What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (2 Viewers)

Cap hit in year one is $19M, so at least even less then the 5th year option for 2023, but of course a lot more to account for later.
It sounds great for this year, worrisome for next. 2024-2025 is the year Giants were supposed to do the Xavier McKinney/Dexter Lawrence extension. The common thought in the offseason is that if they hit the open market, they're gone. So basically Giants gonna have some cap hits in the future.
This is the way it works in the NFL ... How do you think other teams do it???
They are going to extend Dexter and the first 2 years of his contract will be friendly ... Mckinney will probably be frachised next year assuming he has a good season ... Franchise tag for Safties is not crazy prob like RBs ... and the cap goes up every year

In 3 years Jones will either be underpaid or the Giants will be able to get out of the contract with minimal cap hit

Look what shappening to the Eagles this year. They were all in this year and had the best roster in the NFL by a wide margin but look at the list of Free Agents that they have now ...
Theyll figure something out ... They are not going to be what they were this season but they will be competive

PlayerPos.2022 Team2023 TeamTypeSnapsAgeCurrent APY ▾Guarantees
Robert QuinnEDGEEaglesUFA35.9%33$14,000,000$30,000,000
Fletcher CoxIDLEaglesVoid64.5%33$14,000,000$14,000,000
Javon HargraveIDLEaglesUFA64.4%30$13,000,000$26,000,000
James BradberryCBEaglesUFA97.5%30$7,250,000$7,250,000
Isaac SeumaloLGEaglesUFA96.4%30$5,850,000$7,849,000
Andre DillardLTEaglesUFA3.1%28$3,092,903$12,371,612
Kyzir WhiteLBEaglesUFA76.3%27$3,000,000$3,000,000
Linval JosephIDLEaglesUFA17.1%35$2,187,500$250,000
Ndamukong SuhIDLEaglesUFA15.9%36$2,187,500$250,000
T.J. EdwardsLBEaglesUFA94.1%27$2,150,000$2,150,000
Boston ScottRBEaglesUFA14.4%28$1,750,000$1,100,000
Zach PascalWREaglesUFA28.7%29$1,500,000$1,500,000
Miles SandersRBEaglesUFA57.1%26$1,340,058$3,151,995
Brett KernPEaglesUFA6.2%37$1,120,000$0
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Jr.SEaglesUFA65.9%26$826,775$787,100
Tyree JacksonTEEaglesERFA2.9%26$755,100$25,200
Gardner MinshewQBEaglesUFA12.8%27$677,904$191,616
Marcus EppsSEaglesUFA99.1%27$672,189$168,756

Just three short years? That’s all?

Any comparison of the Giants and Eagles futures starts and ends with severely overpaid mediocre QB vs appropriately paid MVP level QB for a fraction more. Just in my neutral observer opinion, of course.
Any Comparison of Eagles and Giants QBs starts and ends with their supporting talent.
Jones on the Eagle wins the SB in 2022 ... Hurts on the Giants is standing on the unemployment line ... just like Bama
LOL, but we still have the best GM in the league for roster construction. Who is your WR1? WR2? Tight end? I wish you good luck and can't wait to revisit this with the more excuses for the Eagles success and the Giants lack thereof.
You forgot the Oline PFF # 30. NEW YORK GIANTS

LOL ! How do you think Hurts would do with the Giants WR1, WR2, TE and Oline???
Eagles had the Best WR1, WR2 and TE combo in the NFL. They also had the PFF #1. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES Oline in the NFL ... Quite a difference, wouldnt you agree?
Oh and Miles Sanders had a better season then Saquan Barkley ... we cant even win that f***ing RB edge!!!!!!!
Right. So why do you think the Giants will be any better than the Eagles this year, with all those deficiencies you mentioned? I agree, its a huge difference, and it starts at the top. Its not Jalen Hurts vs Daniel Jones. Its the Eagles vs the Giants, and as you just proved, we should be the superior team once again. No need to get into hypotheticals.
I said what I said.

Daniel Jones (beck) did not practice Wednesday.
Jones was knocked out of the Giants’ Week 5 loss to the Dolphins with a neck injury. He did not return to the game. Giants head coach Brian Daboll said Monday that the team is “optimistic” about Jones’ availability for Week 6 against the Bills. Expect the Giants to be careful with Jones, who has a history with neck injuries. Tyrod Taylor would start for New York if Jones is sidelined against Buffalo.

Not sure I've ever seen a team injury report, especially on the offensive side, as bad as the Giants is right now. It's really amazing.

Daniel Jones (neck) is out for Week 6 against the Bills.

Jones will miss at least one game after hurting his neck in Week 5 against the Dolphins. That means Tyrod Taylor will face his former team on Sunday Night Football. All of the Giants players outside Darren Waller become desperation fantasy options with Taylor under center. New York’s offensive line will struggle against Buffalo’s pass rush throughout this one.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports Giants QB Daniel Jones (neck) is considered a “long shot” to play in Week 7 against the Commanders.

Jones suffered the neck injury in the team’s Week 5 contest and subsequently missed Week 6, paving the way for another potential start for backup veteran quarterback Tyrod Taylor. Taylor was held to 6.4 intended air yards per pass attempt in Week 6, just ticks above Jones’ 6.3 value on the season, but did have completions of 31 and 27 yards to perimeter speedster Darius Slayton. Both passes were prototypical bread basket completions delivered on time and into coverage. It certainly seems as if the downfield abilities of this offense would be boosted, at least in the short term, with Taylor under center.

Every time I feel bad for this guy, I think of how he can afford a home in Manhattan, Lake George, and in Miami.

CJ Beatenhard, I can feel more for him.

Daniel Jones (neck) is out for Week 8 against the Jets.

Jones will miss a third game with his lingering neck injury, which is reportedly not like the injury that plagued him in 2021. Tyrod Taylor will remain under center for the Giants in their Week 8 matchup with a tough Jets defense that’s gotten healthier with D.J. Reed and Sauce Gardner clearing the league’s concussion protocol. Taylor is strictly a superflex option against the Jets.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Waller owners suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
The Giants are just trying their best to not look bad since they gave this lame QB a huge contract
I don’t know that playing him so everyone can see the huge mistake is the right path. Hiding him on the bench is probably a better idea.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Waller owners suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
The Giants are just trying their best to not look bad since they gave this lame QB a huge contract
I don’t know that playing him so everyone can see the huge mistake is the right path. Hiding him on the bench is probably a better idea.
That's probably what they are doing a little bit too haha... Taylor should always be the starter in this scenario. Daniel Jones might have an extended injury unless Taylor gets hurt. Than he will magically be healthy again lol

Here's what's going to happen.
Jones will sit one or two more weeks.
The offensive line will get healthy.
Barkley will stay healthy.Danny will lead the G-Men on a run to the playoffs.
All the haters will eat crow.
Book it.

Dr. Jesse Morse for some reason I dont understand gets some grief around here but he called DJ being out for the season potentially a few weeks ago based on that neck needing fusion and him being always "one hit away" from a multi week absence until that got resolved.

There no reason to rush Daniel Jones back the way Tyrod Taylor is playing. Giants signed him as a QB familiar with Daboll's offense who could keep the rather simple mechanics of the offense going, and in 2 games he's done that and more. I wouldn't sit Taylor unless he gets hurt/faceplants worse than Jones.

That's probably what they are doing a little bit too haha... Taylor should always be the starter in this scenario. Daniel Jones might have an extended injury unless Taylor gets hurt. Than he will magically be healthy again lol
Breaking News Daniel Jones is magically healthy again since Tyrod Taylor went to the hospital... can't make this stuff up

I’m trying to send a low end RB2 for Daniel Jones in SuperFlex after losing Kirk.

It’s not ideal but the waiver wire is barren and perhaps he can turn something around. Anything? Desperate times call for desperate plays.

I’m trying to send a low end RB2 for Daniel Jones in SuperFlex after losing Kirk.

It’s not ideal but the waiver wire is barren and perhaps he can turn something around. Anything? Desperate times call for desperate plays.
Kind of in the same boat but in a 14 team, 1 QB league. Nothing much on the wire and since KirK NEVER got hurt, I wasn't carrying a backup due to small rosters.

Kind of gross but don't want to mess with my team to trade for a QB since people think (know) I'm desperate. Maybe he can get some of that 2022 magic going

Same here Kirk was my starter and Stafford was the back up. Looking at adding DJ via WW. Other options are trash(Zack Wilson, Dobbs)

Maybe he can get some of that 2022 magic going
Hard to see it the way the team has shaped up this year, but the team also looked dead early on last year before picking it up. Possibly losing Waller hurts obviously, but it's not like he had better passing options last year. His value mainly comes from his legs, so hopefully he'll be doing that a lot more - the concern is whether he and the staff are reticent to have him run so much with the neck issue.

Maybe he can get some of that 2022 magic going
Hard to see it the way the team has shaped up this year, but the team also looked dead early on last year before picking it up. Possibly losing Waller hurts obviously, but it's not like he had better passing options last year. His value mainly comes from his legs, so hopefully he'll be doing that a lot more - the concern is whether he and the staff are reticent to have him run so much with the neck issue.
The QB strength of schedule 2022 vs 2023 is night and day.

Giants HC Brian Daboll said an MRI confirmed a torn ACL for QB Daniel Jones, ending his season.

The worst was confirmed for Jones and the Giants, as their down 2023 continues to only get worse. Fresh off signing a four-year, $160 million extension this offseason, Jones led the Giants to a 1-5 record this season while throwing for 909-2-6 and completing 67.5 percent of his passes. With Tyrod Taylor (ribs) out for at least three more games, the Giants will have to decide between Tommy DeVito, Matt Barkley, or a free agent off the street to start in Week 10 against the Cowboys. DeVito threw for 175-1-2 and could be the early favorite to start this week, although it doesn’t matter much as far as fantasy is concerned. The only player worth trusting on this offense is Saquon Barkley.

Giants HC Brian Daboll said an MRI confirmed a torn ACL for QB Daniel Jones, ending his season.

The worst was confirmed for Jones and the Giants, as their down 2023 continues to only get worse. Fresh off signing a four-year, $160 million extension this offseason, Jones led the Giants to a 1-5 record this season while throwing for 909-2-6 and completing 67.5 percent of his passes. With Tyrod Taylor (ribs) out for at least three more games, the Giants will have to decide between Tommy DeVito, Matt Barkley, or a free agent off the street to start in Week 10 against the Cowboys. DeVito threw for 175-1-2 and could be the early favorite to start this week, although it doesn’t matter much as far as fantasy is concerned. The only player worth trusting on this offense is Saquon Barkley.
I'm sort of shocked nobody has anything to say or comment on Jones

-first of all, he don't matter much in FF, that's what this tells me.
-second, not ma y regular NFL fans think much of him as a Quarterback in the NFL.
Most think the Giants made a mistake extending DJ.

....and his money is fully guaranteed next season.
The only way they trade him is to take on most of his money,which leaves them cash strapped to sign free agents.
I think they keep him for next year and with the POSSIBLE #1 pick take Marvin Harrison Jr,
then address the qb position in 2025
Or hope Jones flashes back to the second half of last season.

I'm sort of shocked nobody has anything to say or comment on Jones

-first of all, he don't matter much in FF, that's what this tells me.
-second, not ma y regular NFL fans think much of him as a Quarterback in the NFL.
Most think the Giants made a mistake extending DJ.
I think it's all of the above.

From a fantasy standpoint, he was basically nothing this year, so the loss probably isn't all that damaging at this point. In my SF league, I was hoping Jones would replace Richardson, but it is what it is these days with injured QBs. Going forward, he's a guy that never was a dynamic passer and relied so much on his legs. Have to wonder how he'll be able to maintain that value next year post-ACL. Perhaps Kyler Murray might be a good leading indicator.

From an NFL standpoint, yeah, I think most were not happy with the huge contract when they were playing hard ball with Saquon. But such is the way of the NFL - if you're a mediocre QB, you're going to get more money than you can imagine.

Last edited:
Oof this was a bad contract. Only way they can get out from this deal cap neutral for 2024 is to trade him for peanuts this offseason to a team willing to pay him ~$10 MM next year. That might be doable after the draft, once the QB musical chairs game ends and some teams are left standing.

ETA: the above only works if the Giants draft a starting QB for next year and beyond. They would have little to zero cap available to spend on a vet QB.

Annoyed w/ my Dynasty League issue - cannot move Jones to IR until he is actually placed on IR on NFL level. Need to make other moves!

Oof this was a bad contract. Only way they can get out from this deal cap neutral for 2024 is to trade him for peanuts this offseason to a team willing to pay him ~$10 MM next year. That might be doable after the draft, once the QB musical chairs game ends and some teams are left standing.

ETA: the above only works if the Giants draft a starting QB for next year and beyond. They would have little to zero cap available to spend on a vet QB.
The worst 2 things to happen to the Giants was winning that game vs a very overrated Vikings team in the playoffs + Coach Daboll getting Coach of the Year. Seems they were fugazis in the end.

Does Jones look like a starting QB? I think the Giants are stuck with him.

I think his cap number is way too high for him not to be on the team next year - I can see the Giants drafting a QB but keeping Jones as a bridge QB for the rookie

Giants GM Joe Schoen said Daniel Jones is expected to be the team’s starting quarterback once healthy.

Schoen was asked about whether or not the team would consider drafting a quarterback in 2024, to which Shoen replied, “We’re going to have to do something at quarterback.” Take what’s being said with a grain of salt, as these are all very premature conversations between a general manager and the media who are just trying to get through the rest of the season. Schoen saying Jones is expected to remain the starter once healthy feels like the obvious answer from a GM who recently gave Jones a four-year, $160 million extension. What’s being said in November and what happens in April could be very different. The Giants don’t have a legitimate path out of Jones’ contract next year, but could cut ties with him in 2025 — although it will come with a $22.210 million dead cap hit. Preparing for a future without Jones feels like a very realistic scenario for the Giants, who are likely to hold a top-five pick in next year’s draft.

Giants HC said there is no guarantee Daniel Jones (knee) will be ready for Week 1 of the 2024 season.
Daboll also said of Jones, “When he gets back, he’ll be the guy.” Jones suffered a torn ACL in November and has been working has way back from the injury ever since. Early reports of his recovery have been good, and Jones himself has said he hopes to be ready for training camp, so Daboll’s statement may have more to do with tempering expectations above all else. Despite signing a four-year, $160 million extension last offseason, Jones will have a lot to prove in 2024 after struggling mightily last season. The Giants have been rumored to have interest in a first-round quarterback in this year’s draft, and they can cut ties with Jones next offseason for a dead cap hit of $22.210 million. It would be a brutal hit should the team ultimately decide to cut Jones, but one that may be necessary if he’s no longer viewed as the franchise quarterback. Until Jones is able to play, we’d expect Drew Lock to see most of the first-team reps in OTAs and training camp.

All you need to know is the "Giants fans" who thought this was a great deal suddenly aren't posting anymore/got real quiet. compared to last year.

EDIT: It's unfathomable how badly the Giants FO bungled this up by giving Jones that contract. It cost them several FAs last year and it cost them Saquon (the spin being Saquon was somehow "washed" when he couldn't carry a horrible QB behind a Bottom 5 run blocking unit as he did the previous year). I'd absolutely look into trading up to #4 and grab a Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye if either of them drop.

Last edited:
All you need to know is the "Giants fans" who thought this was a great deal suddenly aren't posting anymore/got real quiet. compared to last year.

EDIT: It's unfathomable how badly the Giants FO bungled this up by giving Jones that contract. It cost them several FAs last year and it cost them Saquon (the spin being Saquon was somehow "washed" when he couldn't carry a horrible QB behind a Bottom 5 run blocking unit as he did the previous year). I'd absolutely look into trading up to #4 and grab a Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye if either of them drop.
Not really a bad contract.
I totally understand but this is the current day issue.
QBs get paid and if one doesn't live up to it, it costs and hurts the cap.

Theoretically the Giants will be ok because the rookie won't be too expensive but ideally is like Houston where they can spend freely for four years til the rookie QB makes his payday

I know Jones hasn't stayed healthy or been very good, but can we at least admit he's had one of the worst WR groups in the entire league? I mean other than Barkley, is anyone on that offense the last few years considered even AVERAGE at their position? Same reason I haven't completely quit on Young in Carolina is because he also had very little to work with last year. If Giants draft MH. Nabers, or Odunze and he's no better, then I'd say zero excuses and he's just awful and close the book on him. But until he gets a legit WR, I think he deserves another shot.

I know Jones hasn't stayed healthy or been very good, but can we at least admit he's had one of the worst WR groups in the entire league? I mean other than Barkley, is anyone on that offense the last few years considered even AVERAGE at their position? Same reason I haven't completely quit on Young in Carolina is because he also had very little to work with last year. If Giants draft MH. Nabers, or Odunze and he's no better, then I'd say zero excuses and he's just awful and close the book on him. But until he gets a legit WR, I think he deserves another shot.
I don’t think this matters much in the case of Jones. I always fall back on CJ Stroud and the Houston Texans from last year when people talk about young QBs and what they have to work with. Without the luxury of hindsight no one can tell me that they’d prefer to go into last year with what Stroud had to work with in comparison to Jones. What Stroud accomplished with that group is nothing short of remarkable. CJ had a lot of doubters and his skill position players going into last year were as follows:

RB Pierce (pretty good rookie year, terrible last year)

WR Collins (70 rec 900 yards 3 tds in his first two years combined coming into last year)

WR Dell (not many believers due to his size and being a rookie, fairly high draft pick)

WR who else? Noah Brown?

TE Shultz (the most decorated pass catcher on the team coming into this past year, solid in Dallas)

Compared to what Jones had in:

RB Barkley (clearly the best offensive weapon coming into last year out of all of the players I’ll list on either squad)

WRs Campbell, Slayton, Shepard, Robinson, and Hyatt (Campbell had 60/600/3 the year before, Slayton 45/700/2, Shepard averaged 60/700/4 his first 5 years in the league before being plagued by injuries the past couple, Robinson 43rd overall and Hyatt 73rd overall both fairly high picks though not the biggest guys) Not world beaters by any means but not exactly complete scrubs either.

TE Waller (the most decorated pass catcher on the team coming into this past year, very good in Las Vegas)

We’re coming up on Jones’ 6th year in the league now. The books already been written in my eyes. I’ll be surprised if he’s any better with a top rookie WR, especially after losing Barkley. What are the odds of a QB truly improving much after so many years starting in the league? I’m honestly curious as nothing comes to mind and I’m tired.

I don’t think this matters much in the case of Jones. I always fall back on CJ Stroud and the Houston Texans from last year when people talk about young QBs and what they have to work with. Without the luxury of hindsight no one can tell me that they’d prefer to go into last year with what Stroud had to work with in comparison to Jones. What Stroud accomplished with that group is nothing short of remarkable. CJ had a lot of doubters and his skill position players going into last year were as follows:

RB Pierce (pretty good rookie year, terrible last year)

WR Collins (70 rec 900 yards 3 tds in his first two years combined coming into last year)

WR Dell (not many believers due to his size and being a rookie, fairly high draft pick)

WR who else? Noah Brown?

TE Shultz (the most decorated pass catcher on the team coming into this past year, solid in Dallas)

Compared to what Jones had in:

RB Barkley (clearly the best offensive weapon coming into last year out of all of the players I’ll list on either squad)

WRs Campbell, Slayton, Shepard, Robinson, and Hyatt (Campbell had 60/600/3 the year before, Slayton 45/700/2, Shepard averaged 60/700/4 his first 5 years in the league before being plagued by injuries the past couple, Robinson 43rd overall and Hyatt 73rd overall both fairly high picks though not the biggest guys) Not world beaters by any means but not exactly complete scrubs either.

TE Waller (the most decorated pass catcher on the team coming into this past year, very good in Las Vegas)

We’re coming up on Jones’ 6th year in the league now. The books already been written in my eyes. I’ll be surprised if he’s any better with a top rookie WR, especially after losing Barkley. What are the odds of a QB truly improving much after so many years starting in the league? I’m honestly curious as nothing comes to mind and I’m tired.
Stroud played great ... much better than anyone expected. But Houstons oline also played very well in 2023 they were one of the top Pass blocking Olines in the NFL for most of the seasons Giants ranked 30th

Giants owner John Mara said he won’t stop GM Joe Schoen from drafting a quarterback.
While Mara said he wouldn’t stop the team from drafting a quarterback, he also added that he thinks Daniel Jones “is the real deal” and that he still has confidence in him. Jones crashed back to earth in 2023 after throwing for 3205-15-5 while adding another 120-708-7 on the ground. Just one year into a four-year, $160 million deal that he signed last offseason, Jones will need to prove he’s worth keeping on the roster beyond this season, as the team is set to take on a $41.605 million cap hit in 2025 if he’s on the roster. The Giants taking a shot on a quarterback at some point in the draft wouldn’t be surprising, but they’ve been committed to the idea of Jones as the starter in 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread