What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pre-Game Thread - Philadelphia Eagles at New York Giants (1 Viewer)

i hate the eagles. but, i really like Brian Westbrook. that screen play was awesome.

giants will run the ball down the eagles throats. 31-17 g-men

A "Burress-less" Giants is much preferred to the Panthers, from a Birds perspective. Thank the ALMIGHTY Plax ain't so good w/ his 9. :towelwave:

My gut tells me the Eagles win this game. However, the Vikes ran well on them and lost because Tavaris Jackson and the special teams stink. Jacobs and company should be able to run the ball. Manning is far superior to Jackson. This smells like a 3 point game to me.

My gut tells me the Eagles win this game. However, the Vikes ran well on them and lost because Tavaris Jackson and the special teams stink. Jacobs and company should be able to run the ball. Manning is far superior to Jackson. This smells like a 3 point game to me.
:goodposting: The Vikes had a decent total, but were anything BUT consistant in their rushing attack. Excepting one run, they averaged well under 3 ypc.

I agree that it smells like a 3 point game though.

:goodposting: The Vikes had a decent total, but were anything BUT consistant in their rushing attack. Excepting one run, they averaged well under 3 ypc.

I agree that it smells like a 3 point game though.
Yeah, you are right, although if the queen had ba11s, she'd be the king (in reference to removing the one run and saying they averaged well under 3 ypc). I think the whole body of work for the RBs (rushing and receiving for Taylor and Peterson) was good - 37 touches for 167 yards and 2 TD.

Giants are the better team, but these teams are so familiar with each other that a good part of that gets thrown out the window when they play.

I really don't have a feel on this one, except that it won't be a blowout either way (but could be a comfortable win).

I think the Eagles are easy to love in this game, but one major concern has to be the red zone offense. Akers does not have the best record kicking in NY, and the winds can get crazy, so we'll need to be able to run strong and punch it into the endzone. I like some of the tricks they used against Dallas (lining Westy out wide and throwing a screen pass to Buck), and i know they tried the "wild and wacky" Wildcat offense (I hope we can scratch this name now that Mia is done for the year), but hopefuly Andy has more tricks up his sleeve. I think the game will come down to this, our special teams will not be as fortunate and field position should be even with Rocca and Feagles punting. I am guessing NY will focus on stopping any big plays, so if we don't fix the red zone offense....

How well the Giants pressure McNabb, and how he responds, is going to be big here. A rested, prepared Giants team is going to be tough.

I don't think Eli Manning is going to fare very well. I think a big key in the Eagles win was that they jumped all over the Giants early and often, staking themselves to a lead and the Giants got away from the run. If we see a pass-happy Giants team again, the Eagles will probably win easily. If the Giants commit to the running game, Giants should be a slight favorite. I picked these two teams to meet in this round before the playoffs started. I picked the Giants because I don't see them getting away from the run.

I'm hopeful, but not confident about this game.
Feel the same way. Beating NYG twice at the Meadowlands sounds tough, but the way the iggz match up against the Giants is quite tasty. If Eli is forced to win the game, I'll be almost as giddy as I was yesterday when Tarvaris Jackson was in the same spot. And, if we can play NYG run as well as we played the MIN run (save one play), this may happen.

I don't think Eli Manning is going to fare very well. I think a big key in the Eagles win was that they jumped all over the Giants early and often, staking themselves to a lead and the Giants got away from the run. If we see a pass-happy Giants team again, the Eagles will probably win easily. If the Giants commit to the running game, Giants should be a slight favorite. I picked these two teams to meet in this round before the playoffs started. I picked the Giants because I don't see them getting away from the run.
I think it is unlikely that the Giants will get away from the run. In the last game Jacobs got hurt and hopefully the last few weeks off will ensure that he is fully healthy and can stay on the field. I think this ends up being a very close game.

There is no question that Eli is an upgrade over Tarvaris Jackson, but the absence of Plaxico Burress is HUGE, and not just in the passing game. His presence forced multiple defenders to pay attention to him, opening things up for the running game. His loss will have an impact. Also, the Eagles just overcame one of the toughest pass rushes I can recall in recent memory, even without Pat Williams in the lineup. Tuck and co. are good, but the Eagles have proven they can protect. The Vikings run D is also much better than New York's, as is evidenced by Westbrook's 200+ total yards in Week 14, the last time these 2 teams met. I'm not going to make a prediction, but you can't tell me you're convinced the Giants will win going away. It's going to be a hard fought game and the team that makes more mistakes will come up short. I'm rooting for the Eagles, obviously, to come out on top and believe they have a genuine chance to win.

Go Eagles!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Giants fan I would have rather seen Arizona than Philly. In week 14 the Gmen had very little to play for and Philly was a desperate team. The Gmen are well rested and won't make the same mistakes twice. Gmen win by 10.

As a Giants fan I would have rather seen Arizona than Philly. In week 14 the Gmen had very little to play for and Philly was a desperate team. The Gmen are well rested and won't make the same mistakes twice. Gmen win by 10.
As an Eagles fan, i would've rather seen Arizona too :coffee: As for r the week 14 matchup, i'll give you the fact that the Jacobs injury was HUGE, but the Giants didnt wrap up home field until week 16. SO, they definitely had more than a "little" to play for.

As an Eagles fan, i would've rather seen Arizona too :( As for r the week 14 matchup, i'll give you the fact that the Jacobs injury was HUGE, but the Giants didnt wrap up home field until week 16. SO, they definitely had more than a "little" to play for.
Yeah, really. To say the Giants didn't have much to play for is silly. For starters, just knocking Philly out of playoff contention would have been huge for the Giants, as Philly matches up as well with them as anyone in the league. THey also had Dallas the following week and didn't have home field sewn up yet.Truly ridiculous.

Hey Gints fans, what's the status of Jacobs? Is he back to 100% this week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gints fans, what's the status of Jacobs? Is he back to 100% this week?
He should be rested and ready to go. Tuck said on FOX Radio that he was very upbeat early after the Minnesota game and looks ready for the playoffs, FWIW.

FWIW, from this Giants' fan perspective, the thing that worry me most from the Giants side of things:

1. Special teams coverage. The Giants have been pretty ####ty here with the loss of Tyree not helping. Maybe not Minnesota ####ty, but pretty ####ty.

2. The loss of Burress. It's been mentioned by many including Dawkins, that Burress is not only a great receiving threat but he changes the way opposing defenses have to play the Giants which helps to open up the running game and other receiving options. I hope that Gilbride and the coaching staff have come up with a few new offensive wrinkles for the game.

3. The pass rush. I fear that the loss of depth in the DE position has caused Tuck and Kiwi to wear down over the coarse of the season, as has been evidenced by the decrease in sacks over the stretch run of the regular season. The great rotation at Strahan, Osi, Tuck and Kiwi last year helped to keep the rush fresh and ferocious through the playoffs. Hopefully, the bye week helped out here.

4. What happens if the game ends in a tie? :shrug:

Team rankings:

PassO RushO PtsO TDO PassD RushD PtsD TDD O Avg D Avg Tm AvgNew York Giants 11 2 3 5 7 16 5 10 5.25 9.50 7.38Philadelphia Eagles 15 21 6 13 4 3 4 6 13.75 4.25 9.00One of the two marquee games of the weekend. How do they match up?NYG rush O vs. PHI rush D: Strength versus strength. The Giants got to the playoffs thanks to their running game and the Eagles run D is really strong. This is one of those areas where you wonder how the bye affects things -- power running game off a bye against a team that just faced another great rushing attack. The Giants rushed for over 200 yards in one of the games but under 100 yards in the other game, so who knows what happens here. Giants are deep at RB and rested, so I'll give them the slight edge here. This matchup, along with the TEN rush O vs. Bal rush D and the SD pass O vs. Pit pass D will be the three matchups I'm most excited to see.

Phi rush O vs. NYG rush D: weakness vs. weakness here. The Giants run D isn't bad, but it's the weakest part of this #1 seed. The Eagles run O hasn't been great but they did hit 100 yards in both games against New York. Philadelphia has shown a new commitment to the running game, but they were shut down recently by the Ravens, Redskins and Vikings. Considering the Giants home field, I'll give them the slight edge here -- but this is the Eagles best chance to win this game. Pound the rock.

NYG pass O vs. Phi pass O: Oof. Giants passing offense isn't bad, but the last time Eli Manning played a playoff game at Giants Stadium he threw 3 INTs and the team was shut out. Manning had a career year in '08, but without Burress and in the windy Meadowlands, this has the potential to get ugly. Edge Philly.

Phi pass O vs. NYG pass D: Giants pass D is very underrated -- top ten in yards allowed, TD allowed and INT, and ranked 7th here. Eagles passing offense will be used to playing in the Meadowlands, but I wouldn't be excited for this matchup if I was Andy Reid. To the extent that the Eagles like passing, the Vikings in the dome was a much better matchup.

Final result? I don't think the Giants will be able to dictate this game the way they want to, by pounding the rock. They're going to see some third and longs and they're going to have some three and outs. Will Eli get rattled? The Eagles aren't going to have much success running or throwing: Will Reid abandon the run if Philly is down 10-0? More than most games, tempo and the early scores will be important. If the Giants get an early TD that gives them a big edge; the longer this is a game, the longer the Eagles can win this by sticking to the run.

I don't think the Birds can score 21 points. Can they hold NY under that? The key is to keep NY out of the end zone in the first quarter. I say a good chance this game is 10-10 in the 4th quarter, but I'll give the defending champs the benefit of the doubt, assume they come out of the tunnel hot, and take this one 24-13.

Well, I think any prediction of either team winning by more than 10 is silly, and 10 is quite a stretch. I can't remember the last time either team was dominating the other in a game. The last time I can was the one a few years ago when the Eagles were up by something like 21 by halftime, and then all of a sudden Eli comes out the second half on fire, game goes to OT and the Eagles lose. I think the game will be close, especially with the winds that come in NY there, and it will come down to who plays better in the 4th quarter.

I don't think the Birds can score 21 points.
Why not? They scored 31 and 20 pts in the first 2 games, 21 pts doesnt seem too farfetched..
I think the Giants will cover Brian Westbrook this time. Giants D was underrated going into the playoffs last year, too.
Sounds simple but I don't think there's any team that goes into a football game against the Eagles neglecting to plan for Westbrook. Westbrook's success has been a result of his playmaking ability not a lapse on the part of the defensive planning.

Here's the bottom line: if the Eagles show up, they're as good as anyone and can beat the Giants. Will they? Who knows. Either team is capable of winning. But if both teams bring their A-game, it'll be fun to watch :confused:

I don't think the Birds can score 21 points.
Why not? They scored 31 and 20 pts in the first 2 games, 21 pts doesnt seem too farfetched..
I think the Giants will cover Brian Westbrook this time. Giants D was underrated going into the playoffs last year, too.
I think you might be under-estimating the impact of the D/St's for Philly. The G-men are likely to struggle to move the ball too, and the Eagles return game has been solid. Figure D/St's to be worth 6-9 points on their own with short field/turnovers.The Philly OFFENSE might not score 20 (without significant field postion help)...but the team will, because I suspect they'll get that help.Philly 26, NYG 20

oof. betting on the birds this year has been a roller coaster ride. I'm staying very far away from this one.
:goodposting: The Eagles are 11-6 against the spread, one of the best bets this year.

ATS Record
see, this is what happens when they close down the internet sports books...i lose my edge :P Maybe its just rooting for this team that is the roller coaster ride. How have they been compared to past years ATS? I seem to remember them covering everything in the early '00s

Well, I think any prediction of either team winning by more than 10 is silly, and 10 is quite a stretch. I can't remember the last time either team was dominating the other in a game. The last time I can was the one a few years ago when the Eagles were up by something like 21 by halftime, and then all of a sudden Eli comes out the second half on fire, game goes to OT and the Eagles lose. I think the game will be close, especially with the winds that come in NY there, and it will come down to who plays better in the 4th quarter.
Just last year Osi Umenyiora rag dolled McNabb for an entire game in a Giants romp. A 10 point win by either team isn't a stretch. Now I tend to agree that this will be a tightly fought game but these two teams have shown a remarkable ability to capitalize on each others mistakes in the past. I'm predicting the game will be less than a TD margin of victory but both teams D can turn up enough pressure that with a 7 or 10 point lead they can put the game away with a turnover.

As others have mentioned, the loss of Burress in this game evens the playing field. Plax has consistently played well versus Philly and he's forced them to keep a safety back in support. Without Plax Philly gave the Giants deep passing game zero respect in week 14. This was evident in the long pass that Hixon dropped. Hixon started on the right side of the field and ran a deep post across the middle. The only guy back there was the Eagles CB (sorry I forget who it was) who was several strides behind. Philly dared NY to beat 'em deep and the Giants didn't deliver. Expect to see the same treatment, especially considering the havoc Dawkins has been wreaking playing close to the line in recent weeks. Part of the reason the Giants rushing attack has been so devastating was that teams couldn't stack the line since Burress would hurt 'em over the top. Now the Giants have to rush on brute strength. The good news for NY is that they've proven they can do this. They ran the ball down Carolina's throats in a must win. They ran well with their second stringer versus one of the league's better rush D's in week 17. Can they run on the Eagles? Yes. However might it will likely be a series of 2, 3 and 4 yard gains with larger ones mixed in. Philly's too good to simply allow NY to steamroll them on the ground.

Plax:Philly = Westbrook:NY As much of a pain as Plax is to the Birds, Westbrook has proven equally adept at killing the Giants. Philly called one of their best game plans I've seen in recent memory in the Week 14 win at the Meadowlands. They stressed the run in game conditions that required it. They isolated Pierce against Westbrook in coverage, a complete mismatch, and exploited it. Spags better have an answer for this as the Giants haven't shown they can stop it yet. Giants also have never been a strong defender of screens, something the Eagles run well.

I agree with the poster that felt Kiwanuka might be wearing down. Maybe it was going against a strong lineman in week 16 (Jordan Gross) but I hadn't seen him play a worse game as a D-Lineman for NY in his career. Gross dominated him. If Kiwi simpy rushes upfield all game long it will open up a nice seam for Westbrook or McNabb. He's going to have to play strong or Philly will gash him all game long.

NY will need to give Diehl help at times versus Trent Cole. But the guy that seems to have really come on for Philly is Clemons. He got hot right around the time Juqua Parker cooled off. Both Giants tackles will have their hands full but at least they won't have to fight crowd noise.

As many have indicated, the early lead will be a big factor in the game. This is the type of contest where one mistake can really put you behind the 8 ball. If you're down 4 and you give it away, you might be down 11 real fast and the complexion of the game changes dramatically.

The teams are so closely matched that coaching has the potential to make a big impact. Philly thoroughly outcoached NY in their last meeting. However Coughlin and Spag's had been doing real well prior to that. I'd love to see the Giants sprinkle in some passes to Bradshaw. He hasn't really been used much against Philly and I think he could have an impact. I hate the passes they keep calling to Hedgecock. He's not a natural receiver, drops half the balls thrown to him and for a fullback, seems pretty easy to tackle. Put the ball in the hands of a guy who can make people miss. Bradshaw has shown he can be effective this time of year. Philly likely won't spend much time devising schemes around stopping him.

I think the game ends 16-13 with a Giants win. I've got a ton of respect for Reid and co. but I feel the G-Men have been the consistently better team all season long and have proven their resilience. With an early forecast of 27 degrees that feels like 10 with the wind chill I think the team that can play better ball control will win the contest. The Eagles can play this style as evidenced by their week 14 win, but the Giants are better suited to do so. Don't underestimate Akers struggles in the Meadowlands too. The guy is a great kicker but for whatever reason gets the yips in NY.

Go Big Blue!!!!!

Emotion can play a big part in any playoff game,especially when two teams know each other like these two. When the Eagles won in week 14 it was the week the Burress mess hit the fan,with Pierce involved. I'm not making excuses for the Giants that day,the Eagles beat them pretyy soundly despite the score,but I think having that well behind them will make a difference. Pierce played a horrible game that day,tough enough to cover Westbrook without all the crap that was going on. I think The Giants will be better prepared mentally this time around and I give them a slight edge.

I am so pumped for this game. I feel like the Giants have been playing with house money since the final second of the Super Bowl last year and have treated this season that way. And they did more then I ever expected even given that. Never ever would have thought the #1 seed was possible.

But now, given the opponent, I will be disappointed if they don't win this game. Given the season that they had, the NFC Championship game is the proper forum for this team. Not to mention my dislike of all things Philly sports. Just can't take a loss to the Eagles in the playoffs.

The Beast must run over the second level and punish the secondary. Eli needs quick throws in the 5-7 yard range mixed with the occasional bomb to Hixon. The defense must must must put pressure on McNabb with the front 4. All the usual stuff.

Don't have a feel yet if it will be a close game or 10+. But it should be good. Go Big Blue.

houndirish said:
modogg said:
Just last year Osi Umenyiora rag dolled McNabb for an entire game in a Giants romp. A 10 point win by either team isn't a stretch. Now I tend to agree that this will be a tightly fought game but these two teams have shown a remarkable ability to capitalize on each others mistakes in the past. I'm predicting the game will be less than a TD margin of victory but both teams D can turn up enough pressure that with a 7 or 10 point lead they can put the game away with a turnover.
That was against a backup tackle. Tra Thomas is healthy. Unless you're predicting injuries to the Eagles OL, that's a bad example.

Users who are viewing this thread