What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mitch Trubisky, BUF (1 Viewer)

FB sucks, but the “FB memories” thing isn’t too bad sometimes. Today’s memory was a sign I’d posted from when restaurants first opened back up that read, “During this Coronavirus outbreak, remember to remain at least 10 feet from others. If you’re wondering how far that is, picture a Bears wide receiver and then imagine where Trubisky actually threw the pass. That distance is about 10 feet.”

:lol:  

I bought shares of Mitch in fantasy - not sure why.  He doesn't pass the eye test and has nothing indicating greatness, but I had an open roster spot and snatched him up.  

The bright side is sitting behind a capable QB, his youth and the fact that he is an upgrade over an aging Roethlisberger.  If the Steelers are able to address their pass protection... he certainly is in a better spot than he was with the Bears.  This same optimism had me asking for Darnold as a throw-in on a deal last offseason... so, take that how you will!

TVT 0 N S T A said:
I bought shares of Mitch in fantasy - not sure why.  He doesn't pass the eye test and has nothing indicating greatness, but I had an open roster spot and snatched him up.  

The bright side is sitting behind a capable QB, his youth and the fact that he is an upgrade over an aging Roethlisberger.  If the Steelers are able to address their pass protection... he certainly is in a better spot than he was with the Bears.  This same optimism had me asking for Darnold as a throw-in on a deal last offseason... so, take that how you will!
I believe he was mishandled in Chicago.  Got his bearings in Buffalo and could be ready to be productive.  Not sure that is true, but it sounds good :)

I believe he was mishandled in Chicago.  Got his bearings in Buffalo and could be ready to be productive.  Not sure that is true, but it sounds good :)
Another glass of optimism for you and I.

FWIW, Trubisky was ranked ahead of Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson by Chris Simms.  I know a lot of people say Simms is a can't miss analyst for QBs.  If that is the case, the best is yet to come... 

I’ve traded for him in a superFlex league where I am screwed at QB. Traded away my ‘22 early 2nd rounder. A risk, but given the prices for actually getting your hands on a certified and productive starter, it’s a risk I was willing to take. 

I at least agree with the first part of your statement.  The Chicago coaching staff did not game plan to his strengths and tried to get him to do things he just couldn't do.  A creative OC can help him succeed to some extent.  I am not sure if PItt is the right place but it can't be worse.  My thoughts are they signed Trubisky and plan to draft Willis.  They can put in the offense for a mobile, athletic QB and let Willis sit for a year to learn it while Trubisky holds down the fort.  Whether it works or not is a different issue, but it at least makes sense to me as a direction to go for the Steelers.  

MITCHELL TRUBISKY QB, PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports that $12 million of Mitch Trubisky's two-year $26 million contract is tied to playing time and playoff incentives.

Trubisky begins seeing bonuses at 60% of the playing time. Breer uses this in his column to speculate that Kenny Pickett could be the starter sooner rather than later, as there's major incentive in Trubisky's deal to, well, not play Trubisky. While the Steelers aren't likely to start Pickett if he's just disastrous in camp, this all lines up in a way that suggests if the competition is close, the Steelers have reason to give the nod to the rookie. 

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

May 9, 2022, 3:25 PM ET

DK Pittsburgh Sports' Dale Lolley called Mitchell Trubisky "the clear No. 1 QB" during minicamp.

Mason Rudolph was the backup with rookie Kenny Pickett serving as the No. 3 quarterback. Lolley added, "It could be a glimpse into how things will be once the regular season begins, as well." Trubisky was brought in on a two-year, $26 million contract that is loaded with incentives based on playing time and playoff success. The contract is more than an average backup deal, though it doesn't exude confidence in the former first-round pick. This will be a battle to monitor throughout camp, though it's clear that Trubisky has the inside track to be the Week 1 starter. In a new offense with solid weapons to work with, Trubisky could return QB2 fantasy value for as long as he starts. 

RELATED: 

Mason Rudolph

, Kenny Pickett

SOURCE: DK Pittsburgh Sports

Jun 7, 2022, 4:12 PM ET

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly writes that the quarterback competition in Pittsburgh "will be more for show than substance" and that Mitch Trubisky has a significant head start.

The drumbeat from multiple beat writers out of Steelers camp is that Trubisky has pulled ahead as the favorite for the job. There's plenty of offseason left, but it at least seems clear at this point that Trubisky will enter training camp as the No. 1. Pittsburgh likely will see him as the safer of the two options if he and Kenny Pickett are the real contenders for the job. Trubisky's incentive-laden contract and history of playing like Mitch Trubisky point to Pickett taking over at some point. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 14, 2022, 2:45 PM ET

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here.  Nagy/Trubisky were oil & water.  For a young QB, having this type of relationship with your HC can't be a positive.  Nagy seemingly was mentored by Todd Haley not Andy Reid.

No guarantees of course, but I think there's some smoke here.  We'll see.

Tomlin doesn’t give a rats tail about contract incentives. He is giving these men an opportunity to compete. Trubisky is arguably in the best position of his career to succeed as a franchise QB.  If he wins the battle and elevates the offense, Tomlin isn’t going to disrespect Mitch and the rest of the team by benching their leader just to save some cash for the owners. 
Forget contract bonuses, comes down to who wins the competition and how they perform. 

I think most have checked out on Trubisky and lump him in with the long list of recent 2nd-chance flops like Darnold and Wentz. He's more intriguing to me than those kinds of guys because:

- Pittsburgh coaching staff is elite

- Plenty of weapons and a respectable run game

- Trubisky is a big dude who can run when the passing game isn't working

- Offense may be rejuvenated after propping up the corpse of Big Ben for several years

- Pittsburgh wins games, and winning makes everybody feel better about the quarterback

I'm cautiously optimistic about Trubisky's fantasy output this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I really like his chances to rebound and be an NFL starter, even if with a new team after this year. 

I think most have checked out on Trubisky and lump him in with the long list of recent 2nd-chance flops like Darnold and Wentz. He's more intriguing to me than those kinds of guys because:

- Pittsburgh coaching staff is elite

- Plenty of weapons and a respectable run game

- Trubisky is a big dude who can run when the passing game isn't working

- Offense may be rejuvenated after propping up the corpse of Big Ben for several years

- Pittsburgh wins games, and winning makes everybody feel better about the quarterback

I'm cautiously optimistic about Trubisky's fantasy output this year.
Agreed. But Pickett, and their apparent strong desire to grab a QB this year, provides enough reason for caution. 

NBC Sports' Peter King reports Mitch Trubisky has "basically been told" the job is his to lose.

What should also be noted is that King said rookie Kenny Pickett is currently taking third-team reps behind Trubisky and Mason Rudolph. This is prone to remain the same throughout training camp. It looks like the Steelers are choosing to go with the veteran experience for now. Trubisky enters 2022 after having backed up Josh Allen for the Bills last season. Prior to that, he made two playoff appearances with the Bears. Pickett will likely need the combination of poor play by Trubisky and a bad team record to even sniff playing time right now. Trubisky gives the Steelers a dual-threat element at the quarterback position as running has been his known strength.

RELATED: 

Kenny Pickett

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Jul 31, 2022, 12:35 PM ET

Mitch Trubisky completed 15-of-19 passes for 160 yards and a touchdown in Pittsburgh's 19-9 preseason win over Detroit.​

Trubisky took two sacks and led three different drives to field goals in a half of play, threading a few passes over the middle and connecting with Steven Sims for the game's lone touchdown. Trubisky certainly didn't do anything to lose the job tonight and should continue to be looked at as the starting quarterback for Pittsburgh, though Mike Tomlin would only coyly say he "might" have a starting quarterback after the game.
Aug 28, 2022, 7:42 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "all signs certainly point to" Mitchell Trubisky starting in Week 1.​

Reports had Kenny Pickett having a slow camp, but the rookie showed well in the preseason. He completed 29-of-36 passes for 261 yards and three scores. Rapoport also noted that it was "a matter of if, not when" Pickett gets his first start. Trubisky will open the year on a short leash. He doesn't project to hold much fantasy value in Week 1 versus the Bengals.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Aug 29, 2022, 2:23 PM ET

Mitch Trubisky completed 21-of-38 attempts for 194 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' 23-20, Week 1 win over the Bengals.

Trubisky took care of the ball on a day when Joe Burrow threw four interceptions and lost a fumble. Those turnovers allowed the Steelers to win the game, but they also needed two missed game-winning kicks by Evan McPherson before Trubisky was able to lead a game-winning drive of his own. Chris Boswell kicked the game-winner at the end of overtime. Trubisky only rushed three times for nine yards, so he wasn't able to put together a fantasy-relevant performance while playing from ahead in Week 1, despite a healthy 38 passing attempts. He'll be a weak QB2 option at homes against the Patriots in Week 2.
- NBCSportsEDGE

George Pickens is probably open just in case Mitch wants to throw one 18 yards downfield. Just sayin’.
He'd just throw it 20 yards over his head if he tried. Guy has the worst deep ball in history.

I know. I’m only holding Pickens in the hope Kenny Pickett eventually takes over.
No doubt. I traded up for Pickens in my dynasty just on his potential. Willing to wait a year or two for him to really emerge.

It's cold hearted, but whatever. I remember last year the Bears fans being assholes towards Andy Dalton. Have fun with 30 net passing yards Chicago now that you got what you wanted.

Mitch Trubisky completed 20-of-32 passes for 207 yards and zero touchdowns in the Steelers' 29-17, Week 3 loss to the Browns, adding two carries for seven additional yards and a touchdown.​

That comes out to 6.5 yards per attempt, a number that would have been far lower had George Pickens not made one of the literal greatest catches in NFL history for 36 yards in the first quarter. Trubisky avoided big mistakes on offense but remained largely allergic to chunk gains and chain-moving completions. With the game on the line in the fourth quarter, Trubisky oversaw three straight three-and-outs. His deep ball had no zip. With 10 days between now and Week 4 against the Jets, it would be the perfect time for the Steelers to make the move to Kenny Pickett, but there has thus far been zero indication they are considering it. If not, Trubisky will continue to be a drag on his pass catchers' fantasy value.
Sep 22, 2022, 11:31 PM ET

Put in Pickett already, Tomlin. Trubisky sucks as bad now as he did his rookie year. Guy has rocks in his head

I'm not saying Trubisky is the best option and I think if Pickett is mentally ready he should be starting , but Pittsburgh WRs sure didn't help out their QB this season. Some big drops by Johnson, Claypool and Pickens.
All the focus on Pickens great catch but little mention about Johnson drop that could have been a huge turning point had he made the catch. Along with the lack of effort to get set late in the game was a bad penalty.
Maybe they play better for Pickett?

I still can't believe the Bears took Trubisky 2nd overall.....over Mahomes and Watson. :wall:

It's a trainwreck watching Trubisky play. He's so inconsistent and throws a terrible deep ball. You become easier to defend when you can't get chunk plays.

That said, his WRs didn't help him much (but the Pickens grab was awesome)

Users who are viewing this thread