What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (3 Viewers)

Starting Cutler vs IND over him, and also over Vick in week 1. Still like the guy, but I need real proof.
There have only been a handful of rookie QBs who were ever fantasy relevant. Wilson is barely rosterable, let alone startable.
YOu see him finishing below QB25 (barely roster-able in a 10-12 team league? I'd love to see what you've got him down for statistically for the year.... :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting Cutler vs IND over him, and also over Vick in week 1. Still like the guy, but I need real proof.
There have only been a handful of rookie QBs who were ever fantasy relevant. Wilson is barely rosterable, let alone startable.
The rushing is the key. If he can do what Andy Dalton (3400/20) did last year, but with 500/5 on the ground, he's a top 10 QB.
Number of rookie QBs who've had 3400/20 seasons since 1970: 3Number of rookie QBs who've had 500/5 seasons since 1970: 2

Number of rookie QBs who have done both: 1

So you're banking on Wilson doing what only 1 other rookie QB in the history of the game has done (and even then he'd only be the 11th best fantasy QB).

Sorry, I just don't see it. Wilson might be OK, but he's not Cam Newton 2.0.
The number of QBs who can throw and pass effectively (except maybe Steve Young) have all been recent

: Vick, Tebow, now Locker and Wilson and Griffin are all on the horizon. 225 yards passing, 50 yards rushing, a TD running, a TD passing, say an INT and perhaps a couple sacks and you're right around 20 FF points.Even a guy like Joe Webb: played most but not all of a game vs Detroit last year, he put up something like 25 FF points. Wilson will be better than Joe Webb, I feel safe about that.

From a FF perspective this combo seems like money to me.
Uh, no.

'%26%2391%3Bicon%26%2393%3B said:
YOu see him finishing below QB25 (barely roster-able in a 10-12 team league? I'd love to see what you've got him down for statistically for the year.... :popcorn:
:shrug: Okay, fine.Somewhere around 3300 passing yards, 16 pass TDs, 16 INTs, 300 rush yards, and 4 rush TDs. About 240 fantasy points, putting him around 17th-20th in most leagues.And that's assuming he starts all 16 games, which I don't think will happen.

This bandwagon is clearing out fast.
It was entertaining display of a lack of football knowledge. Anyone actually start this overhyped clown? I mean if you can't do anything against Ari, yuo should be watching with a headset and clipboard. This may become my 2012 Tebow thread.

From what little I have seen on RZ, it looks like the hawks are playing pretty conservatively with him in the 1st half. I did start him in 1 league; don't know which is more disconcerting, the fluttering deep balls or my own stupidity :thumbdown:

From what little I have seen on RZ, it looks like the hawks are playing pretty conservatively with him in the 1st half. I did start him in 1 league; don't know which is more disconcerting, the fluttering deep balls or my own stupidity :thumbdown:
Fortunately for you, Sidney Rice is 7'-8" and hauled in that throw for a TD.

Could you guys please keep the idiocy in the Tiger Woods thread? TIA.

If Seattle does anything short of winning the Super Bowl Wilson is a failure.

If Seattle Wilson posts better stats than Hasselbeck did in his two worst seasons he is a success.

Keep tryin', guy.
Don't have to. I just let these guys play do the legwork. Then I come in and say I told ya so.

Playing one hell of a game :thumbup:
:lmao: 2 turnovers, 53% completion %. I'll put him as a rich man's Seneca Wallace. Good enough to be a team's backup and fill in once in a while when the opposition has no recent film on him.Or were you talking about RGIII?

I'll give him credit for making some gutsy throws at the end of the game. The throws weren't perfect, but they were catchable.

Only saw the last 3 plays after the cut-in following the Packers game. Poor pass on 3rd down IMO. The pass was good enough on the last play but not perfect.

He'll get better.

Braylon seemed to be dogging it a bit on that sideline pass earlier in the drive and didn't appear very vocal on the PI call. I wonder if he was hurting a bit or phoning it in; whatever the excuse he didn't go after that ball.

Playing one hell of a game :thumbup:
:lmao: 2 turnovers, 53% completion %. I'll put him as a rich man's Seneca Wallace. Good enough to be a team's backup and fill in once in a while when the opposition has no recent film on him.
Returns aren't close to in after one game, and the kid looked fine in the flow of the two minute drill (though the Okung injury broke th rhythm). My guess: you're far from an oracle.

Can you believe folks were sayin this short little scrub was better than RGIII? :thumbdown:
Didnt hear that. He just didnt look comfortable today. The play calling wasnt very good today. Have to wonder if Lynch's health played a part. Id think if he was 100% they wouldve fed him more and that wouldve helped Wilson's passing game. Oh well. Doesnt look to get any easier for him week 2 vs. Dallas

Keep tryin', guy.
Don't have to. I just let these guys play do the legwork. Then I come in and say I told ya so.
13 penalties. Braylon Edwards at WR. Dropped passes left and right. Constant blitzing, WR's covered like blankets. Seattle was clearly run first, second, and if Lynch didn't get the first down then Wilson was stuck in obvious passing downs and blitzed. He definitely sailed some balls and made a bad .2 second judgement call on the play deemed a fumble because he threw it behind the line of scrimmage. The kid showed moxie and poise and the clear trust of his team and coach. I think if Pete intends to win, he's going to have to give Wilson some more rope and let him play.To simply look at stats outside of context is foolish, and to express them definitively just leaves you looking ignorant.

Keep tryin', guy.
13 penalties. Braylon Edwards at WR. Dropped passes left and right. Constant blitzing, WR's covered like blankets. Seattle was clearly run first, second, and if Lynch didn't get the first down then Wilson was stuck in obvious passing downs and blitzed. He definitely sailed some balls and made a bad .2 second judgement call on the play deemed a fumble because he threw it behind the line of scrimmage. The kid showed moxie and poise and the clear trust of his team and coach. I think if Pete intends to win, he's going to have to give Wilson some more rope and let him play.To simply look at stats outside of context is foolish, and to express them definitively just leaves you looking ignorant.
Just an FYI. Very similar comments were early on in the Tebow thread, including the 'ignorant' comment which made those people look....well....ignorant.

Only saw the last 3 plays after the cut-in following the Packers game. Poor pass on 3rd down IMO. The pass was good enough on the last play but not perfect.He'll get better.
Nowhere to go but up! Of course he's been saying that since the 8th grade.

Can you believe folks were sayin this short little scrub was better than RGIII? :thumbdown:
Didnt hear that. He just didnt look comfortable today. The play calling wasnt very good today. Have to wonder if Lynch's health played a part. Id think if he was 100% they wouldve fed him more and that wouldve helped Wilson's passing game. Oh well. Doesnt look to get any easier for him week 2 vs. Dallas
The play calling was conservative by design; since Seattle likes to set things up with the run anyway it was only slightly more conservative due to a rookie QB. If Marshawn wasn't healthy they would have had no problem using Turbin more, and Lynch looked fine carrying it 21 times. More troublesome for Seattle was the turnstile that was the offensive line, particularly The 4 blitzes that got through completely unblocked. Wilson, for all his struggles today, was excellent at avoiding the sack considering the confused line play. Had the Cardinals line played like the Seahawks, Skelton would have been carted off the field in the first quarter. If Okung is out for a long period of time Seattle will have to temper expectations.

13 penalties. Braylon Edwards at WR. Dropped passes left and right. Constant blitzing, WR's covered like blankets. Seattle was clearly run first, second, and if Lynch didn't get the first down then Wilson was stuck in obvious passing downs and blitzed. He definitely sailed some balls and made a bad .2 second judgement call on the play deemed a fumble because he threw it behind the line of scrimmage. The kid showed moxie and poise and the clear trust of his team and coach. I think if Pete intends to win, he's going to have to give Wilson some more rope and let him play.

To simply look at stats outside of context is foolish, and to express them definitively just leaves you looking ignorant.
I appreciate your homerism but please don't try to convince us that the Seahawks were a run-first team today. They ran over 40 pass plays, compared to less than 30 running plays.

Didnt hear that. He just didnt look comfortable today. The play calling wasnt very good today. Have to wonder if Lynch's health played a part. Id think if he was 100% they wouldve fed him more and that wouldve helped Wilson's passing game.
Maybe, but 21 carries is about his average.
I saw Lynch had 10 carries for 40 yards in the 1st half. Didnt see the 2nd but it just seemed the offense never got in any rhythm. Penalties and 3 & long seemed to be a trend. I also didnt like several play calls by Pete in the 1st half. Not sure if it was any different in the 2nd.

13 penalties. Braylon Edwards at WR. Dropped passes left and right. Constant blitzing, WR's covered like blankets. Seattle was clearly run first, second, and if Lynch didn't get the first down then Wilson was stuck in obvious passing downs and blitzed. He definitely sailed some balls and made a bad .2 second judgement call on the play deemed a fumble because he threw it behind the line of scrimmage. The kid showed moxie and poise and the clear trust of his team and coach. I think if Pete intends to win, he's going to have to give Wilson some more rope and let him play.

To simply look at stats outside of context is foolish, and to express them definitively just leaves you looking ignorant.
I appreciate your homerism but please don't try to convince us that the Seahawks were a run-first team today. They ran over 40 pass plays, compared to less than 30 running plays.
The Seahawks are a run first team every day. That's their bread. And butter.

I thought he did.It was a solid game for rookie in his first start and on the road. He bounced back well after a slow 1st half and a terrible INT.

As a RL QB, it was encouraging, but certainly there's cause for concern for anyone hoping he'd be a good fantasy option.

The conservative offense looks like it could severely limit him.

Even then, he should've had 2 TDs and he did run it 8 times.

Sure, the hype might've gotten out of control, but it looks like SEA has themselves a nice young QB that might turn into a nice fantasy option too.

You're partly correct. The Seahawks passed the ball 56% of the time in 2011 and 60% of the time in 2010. So, technically they are not "run first".However, the NFL has become a passing league, so 56% doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Nonetheless, they ranked 15th in rush attempts in 2011.

You're partly correct. The Seahawks passed the ball 56% of the time in 2011 and 60% of the time in 2010. So, technically they are not "run first".However, the NFL has become a passing league, so 56% doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Nonetheless, they ranked 15th in rush attempts in 2011.
I was referring to the fact that Carrol's version of the WCO uses the run to set up the pass. There are only a few power running offenses with higher rushing attempts left in the league, but a few more still that use the run as the engine for their offense; Seattle is most definitely one of the latter.Though I do think Wilson will make them much better in the passing game.

Keep tryin', guy.
13 penalties. Braylon Edwards at WR. Dropped passes left and right. Constant blitzing, WR's covered like blankets. Seattle was clearly run first, second, and if Lynch didn't get the first down then Wilson was stuck in obvious passing downs and blitzed. He definitely sailed some balls and made a bad .2 second judgement call on the play deemed a fumble because he threw it behind the line of scrimmage. The kid showed moxie and poise and the clear trust of his team and coach. I think if Pete intends to win, he's going to have to give Wilson some more rope and let him play.To simply look at stats outside of context is foolish, and to express them definitively just leaves you looking ignorant. I would concur if we were talking about Tebow. But I'd have a VERY difficult time comparing Tebow with Russel (I've actually never heard that comparison) when it comes to being able to be a successful QB in the NFL. Tebow won football games in College...but I'd never try to hold his passing up to Wilson's (accuracy, TD/Int ratio, poise in the pocket/presence, release point/throwing motion,etc).Truth is, you aren't really talking to me...you are hoping the jackwagons saying Wilson is the 2nd coming of Cam Newton and is better than Luck and RB3 put together will show up in here. I'm not in that camp. I've never been in Tebow's camp from a QB standpoint. I'm not claiming is Drew Brees. Nor is he Mike Vick. I don't think we know who Russell will really compare to without a string of games as evidence. It felt like Seattle was holding Wilson back and trying to protect him unnecessarily with Lynch and the running game today. When it came down to it though, the passing game was exposed due to mediocre receivers, blitzing, getting stuck in obvious passing downs,etc...I just didn't get that same sense with Tebow, who I believe Denver had to protect because he was an option QB that couldn't throw.I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm pulling for Russell to get his shot because I like what I see and think the kid could be a top 10-12 QB if Seattle can improve their WR's.

13 penalties. Braylon Edwards at WR. Dropped passes left and right. Constant blitzing, WR's covered likeA blankets. Seattle was clearly run first, second, and if Lynch didn't get the first down then Wilson was stuck in obvious passing downs and blitzed. He definitely sailed some balls and made a bad .2 second judgement call on the play deemed a fumble because he threw it behind the line of scrimmage. The kid showed moxie and poise and the clear trust of his team and coach. I think if Pete intends to win, he's going to have to give Wilson some more rope and let him play.

First, I'm not a Seahawks fan. Secondly, they are absolutely a Run First team with Lynch, and have been a run first team for as long as I can remember. When has Seattle ever been a PASSING team? As for running over 40 pass plays----the box score says 34 (only 7 short of almost over 40....the box score also says 33 rushing plays---which is 4 more than less than 30. I'm not very good with math.

Just got to the bottom of this thread. I agree that the NFL is a pass first league if we are talking %'s of rush-vs-pass...but you won't confuse the Seahawks O with the Pats/Packers when it comes to attempts/yards/TD's is all I'm trying to get at.

Users who are viewing this thread