What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (3 Viewers)

Wilson is 58-0 when leading by 4 or more at halftime.  

No one has thrown more TDs than Wilson through the first  3 games.  He set that record before his last TD pass to Metcalf today.

What year do you think he deserved the MVP?
Did I say that? I don't think so. I just pointed out he's never received a vote. It's surprising. 

He's had several years where he could have had consideration and earned a vote or two. He's led the league in passer rating (2015). He's led the league in TD passes(2017). He was PFF's MVP last year (2019). 

Did I say that? I don't think so. I just pointed out he's never received a vote. It's surprising. 

He's had several years where he could have had consideration and earned a vote or two. He's led the league in passer rating (2015). He's led the league in TD passes(2017). He was PFF's MVP last year (2019). 
Yes you did say that.  Saying he should have received a single vote is implying that someone should have thought he was the TOP choice for MVP that year.  This isn't baseball where you rank them 1st, 2nd, 3rd.   If Wilson was just a tiny bit worse than the MVP winner that year, than he "should" have received 0 votes.

As it is now this year, he should receive every single vote.  In a perfect world, every MVP should be unanimous so it's not really surprising at all that he never got a vote.  He was never the top guy.

No, you assumed. I only pointed it out. Do you frequently walk around telling people what should and shouldn't be surprised by? You don't want to be that guy. It's a bad look,. 
And you ignored everything, as it seems you're not aware of how the voting works.

If you're not surprised he hasn't WON one, then you shouldn't be surprised that he never got a vote.  Each voter gets 1 vote.

And you ignored everything, as it seems you're not aware of how the voting works.

If you're not surprised he hasn't WON one, then you shouldn't be surprised that he never got a vote.  Each voter gets 1 vote.
Seriously, go pick an iFight elsewhere. 

Not picking a fight at all.  You're just ignoring logic and learned how the voting works today.  Nothing wrong with that.

Bobby Wagner got an MVP vote.  Dak Prescott got an MVP vote. Seriously. Quit being a tool. If you have to have it, take the last word. I promise I won't reply to you. 

Bobby Wagner got an MVP vote.  Dak Prescott got an MVP vote. Seriously. Quit being a tool. If you have to have it, take the last word. I promise I won't reply to you. 
Seems like you're the one who is trying to get the last word in.

Yes those people got MVP votes.  They shouldn't have.  So yes, I guess Russ should have gotten a vote if one of the voters screwed up or had a bias.  But he never deserved a vote, and never got one because the voters didn't screw up those years.

Not picking a fight at all.  You're just ignoring logic and learned how the voting works today.  Nothing wrong with that.
I'll be your huckleberry. You take RW off this team they are .500 or less for multiple seasons. Who is the most valuable player to their team by definition, Russell Wilson is. He literally should have at least one vote.

Russell Wilson completed 27-of-40 passes for 315 yards and five touchdowns in the Seahawks' Week 3 win over the Cowboys.

Wilson's 14 touchdowns through three games are the most in NFL history. The Seahawks' offensive transformation is the story of the NFL season, as they've gone from a run-based attack to one that relies on letting Russ cook. Now that we've seen the offense pass at this volume for three straight weeks, we can assume that it's here to stay. That makes the Seahawks Super Bowl contenders and Wilson a QB1 overall contender for fantasy. Wilson will carve up the Dolphins and Vikings over the next two weeks. Buckle up.

Sep 27, 2020, 7:50 PM ET

I'll be your huckleberry. You take RW off this team they are .500 or less for multiple seasons. Who is the most valuable player to their team by definition, Russell Wilson is. He literally should have at least one vote.
I agree with you.  He very well by definition be the most "valuable" player to his teams.  Unfortunately, agree with it or not, that's not how the NFL MVP award is interpreted or voted upon.  It's like when people said Andrew Luck should have been the MVP year he was hurt because the team was so bad. 

I think RW is the clear nfl MVP this year.  He had others more deserving other years, so all 50 voters each year shouldn't have voted for him.... this year they should.

I was surprised to learn he's never gotten a single vote. Interesting info. I've seen players get MVP votes who wouldn't be my choice, so I'm surprised that no voter has ever voted for him. 

I feel like I'm as a big a defender of Russell Wilson as anyone here at this point, but I am not surprised he has never received an MVP vote.  For all of his greatness, last year was the first time he was really a top tier MVP candidate, and Lamar Jackson pulled away from the pack by such a large margin that it became impossible for anyone else to get a vote.  Not a big deal. 

I think on most years Russ is probably top 3 or 4 for the MVP, but someone has always had that special year.  Now if you were going to vote on an MVP for the last 5 years, it would be real difficult to shut him out, and he would probably have a good chance of winning it.

I feel like I'm as a big a defender of Russell Wilson as anyone here at this point, but I am not surprised he has never received an MVP vote.  For all of his greatness, last year was the first time he was really a top tier MVP candidate, and Lamar Jackson pulled away from the pack by such a large margin that it became impossible for anyone else to get a vote.  Not a big deal. 
IMO there was a clear argument that Wilson was more valuable than Jackson last season. It mainly had to do with recognizing that Jackson had a much stronger supporting cast (offense, defense, and special teams). This was discussed in the Shark Pool this offseason, maybe this thread, don't remember.

But I understand that voters generally do not seek to truly identify the most valuable player for this award. The methodology is generally to give it to the best player, normally the QB, on the team with the best record. Jackson was clearly the guy based on that criteria last season.

IMO there was a clear argument that Wilson was more valuable than Jackson last season. It mainly had to do with recognizing that Jackson had a much stronger supporting cast (offense, defense, and special teams). This was discussed in the Shark Pool this offseason, maybe this thread, don't remember.

But I understand that voters generally do not seek to truly identify the most valuable player for this award. The methodology is generally to give it to the best player, normally the QB, on the team with the best record. Jackson was clearly the guy based on that criteria last season.
I recall that topic and I was on Wilson's side for much of it, but Jackson was putting up such unreal numbers, and like you said was playing on the team with the best record, that he became the runaway winner.

Has anyone traded Wilson for Lamar or vice versa in PPR dynasty this year? Curious as to what players were involved in the deals
Actually an interesting question. I own Russ, not sure I'd trade him for Lamar right now in a dynasty league even though Lamar is 8 years younger.  I am maybe a little less high than Lamar than some others.  It's a tough call though.

Russell Wilson completed 20-of-32 passes for 217 yards with three touchdowns and an interception in the Seahawks' Week 5 win over the Vikings.

It was another MVP performance from Wilson, who added 58 yards on five carries. Wilson had just six completions for 31 yards at half. He turned things around over the final two quarters, ultimately leading Seattle to a comeback drive with under two minutes. All three of Wilson's touchdowns were in the red-zone, with the game-winner coming on a tight window throw to DK Metcalf from six yards out. Wilson is now up to 1,502 yards with a 19:3 TD/INT ratio. The Seahawks (5-0) will remain undefeated going into their Week 6 bye.

Oct 11, 2020, 11:26 PM ET

Even local talking heads here in the PNW have been saying Mahomes is the best QB in the league.  I think they change their tune tomorrow morning.

Russell Wilson completed 33-of-50 passes for 388 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions in Week 7 against the Cardinals.

Wilson added 84 yards on six carries. He came out firing, with two first-half touchdowns to Tyler Lockett. He also threw a bad interception in the end-zone that would have been pick-sixed if not for DK Metcalf making a TD-saving tackle. Wilson later forced another interception in overtime that let the Cardinals kick the game-winning field goal. With the loss, the Seahawks (5-1) are only one game ahead of the Cardinals (5-2) and Rams (4-2) in the NFC West. Wilson gets another division matchup with the 49ers in Week 8.

Oct 26, 2020, 12:22 AM ET

Even local talking heads here in the PNW have been saying Mahomes is the best QB in the league.  I think they change their tune tomorrow morning.
Still think Mahomes is the best QB in the league.

Russ should run away with the MVP this year though.

Russell Wilson completed 22-of-37 passes for 248 yards, two interceptions, and a fumble in the Seahawks' Week 10 loss to the Rams.

It was Wilson's worst game of the season. Wilson looked out of rhythm, which led to two interceptions and more missed throws than normal. The Rams defense is becoming one of the very best in the NFL with CB Jalen Ramsey matching up well with powerful receivers like DK Metcalf. Bad games happen at this level, and his recent struggles are nothing to worry about moving forward. Expect the Seahawks to continue passing at near league-high rates because the defense looks like they're playing with nine players still. Wilson will be an elite QB1 against the Cardinals on Thursday Night Football. He certainly has his work cut out to re-enter the MVP conversation at this point, however.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
It is beginning to look like Russ may not be a Top Chef
Maybe just a Sous Chef.  He made some low probability of success passing TDs earlier in the year. And he misses Carson.

The Rams contained him in one of 2 games last year, so I'm not too worried yet.

One thing Wilson needs to do is re-evaluate the passing tree. Back in the Baldwin/Lockett/Kearse days he had no issues throwing it to Baldwin regardless of who was covering him because he trusted Baldwin to beat coverage. DK Metcalf has sonned Stephen Gilmore and Tre'Davious White this season, his ability is very much one of the main reason Russ is in the MVP competition. Oddly enough with Peterson and Ramsey (two of the only guys who have the size/speed to stick with DK)... he completely stopped trying to target DK and spread the ball to others... you can't do that as a QB. Aikman was stunned on the broadcast, mentioning he'd be looking for a way to get Irvin the ball at all times. It was even more surprising when they moved DK around, Ramsey didn't follow him and they still didn't pass to DK.

The second thing is Russ is not diagnosing coverages/situations well right now. That 25 yard endzone INT when he had open field and only 1 defender 15 yards away? YIKES.

Russell Wilson completed 22-of-31 passes for 230 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' 23-17, Week 12 win over the Eagles Monday night.

He rushed for 12 yards on six attempts. This game wasn't nearly as close as the final score would suggest. The Eagles padded the stats with a meaningless final drive that ended in a Hail Mary touchdown. Wilson was cooking with DK Metcalf, hooking up with his second-year wideout 10 times for 177 yards, but nobody else really made a difference in the box score. David Moore caught Wilson's lone touchdown from one yard out on an end-zone fade. Wilson will be a top-five QB1, as always, next week against the Giants.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seahawks have passed on just 56.3 percent of their offensive plays over the past three weeks. 

That's down from their season-long rate of 60.8 percent. On Monday night against the Eagles, Seattle passed on 52.1 percent of their plays. That may have been dictated by game script and the Eagles' total inability to move the football. An improving Seattle defense -- the front seven, anyway -- and the return of Chris Carson from a foot injury could spell the end (for now) of the Let Russ Cook movement in Seattle. No quarterback dropped back to pass more than Russell Wilson over the season's first ten weeks, but head coach Pete Carroll seems ready to move on from Let Russ Cook hysteria that proved a godsend for fantasy players. "Early on [this season] when we didn't have to run the ball much because we were rolling throwing the football, those guys were out there and we almost took it for granted," Carroll said. "I'm disappointed about that because that's the element of our football that makes us this style of team that we are and it makes Russ' job different than it is when he has to throw the ball 40 times or 50 times. He certainly can do it and loves doing it and we don't mind doing it, but our football is better shaped when we're balanced and we're attacking you and we can play off of that." The hyper-efficient Wilson remains a high-end QB1. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Dec 1, 2020, 12:26 PM ET

Russell Wilson completed 27-of-43 passes for 263 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in Seattle's Week 13 loss to the Giants.

New York's front-seven gave Wilson the day off from the kitchen, stuffing him with five sacks including Leonard Williams' career-high 2.5 and five quarterback hits. Wilson's interception can be attributed to Chris Carson, who bobbled a target into Darnay Holmes' lap, but the former was nonetheless rattled and under constant duress throughout regulation. WIlson found Carson for a 28-yard touchdown over Jabril Peppers in the fourth quarter, which helped extend the franchise's 58-game streak with a touchdown, but that was ultimately the only offensive score for the Seahawks as the Giants batted down Wilson's final Hail Mary. Seattle now sits behind the Rams atop the NFC West at 8-4 with two divisional games left to play in the last two weeks of the season. Wilson will still rank as a top-five option in Week 14 against the Jets.

- Rotoworld

NFL playoffs 2020 concern index: Should we be worried about Russell Wilson, Tom Brady and Lamar Jackson?

Excerpt:

RUSSELL WILSON, QB, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

After a blistering start to the season that saw him put up MVP numbers, Wilson has cooled off considerably. Through Week 8, his 95.0 grade would have broken the record for the highest PFF grade earned by a quarterback. He threw accurately, avoided turnovers and cashed in on deep shots time and time again. But a rough stretch has since clouded that early success.

Wilson's 63.5 grade since Week 9 sits ahead of only two rookies and three backups among quarterbacks who have taken 100 snaps in that span. Most concerning, the issues with Wilson seem to be at the foundational level. When removing screens, play-action passes and RPOs, his grade still languishes near the bottom of the league. On straight drop-back passes since Week 9, his sack rate has risen by three percentage points, his turnover-worthy play percentage has jumped by 1.4 percentage points, and his adjusted completion percentage has dropped by 6.2 percentage points.

Wilson will have to make some plays as a straight drop-back quarterback in tight playoff games — times when he won't always be able to lean on the aforementioned peripheral concepts. He's certainly capable, but his play of late has not been good enough for the Seahawks to win games against top-tier competition.

Russell Wilson is the 12th highest scoring quarterback in fantasy football since Week 10. 

Seattle has reverted to its ultra-conservative ways of the pre-Let Russ Cook era, effectively crushing Wilson's weekly ceiling. Wilson has remained a borderline QB1 in fantasy thanks to rushing production (210 rushing yards from Week 10-15) and nine touchdown tosses in those six games. Wilson's blistering start to the season -- he had 1,502 yards and 19 touchdowns in his first five games -- proved unsustainable. In Week 16 against the Rams, fantasy managers might do well to explore their options at QB. 

Dec 21, 2020, 10:55 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread