What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills (1 Viewer)

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/CJ-Spiller-worried-heavy-workload-11893

Here is an interesting article I ran upon last night. Ever since I drafted CJ spiller 2 overall I have be scouring the internet for good news about him and all the talk of Marrone giving him a huge workload until he throws up blah blah blah. I even got a clip where CJ spiller has a personal goal to rush for 2000.... Someone is lying here, either CJ spiller thinks he can avg 8 ypc and have 250 carries and rush for 2000, which we know is probably not possible or he is just being cautious because in the article it clearly states Spiller wants to rush about 12 carries a game which has been what he has been getting his whole career.... I sure hope this guy isn't overvalued because of what a dumb coach said... I highly doubt the guy gets 300 carries.. I think he has an awesome year but after reading this maybe 300 touches total is poss, not much more 250 carries x 50-60 catches which would still easily put him in the top 3..... Thoughts on this article or am I reading to much into it... Here is the article CJ said his goal is to rush for 2000....confused because these tell two different stories... I think anyone expecting 350-400 touches better simmer down he isn't AP...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/bills-rb-spiller-2-000-yard-goal-article-1.1427991
Funny because what I took from all that was the OC saying this:

asked Hackett if Spiller will be focal point of offense: "we will give him the ball until he throws up or taps out"
That sounds pretty awesome FF-wise.
it sure does hope it's true. I remember clippings last year chan gailey said he was gonna give spiller 25 carries/game once fjax went down.... how did that work out. I just hope they use the sh.it out of him.

Bump...not much coming from the Spiller front but lots coming from Bills in general due to whether EJ Manuel starts this Sunday. Just wanted to survey the crowd and Spiller owners as we near the start of the season.

Bump...not much coming from the Spiller front but lots coming from Bills in general due to whether EJ Manuel starts this Sunday. Just wanted to survey the crowd and Spiller owners as we near the start of the season.
Seems fairly likely that the Patriots blow out Buffalo no matter what. And I think Spiller's talents as a receiver will get him fantasy points no matter who plays QB. But I'll feel a bit safer if Manuel is playing Sunday.

Nice article from ESPN summarizing comments that Doug Marrone made about CJ during an interview today or yesterday. There is a link to the audio in the article. Sounds like Marrone knows what he has and won't hold back, good news :

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/84064/is-c-j-spillers-durability-concern-for-bills

On Thursday, head coach Doug Marrone addressed the concerns to the "SVP & Russillo" show on ESPN Radio:

"The knock, obviously, from what we've heard early on, is can he carry the ball 'X' amount of times over the course of a season and a game? C.J. has worked extremely hard and he is up for that challenge," Marrone said. "(But) that is something that is probably a little bit of an unknown."

Durable or not, Spiller presents a matchup nightmare for the Patriots, head coach Bill Belichick said this week.

"He’s one of the most explosive players in the league. He has great run vision, speed, catching the ball, he can line up out of the backfield like a receiver, can run receiver routes out of the backfield. He’s a combination of a back and a receiver. He’s a hard guy to tackle, a hard guy to cover; a versatile player who has a lot of skill," Belichick said. "He’s one of the toughest players in the league to match up against."

Marrone was asked if there were any limitations to where Spiller can contribute in the offense.

"I don't think there's a limit," Marrone told ESPN Radio." "He's a playmaker. You have to make sure that he's getting his touches during the course of the game, whether you're handing him the ball or throwing him the football."

Spiller did not look good today. The line wasn't opening many holes for him, but Jackson got much more on similar plays (Jackson did have a 15-20 yard gain on a huge hole on one rush which made the stat line look a little more gaudy).

I'm betting Spiller gets at least one more week as the feature back to see what he can do. Still, it looks like Jackson is going to be the designated 3rd down and 2:00 minute back.

Carolina's front 7 won't matter if they can give him some outside plays, or use him more in the passing game. Spiller needs to get into space, not run between the tackles every play.

I don't like him at all this week, it's an extremely poor matchup between Car's front 7 and Buf's OL

The Oline was fine, the play calling killed him. Super simple because EJ is a rookie, missed so much time, and it was the Pats.

Most of his runs were supposed to go up the gut, which is not his strength.

Car will defend that even better than the Pats. Bills need to open up the playbook for CJ to have a decent day. I would downgrade him for now.

Could be a good buy low guy after a few weeks.

The Oline was fine, the play calling killed him. Super simple because EJ is a rookie, missed so much time, and it was the Pats.

Most of his runs were supposed to go up the gut, which is not his strength.

Car will defend that even better than the Pats. Bills need to open up the playbook for CJ to have a decent day. I would downgrade him for now.

Could be a good buy low guy after a few weeks.
I would say that overall the line was "fine", but the caveat is that Colin Brown was beyond horrible. Granted, Wilfork is a tough task, but PFF had Brown graded out as the worst ranked offensive player period in Week 1. He lost on just about every single snap. That goes hand in hand then with the stupid decision by Hackett to keep running Spiller up the gut. It's not only not Spiller's strength, but the gut was constantly getting blown up thanks to Wilfork just blowing up Brown on every play.

The one thing that worries me is that there were a few occasions where Spiller seemed to have a gap and didn't do a ton with it. Joe Buscaglia posted this one. It's baffling that Spiller had that huge of a hole and got zero yards on that run. How is that even possible? That concerns me a bit.

From the summary:

Things may not get much easier for Spiller in Week 2, when he faces a Carolina Panthers defense that held the more physical Marshawn Lynch in check (17 carries, 43 yards) in Week 1.

Wonderful.
I am still happy to own CJ, but no way am I starting him at Carolina this week.

If you own Spiller, most likely he was your first round pick. How can you be happy to own him, not start him against the Panthers? If you have him, you gotta play him.

If you own Spiller, most likely he was your first round pick. How can you be happy to own him, not start him against the Panthers? If you have him, you gotta play him.
Agreed - unless you have equally good options, I can't imagine sitting him. Speculating on matchups can often backfire.

In the auction league I got Spiller in, I also have Rice and Reggie Bush. No idea who I'm going to start and to clarify, I'm not asking. Just pointing out that some of us may have the option of benching him.

In the auction league I got Spiller in, I also have Rice and Reggie Bush. No idea who I'm going to start and to clarify, I'm not asking. Just pointing out that some of us may have the option of benching him.
Don't know your lineup requirements or options. But to bench a Spiller after ONE game seems just silly to me.

Agreed - unless you have equally good options, I can't imagine sitting him. Speculating on matchups can often backfire.
I took him with the #4 pick overall, starting this week not expecting much but hoping for the best.

Don't know your lineup requirements or options. But to bench a Spiller after ONE game seems just silly to me.
Start 2 RBs, no flex. I just made sure getting a good backup RB was a priority in my draft. Bush might be the better start. Maybe my situation is more unique, but if I started Ray Rice and Reggie Bush, I wouldn't be crazy imo

Car stopped Sea but I just watched the tape. If you have the replay, check out the Sea LG Carpenter #77, he was the main reason they couldn't run at all. It looks like he is #2 on the depth chart, McQuistan started the first series then Carpenter came in. The coach said he did a "good job" but watch the plays and be the judge :lol:

Look at these second quarter plays:

11:49 - run for -3 yards, the G whiffs and blocks....nobody

13:11 - run for no gain - the G does the Olay move

3:13 - run for 2 yards - whiff on the block

2:00 - run for 5 yards to the right side...away from the LG who was holding his man :)

He was out of the game on the two runs in the 3rd, for 5 yards and no gain

Back in the 4th

12:58 - run for -1 - the G whiffs on the block completely

5:25 - run for -4 - the LT helps double with the LG and when the RG misses his block the backside is totally cut off with a defender running free forcing Lynch back for a big loss

3:57 - run for 2 yards - the RG doubles the NT with the C and then does a very poor job releasing him to move to the next level. He gets a half hearted chip on that player (before falling down) who comes up for the tackle.

2:17 - run for no gain - the LG gets pushed all the way into the backfield narrowing the gap for Lynch, LT is too slow to get to his blocking assignment (LB) who makes the tackle

So what does this have to do with Spiller? Well LG is the weakness on the Bills line also, but if there is any improvement over what I just watched Carpenter do then Spiller may have an easier time than Lynch did last week.

I have Trent Richardson and Reggie Bush. No way am I benching Bush, so it really comes down to Trent or CJ.

Squintz82 said:
Would owners of Spiller and Jackson consider starting both?
It's a prototypical low-variance play. Meaning you start 'em both if the rest of your lineup is otherwise a significant favorite against your opponent; flex someone else over F-Jax if they're otherwise a significant underdog.

jdoggydogg said:
Godsbrother said:
ahartig said:
From the summary:

Things may not get much easier for Spiller in Week 2, when he faces a Carolina Panthers defense that held the more physical Marshawn Lynch in check (17 carries, 43 yards) in Week 1.

Wonderful.
I am still happy to own CJ, but no way am I starting him at Carolina this week.
Starting him over TRich.

Squintz82 said:
It's a prototypical low-variance play. Meaning you start 'em both if the rest of your lineup is otherwise a significant favorite against your opponent; flex someone else over F-Jax if they're otherwise a significant underdog.
Squintz82 said:
Depends options but probably not.

For mer, that would mean benching Peterson
Would be FJax, Mathews, Givens or Simpson at flex this week :oldunsure:

Anyone have stats on how RBs typically do after their grandfather goes on a killing spree?

Gotta believe that had some impact. Hopefully he can put it behind him (and not just for FF reasons).

This was one of the most misleading situations of the preseason. All indications pointed to CJ carrying the load, but this is a full on committee with F-Jax. As someone who took Spiller top 3, I'm pretty pissed about this so far.

This was one of the most misleading situations of the preseason. All indications pointed to CJ carrying the load, but this is a full on committee with F-Jax. As someone who took Spiller top 3, I'm pretty pissed about this so far.
He doing fine today but needs a score

Last edited by a moderator:
Spiller looked good today... was more decisive running up the middle and eventually broke a long one. That's going to be his typical game.

Spiller looked good today... was more decisive running up the middle and eventually broke a long one. That's going to be his typical game.
He waited for his blocks to set up so he could find the cutback lanes too. He was pressing last week.

Bills featured back C.J. Spiller isn't complaining about sharing the load with veteran Fred Jackson. Spiller received 16 carries to Jackson's 12 against Carolina on Sunday, but he expressed satisfaction with those numbers.

"We had a great rotation on me and Fred, and that's what we're going to need," Spiller said on the team website. "I think this team ... it's going to start working on the run game. It's going to have to open things up for the receivers."

Not what I want to hear from my first round pick :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread