What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kenny Pickett, PHI (1 Viewer)

I don't think KP is the guy, but we got to remember..

1) His O-LIne as improved as it is, still isn't all that great.

2) Pickett's still wet behind the ears and still can't lead a WR..

3) Canada is still his O-Coordinator..

4) This is probably the best D he will face..

I will wait and see how he responds next week. I fully expect a different KP and Steeler performance.

Kenny Pickett completed 31-of-46 passes for 232 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in the Steelers’ 30-7, Week 1 loss to the 49ers.

So much for Pickett’s perfect preseason. In what can only be called a “wake-up call” start, Pickett got dominated by the 49ers’ fearsome defense from start to finish, being lucky to escape with “only” two interceptions. To add insult to injury, one of his only big plays — a 26-yard Diontae Johnson catch-and-run — ended with Johnson writhing with a hamstring injury. Pickett was under siege, taking five sacks, but his decision-making was simply poor. As was the case last year, Pickett seemed to have Eli Manning syndrome where he was much better in the hurry-up offense. That’s not a sustainable way to play 60 minutes of football, however. Especially with Johnson likely to be sidelined, Pickett is looking like a nightmare play for Week 2 against a Browns defense that just erased Joe Burrow.

- Rotoworld

Hearing blurbs about a possible concussion or hit to the helmet/head very early in the game.
Can anyone verify this who watched the game?
Perhaps there is a good reason he looked shaky most of the afternoon besides outstanding defense by the 49'ers

He’s been very bad but the O line might even be worse. I can’t imagine that he has any confidence left. This is the reason why most Steelers fans hated the pick. They needed to fix the offensive line issue before bringing in the franchise QB. It’s not like Pickett was some type of can’t miss prospect to begin with. I think he’s ruined.

Kenny Pickett completed 15-of-30 passes for 222 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Steelers’ 26-22, Week 2 win over the Browns.

The box score doesn’t tell the whole story with Pickett, who led just three scoring drives consisting of a 71-yard touchdown to George Pickens on a slant and two field goals. The Pittsburgh defense won this one for the Steelers, generating four turnovers and scoring two defensive touchdowns. Either way, fantasy managers that bought into the preseason surge from this offense continue to be left waiting for any of it to transfer to the regular season, as Pickett and Matt Canada’s offense looked unresponsive for a second consecutive week. Pittsburgh now has a short week to prepare for a road matchup with the Raiders in Las Vegas.

- Rotoworld
Pickett was godawful in this game, constantly missing WRs and staring down throws before the pressure was an issue. He also appeared to get hurt in the 2nd quarter but stayed in.

He’s been very bad but the O line might even be worse. I can’t imagine that he has any confidence left. This is the reason why most Steelers fans hated the pick. They needed to fix the offensive line issue before bringing in the franchise QB. It’s not like Pickett was some type of can’t miss prospect to begin with. I think he’s ruined.
The O Line in Pittsburgh is unacceptable. I say that because it’s been an issue for several years. Since 2013, they’ve only selected two offensive lineman in the first two rounds of the NFL draft, absolute insanity. Everyone loved to hate on Big Ben, but it’s one of the reasons he declined the way he did. He got absolutely beat down every week for years. Although they are spending more this year finally, last year their ENTIRE STARTING LINE combined for only $13 million. It’s truly bizarre they would put a rookie behind this and say go win games champ.

Raiders D is widely regarded as the worst/bottom 3 in the league. The excuse Pittsburgh played some real good defenses is about to come to an abrupt end. Pittsburgh offense lays an egg this week, there is no where left to hide.

Tomlin has to make changes or it’ll be fans chanting his name instead of “fire Matt Canada”

Raiders D is widely regarded as the worst/bottom 3 in the league. The excuse Pittsburgh played some real good defenses is about to come to an abrupt end. Pittsburgh offense lays an egg this week, there is no where left to hide.

Tomlin has to make changes or it’ll be fans chanting his name instead of “fire Matt Canada”
Again, this is the only team without a 400 yard offensive game in the timeframe that Canada was hired into the role. That’s not on Pickett. That’s not on Najee. That’s not on the offensive line. That’s on Canada (and the head coach for sticking with him). Tomlin should be embarrassed that he has stuck with Canada for this long (especially in a sport where teams can turn it around pretty quickly).

Jordan Schultz reports Steelers offensive coordinator Matt Canada will have “a more prominent role working with QB Kenny Pickett” going forward.

It sounds like Schultz will be taking on some of the quarterback coach’s duties in addition to his offensive coordinator gig. Per Schultz, Canada will continue to call plays. Canada has been bemoaned by fans for his stagnant offense, so this may not be the news Steelers backers were hoping to read this morning. On the bright side, things can’t get worse for Pickett right now. He ranks last in the NFL in EPA per dropback and is averaging 4.7 adjusted yards per pass attempt. Something clearly needs to change in Pittsburgh, though putting more on Canada’s plate may not be the answer.

Jordan Schultz reports Steelers offensive coordinator Matt Canada will have “a more prominent role working with QB Kenny Pickett” going forward.

It sounds like Schultz will be taking on some of the quarterback coach’s duties in addition to his offensive coordinator gig. Per Schultz, Canada will continue to call plays. Canada has been bemoaned by fans for his stagnant offense, so this may not be the news Steelers backers were hoping to read this morning. On the bright side, things can’t get worse for Pickett right now. He ranks last in the NFL in EPA per dropback and is averaging 4.7 adjusted yards per pass attempt. Something clearly needs to change in Pittsburgh, though putting more on Canada’s plate may not be the answer.
Maybe Pickett can teach him how to OC.

Obviously hoping the injury isn’t serious but I think a week or two watching from the sidelines might not be a bad thing

Obviously hoping the injury isn’t serious but I think a week or two watching from the sidelines might not be a bad thing
Seems like an average QB. He can possibly improve his decision making but I don’t see the arm talent.

Hands are too small. That matters in the NFL. And yeah, his arm strength is on the weaker side of the scale. 2022 was an awful draft for QBs. Pitt reached for one out of necessity but he's playing himself out of the league at this rate.

How is watching another bad QB running terrible plays from an inept OC going to help?
Not sure but playing lousy and getting beaten up physically doesn’t seem to be helping
I'm in the camp that he just isn't a good QB, but nothing is going to help as long as Canada is calling the plays.

Seems like an average QB. He can possibly improve his decision making but I don’t see the arm talent.

Hands are too small. That matters in the NFL. And yeah, his arm strength is on the weaker side of the scale. 2022 was an awful draft for QBs. Pitt reached for one out of necessity but he's playing himself out of the league at this rate.
His biggest problems hasn’t been his hands or arm strength, it’s been accuracy and poor decision making. He also has been cursed with Matt Canada and a line that has not given him a running game or very good protection.

In other words it’s a perfect storm

His biggest problems hasn’t been his hands or arm strength, it’s been accuracy and poor decision making. He also has been cursed with Matt Canada and a line that has not given him a running game or very good protection.

In other words it’s a perfect storm

His arm strength is a big problem IMHO. His balls take forever to get from point A to point B and always seem just a little short or behind. Even on Austin 72yd TD last week -- which when they ran the same exact play this week, was picked off because it was a little shorter and Nelson knew the play because Canada is predictable.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Kenny Pickett’s (knee) injury is “not believed to be season-ending,” but he is expected to miss some time.

It’s good news for Pickett, who remained on the ground long after taking a hit in Week 4’s loss against the Texans. He will undergo an MRI to fully determine the severity of his injury. Still, Rapoport says the team does not believe his ACL was affected — although there was concern about his MCL and meniscus. We’ll know more about Pickett’s injury soon but expect Mitchell Trubisky to start in Week 5 against the Ravens.

Adam Schefter tweet

"Steelers’ QB Kenny Pickett is not expected to miss much if any time due to the knee injury that forced him to leave Sunday’s game, per sources. Pickett could try to push this week vs. Baltimore but the team also knows it has a bye the next week and could opt to rest him."

Great news here. KP needs every play that he can for development. Way too many 3 and outs. Time to build the offense one first down at a time.
Personal take, he's old for a 2nd year QB. Those extra years of seasoning in college haven't translated by the end of this season (canada or no canada), it's time to bring in his replacement. A below average starter is his ceiling. Hope KP proves me wrong.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said the team would not make changes in offensive play calling.
In other words, embattled offensive coordinator Matt Canada will continue calling plays for the NFL’s worst offense. Tomlin has offered some mild critiques of the Steelers offense — 31st in EPA per play this year — but has stopped short of scaling back Canada’s role. It’s hard to say if the Steelers offense will get worse if Kenny Pickett (knee) misses time. Tomlin said Pickett would practice Wednesday, though he seems iffy for Week 5 against Baltimore.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport says there “is not a lot of optimism” for Kenny Pickett (ribs) playing on a short week against the Titans.

Pickett was bounced from the Steelers’ Week 8 matchup against the Jaguars in the second quarter and didn’t return to the game. With a Thursday night matchup against the Titans now on tap, Rapoport said he “did not sense a lot of optimism” from the team regarding Pickett’s Week 9 availability. Backup Mitchell Trubisky threw for 138-1-2 in relief of Pickett, and would be off the fantasy radar outside of 2QB/superflex leagues.

Pickett, Trubisky, To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to.

Steelers aren't going anywhere with Pickett and nobody has him on their fantasy radar.

Kenny Pickett (ribs) said he plans to play on Thursday in the Steelers’ Week 9 game against the Titans.
Pickett was listed as limited on Monday’s estimated practice report, and will presumably be listed on Tuesday’s report. It’s worth noting this is Pickett speaking on his own readiness and not head coach Mike Tomlin, who could have different ideas in mind. However, Pickett did say he’s “playing for sure” when asked. We’ll see how he continues to progress throughout the week, but if Pickett thinks he can play, then there’s probably a good chance we see him come Thursday night.

Man was I wrong on this guy. This offseason I really thought he was going to be the QB sleeper of the year, dude never woke up....

Users who are viewing this thread