What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Taylor Heinicke, ATL (1 Viewer)

For fantasy purposes (not real life purposes), the key to me is whether Heinicke is a QB who will add a minimum of 6-7 carries per game.  With 12 carries/72 yards in his two previous career starts (admittedly a small sample), I had some hope we might see that aspect of his game last night.

There were at least two times he did attempt to run when the turf monster attacked, but overall he clearly was not looking to be on the move.

The question to me is whether he was coached to try to stay in the pocket, given the very early stages of his development.
I think all he hears about (and for good reason) is how he needs to stay healthy after risking his body so much in previous game action, and other injuries in previous years’ training camps etc. I think he knows this is a huge opportunity and doesn’t want to end up on IR for it, so he’s being cautious given his reputation as an injury-prone and small player.

I think defenses start to figure him out, and those down the field passes start getting gobbled up by defenders who bait the QB into making throws where he thinks the WR is open.

apparently one poker tell he has is that he just flat-out refuses to use RBs in dumpoffs/short passes. so do defenses just leave Gibson alone and drop another man into coverage ? 

Helaire-ious said:
How are we feeling about Logan Thomas with him at QB? (Fantasy wise)
I didn't see anything of note. He just looked another option in his progressions. McLaurin was clearly first n foremost

I think defenses start to figure him out, and those down the field passes start getting gobbled up by defenders who bait the QB into making throws where he thinks the WR is open.
Definitely a risk as teams get more film on him. I will say it's fun watching him.

Super soft defense the giants were playing but I thought he played extremely well. He’s a bit erratic but he’s got balls of steel and in my opinion that a rare and unteachable trait. 

Taylor Heinicke completed 23-of-33 passes for 290 yards and three touchdowns in Washington's Week 4 win against the Falcons, adding five rushes for 43 yards. 

Playing his occasionally heart stopping brand of football, Heinicke hit a few all-or-nothing passes against an awful Atlanta secondary, including a Hail Mary-type throw to Terry McLaurin in the fourth quarter. Heinicke scrambled late in the ball game and threw across his body to J.D. McKissic, who broke a tackle and scored the go-ahead touchdown for Washington. Against a better secondary, Heinicke could have thrown at least a couple interceptions on ill-advised throws into double and triple coverage. His aggressiveness and willingness to give McLaurin chances on downfield shots should make McLaurin an elite fantasy option for the remainder of the season. Heinicke will be a decent QB2 option in Week 5 against New Orleans.

Taylor Heinicke completed 20 of 41 passes for 248 yards with zero touchdowns and two interceptions in Sunday's 33-22 loss to the Saints. He added 40 yards on five carries.

ANALYSIS: For the first time this season, Heinicke failed to produce a touchdown, and his 6.0 yards per attempt was by far a season low. The 28-year-old has a shaky 7:5 TD:INT through four starts, but he'll face a more generous defense in Week 6 when Washington hosts Kansas City.

- Rotowire.com

For those of us in QB purgatory, do you see yesterday's game as one to accept for a first-time starter, or were the initial stats a mirage?

+40 rush yards the last two weeks caught my eye at least.

Taylor Heinicke completed 24-of-39 attempts for 182 yards, a touchdown, and an interception in Washington's Week 6 loss to the Chiefs. 

Heinicke managed to do the (seemingly) impossible: Underperform against a Chiefs defense that had allowed a 67.7 percent completion rate and 8.9 yards per pass attempt -- the league's third highest rate headed into Week 6. Heinicke didn't log a single rushing attempt after racking up 22 rushes in his first four starts this year. He extended plays against a feisty Kansas City pass rush but couldn't connect with Terry McLaurin on a couple deep shots that would have saved his fantasy day. Without a solid outing next week against the Packers, Heinicke could be well on his way to losing the starting gig to Ryan Fitzpatrick (hip), who could be cleared to return as soon as Week 7. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Taylor Heinicke completed 27-of-35 passes for 235 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in Washington's 17-15, Week 12 win over the Seahawks Monday night.

Heinicke rushed for just three yards on four attempts, including a couple kneel-downs. His lone touchdown pass was a 10-yard hookup with J.D. McKissic in the first half. Heinicke appeared to have a second touchdown late in the fourth quarter, but the four-yard score to Logan Thomas was curiously overturned after initially being called a touchdown. It was very close. Heinicke has 0-1 touchdown passes in six of his last seven games and hasn't rushed for a score since Week 3. He's settled in as a middling QB2 ahead of a Week 13 date with the Raiders.

Nov 29, 2021, 11:47 PM ET

Washington placed Taylor Heinicke on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

It's an apocalyptic scenario for the Football Team, as backup QB Kyle Allen is also on the COVID-19 list. NFL Network's Mike Garofolo said "right now," Kyle Shurmur would start for Washington this week against the Eagles unless Allen can test out of the league's COVID protocol by Saturday. The Football Team is expected to sign journeyman Garrett Gilbert, who started a game last year for Dallas. Shurmur under center would necessitate serious downgrades for Terry McLaurin, Antonio Gibson, and other fantasy-relevant Football Team players. Shurmur would only be viable in the deepest superflex formats. 

RELATED: 

Kyle Allen

, Garrett Gilbert

, Kyle Shurmur

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 17, 2021, 10:05 AM ET

I expect Ron Rivera is still disillusioned that this Commode-ers team is a legit playoff contender, and while he suffers under that condition, he'll continue to trot Heinicke out. I expect Heinicke to deliver more exciting, competitive football than Wentz, but ultimately, as he is not an starting-caliber NFL QB, it won't matter much. I expect the Commode-ers to give Heinecke a 6-week audition, and if they find a way to go 3-3 in that time, he'll continue to start until mathematically eliminated, which will inevitably happen...which is why I expect to be mightily annoyed that they aren't seeing what they have in Howell, starting on Sunday against the Packers.

So you're saying I should hang onto McLauren for another week or two?

No. He's a scud missile for McLaurin's value. He can't throw him the ball where he needs to have it thrown. Wentz was an improvement, actually. Can't believe Heinicke is getting the start here. Oh, I see Wentz is hurt. Makes more sense.

But this is a disaster for McLaurin's value. Believe me.
Why?

McLaurin getting 4 catches and 60 yards per game with Wentz. Plus, only one TD. Heinicke kind of sucks but so does Wentz. Not saying it will be great, but can't really get worse. May get better just because he gets targeted more.

No. He's a scud missile for McLaurin's value. He can't throw him the ball where he needs to have it thrown. Wentz was an improvement, actually. Can't believe Heinicke is getting the start here. Oh, I see Wentz is hurt. Makes more sense.

Why?

McLaurin getting 4 catches and 60 yards per game with Wentz. Plus, only one TD. Heinicke kind of sucks but so does Wentz. Not saying it will be great, but can't really get worse. May get better just because he gets targeted more.

I actually think he'll be fine for Terry because he'll be able to avoid the rush and he'll take deep shots. The issue is that TH is 5'7" and has the arm strength of a D-2 college qb.

Well, it's just my opinion... Wentz stinks! He hasn't been good for a long time. I can't believe he keeps getting starting jobs. I have not seen this improvement you speak of - although, to be fair I haven't watched every game.

The Commies are just bad offensively. One of those teams that feels like they take the field in clock kill mode.

McLaurin at least has a prayer of being on the receiving end of a deep ball with Wentz. There's no such threat with Heinicke. He can't make professional throws and they all crowd the box and defend the hashes when they figure out that he can't. He then nukes Terry's value. Trust that. I've watched it.

It's like everybody calling for Minshew. That was a disaster for whatever team started him because teams just defended inside the hashes and let him try to beat them deep and out. He couldn't make those throws. So it is with Heinicke.

Have they formally anounced that Taylor will start over Sam? Man I hope someone wakes up and gets a clue here...

Have they formally anounced that Taylor will start over Sam? Man I hope someone wakes up and gets a clue here...

See my most recent WFT thread post. They SHOULD start Howell, but Pontoon Boat Ron is so obtuse he doesn't realize Howell is his best shot at keeping his job. Or else he is an evil genius and is trying to get the evil nincompoop owner to fire him.

I am no Commodore fan but I listen to two DC podcasts so have an interest in that sinking ship of a franchise.

With how bad that O-Line is I am not surprised they do not start Howell.

Line just plain stinks! Play calling stinks also!

Wentz could not even have his back foot hit on his drop on passing downs and the defense was already in the backfield on him
Don't care what QB you are no one will have success in that situation
When he did have time he was not all that good either.

Heinike could be a crap show or they may adjust the offense to help him
Either way if they keep putting the offense in so many obvious passing downs he will get killed also

I do not think Howell is ready to come in behind this crap O-Line and play

Taylor Heinicke will start in Week 7 against the Packers.​

Washington head coach Ron Rivera said rookie QB Sam Howell will serve as Heinicke's backup. Heinicke was mostly atrocious in 15 games last season, throwing 20 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. His 6.9 yards per attempt ranked 22nd in the league and his completion rate over expected was 12th worst among NFL starters. Heinicke's weak arm and inaccurate downfield throws will sink Terry McLaurin's fantasy prospects even further. Curtis Samuel should retain PPR appeal as a check down option in the short area of the field. Howell should be rostered in all superflex formats. He's certain to get playing time once Washington's season is lost.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Oct 18, 2022, 12:14 PM ET

heineke certainly has limitations, but he's among the best backups in the league IMO. He's short and his arm strength is marginal (not bad as stated by others above, but certainly marginal). He's a former Walter Peyton award winner (top FCS player in the Country), not "D2 level". He's VERY mobile and can extend plays. He does have a tendency to become a bit of a gunslinger (without the big gun) who can throw picks in bunches.

Honestly think Washington O will look better with him then it did with Wentz. But he won't make them a winner. McLaurin won't do worse

Users who are viewing this thread