What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mitch Trubisky, BUF (4 Viewers)

ESPN's Todd McShay spoke with one personnel director who compared UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky to Aaron Rodgers coming out of Cal.
Yep. That happened. "The similarities: The quick release, the arm talent and the ability stay in balance while moving his feet," McShay writes, adding time went into Rodgers' development. First round quarterbacks aren't afforded that type of time anymore, but teams with established quarterbacks could be on the lookout in the first round in the hopes of planning for the future. Trubisky could be the first or the fourth quarterback off the board.

Source: ESPN 
Mar 22 - 10:29 AM

An area scout for an AFC team said of UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky, "There are times he looks like another Carson Wentz and then there are times he looks like Blaine Gabbert."

"He has starting qualities and he'll go early, but he better get better at seeing blitzes and throwing hot or he'll get eaten alive by the exotic packages they are throwing at quarterbacks these days," the scout said. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein comps Trubisky to Lions QB Matthew Stafford. And one personnel director who chatted with ESPN's Todd McShay made an even loftier comparison, to Aaron Rodgers when Rodgers entered the draft out of Cal.

Source: NFL.com 
Mar 25 - 4:00 PM

Tribusky probably gets picked high and busts. Kizer likely falls to the chiefs and andy reid will just fix his footwork and win a super bowl. 
Any of the four landing in kc probably becomes my top qb from this class.  Maybe Arizona too.  Situation and coaching will be key, even more than most years. 

Coaching will be key. I stand by my assertion that Trubisky is the best qb in this class. The class may not produce a perennial pro bowler I don't know but I really do think Trubisky will be the best.

however, that assumes all things are equal. If he goes to Cleveland or the Jets he may get thrust right in. He needs good coaching. Not sure those teams have it. If he can land in a place where he can sit for a year or two (KC, NO, AZ) that'd be amazing for his future. 

The Jets private workout with Mitch Trubisky on UNC's campus takes place on Thursday.

Trubisky and the Jets have been linked for months, so the selection at No. 6 would not be a surprise. However, the Jets might be the most tight-lipped organization in the NFL and selected a quarterback in the second round who never even touched the field. The Jets roster is currently worse than it was to start the 2016 season.

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter 
Mar 30 - 9:31 AM

Bills owner Terry Pegula and head coach Sean McDermott attended a private workout for UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky.

It is always noteworthy when an owner tags along for on-campus workouts, as you only need to go back to last year with Jeffrey Lurie to see the impact it might have on a decision. The Bills and Tyrod Taylor worked out a contract this offseason, but it is by no means a long term commitment. Quarterback is still in play at No. 10 overall.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 
Apr 10 - 10:55 AM

The Kansas City Chiefs hosted UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky on a pre-draft visit Friday.

The Chiefs are very much in play to select Alex Smith's heir in Round 1, though it doesn't appear likely that Trubisky will drop to their slot at No. 27 overall. That said, the odds are quite good that at least one of the Draft's top four quarterbacks (Clemson's Deshaun Watson, Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer and Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes being the others) will be there, so Kansas City is wise to do their due diligence if they're serious about acquiring their quarterback of the future later this month.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 
Apr 10 - 2:19 PM

Appearing on the Rotoworld Football Podcast, Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting passed along word that UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky reached out to the Bills for advice prior to declaring for the NFL draft.

This was prior to the Bills hiring Sean McDermott, but the Bills have been closely analyzing the quarterbacks during the entire process, to the point of the owner flying to campuses to watch private workouts. We think the Bills are the likeliest team to move up for a passer and Trubisky could be their top signal caller.

Source: Rotoworld 
Apr 19 - 11:17 AM

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson has heard from "adamant" evaluators over the last week that the Browns, 49ers, Bears and Bills are targeting UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky.
These are all usual suspects when it comes to Trubisky. Breaking them down, we would be surprised to see Trubisky at No. 1 to Cleveland, but No. 2 to the 49ers wouldn't completely shock -- though San Francisco is reportedly looking to trade down from No. 2. There has been less talk of Trubisky to the Bears and considerably more about Deshaun Watson to the Bills. Expect to hear plenty more adamant evaluators over the next week. Then, showtime.

Source: Yahoo Sports 
Apr 20 - 7:34 PM

ESPN's Jon Gruden Analyzes 2017 QB Draft Class

Excerpt:

Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina

"Do the 13 starts concern me? Yes, they do. I don't remember many quarterbacks with just 13 career starts. They didn't finish strong, either. They lost in the bowl game to Stanford. The Virginia Tech game was not good. They lost to Duke in a big game. I would have liked to see him stay (in school). But, he is talented, and he did get results. He had some really good moments - in Tallahassee against Florida State and bringing them back to beat Pitt. He's a dual-threat. I don't think people realize how athletic Trubisky is. He's still a big mystery to a lot of people. It will be very interesting to see how high he goes."

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, North Carolina QB Mitchell Trubisky is still "under serious consideration" by the Browns for the first overall pick in next week's draft.
There's little question that Texas A&M Myles Garrett is the most talented player in this year's draft, but the Browns need to weigh that against their need for a franchise quarterback. If the Browns pass on Trubisky with the first pick, it's unlikely he'd be available when they pick again at No. 12. The front office reportedly favors taking Trubisky first overall while the coaching staff is dead-set on Garrett. It will be fascinating to see this tug of war play out over the next five days.

Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
Apr 22 - 9:43 AM

if they burn the 1st overall pick on this guy, they're dumber than I thought. There's no way they can roll the dice on him at 1.01. Take Garret and try to find a QB later in the draft (or trade up from 1.12 ffs)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the 49ers are "strongly considering" taking a quarterback at No. 2 overall.

Evaluators seem split on who the actual top quarterback in this class is, but "those who know" coach Kyle Shanahan believe UNC's Mitchell Trubisky "would best fit" Shanahan's offense. The 49ers have also been mentioned as a team looking to trade down, so it's impossible to know for sure what these teams are thinking. After (we assume) Myles Garrett goes No. 1, the first round is up in the air.

Related: 49ers

Apr 24 - 9:42 AM

if they burn the 1st overall pick on this guy, they're dumber than I thought. There's no way they can roll the dice on him at 1.01. Take Garret and try to find a QB later in the draft (or trade up from 1.12 ffs)
And trading up from 1.12 for one of these QB prospects is not dumb???  None of these QB's should be taken in the first 16 picks.  A huge mistake for sure. 

And I still say any team who drafts one of these QB's early, like a Cleveland, or the Jets or 49ers or Bills will only suck in 2017 and end up having a top 5 pick for the 2018 draft, and have a great chance to get one of these 3-4-5 QB's who could be studs.

So as a local NC guy, I really don't remember Trubisky...what I mean by this, is that in the FB-starved area of Raleigh-Durham, the last great QB who was a household name was Rivers.  After that, they were PO'ed about the way Russell Wilson was shown the door, and there have been blips like Mike Glennon and Thad Lewis.  Where I am going with this is, I don't remember much hype (at all) around Trubisky.  Even the die-hards are like "I don't get it".  that gives me enough pause to wonder whether he is the next Blaine Gabbert.  Sure, "we" did not know about Carson Wentz, but I bet you the people in North (hell, maybe south) dakota did.  You know a good one when it is there.  Nothing is coming from local people that he is it.   Now, I am not naive enough to think that the masses can predict QB greatness, but I think having a little buzz is warranted.  At this rate, we are not talking a flyer; we are talking someone burning a high pick (or mortgaging the future on one).  Personally, with the talent coming out next year, and next year's crop of guys who "surprise" and hold the golden ticket of FA, he is a gamble at best.  I wish the guy the best, but I wouldn't want him for my team...a team that has been searching for a QB since Namath.

A scout speaking to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel said UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky has "a ceiling to be a solid starter like Alex Smith."

This isn't the first time we've heard this comp. "There’s a smaller variance between his floor and ceiling than Mahomes," the scout said. "He does some good things but doesn’t get me excited. If he hits he’s like from 10 to 20 among the quarterbacks. Him being a one-year wonder is problematic." Trubisky has also been compared to Kirk Cousins. "You’ve got to try with him," another scout said. "He’s the best of the bunch. You just wish he played more. The guy he played behind was terrible. Kind of a concern. As far as the physical gifts, he’s got everything. He’s got the poise, and he works hard." Trubisky is in play to go anywhere from No. 2 down -- and there's been talk, which we don't buy, that Cleveland is considering him at No. 1. "Can sling the ball but his feet get a little bit happy under pressure," a third scout said. "I don’t think he’s a quick mental processor. That’s going to take some time. I don’t know if guys will rall

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 
Apr 25 - 12:27 PM

NFL Network's Steve Wyche was told by a team source that the 49ers are interested in North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.
In addition to that, 49ers CEO Jed York talked about the importance of finding a star quarterback on Wednesday. "You need to get the best players, wherever they are, whatever you need to do, you need to find the best players," York told Wyche. "It's proven that if you don't have a superstar quarterback, you're probably not getting to the Super Bowl and you're probably not winning a Super Bowl." Whether San Francisco's interest in Trubisky is legitimate or a ploy to convince a team like Cleveland to pony up for a trade, we cannot say. We'll find out tomorrow night.

Apr 26 - 4:52 PM

ESPN’s Adam Schefter cited "very smart" sources who think the Browns will select UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky No. 1 overall instead of Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett.

"I continue to hear that Mitchell Trubisky is square in consideration and may turn out to be the No. 1 pick," Schefter said. "Now I know everyone thinks Myles Garrett’s going to be the pick, and I will not be surprised if that’s the case ... But I have got very smart, very well-connected people telling me over the last 24 hours that they think Trubisky’s going to be the No. 1 pick." This would be a true stunner. With the assumption that Cleveland would take Garrett in mind, we didn't understood why Cleveland would let it leak that they were considering taking Trubisky No. 1 overall, since that news would only serve to steal leverage in trade talks if and when they attempted to move up from No. 12. Those reports would begin to make sense if Cleveland actually intended to take Trubisky. Thursday night is going to be a wild ride.

Source: ESPN 
Apr 26 - 8:49 PM

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values Round 1

Excerpt:

Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB – First surprise, and it’s a doozy. Bears gave up a bunch to move up one spot and grab their quarterback of the future. As mentioned in the pre-draft write-up, Trubisky only has one year starting in college and ideally needs a year to develop. I would expect Mike Glennon to be the Bears starting quarterback in 2017 with Trubisky learning behind him. Obviously, that means Trubisky isn’t draft worthy in redraft leagues. For dynasty and keeper leagues, Trubisky has a high ceiling with his mobility, athletic ability and a NFL arm. He also has high bust potential. Trubisky could become a QB1 in Fantasy with the right develop and work on his mechanics or he could bust and never be worthy of a roster spot.

Bears traded up with the 49ers to select North Carolina QB Mitchell Trubisky with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Stunning. Owners of the No. 3 pick, Chicago surrendered this year's Nos. 3, 67 and 111 selections and a 2018 third-rounder to move up one spot. It means they faced intense competition. Trubisky (6’2/222) sat behind 2016 Packers camp arm Marquise Williams his first two seasons at UNC before taking the starting reigns as a redshirt junior last season and leading the Tar Heels to an 8-5 mark with school records in passing yards (3,748) and touchdowns (30). A plus athlete with 4.67 speed, Trubisky added five rushing TDs and is a legitimate scrambling threat. On tape, Trubisky impresses as a tough competitor with a quick release, but he showed a tendency to get squeamish when pressured and made only 13 college starts. The small sample makes him a frightening prospect. Nevertheless, Trubisky looks the part of a potential mid-range NFL starter with Ryan Tannehill-level tools. He'll compete with Mike Glennon for the Bears' starting job.

When I saw this I thought "of course the first comments I hear from cutler are about chicagos qb" but he's probably right. People already hate the pick, if the season is going downhill because the team can't win why put him in and further damage his reputation with the fans. Give him a shot with a clean slate next year. If they can't win because glennon is making bonehead moves then go to your backup. You never know though, I think people expect him to fail, no one considers the fact that maybe the bears were right to draft him. 

When I saw this I thought "of course the first comments I hear from cutler are about chicagos qb" but he's probably right. People already hate the pick, if the season is going downhill because the team can't win why put him in and further damage his reputation with the fans. Give him a shot with a clean slate next year. If they can't win because glennon is making bonehead moves then go to your backup. You never know though, I think people expect him to fail, no one considers the fact that maybe the bears were right to draft him. 
I've been seeing more and more excitement on Trubisky over the last week.  People are now over the draft and are focusing on the upcoming season.  Reports are coming out on how good he looks and how much scouts really liked him.  Apparently many scouts had him graded higher than any QB taken in the last 6 years or so.  As more details come out from how the draft really worked I think more people are happy with the pick.

The Trubisky hype train is picking up steam.

Haha.  Picking up right where Cutler left off.  Amazing!
Seriously?  You're going to pick on a rookie for a few mistakes early in training camp as if he's the only one that's ever done it?

I bet you'll never comment on one positive thing he does in training camp. 

Chicago Tribune believes the Bears have "made it clear" No. 2 overall pick Mitchell Trubisky is the "future, not the present."

Taking stock of Trubisky's camp thus far, beat writer Brad Biggs asked rhetorically: "Would you like (Trubisky) to be a little bigger than the 6-foot-3 at which he's generously listed? No question." Biggs did praise Trubisky's release and athleticism. A 23 year old (this month) who's made 13 starts since high school, Trubisky will begin the year on the pine behind Mike Glennon. Be that as it may, it's practically unheard of in this era for first-round quarterbacks not to make rookie starts.

Source:  Chicago Tribune

Aug 3 - 8:43 PM

Mitchell Trubisky completed 18-of-25 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' preseason opener.

Trubisky looked outstanding in his first NFL action. He consistently went through his reads quickly, navigated the pocket and passed with accuracy. After spoon-feeding him short throws to get his confidence up the Bears let him play more. He proceeded to make difficult throws on the run with precision. Despite it being a preseason game against the Broncos' second- and third-stringers, this was incredibly encouraging from this year's No. 2 overall pick.

Just watched the highlight video and it was pretty impressive for his first game.  All the reports from camp about him looking good rolling out and throwing look to be true.  Two great passes where he rolled out to his right and placed the ball well along the sideline.  His pocket presence looked really good.  Accuracy was good.  He's pretty quick on his feet which seemed to really help him in the pocket and give the WRs more time.

I look forward to seeing more of him and hope there won't be any digression.

Users who are viewing this thread