What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (1 Viewer)

Goff is indeed the starter. No doubt about that. If they get a better option on the team then that player will become the starter.

One stat I find interesting that PFF tracks is big time throws vs turnover worthy plays. Basically, a big time throw is a an accurate downfield throw into a tight window, whereas a turnover worthy play, is basically a play that had a greater than 50% chance of being a turnover. Think of it like TD/INT ratio, if WR/DB were irrelevant.

Anyway, when you compare actual TD/INT ratio, to BTT/TWP ratio, I think you can establish a little bit of who got really lucky or unlucky as a passer. I bring that up, because the 4 QBs who had the best luck in 2022 were:
1. Jared Goff -28
2. Daniel Jones -24
3. (tie) Matt Ryan -18, Tua Tagovailoa -18
For contrast the 4 least lucky were:
1. Kenny Pickett +8
2. Mac Jones +5
3. (tie) Mitch Trubisky +4, Davis Mills +4

Now this is just one metric, but I personally believe its a very telling one, one that would have me nervous about Daniel Jones, and probably Goff/Tua as well, while it would have me very optimistic for Kenny Pickett, and to a lesser extent Mac Jones.

For the sake of making a statement, if you gave me a choice of any of those 8 QBs going forward, I'd pick Mac Jones.

Regression to the mean is a very real thing, and Daniel Jones is a very strong candidate for it, even of the Giants upgrade the talent around him. Truthfully, I think he's more valuable for his legs than his arm.
cross posting from the Daniel Jones thread. This pours a little cold water on the Goff is our present and future qb theme imo. Lions probably don't expect to pick top 10 anytime soon, and they may take advantage of that to get a qb to sit a year behind Goff and then take over.

One interesting note is John Dorsey is a senior advisor for the Lions. His last year as GM in KC, he drafted Mahomes so he could sit a year behind Alex Smith.

One interesting note is John Dorsey is a senior advisor for the Lions. His last year as GM in KC, he drafted Mahomes so he could sit a year behind Alex Smith.

Not really sure how much pull Dorsey has. Been there for years, get the sense he’s struggling to have a voice (have also heard he’s respected but a bit erratic.) He rage quit last year and then the story quietly went dead with no explain. I think Brad has him in the collaborative effort but Holmes is his own dog.

Not really sure how much pull Dorsey has. Been there for years, get the sense he’s struggling to have a voice (have also heard he’s respected but a bit erratic.) He rage quit last year and then the story quietly went dead with no explain. I think Brad has him in the collaborative effort but Holmes is his own dog.
Oh I hadn’t heard the rage quit story. And of course Dorsey isn’t pulling any strings. Just thought it was an interesting angle. If Brad was considering that move, they have the guy in the building to talk it over with.

A top QB who gets the least respect. He had a very good season last year with over 4400 yards and 29 TDs. Fantasy wise he gets hurt because he has not scored a single TD in over 2 years and rushing yards he has only top 100 yards once in his career.

Goff should build on his season last year and have even a better year in 2023.

- second year under Ben Johnson's offense who feels like they left a lot of yardage on the field (Lions were still #2 in total yardage in NFL).
- offense line is every bit as strong as last season. Biggest concern is Ragnow, but he has been playing thru a hopelessly injured toe for a while now.
- loss of DJ Chark....but gained Marvin Jones. Jamo was basically a red shirt last season, and with a full camp under him, Lions will use him far more when he does return. Gibbs also provides a big threat new weapon who will see more action as a WR than as a RB. Montgomery will be a significant net positive in the passing yardage over what Jamaal provided in pass catching ability. And finally LaPorta is a huge upgrade in yardage over what they had at TE, especially after they got rid of Hock mid season.

Overall, I expect Goff's yardage to bump up to 4600 - 4800....TDs should also rise to the 32-36 range. A lot of Goff's TD were vultured by Williams who they used virtually exclusively inside the 2 last season. I see more play action passing at the goal line this year. Goff will put up top 5 fantasy numbers, and will probably go around QB10 - QB16. Best QB value in the draft.

Last edited:
A top QB who gets the least respect. He had a very good season last year with over 4400 yards and 29 TDs. Fantasy wise he gets hurt because he has not scored a single TD in over 2 years and rushing yards he has only top 100 yards once in his career.

- second year under Ben Johnson's offense who feels like they left a lot of yardage on the field (Lions were still #2 in total yardage in NFL).
- offense line is every bit as strong as last season. Biggest concern is Ragnow, but he has been playing thru a hopelessly injured toe for a while now.
- loss of DJ Chark....but gained Marvin Jones. Jamo was basically a red shirt last season, and with a full camp under him, Lions will use him far more when he does return. Gibbs also provides a big threat new weapon who will see more action as a WR than as a RB. Montgomery will be a significant net positive in the passing yardage over what Jamaal provided in pass catching ability. And finally LaPorta is a huge upgrade in yardage over what they had at TE, especially after they got rid of Hock mid season.

Overall, I expect Goff's yardage to bump up to 4600 - 4800....TDs should also rise to the 32-36 range. A lot of Goff's TD were vultured by Williams who they used virtually exclusively inside the 2 last season. I see more play action passing at the goal line this year. Goff will put up top 5 fantasy numbers, and will probably go around QB10 - QB16. Best QB value in the draft.

I don`t have the exact number but I heard that Goff had 8-9 completions last season where WRs got tackled inside the 1 and 2. That is why Williams had so many short TDs. Goffs could have easily had 5-6 more TD passes.

Last edited:

I don`t have the exact number but I heard that Goff had 8-9 completions last season where WRs got tackled inside the 1 and 2. That is why Williams had so many short TDs. Goffs could have easily had 5-6 more TD passes.

Half-true. The WRs were stopped on the one often (it was a running joke amongst ARSB, Kalif, et al.)

Goff had 16 TD passes inside the 5 - 2nd most in the league, one less than Mahomes. Ton of those went to the former UDFA TEs (Wright & Zylstra.)

The thing I’m having a hard time following here is why is he automatically going to have 400 more yards AND a career high in TDs. His PA are not likely to increase, I don’t think Ben Johnson is going fundamentally change their identity.

I don’t see the ADoT increasing in the first six weeks when we’re trying to integrate LaPorta & Gibbs, figuring out Monty’s role, and discovering if MJJ has anything left in the tank. You kind of know what you have in Reynolds, Raymond, Wright, Zylstra…not seeing any untapped upside there.

Jamo was very inconsistent in OTAs and minicamp, his best chemistry was with Sudfield. By reputation he’s a good route runner but he’s not where he’s supposed to be often enough; he and Jared are still working it out. Guys develop and repetition is the mother of mastery, maybe they get it together this summer.

After which Jamo goes away for a month (6 week suspension, he can rejoin team activities 2 weeks before he comes back)…so that’s either 4 or 5 weeks where he can’t be in the facility and will get no reps with Jared. Not sure it’s reasonable to think Jamo is going on a big run starting Week 7. Might get there eventually, he’s supremely talented, but we haven’t seen it yet.

Lot of moving parts to work out. Goff has become an efficient QB but he needs everything alongside him to make it work. A top 5 OL, an effective run game, receivers who are consistently where he expects them to be, an exceptionally creative OC. He’s not the guy who is going to make big time throws that make you jump out of your seat exclaiming how the heck did he fit that ball into that window.

All that’s not saying anything about the fact he had 24 turnover-worthy plays last season. He had 11 actual turnovers (Detroit had a league low 15 giveaways) and he rolls into the season on a historic streak - 324 pass attempts without an interception, 5th best of all time (the record is 404.) We’re all hoping that continues but it’s within the range of outcomes he’s been on a heater and will simply regress to the mean in 2023.

Half-true. The WRs were stopped on the one often (it was a running joke amongst ARSB, Kalif, et al.)

Goff had 16 TD passes inside the 5 - 2nd most in the league, one less than Mahomes. Ton of those went to the former UDFA TEs (Wright & Zylstra.)

The thing I’m having a hard time following here is why is he automatically going to have 400 more yards AND a career high in TDs. His PA are not likely to increase, I don’t think Ben Johnson is going fundamentally change their identity.

I don’t see the ADoT increasing in the first six weeks when we’re trying to integrate LaPorta & Gibbs, figuring out Monty’s role, and discovering if MJJ has anything left in the tank. You kind of know what you have in Reynolds, Raymond, Wright, Zylstra…not seeing any untapped upside there.

Jamo was very inconsistent in OTAs and minicamp, his best chemistry was with Sudfield. By reputation he’s a good route runner but he’s not where he’s supposed to be often enough; he and Jared are still working it out. Guys develop and repetition is the mother of mastery, maybe they get it together this summer.

After which Jamo goes away for a month (6 week suspension, he can rejoin team activities 2 weeks before he comes back)…so that’s either 4 or 5 weeks where he can’t be in the facility and will get no reps with Jared. Not sure it’s reasonable to think Jamo is going on a big run starting Week 7. Might get there eventually, he’s supremely talented, but we haven’t seen it yet.

Lot of moving parts to work out. Goff has become an efficient QB but he needs everything alongside him to make it work. A top 5 OL, an effective run game, receivers who are consistently where he expects them to be, an exceptionally creative OC. He’s not the guy who is going to make big time throws that make you jump out of your seat exclaiming how the heck did he fit that ball into that window.

All that’s not saying anything about the fact he had 24 turnover-worthy plays last season. He had 11 actual turnovers (Detroit had a league low 15 giveaways) and he rolls into the season on a historic streak - 324 pass attempts without an interception, 5th best of all time (the record is 404.) We’re all hoping that continues but it’s within the range of outcomes he’s been on a heater and will simply regress to the mean in 2023.

I don't expect the luck with his turnover streak to continue long....however, I see Goff working hard and very focused and dedicated. So his turnovers may go up a bit, but I see the offense progressing and being even more effective than last season. The entire team is loaded with people whose nose is to the grindstone putting in the work and doing everything it takes to be the best.

Expectations this evening?

25-32 and 2 TDish? 3 if I’m greedy? Maybe a pick?

I’m leaning towards starting him over Geno, because I see the Lions passing game as the center of their offensive focus and even with a gimpy or ruled out Kelce, they’re not going to be able to grind it out on the ground and hang with KC that way

Thoughts? And fairly quick ones at that?

I’m leaning towards starting him over Geno, because I see the Lions passing game as the center of their offensive focus and even with a gimpy or ruled out Kelce, they’re not going to be able to grind it out on the ground and hang with KC that way

I think the opposite and think the Lions will try to win by keeping Mahomes off the field. I'm expecting a big dose of Gibbs/Montgomery, and some chain movers to Amon-Ra. I'd go Geno over Goff personally.

Jared Goff completed 22-of-35 passes for 253 yards and a touchdown in the Lions’ 21-20, Week 1 win over the Chiefs.

With the Lions smothering the Chiefs’ undermanned, error-prone skill corps, Goff just had to play point and sustain drives for the Lions to pull off the narrow upset on the road. Goff, of course, was also the victim of some receiver errors, most notably a lost Marvin Jones fumble in the red zone. There was also some questionable Lions play-calling and a failure by Goff’s outside wideouts to complement Amon-Ra St. Brown’s inside game. It was not an overly positive night for the Lions’ offense, but this was also one of the toughest tests they will face all season. It did remain abundantly clear they need some sort of enhanced boundary presence. They will be hoping second-year pro Jameson Williams provides it when he returns from his six-game suspension. Goff has a potential shootout on his hands for Week 2 against the Seahawks.

I think the opposite and think the Lions will try to win by keeping Mahomes off the field. I'm expecting a big dose of Gibbs/Montgomery, and some chain movers to Amon-Ra. I'd go Geno over Goff personally.
Decent showing, but I’m glad I listened.

The classic game manager. Doesn't take chances. Makes the easy throws, but doesn't stretch the field. Dudes gotta take a handful of chances down the field to open up running game. This managing of game only works if the rest of your team is decent. It appears the Lions roster is decent now.

Jared Goff has etched his name in the NFL history books next to elite company, not throwing an interception across his last 10 starts and 359 pass attempts for the Detroit Lions.

Goff joins Bart Starr, Tom Brady, Milt Plum and Derek Carr as the only quarterbacks to go through 10 straight starts without an interception. And those 359 passes without a pick thrown sit third all-time in NFL history, with only Brady and Aaron Rodgers sporting longer streaks.

tied for 4th fastest to 25,000 passing yards
  1. Mahomes 83 games
  2. Stafford 90 games
  3. Marino 92 games
  4. P. Manning 97 games
  5. Warner 97 games
  6. Goff 97 games
  7. Rodgers 98 games

Sean McVay is fine and all but the Chiefs really blew their chance when the Bengals got to the Super Bowl. Revisionist history of course.

I've always been meh and not impressed with McVay despite the winning ways. Just seems like an a-hole and vindictive SOB. Not saying Akers deserves anything but he's clearly put enough on film to be given a shot somewhere. Goff did as well.

Goff is an above average NFL starter but McVay treated him like he was trash when he traded him. Good for Goff- #1 overall pick pedigree still can take you a bit far.

(4 pt /td)
  • 2021 Home Split: 193.48 in 9 games (21.51 PPG QB5)
  • 2021 Away Split: 105.84 in 8 games (13.23 PPG Q16)

• 2022 Home Split: 46.94 in 2 games (23.47 PPG QB4)
  • 2022 Away Split: 28.42 in 2 games (14.21 PPG Q20)

I’m not a gambler but if I were I’d want to know this.

Most profitable QB against the spread...

+ Since 2022: Jared Goff (15-6 ATS)
+ Since 2021: Jared Goff (24-11 ATS)
+ Since 2020: Jared Goff (32-19 ATS)
+ Since 2019: Jared Goff (42-24-1 ATS)
+ Since 2018: Jared Goff (51-33-2 ATS)
+ Since 2017: Jared Goff (60-40-2 ATS)

Most profitable QB against the spread...

+ Since 2022: Jared Goff (15-6 ATS)
+ Since 2021: Jared Goff (24-11 ATS)
I've seen similar stats about Dan Campbell, but this makes sense considering they have been joined at the hip since they've both been in Detroit. Even when they were losing, the games were close enough to produce a winning ATS record that is now over 68%.

Jared Goff threw three touchdown passes in the first half and ran for another score in the fourth quarter, lifting the Lions to a 42-24 victory over the winless Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

Detroit scored at least 27 points in consecutive first halves for the first time in franchise history and topped 20 points in a team-record 14th game in a row, despite missing receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown and running back Jahmyr Gibbs.

he's an autostart at home
  • WK 8 LV MNF
  • WK 11 CHI
  • WK 12 GB Thanksgiving
  • WK 15 DEN

Through 5 weeks, Goff has the highest QB grade per PFF.

He leads the league in both overall Offense grade of 90.6 and a passing grade of 88.6 amongst NFL starting QBs.

He has made 9 BTT (big time throws) and had only 3 TWP (turnover worthy plays.)

He ranks 6th in BTT and 2nd amongst starters for the lowest TWP %.

He leads the league in both overall Offense grade of 90.6 and a passing grade of 88.6 amongst NFL starting QBs.

He should be getting MVP talk. He's playing the best football of his life right now, even better than his Rams Super Bowl year.

He should be getting MVP talk. He's playing the best football of his life right now, even better than his Rams Super Bowl year.

I agree he’s playing at a high level. Less productive WRT counting stats but he is more efficient. The Ben Johnson offense suits him better than McVay’s.

MVP? I’m dubious. He won’t throw for 5K and he’s never come close to 40 TDs (career high is 32.) Unless they have a historically great W/L record I don’t think Goff for MVP will gain much traction.

Elite decision maker, great at ball fakes, adequate arm (his deep ball passing stats have improved over 2022 which was better than his 2021.) Has great chemistry with ARSB, LaPorta & Josh Reynolds.

In a league full of bad offenses it’s refreshing to see a team that is balanced and functional, not bc they have rare athletic ability but more so bc Ben Johnson is such a great communicator. He and Goff have a pretty cool synergy going on rn.

I agree he’s playing at a high level. Less productive WRT counting stats but he is more efficient. The Ben Johnson offense suits him better than McVay’s.

MVP? I’m dubious. He won’t throw for 5K and he’s never come close to 40 TDs (career high is 32.) Unless they have a historically great W/L record I don’t think Goff for MVP will gain much traction.

Elite decision maker, great at ball fakes, adequate arm (his deep ball passing stats have improved over 2022 which was better than his 2021.) Has great chemistry with ARSB, LaPorta & Josh Reynolds.

In a league full of bad offenses it’s refreshing to see a team that is balanced and functional, not bc they have rare athletic ability but more so bc Ben Johnson is such a great communicator. He and Goff have a pretty cool synergy going on rn.
Next Bears HC right there. ;)

Best Pass TD/INT ratio since start of last season
(min. 500 attempts)
  1. Jared Goff 3.8 (38/10)
  2. Patrick Mahomes 3.2 (51/16)
  3. Trevor Lawrence 3.0 (30/10)
  4. Geno Smith 2.9 35/12)J
  5. ustin Herbert 2.9 (32/11)

I so want to start him this week over lawrence, but the home/away splits see so different. I may still step off the cliff though.

I so want to start him this week over lawrence, but the home/away splits see so different. I may still step off the cliff though.

I’d sit him this week and next, smash start v Raiders on MNF

But I’ll be at the Ravens game so I might start him & Jamo on a lark (also have LaPorta, DET DT & told my league mates to send offers if you hold 5, 8, 11, 14, or 26.)

Yeah, I don't think he'll win MVP, his "fantasy" stats aren't conducive to it. I was just more saying he should be. In my opinion, nobody in the NFL at any position is playing better than Jared Goff through 5 weeks, and he even did it without his #1 WR for a game.

I think collectively the entire fan base of the franchise viewed Goff as the bridge QB throughout 2021.

He offered a sliver of hope in the last 6 games that year as the team went 3-3 whilst he forged an impressive connection with Amon-Ra. Then he reverted back to bad Jared in the following season’s 1-6 start. At that point it wasn’t just that he was turnover prone. Coach was 4-15-1 (.188) and the defense was historically bad (for a team which has a long history of bad defense.)

MCDC is now at .423 after winning 12/15 (6 of the last 7 road games.) The defense gave up only 20.2 PPG over the last 10 to end 2022, and with a talent infusion, is currently the 3rd best defense measured by DVOA (1st in rein defense.) The biggest transformation though has been #16.

24 TDs & only 3 interceptions over his past 14 games. Bridge QB is distant memory. He’s our quarterback and we love that he is a flawed hero. Three times he has thrown an interceptio this year, and each time he responded with a lengthy drive that resulting in a TD on the ensuing possession.

Very confident & comfortable quarterback rn. Pay the man.

He has definitely earned the right to be the Lions longterm answer at QB though it wasn't obvious that first year

Jared is definitely the Rodney Dangerfield of QBs. You would have been hard pressed to find even people in the local media wanted to extend Goff upto a week or so ago. The bridge QB narrative was the dominant theme, but it is finally changing.

Jared Goff balled out today
  • 30/44-353 Yards
  • 2 TDs
  • 13 straight games of 200+ passing, 2nd longest streak in NFL (Mahomes 23)
  • 15 straight games the offense has put up 20 or moe (longest streak in the NFL)
  • Lions improve to 5-1 and extend their lead in the NFC North
  • Detroit has won 13 of their last 16 games
  • EDIT: oh, and that is 7 wins in the last 8 road games
  • Up next - at BAL Week 7

Last edited:
Jared Goff balled out today
  • 30/44-353 Yards
  • 2 TDs
  • 13 straight games of 200+ passing, 2nd longest streak in NFL
  • 15 straight games the offense has put up 20 or moe (longest streak in the NFL
  • Lions improve to 5-1 and extend their lead in the NFC North
  • Detroit has won 13 of their last 16 games
  • Up next - at BAL Week 7
On the road no less!

Users who are viewing this thread