What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PUNK Music Draft - Now Ongoing post awesome punk songs thread (1 Viewer)

Blink headlined Warped in 2001ish. We were watching the Vandals I think when they mentioned Blink as the headliner and the crowd booed. Then we got scolded by the lead singer.  I get the whole sellout argument but its bs.  More power to em for making money. Downside is that something that felt like it just belonged to you now suddenly belongs to everyone.

Planning on drafting a song about this, actually. 
Dammit isn't their best song at all (no Barker yet), but it's the first song I remember hearing from them and it was 9th grade and the my "girlfriend" from 8th grade was now hanging out with the 11th graders and so it just hit me like a ton of bricks. I listened to that song on repeat. 

OK, I said I would do things a little differently so here it is.  I am doing this this on a personal level. If you dont like it, #### off. How is that for punk. 

I graduated high school in 1995 and that was the hey day for certain types of punk. It was also the second wave of the NYHC scene which I was heavily a part of  @Jaysus, sup. 

Anyway, before finding punk, I was a typical classic rock kid. I had gone to Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen and a Grateful Dead concert.   But we know those shows are very different than punk shows. 

My first punk show came a few years after discovering the genre. My uncle was an old LES punk from the late 70s. I asked him to take me into the city to see one of my favorite bands. He said sure and we went to Roseland on 52nd and Broadway. 

Swaying in the mass of people in the pit, I knew this is where I belonged. A 16 year old kid on Nov 19, 1994, a whole new world was in front of me. A voyage that would span a decade and a music that would last a lifetime for me. That show at the Roseland was Bad Religion, Supersuckers and Samiam (sorry Herb)

1.03, Bad Religion, American Jesus, Roseland, 1994

https://youtu.be/12kcpP-8jfM

I could have chosen Bad Religion at a different venue, but went with my first. At the other venue we had a very memorable 20 minute conversation with Jay Bentley. It was awesome that he talked with two stupid kids he didnt know. 

He asked me to pick for him.  

1.02 Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
"most influential bands of the past 20 years,"

"When it comes to having inestimable influence, Blink-182 might well be contemporary punk's version of the Beatles",

"ranked Blink the fourth of the "30 Most Influential Bands of the Past 30 Years," just behind Radiohead, Fugazi, and Nirvana"

"It's pretty simple: Blink-182 is the most important band of the '90s, **** jokes and all. Apart from the sound, Blink's ideology has been popularized […] their presence is everywhere."

"emerged as a touchstone, spawning more imitators than any American rock band since Nirvana."

Those are music critics but what do we know, I guess I made a horrendous pick  :shrug:

Also, I am just arguing in the good fun of the thread, not taking any of it personal 

"most influential bands of the past 20 years,"

"When it comes to having inestimable influence, Blink-182 might well be contemporary punk's version of the Beatles",

"ranked Blink the fourth of the "30 Most Influential Bands of the Past 30 Years," just behind Radiohead, Fugazi, and Nirvana"

"It's pretty simple: Blink-182 is the most important band of the '90s, **** jokes and all. Apart from the sound, Blink's ideology has been popularized […] their presence is everywhere."

"emerged as a touchstone, spawning more imitators than any American rock band since Nirvana."

Those are music critics but what do we know, I guess I made a horrendous pick  :shrug:

Also, I am just arguing in the good fun of the thread, not taking any of it personal 
You still make horrible pick. Arsehole.  

eta*  Wait until you see mine.  

Last edited by a moderator:
My 90s punk knowledge centers a lot around bands that feature marine biologists and such as lead singers, so I'm going to largely leave that era to the people who were part of it and hopefully chip in with earlier stuff that I checked out retroactively and more modern stuff...

1.05 - The Adverts - One Chord Wonders (1978)

My 90s punk knowledge centers a lot around bands that feature marine biologists and such as lead singers, so I'm going to largely leave that era to the people who were part of it and hopefully chip in with earlier stuff that I checked out retroactively and more modern stuff...

1.05 - The Adverts - One Chord Wonders (1978)
The wonders don't care/we don't give a damn 

somebody give me a bat signal when you need me to pick. feel free to skip me if I haven't answered within 30minutes. 

also- I have no idea what's going on here in terms of rules or whatevertm

so is this draft graded or something? is their scoring criteria, or what are the basic strategies here to draft well? pick songs before others would pick them? will be kind of funny if that is the case since a lot of punk is not mainstream. i am sure there will be some great picks not really recognized by all

so is this draft graded or something? is their scoring criteria, or what are the basic strategies here to draft well? pick songs before others would pick them? will be kind of funny if that is the case since a lot of punk is not mainstream. i am sure there will be some great picks not really recognized by all
Nah, mang. As with most of these drafts these days, there are no grades. Just draft what what you think is appropriate. That's what I'll do. Carry on.  

the music drafts at least have veered far away from those judging days, where we were all trying to get the objective best songs.

lately have been pretty much drafting favorite songs, and getting to hear everybody else's in an ever expanding spotify playlist. and eephus taking bolivian esoterica.

Users who are viewing this thread