularity of pickle ball, too taxing.
It appeared from the video that one point was won when an overhead smash hit the opposite wall and then landed back on the side of the person who hit it.  I need to rewatch as I’m not sure about some of the two bounces - maybe it can bounce before and after hitting a wall.

How the hell do you win a point?  I saw the ball bounce two, three times on the ground and the point continued.  Is it when it goes in the net or over those 15 foot walls, what's the deal?  Long ### points, more aggressive and way more work and injuries.  Looks great but no way will that touch the popularity of pickle ball, too taxing.
It appeared from the video that one point was won when an overhead smash hit the opposite wall and then landed back on the side of the person who hit it.  I need to rewatch as I’m not sure about some of the two bounces - maybe it can bounce before and after hitting a wall.

Did I see a guy run out the "door" of the court and return a shot???

No thanks.

Hov34 said:
Did I see a guy run out the "door" of the court and return a shot???

No thanks.
I was playing in an indoor tournament in Lake City in a gymnasium. A live ball went past us and rolled into the men's room. I had to retrieve it. It had rolled all the way into the furthest corner next to a nasty toilet. I didn't even want to touch it but I didn't know what else to do as everyone was waiting for me. I scooped it with my paddle and tossed it to the other team without physically touching it, "your serve."

A girl I used to know is absolutely crushing it in Pickle Ball.  She was actually a pro tennis player for a stint, played Capriati in the French once, but never made it.  However, she is winning senior tournaments left and right, including Nationals.  Plays singles, doubs and mixed.

Talked to another girl from college last night.  Lives in Vail.  Nothing could get her off the mountain.  But she told me last night she stops skiing at 12:30 these days to play pickle ball instead.  LOVES it.  Said it's the fastest growing sport in the nation.

ETA this has also got to be a great sport for single men, and women, to "pick up".

Pickleball is HUGE in FL. I play all over the state. I do pretty good against the over 60 crowd and for that matter all ages. More and more youngsters are showing up and they are fun to play. 

Going to Ft. Myers Beach next week. Gonna play at an indoor and an outdoor in FM and then go to Naples where the Minto US Open is played. They have a 62 court facility with a great center court for spectating the finals. The Open is in April every year but the courts are open for play everyday.

Pickleball is HUGE in FL. I play all over the state. I do pretty good against the over 60 crowd and for that matter all ages. More and more youngsters are showing up and they are fun to play. 

Going to Ft. Myers Beach next week. Gonna play at an indoor and an outdoor in FM and then go to Naples where the Minto US Open is played. They have a 62 court facility with a great center court for spectating the finals. The Open is in April every year but the courts are open for play everyday.
You ever get over to Daytona and play at Pictona? That's my home club now. 24 courts, 8 covered and they just broke ground on adding an additional 24 courts with a championship stadium.

You ever get over to Daytona and play at Pictona? That's my home club now. 24 courts, 8 covered and they just broke ground on adding an additional 24 courts with a championship stadium.
I have not been to Pictona yet. I do play 2-3 times a year at Lulu McElroy Park in Daytona Beach Shores. I love to go get a hotel at the Nautilus and ride my beach cruiser to the park and play pb with the locals. The police station is right next door and off duty cops bang there,  the on duty cops even stop in to watch.

My sister's ex-bf won a big tourney at Pictona a few months ago in the 5.0s mens - Jim Hull. She was gonna bring him for txgiving so we could play but they broke up...

My home court is in Crystal River @ Jim LeGrone Park. I'm the admin for FB "Citrus County Pickleballers", we have over 230 members. We have a couple singles studs that are killing tourneys all over.

I'll look you up my next trip to DBS and stop in at Pictona on the way and we can hopefully get some games in.

Played in Naples several times as my in-laws used to live there.  A bit windy at times, but very nice facility.  Have never played on the "center (covered) courts" they look awesome.

:blackdot:   We are heading down to the beach in AL for Xmas and our complex just lined an outdoor court and added a net.  I'd like to order on Amazon and have available for our arrival a set of 4 paddles (right, paddles?) and balls.  There are dozens of sets and I have no clue what's what.  Can anyone share a link on a "nicer" set on Amazon?  Don't want to go "cheap" as I suspect these will get quite a bit of use.  Also, all of my "athletic" shoes are running shoes.  Should I be looking for something flatter to play in?

For perhaps the first time in my life, I feel like I was on the front end of a phenomenon. Pickleball is seemingly everywhere now. I have a bunch of friends (men and women) in competitive leagues.

I have not been to Pictona yet. I do play 2-3 times a year at Lulu McElroy Park in Daytona Beach Shores. I love to go get a hotel at the Nautilus and ride my beach cruiser to the park and play pb with the locals. The police station is right next door and off duty cops bang there,  the on duty cops even stop in to watch.

My sister's ex-bf won a big tourney at Pictona a few months ago in the 5.0s mens - Jim Hull. She was gonna bring him for txgiving so we could play but they broke up...

My home court is in Crystal River @ Jim LeGrone Park. I'm the admin for FB "Citrus County Pickleballers", we have over 230 members. We have a couple singles studs that are killing tourneys all over.

I'll look you up my next trip to DBS and stop in at Pictona on the way and we can hopefully get some games in.
Jimmy Hull, the Seafood guy? His shop is right around the corner on Granada. I had no idea he even played....

:blackdot:   We are heading down to the beach in AL for Xmas and our complex just lined an outdoor court and added a net.  I'd like to order on Amazon and have available for our arrival a set of 4 paddles (right, paddles?) and balls.  There are dozens of sets and I have no clue what's what.  Can anyone share a link on a "nicer" set on Amazon?  Don't want to go "cheap" as I suspect these will get quite a bit of use.  Also, all of my "athletic" shoes are running shoes.  Should I be looking for something flatter to play in?
For your first paddle just about anything on Amazon is fine and if you get serious nothing on Amazon is great. So, just buy the Niupipo or whatever cheap paddles and then upgrade from there. If you stick with it you'll know when you need to upgrade.

For perhaps the first time in my life, I feel like I was on the front end of a phenomenon. Pickleball is seemingly everywhere now. I have a bunch of friends (men and women) in competitive leagues.

:lmao:  

Oh you were, for sure.  I thought the topic was some kind of joke at first.  I hear about it all the time now, people love it.  I just wish it had a ticker symbol.

I don't wear shades anymore when playing outdoors. Had them smashed off my face!
Now I always wear shades for eye protection, even inside. The worst shots I've taken off my face were usually a shank carrom from my partner, not the opponent.

Anyone else still playing? I still play every night. The PPA Florida Open starts tomorrow at Pictona. First real use of our new courts and championship stadium. Seeing PPA roll in and set up all week has been like watching the circus come to town. They've pretty much taken over and rebranded the parts of the complex being used for the tournament to make sure all their branding and sponsors are visible for the cameras. They even took down the nice permanent net on the championship court and replaced it with a portable model used at places that don't have dedicated courts because its made by one of their advertisers. This is the first "big boys" tournament at Pictona so it should be interesting. They started showing up last night.
'

There is a big group that play in my area three days a week. I have gone a couple times on Saturdays and there has been about 50-ish people there to play. There are four courts set up and it rotates pretty fast. They start at about 9am and go until there is nobody there to play. It usually lasts about 3-4 hours and you can get in 7 or 8 games if you want. It's been fun.

Thinking of picking up pickleball - any suggestions on brand of racket/paddle?

Want to keep the price reasonably low, but don’t want a piece of crap either. Not planning on playing competitively or anything, just recreationally with the wife and some friends.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread