What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (2 Viewers)

He signed a 1 yr deal for $6M.

There’s no way NO trades a 3rd without a deal already in place that extends that contract.
Hm. I have doubts about our front office that perhaps I should not have. I want real black and white reporting on this and my guess is it will come from outside Nola.

You've also got what is basically an abject failure by Sean Payton to find a real, young replacement for Brees. Payton - who I appreciate so much and I mean that - has not been such a QB genius outside Brees. The preseason has IMO been a total disgrace. Taysom Hill played perhaps the most disastrous half of football from a QB that I can recall in PS game 2. Stats were fine, but there were 4 TOs and IIRC there were two more drives where he basically coughed the ball up but the Saints somehow held it. Tom Savage has been Tom Savage. And actually he has been *ok* but maybe one successful downfield throw that I can recall in PS.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if you're Teddy and fought back the way he has, do you sign on to be a backup for another year or two beyond this year when you're set up to try and land a starting job next year?
Starting for a 4-12 team in 2019, or for a 12-4 loaded-roster team in 2020? Not like he'll be eating out of garbage cans while holding a clipboard for two seasons.

Hard to think that Brees' resurrection in New Orleans with Joe Lombardi and Sean Payton doesn't factor in to Bridgewater's view of his new team.

I love the trade from Teddy's point of view, but giving up a 3rd rounder seems pretty excessive, especially if they don't have a long-term deal in place.

I can't imagine that there were very many teams offering more than a 4th or 5th round pick.

You've also got what is basically an abject failure by Sean Payton to find a real, young replacement for Brees. Payton - who I appreciate so much and I mean that - has not been such a QB genius outside Brees.
Yeah, but "developing Brees" is a heckuva nice skin on the wall.

Payton isn't like Bill Walsh or Don Coryell or anything ... but he did max out Kerry Collins abilities in New York (even passing for 4,000 yards in 2002). And Payton is given (maybe too much?) credit for Tony Romo's development in Dallas though they only officially worked together during the 2005 season. 

Agreed about the Saints failing to find Brees' heir apparent, though. One big problem they had was having to catch up on their roster quality after the 2012-2013-2014 drafts, which were either thinned by Bountygate or rife with misses. Bad FA signings compounded the problem. They couldn't throw a high pick at a QB in recent years.

I love the trade from Teddy's point of view, but giving up a 3rd rounder seems pretty excessive, especially if they don't have a long-term deal in place.

I can't imagine that there were very many teams offering more than a 4th or 5th round pick.
I feel like I’m not up to speed on the Jets but my sense was TB had played the best in PS. But regardless the NYJ want to get to the franchise rookie no matter what. They brought McCown in for the placeholder job. Teddy seems far more expendable than is merited by a 3rd.

Also without checking IIRC this leaves the Saints without a 1st or a 3rd in next year’s draft.

Compensatory picks are based on a complex formula that involves things like playing time and your net free agent loss or gain.

So, if Bridgewater doesn't play AND the Saints sign another free agent QB next year, then they won't get anything.

If Bridgewater plays a lot and then he leaves (and the Saints DON'T sign another QB), then they'll get a compensatory pick.

Teddy won't know until next offseason if re-signing with the Saints will be his best option, and I'd be shocked if he worked that hard to come back and build up his value without at least exploring what's out there as a UFA.  Even if he doesn't play a snap this season, teams needing a QB will want him and some may be able to offer him a starting job.  

Don't know what teams will be looking for a QB, don't know who could offer him a starting job or a chance to compete for one.  But if Brees is going to play in 2019, then it's unlikely that New Orleans would be his best situation as a UFA.  Without some sort of indication that Teddy is open to re-upping in New Orleans, I can't imagine the Saints would've moved a pick like that though.

This year's QB draft class was deep and so-far the rookies are looking 'pretty decent'.

I would have to guess that next year's QB crop isn't looking nearly as good so those speculating that Teddy is insurance for Brees retiring are probably on the right track.
And, it makes perfect sense if Bridgewater were under contract during said time Brees might be retiring.  But, he isn’t.  There’s no data I’m aware of pointing to how getting a guy in house translates to signing future contracts.  

This is a one-year backup insurance policy.  Expecting him to be around for Brees’s retirement party and beyond is expensive wishful thinking.

But if you're Teddy and fought back the way he has, do you sign on to be a backup for another year or two beyond this year when you're set up to try and land a starting job next year?

I don’t know.  Rodgers just did pretty well for himself didn’t he?  Guess sitting behind Favre and learning for 4 years was worthwhile.

I don’t know.  Rodgers just did pretty well for himself didn’t he?  Guess sitting behind Favre and learning for 4 years was worthwhile.
Rodgers had no choice. If he could have left GB at the end of any one of those seasons and signed for at least $20MM, I’m pretty sure he would have done it.

That's what we're telling ourselves down here  :unsure:

Baseball teams sometimes "rent" players for a year or half a year ... but I can't recall an NFL team ever intentionally doing that.
Didn't the Rams just recently do this with Watkins? And the Pats just did it with Cooks but were able to flip him and profit before he left. 

Rodgers had no choice. If he could have left GB at the end of any one of those seasons and signed for at least $20MM, I’m pretty sure he would have done it.
I don’t believe that much is on the table for Bridgewater in 2019. Say he stayed on the Jets all of 2018 with Darnold starting 16 games. Someone’s paying Bridgewater even $18M/yr to start in 2019?

One our local radio guys (Gus Katengill) mentioned that the franchise tag could be used to buy an (expensive) extra year with Bridgewater. Realistic?

Good for Teddy.

I think it is interesting that he gets to work with Drew Brees now who is the player Norv Turner compared Teddy to.
At the end of the day I'm just glad for Teddy as well.   The Jets have their QB of the future so Teddy needed out.   The Saints have a good young nucleus of players on O ready for Teddy when Brees retires.   

I don’t believe that much is on the table for Bridgewater in 2019. Say he stayed on the Jets all of 2018 with Darnold starting 16 games. Someone’s paying Bridgewater even $18M/yr to start in 2019?
Yes. Case Kennum got paid that. Don’t forget Bridgewater has played before and he was a Pro Bowler. All he needs to be is healthy and he’s already showed that. 

He potentially lost tens of millions of dollars.  It worked out, despite sitting 4 years, but let’s not pretend Favre was any sort of mentor or model for Rodgers.  

i'm okay with rolling the dice in effect with this move. teddy could be the future here and we were willing to spend two R1 picks for Davenport in this draft. parting with a R3 pick for a future starting QB is not steep price. that said, Teddy better sign with us and this needs to work.

i'm okay with rolling the dice in effect with this move. teddy could be the future here and we were willing to spend two R1 picks for Davenport in this draft. parting with a R3 pick for a future starting QB is not steep price. that said, Teddy better sign with us and this needs to work.
Why does it need to work. Majority of 3rd round qb picks fail. Saints took Grayson early 3rd round 2 or 3 years ago.

So, you think Saints are going to Super Bowl.  Without Brees.  Got it.
Is it likely?   PROBABLY not.  Is it out of the realm of reality?  Not at all.  The defense is for real.  The running game is for real.  The receiving options and coaching are there.  Hell, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.   Look at the Eagles with Foles last year.  So yes, the Saints are definitely a team that could make the Super Bowl without at Brees now.

Shawnky said:
Is it likely?   PROBABLY not.  Is it out of the realm of reality?  Not at all.  The defense is for real.  The running game is for real.  The receiving options and coaching are there.  Hell, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.   Look at the Eagles with Foles last year.  So yes, the Saints are definitely a team that could make the Super Bowl without at Brees now.
Ok.  

It occurs to me here that Trent Dilfer is the greatest gift ever given to NFL fans and their knack for irrational optimism.

Ok.  

It occurs to me here that Trent Dilfer is the greatest gift ever given to NFL fans and their knack for irrational optimism.
Nothing irrational when you add the likes of Foles, Kaep, Flacco, Grossman, Hasselback, Delhomme, Gannon, Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins......I can go on.  You don't have to have a Hall of Fame QB to make it to the Super Bowl.  

Tool said:
Why does it need to work. Majority of 3rd round qb picks fail. Saints took Grayson early 3rd round 2 or 3 years ago.
Majority of picks in all rounds fail.  But, that’s still silly rationale for lighting a Day 2 pick on fire for a backup rental for a year.

Nothing irrational when you add the likes of Foles, Kaep, Flacco, Grossman, Hasselback, Delhomme, Gannon, Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins......I can go on.  You don't have to have a Hall of Fame QB to make it to the Super Bowl.  
Useful to note here that Kaepernick was available.  And the Saints wouldn’t have had to hemorrhage a 3rd rounder.

Majority of picks in all rounds fail.  But, that’s still silly rationale for lighting a Day 2 pick on fire for a backup rental for a year.
You're getting ahead of yourself thinking it's a 1 year rental.  Last I checked, Brees will be 40 very soon.  Don't kid yourself.   The Saints already don't have a 1 next year.  You  act like they don't know what they're doing in NO.

You're getting ahead of yourself thinking it's a 1 year rental.  Last I checked, Brees will be 40 very soon.  Don't kid yourself.   The Saints already don't have a 1 next year.  You  act like they don't know what they're doing in NO.
So, Bridgewater has a contract with them in 2019?

Saints could still trade him this year to a team who's QB gets hurt, right?  That's not off the table.  Or, they could get a compensatory pick next year (after some magic calculus is computed) that offsets this and possibly means they traded a 3rd for a 4th and a 6th (they got a 6th from the Jets as well as Teddy).....all while having a very good backup QB at a reasonable $ price ($5m) and potentially having the inside track to sign him long term. 

So you must have been in on the discussions between the Saints, Jets, and Bridgewater prior to the trade, since you appear to have some kind of inside knowledge that none of the rest of us do.

I remember when SF traded a 2nd for Jimmy G with only about 6 weeks left on his contract... that seemed to turn out just fine.

Why do people assume that these teams don't have a plan in place? We do we assume that NO hasn't talked to Teddy about the possibility of a long term deal prior to the trade? 

So you must have been in on the discussions between the Saints, Jets, and Bridgewater prior to the trade, since you appear to have some kind of inside knowledge that none of the rest of us do.
I'm just speculating I have no inside info - but unless the Saints make a very generous offer (and I don't see how they can) I don't see Teddy having any incentive to sign an extension with the Saints for backup type money now or during the season. Why wouldn't he want to see what's out there next offseason? - off the top of my head I can see a few teams like Jacksonville, Miami, Denver and possibly even Tampa Bay or Buffalo looking for starting QBs next offseason.

I can see a scenario where Brees retires leaving the Saints as one of those teams as well in which case they could offer him a big contract and if he likes his time there put them in the driver's seat.

I remember when SF traded a 2nd for Jimmy G with only about 6 weeks left on his contract... that seemed to turn out just fine.

Why do people assume that these teams don't have a plan in place? We do we assume that NO hasn't talked to Teddy about the possibility of a long term deal prior to the trade? 
SF didn't have a Hall of Fame QB making $30MM a year already on the team?

While I agree with you, in the Jimmy G situation he was walking right in as both the immediate as well as the long term man at QB.  He was their starting QB within a few weeks of the trade.  That won't be the case for Teddy (unless Brees goes down), for at least a full year, very possibly two. 

Dr. Octopus said:
Doug B said:
Yes. Case Kennum got paid that. Don’t forget Bridgewater has played before and he was a Pro Bowler. All he needs to be is healthy and he’s already showed that. 
You're fighting the hypothetical a bit -- if he stayed on the bench for NYJ all of 2018, now way he'd command $18+ M/yr in 2019. Keenum's Denver contract came after a 2017 season where he got to demonstrate legit starting QB ability for half a season plus playoffs.

If I'm following the logic of your take correctly ... Bridgewater should've easily commanded a Keenum or Bortles level contract THIS PAST offseason. But that market wasn't there for him -- and it wouldn't be there for him next offseason, either, without a chance to take a lot of meaningful snaps during the 2018 regular season for the Jets.

(Re: his Pro Bowl appearance -- looks good on his resume. But it was after half the NFC QBs passed. Same as when Tyrod Taylor went to the Pro Bowl. Bridgewater was flashing and showing potential, but wasn't a top-several NFL starter that year.)

I'm just speculating I have no inside info - but unless the Saints make a very generous offer (and I don't see how they can) I don't see Teddy having any incentive to sign an extension with the Saints for backup type money now or during the season. Why wouldn't he want to see what's out there next offseason? - off the top of my head I can see a few teams like Jacksonville, Miami, Denver and possibly even Tampa Bay or Buffalo looking for starting QBs next offseason.

I can see a scenario where Brees retires leaving the Saints as one of those teams as well in which case they could offer him a big contract and if he likes his time there put them in the driver's seat.

Continuity and guaranteed money over a long contract can be a powerful incentive.  NO can see what he looks like in practice, and if he continues to look like he did this past PS could easily put a huge signing bonus in a backloaded 6-7 year contract that would make good cap sense.  Brees will also turn 40 after this season - as you said, NO could simply decide to move on and make Bridgewater their starter while paying him accordingly.

You're fighting the hypothetical a bit -- if he stayed on the bench for NYJ all of 2018, now way he'd command $18+ M/yr in 2019. Keenum's Denver contract came after a 2017 season where he got to demonstrate legit starting QB ability for half a season plus playoffs.

If I'm following the logic of your take correctly ... Bridgewater should've easily commanded a Keenum or Bortles level contract THIS PAST offseason. But that market wasn't there for him -- and it wouldn't be there for him next offseason, either, without a chance to take a lot of meaningful snaps during the 2018 regular season for the Jets.

(Re: his Pro Bowl appearance -- looks good on his resume. But it was after half the NFC QBs passed. Same as when Tyrod Taylor went to the Pro Bowl. Bridgewater was flashing and showing potential, but wasn't a top-several NFL starter that year.)
You're not following my logic at all. Teams were leery of him because of his injury and being away from the field for two seasons - he has not proven to be recovered and regained form.

I think it's wishful thinking on your part to think he's not going to get any serious offers on the open market. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Continuity and guaranteed money over a long contract can be a powerful incentive.  NO can see what he looks like in practice, and if he continues to look like he did this past PS could easily put a huge signing bonus in a backloaded 6-7 year contract that would make good cap sense.  Brees will also turn 40 after this season - NO could simply decide to move on and make Bridgewater their starter while paying him accordingly.
I think that's certainly a possibility (and I left that scenario open in my post). But if he signed a big money (i.e. starter's money) contract in-season that may not sit well with Brees during the season.

You're not following my logic at all. Teams were leery of him because of his injury and being away from the field for two seasons - he has not proven to be recovered and regained form.
Isn't this still the case? Nice preseason ... but how much does that count for?

Users who are viewing this thread