What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (9 Viewers)

eh i dunno if they were winning wouldn't hear about any of this, i mean i get it they're not, and it's not a good look assuming stories are accurate, but just seems like everyone's taking their shot when he's down

I heard from someone pretty well plugged in the dude is a total diva. Thank god we never drafted this guy in Philly as the media and fans wuld've seen right through him. If people thought it was bad when McNabb was here it sounds like Russ was way worse and couldn't brush stuff off.

Someone I recent talked to said he also tried to dictate personal in SEA including who his back Up QB was. Unconfirmed but also heard in the SB where he threw the INT against NE he went against what Carrol called in the huddle. Carrol being a players coach took the blame to protect Russ. This guy is such an overrated Diva. Up until recently I was always wondering why the offensive skilled players would leave SEA and have better success else where. Outside of DK Metcalf and maybe Tyler Lockett I can't name you one guy who did well not named Marshawn Lynch who was good with him offensively.

Sounds like SEA did the right thing though. He acted out of place and they told him to go pound sand and traded him

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Broncos QB Russell Wilson had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee this offseason.

The surgery will help fix an injury that had nagged Wilson the past few seasons. Wilson missed two games to a hamstring injury and concussion last year and five over the last two seasons after never missing a start. The Broncos have cleared Wilson to resume throwing and expect him to be fully healthy going into 2023. Wilson is expected to be ready for the start of Denver's OTAs.
SOURCE: NFL.com
Mar 24, 2023 at 7:02 PM ET

Step 1 accomplished. Ben DiNuuuuuucci gets a contract after trying out for the Broncos. There is only one way to pronounce his name BTW: https://youtu.be/h8o_ppcyvzk?t=11
Step 2 accomplished. DiNucci throws pick-6 to rookie LB on first day of minicamp, then gets roasted by head coach.

Payton said, "I told Ben — ‘You know DiNucci, [our owner Greg Penner] owns Walmart. If it doesn’t work out here, I’m sure there’s a greeting opportunity somewhere at one of his local stores.’

I think Payton might be one of the few coaches that might actually entertain the idea of trying to develop an UDFA QB. He did have a hand in the development of Tony Romo. That said, if he makes the team even as a 3rd stringer, it would be a major accomplishment for him.

Sports Illustrated’s Greg Bishop reports Broncos QB Russell Wilson used his no-trade clause to decline trades to the Eagles and Commanders in 2022.

Rumors the Eagles made a play at Wilson have been circulating since last March, when Wilson's QB coach said Wilson turned down Washington and an offer from Philly during the Combine. Wilson went on to set career lows under first-year coach Nathanial Hackett in Denver while an All-Pro season from Jalen Hurts led the Eagles to the Super Bowl. With Hackett fired, there's hope for a Wilson rebound under ex-Saints HC Sean Payton in Denver. Wilson underwent a knee scope after missing two games to injury last year and is expected to be ready for the start of OTAs.
RELATED:
SOURCE: 710 ESPN Seattle
Jun 2, 2023, 7:56 PM ET

Broncos HC Sean Payton said QB Russell Wilson and the rest of the starters will play Friday against Arizona.

When asked if the starters would play in the Broncos’ first preseason game Friday, head coach Sean Payton said, “I haven’t shelled it out yet, but they’re going to play. I haven’t figured out how many snaps.” This makes sense considering the new coaching regime and shortened preseason schedule, but anything more than a few drives for the starters would be a shock at this point in the offseason. Payton and OC Joe Lombardi reunited in Denver after spending five seasons together in New Orleans, during which time they ranked fifth or better in scoring in every season. The preseason repetitions are also likely to benefit quarterback Russell Wilson, who is coming off his worst statistical season as a professional and will now be asked to lead a new-look offense in 2023.

Guy just needs to establish a better floor going into this season. If he can do that, potential is there for higher ceilings season long.

My guess is that we'll see something in the middle.

Nothing as bad as last year, but not as good as peak Seahawks Russ.
Could certainly see Wilson being this year's Goff, as a guy coming off a crap season with some major long-term questions, but with the chance of being a solid enough low-end QB1.

Early look not so good
The fact he's a vet and having to play quite a chunk tonight tells you something.
This is going to get awkward if Denver loses 10 games this season
$85M Dead Cap hit next year if things don't work out
They are stuck with him for several years.

Early look not so good
The fact he's a vet and having to play quite a chunk tonight tells you something.
This is going to get awkward if Denver loses 10 games this season
$85M Dead Cap hit next year if things don't work out
They are stuck with him for several years.
He's playing a chunk because it's a new offensive system for Payton and he's never played in it. We saw Jeudy and other starters play a bit too.

I bet we'll see Russ and the starters play a full quarter plus next week before throttling it down in Preseason Week 3.

If you watched the game, the Oline didn't do him any favors and seemed under pressure the whole time. Had to scramble a lot or just couldn't make the best throws.

If you watched the game, the Oline didn't do him any favors and seemed under pressure the whole time. Had to scramble a lot or just couldn't make the best throws.

While the context is helpful, Russ was second worst in the league last year in converting pressure to sacks. Broncos signed two new starters in FA, but at RT (weakness for years) they’re counting on a guy with 6 career starts. Also drafted a C, and they have 16 OL bodies on the 90 man. They’re trying hard.

PFF bumped the OL up 10 spots from last year (22nd to 12th) based on their off-season moves. IDK man, seems like they may be overstating the Payton effect. If Javonte truly is back then having an effective run game will help immensely. But it’s hard to feel good about their offense rn bc ultimately so much depends on Wilson sucking less.

He's going to be incredibly difficult to slot in SF redrafts.

Between last season and Sean Payton probably a ton of variance in his ADP. I would be thrilled to get him as my QB3 but very nervous if he were my QB2.

The CBS writeup concludes that Denver fans should be encouraged. It's possible there might be some overreacting going on in here...

Wilson was 7/13 for 93 yards, 1 TD, 0 turnovers, and at least one incompletion was dropped. He was in for 4 drives. 1 went for a TD and 2 ended in missed FGs from 47 and 50 yards. Given it was his first live action in a new offense with some new teammates (notably OL), that doesn't seem bad IMO.

The most troubling thing is that the Cardinals had him under heavy pressure throughout. The Cardinals are not really known to have a strong pass rush...

I think people sometimes need to remember that in preseason games teams are typically working on execution of internal concepts. They really aren't game planning for their opponents they are trying to see how things they want to do in season look. They are testing concepts not making adjustments.

I expect most defenses to appear ahead of most offense in the preseason. I don't think anyone believes the Cardinals d-line is going to consistently generate pressure on opposing QBs.

People are going to kneejerk massively because football. That's why I keep making posts in the preseason games thread about X player being a bust immediately after 1 game drive. It's a reminder that we are going to need to see multiple (regular season) games to make a determination about players (in this case Russ and the Denver O) and realistically more because you need to see how Javonte/Perine look. Also.... is Russ feeling good after his offseason knee surgery and weight issues? We'll see.

As for most drafts, I see him going 14th round in 14-teamers... that the round you'd draft a Kicker/Defense in. If you want to roll the dice sure fine, it's not going to hurt you. But he wouldn't be the only QB I'd draft in a mock.

Last edited:
Any conclusions about Wilson's future are way premature. For now, at least, it's the O-line. But Payton seems confident "we'll be able to clean that up."

- On Friday night, in the team’s first preseason game against the Cardinals, Wilson was pressured more than any other quarterback in the entire NFL among players who had at least five passing attempts.

- On Wilson’s 20 snaps, he was pressured a whopping 64 percent of his drop backs. To make matters even worse for Denver’s pass protection, backup quarterback Jarrett Stidham had the third-highest pressure rate in the NFL at 59 percent.

- When asked if it was growing pains or missed assignments from the offensive line, Payton jumped in.

- “No, the assignments were fine,” the head coach made clear, following the team’s 14th training camp practice. “We just got leverage on a few plays and thin and got hurried a few too many times. We’ll be able to clean that up.”

Perennial QB1 until last year, with a historically inept coaching staff and extended loss of his RB and top 3 receivers. Future hall of fame offensive coach takes over. RB returns, plus a quality backup added. You're drafting Wilson as a backup, but the upside is clearly there.

Something about Russ just doesn't seem right. I can't put my finger on it. I drafted him everywhere last season because I believed. There were no doubt obstacles last year, but Russ didn't look right on the field. Played scared and lots of poor decisions. Hackett is a weirdo, so I would be willing to write last season off as well considering what I've seen with my own eyes from Russ in the past. However, I am afraid the little glimpses I saw this pre-season were eerily similar to what I observed most of last year. I am out on Denver as a whole until I see it change on the field. I was hoping this preseason they came out and looked great, but from my POV it more of the exact same. Not saying it can't happen, but my money feels safer elsewhere.

Something about Russ just doesn't seem right. I can't put my finger on it. I drafted him everywhere last season because I believed. There were no doubt obstacles last year, but Russ didn't look right on the field. Played scared and lots of poor decisions. Hackett is a weirdo, so I would be willing to write last season off as well considering what I've seen with my own eyes from Russ in the past. However, I am afraid the little glimpses I saw this pre-season were eerily similar to what I observed most of last year. I am out on Denver as a whole until I see it change on the field. I was hoping this preseason they came out and looked great, but from my POV it more of the exact same. Not saying it can't happen, but my money feels safer elsewhere.
He was playing hurt a good part of the season and kinda overweight... he came into camp in much better shape and in a much better place mentally now that his coaching staff isn't trying to get him killed. I trust Sean Payton to get the team in the best shape possible on offense, and it's not like he hasn't worked with aging QBs before. The big thing is Russ is healthy enough with his legs to actually take off when the pressure collapses the pocket, and his line should be much improved. I'm comfortable taking him at his 180 ADP and pairing him with a young upside QB

Something about Russ just doesn't seem right
It's not a crazy thought that Payton won't be a genius without Brees, and Wilson isn't a stud without Carroll.
It's not a crazy thought that Sean Payton improving the Saints' record from 3-13 to 10-6 in his very first year had more to do with an entire 53-man team being well-coached than just having Drew Brees at QB.

It's not a crazy thought that even Patrick Mahomes would have had his worst year as a professional last year if coached by a fired rookie hack that had to hire a "game management" consultant after his first two games.

Last edited:
not worried about preseason doesn't mean much to me, cautiously optimistic that things will get turned around. Jeudy getting hurt is not great as I think they need to get off to a good, or at least decent start.

Users who are viewing this thread