What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jordan Love, GB (3 Viewers)

Oof. Considering what they had at quarterback already and what they gave up to move to select Love....this has potential to be one of the bigger whiffs in awhile. I know, it is way too early....time will tell.

ESPN's Rob Demovsky said Packers backup QB Tim Boyle "would be more suited" than Jordan Love to start in 2021 if Aaron Rodgers is traded or retires this offseason. 

In other words, the Packers would be in bad spot if Rodgers isn't in green and yellow next season. Demovsky said "nothing [Love] has shown, at least publicly, would suggest" he's ready to replace Rodgers a year after the Packers inexplicably drafted Love in the first round. Packers beat writers have written extensively since last summer that Love is an erratic passer who appears over his head in Green Bay's offense. "Love has struggled with accuracy -- in the drill where quarterbacks throw to a stationary target (usually a net) and to players running routes on air (without a defender)," Demovsky said. He suggested the team's best course might be to trade Love, like the Patriots did with Jimmy Garoppolo when Tom Brady was unhappy about New England drafting his successor. That Love isn't locked in as Green Bay's starter post-Rodgers is an indictment of the entire organization. 

RELATED: 

Aaron Rodgers

, Tim Boyle

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jan 26, 2021, 10:39 AM ET

Exactly - maybe a team would give a conditional pick too but he did nothing to alleviate concerns about his ability.
Yea. Sunk cost at this point. If it makes Rodgers happy and you get 3 more years out of him you just eat it and move on. What an insane move by that GM though, good god. 

Yea. Sunk cost at this point. If it makes Rodgers happy and you get 3 more years out of him you just eat it and move on. What an insane move by that GM though, good god. 
They traded up for him too which makes it even better. We will find out years down the road who pushed for the pick. Just mind numbingly dumb.

Meh, I seem to recall 'not ready' reports about Aaron Rodgers over the 3 years he sat behind Favre. I could be wrong, but seems like much ado is being made about comments that could be intended to pacify Rodgers. 

lol at trading Jordan Love.  Some nfl journos are seriously starved for attention.  Even crazier is the idea Rodgers is unhappy or needs to be placated - the club has made him the highest paid player in football twice in the last decade, he's going to win another MVP playing for a team that's played in the conference championship two years in a row.  

lol at trading Jordan Love.  Some nfl journos are seriously starved for attention.  Even crazier is the idea Rodgers is unhappy or needs to be placated - the club has made him the highest paid player in football twice in the last decade, he's going to win another MVP playing for a team that's played in the conference championship two years in a row.  
😆

It's always entertaining to read peoples immediate reactions or in the moment thoughts and then several months go by and the guy you speak of decides he needs the national spotlight 3 hours prior to the Draft starting last week. 

👍.  Good stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ministry of Pain said:
😆

It's always entertaining to read peoples immediate reactions or in the moment thoughts and then several months go by and the guy you speak of decides he needs the national spotlight 3 hours prior to the Draft starting last week. 

👍.  Good stuff!
Yeah - its even more true now than it was back in January.  This is media-manufactured drama.

Yeah - its even more true now than it was back in January.  This is media-manufactured drama.
Double Down, I like it. I'm in the "he's thrown his last pass as a Green Bay Packer" but I applaud you and I will be sure to tip my cap if you prove right on all this. You know the team better than I do. 

What? Rodgers is telling teammates he isn’t coming back. Sure the media is running with it but they didn’t manufacture it.

It’s ok to be wrong on things, you were definitely off on his level of happiness. 
Sure he wants a new contract. It’s normal stuff. Shefter on the DP show this morning, essentially saying “yeah, I made it up.” 

There’s not a source

What? Rodgers is telling teammates he isn’t coming back. Sure the media is running with it but they didn’t manufacture it.

It’s ok to be wrong on things, you were definitely off on his level of happiness. 
I was 100% sure he was joking and you were missing it. Interesting.

Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said QB Jordan Love has "a long way to go" in his development. 

Packers officials have made no secret of their desire to retain Aaron Rodgers for at least the next season instead of turning to Love, 22, who has yet to play an NFL snap. Drafting Love in the first round of the 2020 draft proved a gaping wound in the team's relationship with their mercurial quarterback -- one that has festered for a year. Rodgers reportedly wants out of Green Bay, with the Broncos exploring trade possibilities for the 38 year old. “He’s got a long way to go,” Gutekunst said of Love. “But we’re ecstatic for his development. ... Obviously we think the world of Jordan and where he’s going to grow and develop." Love threw 52 touchdowns in his final two seasons as Utah State, completing 61 percent of his throws. He has a rushing component to his game: Love rushed 81 times (for a meager 175 yards) in his final collegiate season. Love displayed decent athleticism at the 2020 NFL Combine. He had a 76th percentile 40 yard dash and an 88th percentile burst score (along with a 37th percentile throw velocity). At best, Love would be a desperation late-round option in superflex and 2-QB fantasy formats if Rodgers were to depart Green Bay. 

RELATED: 

Aaron Rodgers

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 10, 2021, 10:23 AM ET

The fact this “long way to go” quote is making news today is just another part of the stupid anyway. Rip 4 words out of context from a press conference he gave 2 weeks ago and everyone loses their damn minds.  

The fact this “long way to go” quote is making news today is just another part of the stupid anyway. Rip 4 words out of context from a press conference he gave 2 weeks ago and everyone loses their damn minds.  

This. I read a tweet or article yesterday (may have been on The Athletic) that quoted several GMs on where Love ranked compared to this year's QB crop. Most had him 3rd. So when everyone this year was paying a top 10 pick and giving up 2 first rounders to get there, Gutekust got Love for the no. 26 overall pick. And if anyone is being totally honest, prior to last year Rodgers had 2 down years and there were questions whether he could work with a new coach and system. Drafting Rodger's eventual successor was a good move. Whether he succeeds or not is yet to be determined, but the reasoning was sound.

This. I read a tweet or article yesterday (may have been on The Athletic) that quoted several GMs on where Love ranked compared to this year's QB crop. Most had him 3rd. So when everyone this year was paying a top 10 pick and giving up 2 first rounders to get there, Gutekust got Love for the no. 26 overall pick. And if anyone is being totally honest, prior to last year Rodgers had 2 down years and there were questions whether he could work with a new coach and system. Drafting Rodger's eventual successor was a good move. Whether he succeeds or not is yet to be determined, but the reasoning was sound.
I’m looking forward to getting a look at him in preseason (I typically don’t watch any preseason, but might watch a little this summer.). If things go as expected and #12 can stay healthy (big if), we’ll see Love starting games in 2023. 

During one of my drafts I traded a 2022 2nd rd pick for the 3.02 and drafted Jordan Love (can draft vets on the waiver wire).  This is a devy league that combines devys and rookies and the league can draft 15 devys.  My pick should be late ( won league last year ) and the maximum devys are usually reached mid to mid-late 2nd.  So, a devy may or may not be available with my 2nd round pick in 2022.  I have a need for QB so I decided to roll the dice on Love.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports Packers QB Jordan Love showed "signs of progress" during the first week of OTAs.

It was in helmets and shorts against no pass rush and with players jogging at practice speed, but anyone watching could reportedly "notice the difference in the huddle" from Love's first year of offseason activities to 2021. “He’s had a year under his belt, he’s had time to watch and learn, so you can tell it’s a little bit different from what it was before," Aaron Jones added. Per Demovsky, Love found the throwing nets more often than he did last season (with far more zip) and completed 14-of-20 passes during 7-on-7 drills. It's a far cry from a regular season game, but it's still encouraging news after Love's rookie sessions at OTAs led to every beat reporter questioning his place in the league.

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

May 27, 2021, 8:49 AM ET

"It's a far cry from a regular season game, but it's still encouraging news after Love's rookie sessions at OTAs led to every beat reporter questioning his place in the league."
This seems like an odd comment since I don't recall a single beat writer "questioning Love's place in the league" last year, much less "every" one of them doing this. More importantly, the 2020 OTAs were virtual - no players attended OTAs last season - so it seemed like a very odd thing for Demovsky - a long time Packers beat writer - to say.  So I wasted 5 minutes to learn that this statement wasn't in Demovsky's tweet, nor was it in the linked article he wrote. 

This seems like an odd comment since I don't recall a single beat writer "questioning Love's place in the league" last year, much less "every" one of them doing this. More importantly, the 2020 OTAs were virtual - no players attended OTAs last season - so it seemed like a very odd thing for Demovsky - a long time Packers beat writer - to say.  So I wasted 5 minutes to learn that this statement wasn't in Demovsky's tweet, nor was it in the linked article he wrote. 
@CletiusMaximus - Rotoworld rebranded as NBC Sports Edge; however, they still have the same team that writes their own editorial blurbs to go along with the source material. In this case they added the “It's a far cry from a regular season game, but it's still encouraging news after Love's rookie sessions at OTAs led to every beat reporter questioning his place in the league” line.

Speaking Thursday, Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett lavished praise on second-year QB Jordan Love.

With Aaron Rodgers currently nowhere near the city of Green Bay, "praise Love SZN" has begun in earnest. “One of the bigger things with Jordan right now is just his confidence in the system,” Hackett said. “I think it’s just about being able to make the proper decisions, and understand it’s timing and accuracy. And all those things have definitely been better up to this point." Hackett is trying to praise Love, but it's actually not of the order you might expect. Some of the basic fundamentals of quarterback "definitely being better" need to be a given with a former first-round pick. Expect the coaching staff's Love praise to become steadily more over the top the longer Rodgers is away. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Jun 3, 2021, 3:37 PM ET

ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports Packers QB Jordan Love "has favored check-down practices" in offseason practices. 

With the unhappy Aaron Rodgers boycotting offseason activities, Love is slated to throw to Green Bay's top pass catchers this week during the team's mandatory minicamp. Demovsky said Love, the team's 2020 first round pick, "shouldn't have any reason not to take some more shots down the field" with Davante Adams, Marques Valdes-Scantling, and Allen Lazard in the fold this week. Love's check-down tendencies during OTAs may have been a result of the QB missing his best wideouts, or it may be an indication of how conservative Green Bay's offense would be without Rodgers this season. Aaron Jones could be the main beneficiary of an inexperienced quarterback constantly seeking the dump off. Love has a lot to prove over the next couple months -- or for as long as Rodgers refuses to return for a 17th season with the Packers. NBC Sports' Peter King reported Monday that Rodgers is "solid" on holding out. 

RELATED: 

Aaron Rodgers

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jun 8, 2021, 8:36 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread