What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Game Observations (1 Viewer)

I thought you guys might be interested in this, rankings through the first 3 weeks of the preseason.

I'm happy my Saints are in at no. 11 in total defense.

Philly in at No. 2 in total offense I notice, which is interesting. I believe the Eagles being there is something, I know the Jets being there at no. 4 is nothing.

and the 2008 Detriot Lions were 8th in preseason defense.

I am sorry to have to tell you that preseason team stats are totally useless.
I realize that. I think my comment had to do more with Philly's offense than the Saints' defense.

I think Philly's going to have a better season and a much better offense.

The Saints' defense has suffered some major injuries; I think the only real gauge will be game one vs the Falcons.

Whos next up for Giants D'rell Scott?
Doubtful... probably Torain/Cox or they sign one of the couple of veteran names out there right now. McGahee, Turner or possibly bring back Jacobs he knows the system and would cost the veteran minimum wouldn't be a bad choice, he is also quoted as dying to be a Giant again.

Years ago I used to play in a college dynasty league. My inaugural first round pick out of Hargrave Military Academy was....

Andre Brown.

I thought he was the next Eddie George. It never quite came together for him in college though. He's just one of those guys who's constantly getting injured. You can call it bad luck, but it runs deeper than that. His body just doesn't agree with the game of football. Never has and never will.

I don't see how the Chargers are going to keep Ladarius Green off the field. He's too good a receiver.

Also, I think I'm going to move Anquan Boldin down a bit in my rankings. Marlon Moore and Quinton Patton both look very good, so Boldin isn't going to be the dominant WR1 in San Francisco by default.

Kaep 40 yard TD on his first pass to Patton
terrance williams led the nation in receiving yards for 2012 (1,800+)...

patton did for 2011-2012 combined...

he flashed developed ability in college to get off the jam and into his routes...

* thanx to those upthread for the ryan williams updates...

Last edited by a moderator:
Flynn owner and I don't even mind if Pryor win the starting job. It probably increases the chances that Flynn will be healthy and be able to cover Lucks bye in week 10. Really don't think any QB will last long behind Oakland's line.

Flynn owner and I don't even mind if Pryor win the starting job. It probably increases the chances that Flynn will be healthy and be able to cover Lucks bye in week 10. Really don't think any QB will last long behind Oakland's line.
I didn't know there was such a thing as a "Flynn owner".

unrelated, but interested to see if ryan williams does anything in ARI and improves his chance of making roster...
9/25 1TD at the half.
The stats don't show it but he is running hard with no hesitation, it may be too little to late but he is looking like a NFL back again.
Agreed. I said this about him last week as well. The sample size was super small (2 carries, 1 reception) but he made an eyebrow raising cut on his catch and run that he would not have been able to do if his knee was still a serious issue. He's still clearly talented but I doubt he'll every escape the injury bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't able to catch any of the games last night. I'm having a hard time trying decipher if everyone here is just in love with Lacy or if there really was something that points to this guy being worth his ADP. I've read all the excuses and they sound pretty bad to me.

Cobb and Nelson are out: Ok, didn't realize those guys played offensive line

Backup QB: See above.

One good run got called back from a hold: Some say it was the hold that opened up the hole. Others may be blinded by love.

It's the Seattle D: True, but I don't want my RB having negative yards on 8 carries even if they are playing against an all star team.

Can someone post something of value and actual insight? Only positive I've seen (which is a big positive) is that he was picking up pass blocks well. Vonta Leach is a great blocker as well, but I'm not drafting him. Don't tell me that he was a beast, etc. because no player that touches the ball 8 times and goes for negative yards is a beast.
All the above are valid comments. Given the right situation Lacy looks like he could be a star. However, the Packers aren't committed to running the ball. I'll be shocked if they have a RB gain 800 yards this season. They might "try" to run the ball at times, but their heart isn't in it. They know they are going to score points and win games by allowing Rogers to zip the ball all over the field. They aren't a physically dominating offense. They're finesse. To consistently run the ball in the NFL you have to have an offensive line that has the right demeanor. Green Bay doesn't have it. It starts with the front office and Green Bay brain trust. In order to run the ball you have to commit to assembling your offense around that commitment. It's not as easy as just drafting a talent at RB. It has to start with drafting fatties that play with attitude.
Just for the record, I think I was wrong about this.

I wasn't able to catch any of the games last night. I'm having a hard time trying decipher if everyone here is just in love with Lacy or if there really was something that points to this guy being worth his ADP. I've read all the excuses and they sound pretty bad to me.

Cobb and Nelson are out: Ok, didn't realize those guys played offensive line

Backup QB: See above.

One good run got called back from a hold: Some say it was the hold that opened up the hole. Others may be blinded by love.

It's the Seattle D: True, but I don't want my RB having negative yards on 8 carries even if they are playing against an all star team.

Can someone post something of value and actual insight? Only positive I've seen (which is a big positive) is that he was picking up pass blocks well. Vonta Leach is a great blocker as well, but I'm not drafting him. Don't tell me that he was a beast, etc. because no player that touches the ball 8 times and goes for negative yards is a beast.
All the above are valid comments. Given the right situation Lacy looks like he could be a star. However, the Packers aren't committed to running the ball. I'll be shocked if they have a RB gain 800 yards this season. They might "try" to run the ball at times, but their heart isn't in it. They know they are going to score points and win games by allowing Rogers to zip the ball all over the field. They aren't a physically dominating offense. They're finesse. To consistently run the ball in the NFL you have to have an offensive line that has the right demeanor. Green Bay doesn't have it. It starts with the front office and Green Bay brain trust. In order to run the ball you have to commit to assembling your offense around that commitment. It's not as easy as just drafting a talent at RB. It has to start with drafting fatties that play with attitude.
Just for the record, I think I was wrong about this.
Haha yeah and I'm glad I let the fine people in this thread convince me to trade for him before Week 1. I knew the Packers were going to try to be a heavy running team. They tried that last year, but it didn't work out. I was skeptical of them being able to get it going. Lacy looks great. Starks looks good too. Either both of those guys are really good (Starks wasn't last year) or that offensive line needs to be taken out for a nice steak dinner on a weekly basis.

Reasons to watch the Giants past the 1st quarter:

- Adrien Robinson - having a great camp, things are clicking for him. Might be worth a dynasty stash if things translate to the field.
[SIZE=9pt]Need to check in on Robinson after this first preseason game. I'm carrying him in a couple deeper PPR dynasty leagues. I tuned in to see what he looked like and it seems like they kept targeting Larry Donnell as the pass catching TE (I'm not sure if he was lined up in the backfield on his catches though), while Robinson stayed in to block. I didn't see every snap of his, but when he did release out for a pass he wasn't targeted much. It concerned me that Donnell got what seemed like a lot of looks over Robinson. I'm not sure if Donnell is just on the bubble and they are trying to see what he can do live or if they really like him better (role player) to be the pass catching TE and Robinson is the role player that blocks first and catches as a secondary option only. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Observations on Robinson though. He's huge! He looks like the biggest guy on the line. When you first see him line up line up in a WR/TE stance on the line, you think there is no way this big guy is going to be able to move (and at a fast pace). Then he gets off and you see how fluid and how surprisingly quick he is for a big man. He almost looks too big to be a TE at first, but his athleticism might just make up for that look.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Donnell lined up at FB a lot too, so they obviously view him as a guy they want to get on the field more in an H-back type role, so who's the sleeper here and will he eat into Robinson's chance to emerge? Can Robinson realistically emerge within all this? [/SIZE]
Larry Donnell???

Users who are viewing this thread