What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PreGame - Chargers V Jets (1 Viewer)

I think the Chargers absolutely could win this game. If the Jets bring their A game SD probably won't win, but there are reasons to be optimistic if you're a Chargers fan. Rivers, Gates and Sproles should be the keys for SD, along with Floyd in the red zone. If SD wins, expect those guys to have big games. The Chargers run D has been improving, but I don't think it's much of a match for the Jets running game. It's a shame Jamal Williams and Kris Jenkins are missing this game. I think we'll see the Jets control the tempo of the game with the running game but will see some big throws to Braylon. Will he catch them? Who knows.As for SD, they'll obviously only go as far as their offense goes. I think their downfall will be: 1) being too one-dimensional. No, I don't think SD will run for much against the Jets, but without some sort of balance on offense I think what works against most of the league won't work against the Jets. That's also because of 2) the Chargers' deep passing game. SD has, IMO, the best passing offense in the NFL, and their ability to hit big plays is unreal. But I don't think that works against a pass defense that's head and shoulders above the rest of the league, and the Jets exotic blitz packages will get to Rivers while he waits for those plays to develop. The quick, timing based passing games and the powerful running games work best against the Jets, and the Chargers don't have either.
The Chargers absolutely could have won this game.

I think the Chargers absolutely could win this game. If the Jets bring their A game SD probably won't win, but there are reasons to be optimistic if you're a Chargers fan. Rivers, Gates and Sproles should be the keys for SD, along with Floyd in the red zone. If SD wins, expect those guys to have big games.

The Chargers run D has been improving, but I don't think it's much of a match for the Jets running game. It's a shame Jamal Williams and Kris Jenkins are missing this game. I think we'll see the Jets control the tempo of the game with the running game but will see some big throws to Braylon. Will he catch them? Who knows.

As for SD, they'll obviously only go as far as their offense goes. I think their downfall will be: 1) being too one-dimensional. No, I don't think SD will run for much against the Jets, but without some sort of balance on offense I think what works against most of the league won't work against the Jets. That's also because of 2) the Chargers' deep passing game. SD has, IMO, the best passing offense in the NFL, and their ability to hit big plays is unreal. But I don't think that works against a pass defense that's head and shoulders above the rest of the league, and the Jets exotic blitz packages will get to Rivers while he waits for those plays to develop. The quick, timing based passing games and the powerful running games work best against the Jets, and the Chargers don't have either.
The Chargers absolutely could should have won this game.
Fixed.F;ing Kaeding, f'ing Jackson's drops.

I'll give you Brees. Make it 253 yards per game....still 150+ better that the murderer's row of the little sisters of the poor. We might as well agree to disagree Chase in our optinion of the Jet's defense.
FWIW, I believe that a larger sample size (16) with a less relevant sample is a better indicator than a smaller sample size (4) that may be more relevant. I'm not saying we should just take the average of the larger sample, but rather a SOS-adjusted version of that. Even considering a slightly easier than average schedule, the numbers the Jets pass defense put up this season were incredible. But yes, we can agree to disagree. I'm predicting around 5.5 ANY/A for Rivers.
Rivers:40 pass attempts298 passing yards2 sacks15 sack yards lost2 INT1 TD298 -15 -2*45 +1*20 = 213 adjusted net yards42 pass plays= 5.1 ANY/A

IMO everything is setting up for a Jets upset tomorrow.

from chad millman's blog

The Jets have phenomenal pure numbers. Look at yards per play. They averaged 5.1 and gave up 4.3. San Diego averaged 5.9 and gave up 5.3, but that yards-gained number looks better than it is because it is all through the air. The Chargers gave up 4.4 yards per rush and gained just 3.3, while the Jets averaged 4.5 and gave up 2.8. They have an off-the-charts rushing advantage. That means the Jets should run all day long and the Chargers can't run, so how are they going to cover seven points? On paper the Jets are the better team, and when the better team on paper is getting seven points, that is an automatic take."
Not really an upset, IMO.
I'm taking the Jets today, but :ph34r: at this guy.When (if) a lucky-to-be 9 - 7 team beats a 13 - 3 team, on an 11-game win streak plays, and on the ROAD no less, with a rookie QB, that is the very definition of an upset. Just because YOU think the Jets will win, and whether or not they do, does not make you right about them not being the underdog here. The betting public, as well, shows that it would be an upset.

Stop trying to be so cute, Lhucks.
Not an upset.
Yes it was. Because they won does not negate that fact. The Jets were not favored today by any stretch.

I think the Chargers absolutely could win this game. If the Jets bring their A game SD probably won't win, but there are reasons to be optimistic if you're a Chargers fan. Rivers, Gates and Sproles should be the keys for SD, along with Floyd in the red zone. If SD wins, expect those guys to have big games.

The Chargers run D has been improving, but I don't think it's much of a match for the Jets running game. It's a shame Jamal Williams and Kris Jenkins are missing this game. I think we'll see the Jets control the tempo of the game with the running game but will see some big throws to Braylon. Will he catch them? Who knows.

As for SD, they'll obviously only go as far as their offense goes. I think their downfall will be: 1) being too one-dimensional. No, I don't think SD will run for much against the Jets, but without some sort of balance on offense I think what works against most of the league won't work against the Jets. That's also because of 2) the Chargers' deep passing game. SD has, IMO, the best passing offense in the NFL, and their ability to hit big plays is unreal. But I don't think that works against a pass defense that's head and shoulders above the rest of the league, and the Jets exotic blitz packages will get to Rivers while he waits for those plays to develop. The quick, timing based passing games and the powerful running games work best against the Jets, and the Chargers don't have either.
In Ryan's post game presser, he apologized to Jets fans for going soft in the 4th quarter because he decided to play clock management with a lead. Transalation: We wanted to eat clock, so we let them dink and dunk down the field on purpose. We went with a prevent, knowing they would score, but would run out of time. If we kept up our blitzing, they would have only put up 7 points. We were more worried about the big play. Sorry. :ph34r:

Fixed.

F;ing Kaeding, f'ing Jackson's drops.

If you want to do it based on matchups...

Chargers pass O vs. Jets pass D = push FAIL

Jets rush O vs. Chargers rush D = big edge, Jets

Chargers rush O vs. Jets rush D = big edge, Jets

Jets pass O vs. Chargers pass D = small edge, SD Fail
Corrected.
Not your best work, GB.
Better work than yours. The Jets defense wasn't that dominant. Any playoff team with a semi-clutch kicker and decent coach would have secured a victory yesterday.

Corrected.
Not your best work, GB.
Better work than yours. The Jets defense wasn't that dominant. Any playoff team with a semi-clutch kicker and decent coach would have secured a victory yesterday.
if ifs and buts were candy and nuts.....

Chargers -7.5, sure, name it. What's your sig bet?
I'll take that bet.If the Chargers win and cover, my sig will be...I'm clueless for believing the Jets had a chance of beating the Super Chargers and believing that Chase actually knew what he was talking about.If the Jets win or cover, your sig will be...Once again Phillip Rivers comes up short. Can we return the punk back to the barn in Raleigh and get Brees/Manning/BigBen back instead?Loser keeps the sig for one month.
Done!
:thumbup: why you're not more impressed by Rivers?I hate to apologize for QB's, but that guy's been MONEY every time I ever remember the game being on the line?
You can take the punk out of Raleigh, but you can't take coming up just short in big game games out of the punk. I understand that Keading and Norv, but a big time QB needs to show some composure when the rest of the team isn't.

Corrected.
Not your best work, GB.
:goodposting:

Congrats Jets fans. Very well played game.

As a Charger fan it's difficult to find much fault in Kaeding over the years, but he certainly finds some inopportune times to miss. I'm sure everything will get analyzed and over analyzed to death over this game but two things stand out to me. One of the best kickers in the game missed a couple of easy ones(again). The New York Jets are a very team.

I thought the Jets fans were a bit brash in this thread and the number of SD targets would win the day but in the end the Jets certainly backed up all the talk. Good luck vs Indy, I think you have a very good chance in that game as well.

Corrected.
Not your best work, GB.
I'm sure the two interceptions had nothing to do with the loss. Especially the one from his own endzone.

IMO everything is setting up for a Jets upset tomorrow. from chad millman's blog

The Jets have phenomenal pure numbers. Look at yards per play. They averaged 5.1 and gave up 4.3. San Diego averaged 5.9 and gave up 5.3, but that yards-gained number looks better than it is because it is all through the air. The Chargers gave up 4.4 yards per rush and gained just 3.3, while the Jets averaged 4.5 and gave up 2.8. They have an off-the-charts rushing advantage. That means the Jets should run all day long and the Chargers can't run, so how are they going to cover seven points? On paper the Jets are the better team, and when the better team on paper is getting seven points, that is an automatic take."
Not really an upset, IMO.
I'm taking the Jets today, but :lmao: at this guy.When (if) a lucky-to-be 9 - 7 team beats a 13 - 3 team, on an 11-game win streak plays, and on the ROAD no less, with a rookie QB, that is the very definition of an upset. Just because YOU think the Jets will win, and whether or not they do, does not make you right about them not being the underdog here. The betting public, as well, shows that it would be an upset.Stop trying to be so cute, Lhucks.
Not an upset.
:thumbup: :lol: Any way you cut it, when the other team is favored by 2 scores, it's an upset.

Fixed.F;ing Kaeding, f'ing Jackson's drops.
Maybe they should switch jobs. Can Kaeding catch? We already know that Jackson can kick.

Love Chase's analysis, but think he can over emphasize statistical analysis at times and miss the macro picture. The Jets defensive numbers and their strong running game are reasons why NY has a chance at pulling off the upset, but I disagree that those numbers alone make the Jets favorites. I think most neutral observers would agree that the Jets are really an 8-8 team who can beat anyone on any given day, while the Chargers have been one of the elite teams in the league for the past few years. All the defensive rankings in the world aren't going to take away from the fact that odds are against a .500 team with a rookie QB going on the road and beating a rested, 13-3 squad on an 11 game winning streak with a vastly superior roster talent wise.Sometimes it's just simple. Can the Jets pull it off on Sunday? Of course. Most likely, they lose by 2 TDs or more and om Monday we're all talking about how ridiculous it was to have expected a mediocre Jets team with a rookie QB to win multiple road playoff games.
Still think I'm overemphasizing statistical analysis?

Here are a couple of numbers that surpised me. Point differential.

SD- 134

NYJ- 112

The Jets are built to win in low scoring games with defense and ball control. SD puts up what, 30 PPG? But SD beats the Jets in point differntial by only 22 points over 16 games. Less than an average of 2 PPG. Now consider that SD won more games than NY.

Yeah, I think predicting a 2 TD+ margin of victory by SD is homer schtick. Sure do. :shrug: :goodposting:
Keep in mind the Jets got to add +37 of that to their total by beating a Bengals team that was laying down in week 17 (and don't give me the "they played their starters and tried to win" argument...their game plan was as vanilla as it gets...that was obvious).

But if this game is close, the advantage clearly goes to the Chargers. In games decided by 5 points or less:

Chargers 5-1

Jets 0-5

Factor in the fact that Rivers is about as clutch as clutch gets at the end of games combined with the Jets defense tendency to collapse at the end of close games, and the Chargers have a huge advantage if this goes down to the wire.
Records in non-close games:Chargers 8-2

Jets 10-2, or 8-2 if you want to throw out both regular season games against Indy and Cincy

In fact, the only difference between these two teams is their record in close games. So how important is that?

I looked at the NFL over the last fifteen seasons and saw how the playoff teams did in close games during the regular season. The best team was Pittsburgh 2004, who with a rookie Roethlisberger, went 6-0 in close games. The '08 Panthers and '00 Giants went 5-0 in close games, while the '08 Colts, '04 Falcons, '03 Panthers, '98 Cardinals, '96 Broncos and '95 Eagles all were five games over .500 in close games, too.

The '09 Jets are the worst team in the study in close games at 0-5. The '99 Cowboys went 0-4, and they were the only team four games under .500 that made the playoffs. The '08 Ravens, '08 Eagles, '92 Eagles, '08 Chargers and '95 49ers were three games under .500.

So no matchup will be as disparate as the Jets and Chargers this wekeend, where SD will be 4.5 games ahead of the Jets in close games (5-1 to 0.5); the closest matchup? Last year, SD vs. Indy, where the Colts were five games over .500 and the Chargers were three games under. SD won.

There have been 19 matchups between teams separated by 2.5 games (or 5 games over .500); the "good in close games" teams went 9-10. When the "good in close games" team was home, they went 8-5, although there we may have questions of whether we're comparing like teams in terms of ability.

Either way, I think the fact that the Chargers record in close games is close to meaningless, just like the Jets record in close games is close to meaningless. And I say this as a guy who plays with statistics a lot, not as a Jets fan. Once you throw out the close games, the Jets have, at worst, the same record as the Chargers. As a Jets fan, I think the Jets will win.
Jets won by 3 (although it was really a 10 point win that became a late 3 point win).Still, records is close games is a stat with almost no predictive success. I doubt this game will be remembered for long, and we'll go through this again next year. But if a team is 5-1 in close games, they're probably overrated, and if a team is 0-5 in close games, they're probably underrated. This was true this year, last year, and every other year in NFL history.

Congrats to the Jets. They played a great game, the defense really kept them in it in the first half when it could have gone sideways. Very well played. Lots of determination, smarts, and heart was on display by the team in Green. Good luck against the Colts.

Another sucky off season for us :shrug:

Love Chase's analysis, but think he can over emphasize statistical analysis at times and miss the macro picture. The Jets defensive numbers and their strong running game are reasons why NY has a chance at pulling off the upset, but I disagree that those numbers alone make the Jets favorites. I think most neutral observers would agree that the Jets are really an 8-8 team who can beat anyone on any given day, while the Chargers have been one of the elite teams in the league for the past few years. All the defensive rankings in the world aren't going to take away from the fact that odds are against a .500 team with a rookie QB going on the road and beating a rested, 13-3 squad on an 11 game winning streak with a vastly superior roster talent wise.Sometimes it's just simple. Can the Jets pull it off on Sunday? Of course. Most likely, they lose by 2 TDs or more and om Monday we're all talking about how ridiculous it was to have expected a mediocre Jets team with a rookie QB to win multiple road playoff games.
Yes. Always.

Jets won by 3 (although it was really a 10 point win that became a late 3 point win).Still, records is close games is a stat with almost no predictive success. I doubt this game will be remembered for long, and we'll go through this again next year. But if a team is 5-1 in close games, they're probably overrated, and if a team is 0-5 in close games, they're probably underrated. This was true this year, last year, and every other year in NFL history.
I am not gonna make excuses, but I will just say that if I had known that the Chargers would be so undisciplined, and that Nate Kaeding was gonna gag repeatedly, I wouldn't have predicted that the Chargers were more likely to win a close game. I mean, let's face it, the Jets defense was in collapse mode late, like so many other games this year, but Kaeding, SD's terrible special teams on the recovery attempt of the onside kick, and the Jets running game bailed them out. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not gonna make excuses, but I will just say that if I had known that the Chargers would be so undisciplined, and that Nate Kaeding was gonna gag repeatedly, I wouldn't have predicted that the Chargers were more likely to win a close game. I mean, let's face it, the Jets defense was in collapse mode late, like so many other games this year, but Kaeding, SD's terrible special teams on the recovery attempt of the onside kick, and the Jets running game bailed them out. :goodposting:
So you're saying the Jets were more prepared, more disciplined, stuck to their game plan and won the game? I agree, they were the better team, pretty simple.

So you're saying the Jets were more prepared, more disciplined, stuck to their game plan and won the game? I agree, they were the better team, pretty simple.
I didn't say that, but I would say that. The Jets, despite trailing for most of the game, took the will out of the Chargers by keeping it low scoring. When the Jets made it 7-3 in the 3rd quarter and then the Chargers did nothing on their next drive, I turned to my cousin and said, "The Jets are gonna win this game; the Chargers look completely out of synch now, and the Jets will wear them down." As someone who really didn't have a rooting interest, that was easy to see from an objective eye.

I wonder what the odds were that the most accurate FG kicker in NFL history, who had made 69 in a row from 40 yards or less, would go 0-2 from that range? Game was closer than I thought; the Chargers played their 2nd worst game of the season. Some of that had to do with the Jets defense. Some of it didn't. :blackdot:

Come on, the only accurate predictive model of a sporting even I have ever seen (predict wins/losses with spread) was done by a PhD in statistics from MIT using a neural network to predict the NCAA basketball tournament. He scrubbed hundreds of variables and tweaked it over a two year period. Amazingly, in the end, he lost money because he backed his gut over his model when Gonzaga beat Standord (he had an MBA from Stanford). Even he claimed an incredible amount of luck and pointed out that he should not have used it on single games. If I recall his goal was to bet evenly on all the games, but unfortunately only professionals can take the fan out of sports predictions. He went to work for a hedge fund shortly thereafter so I don't know what success he had after that year.Saying that something like this: Jets rush O >>>>>> Chargers rush OJets rush D >>>>> Chargers rush DJets pass D >>>>>>> Chargers pass DChargers pass O >>>>>>>>> Jets pass OIs predictive of a single binary event as complex as a sports game is like a 2 year old flinging poo and giggling when he finds a face in it.I certainly respect what footballguys does with their projections and you do quite well with most of your analyses here. It's cool, it's fun, and making money off of a hobby is everybody's dream. However, a single sporting event upset (I would consider an outcome against a +9 Vegas line an upset even though you don't) is not something you can accurately predict. At least not statistically or on a consistent basis.I certainly wish the Jets the best of luck, they matched up well and played a good game. The Chargers have a history of collapsing in the playoffs and football games are difficult to predict so I generally stay away from pre-game outcome based banter. I know I harrassed you a bit in the game thread, but regardless of the outcome your comments were pretty funny (yes, even now). You were obviously excited and in my experience being the underdog in those threads is generally more fun. I was more poking fun at that than I was trying to counter your viewpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take that bet.If the Chargers win and cover, my sig will be...I'm clueless for believing the Jets had a chance of beating the Super Chargers and believing that Chase actually knew what he was talking about.If the Jets win or cover, your sig will be...Once again Phillip Rivers comes up short. Can we return the punk back to the barn in Raleigh and get Brees/Manning/BigBen back instead?Loser keeps the sig for one month.
I hope this sig bet materializes?

I hope this sig bet materializes?
It did and he followed thru.

A fluky first INT, but Rivers 2nd was unforgivable. Kaeding's gotta be the goat, though. Again, Jets sure have something with getting kickers to miss in the playoffs, eh? Need to factor that "skill" into your analysis Chase!

And yeah, not the worst sig I might have had to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread