What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tyrod Taylor, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Gottabesweet said:
Forced to start him vs Washington with Dalton out. I'm a homer and not confident about the @ Washington matchup without Clay most likely.
All the Wash D pass ranks and opposing QB fantasy ranks are in the low 20's the last month + from what I read...seems like a good matchup and Taylor has been solid 3 weeks in a row.

What worries you other than Clay's absence?

I have 12 position players. In terms of beating projections, TT is 8/11 this year. He's the most consistent guy on my roster.

Probably sticking with Bortles as he's on a roll, but I would have zero worries starting Tyrod v. Washington if I needed another option.

Gottabesweet said:
Forced to start him vs Washington with Dalton out. I'm a homer and not confident about the @ Washington matchup without Clay most likely.
All the Wash D pass ranks and opposing QB fantasy ranks are in the low 20's the last month + from what I read...seems like a good matchup and Taylor has been solid 3 weeks in a row.

Greg Roman trying to run the ball and this week it looks like Mills is starting at RT because Henderson has colon problems. The line was a mess last week. Outside of his deep ball TD to Sammy it's a bad week. Can't keep counting on these go-route- TD's at some point they'll be covered over the top.

Gottabesweet said:

If Clay is out you're taking away a safety valve, combine that with Rex's desire to see Tyrod run a little and I think we can see a couple of nice long scrambles in the game.

Gottabesweet said:

If Clay is out you're taking away a safety valve, combine that with Rex's desire to see Tyrod run a little and I think we can see a couple of nice long scrambles in the game.
Clay does alot that doesn't show up in the stat sheets, He's been vital in helping Watkins get 1 on 1 so Tyrod can take a shot before the safety gets over. Chris Gragg or Robert Woods won't be able to stretch the middle of the field.

If you've watched any Baltimore preseason or even VT games a few years ago you'd know this guy has starter potential. He's a leader. He's accurate. He moves well in and out of the pocket. Being behind flacco is the only reason he hasn't been a starter yet. No way Manuel or cassel are better than him.
I read all the posts in here. So many people continue to fail to see how good this guy is. He is not just a running QB. I've been listening to DC radio and they certainly think that's all he is. Stupid of them. He is #5 in the NFL in passer rating, 5th in yards per attempt, and has an 18:5 TD:INT ratio. I believe the Bills are 0-2 when he missed games.

Same think with Redskins and Cousins. Cousins is playing very well. Everyone still thinks he's the reincarnation of Rex Grossman and Chad Pennington.

Right now these two guys are playing better than Brees, Big Ben, Carr, Eli, Rivers, Cutler, Stafford, Tanneyhill and Ryan. Yet I doubt if there was a re-draft anyone would take Taylor or Cousins ahead of any of those, either in an a NFL draft or in a fantasy draft.

Frankly two of the top 12 QBs in the league are playing against each other this weekend. Nobody will notice because they weren't considered franchise QBs out of college. Seems you have to win Super Bowls and marry a supermodel before the media and many fans get over that.

If you've watched any Baltimore preseason or even VT games a few years ago you'd know this guy has starter potential. He's a leader. He's accurate. He moves well in and out of the pocket. Being behind flacco is the only reason he hasn't been a starter yet. No way Manuel or cassel are better than him.
I read all the posts in here. So many people continue to fail to see how good this guy is. He is not just a running QB. I've been listening to DC radio and they certainly think that's all he is. Stupid of them. He is #5 in the NFL in passer rating, 5th in yards per attempt, and has an 18:5 TD:INT ratio. I believe the Bills are 0-2 when he missed games.

Same think with Redskins and Cousins. Cousins is playing very well. Everyone still thinks he's the reincarnation of Rex Grossman and Chad Pennington.

Right now these two guys are playing better than Brees, Big Ben, Carr, Eli, Rivers, Cutler, Stafford, Tanneyhill and Ryan. Yet I doubt if there was a re-draft anyone would take Taylor or Cousins ahead of any of those, either in an a NFL draft or in a fantasy draft.

Frankly two of the top 12 QBs in the league are playing against each other this weekend. Nobody will notice because they weren't considered franchise QBs out of college. Seems you have to win Super Bowls and marry a supermodel before the media and many fans get over that.
When he throws less than 30 times a game they win. Terrible record when he has to throw the ball. We still aren't annoiting him in Buffalo and neither is Whaley. Probably drafting a guy next year and getting a veteran option. People are talking giving him 20+ m a year.

I'm thinking 17-27 209 yards, 1 TD, 1INT and 6 runs for 39 yards. A close loss to Washington.

When he throws less than 30 times a game they win. Terrible record when he has to throw the ball. We still aren't annoiting him in Buffalo and neither is Whaley. Probably drafting a guy next year and getting a veteran option. People are talking giving him 20+ m a year.

I'm thinking 17-27 209 yards, 1 TD, 1INT and 6 runs for 39 yards. A close loss to Washington.
You do realize that the game plan is usually not to throw over 30 times a game. If they're throwing that much, they're probably behind in the game which a lot of the time isn't his fault. They may bring in a backup option as insurance but it's Taylors job to lose.

QBs with a lower Interception percentage than TT:

• Smith
  • Rodgers
  • Brady
  • McCown
QBs with a better TD/INT ratio than TT:

• Rodgers
  • Brady
Redskins rank 22nd in Interceptions with 9 (tied with SF)

Most FF points - QBs weeks 12-14:

• Wilson
  • Bortles
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Newton
  • Taylor

Most FF points - QBs weeks 9-14 (BUF bye was Week 8):

• Newton
  • Wilson
  • Mariota
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Rodgers
  • Bortles
  • Brady
  • Taylor

Slightly off topic but since we're talking about long shot QBs, I've always been intrigued by Kellen Moore of the Lions. Moore has a much longer shot at FF relevance due to his situation, obviously but he has tremendous accuracy. The article below hints at him having finally getting a legitimate shot to compete for the backup job to Stafford. His strength is great accuracy but he's undersized and doesn't have a great arm.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/05/kellen_moore_comfortable_with.html
Sorry for the off topic bump of my own post. But just noticed Kellen Moore is now in for the Cowboys and what do you know.... Dez Bryant is finally relevant again. I'm not watching the game but it's about time someone gave this kid a chance. I didn't realize he was no longer a Lion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Bills GM Doug Whaley said Tyrod Taylor deserves "a chance to prove it."

"He’s warranted enough for us to continue down the road to see if he can be the franchise guy of the future," Whaley said. This is the second half-hearted endorsement of Taylor in a month from Whaley, who also said Taylor has shown enough for the team to "keep trying" with him. Entering the final year of his deal, Whaley will be tasked with working out an extension with Taylor this offseason. Taylor threw for 3,035 yards and 20 touchdowns in 14 starts.

Source: Buffalo News

Jan 5 - 8:25 AM

Rotoworld:

"He’s warranted enough for us to continue down the road to see if he can be the franchise guy of the future," Whaley said. This is the second half-hearted endorsement of Taylor in a month from Whaley, who also said Taylor has shown enough for the team to "keep trying" with him. Entering the final year of his deal, Whaley will be tasked with working out an extension with Taylor this offseason. Taylor threw for 3,035 yards and 20 touchdowns in 14 starts.

Bad team obsession with the QB is rampant this time of year. He is fine, potentially special.

First year as a starter and he makes the pro bowl. He only had four years of film room, four preseasons, and 40 some odd passes that gave him more experience than a rook.

There's 52 other spots to look at on the roster. Move on.

Did ya see the Jets unsure of Fitz and contract stuff? Sign him, give him some more...whatever it was and then move on to other 52.

Both are just crrrrazy wastes of time IMO that the franchises even discuss what to do here. It's obvious ya got a good player.

So many of the perennial losers don't realize part of that is because they play musical chairs at QB, there's only 7 picks in the draft, and only so many players willing to come to a losing team in FA.

There should be more thought to 'is Manuel a distraction?' and if the GM can handle dumping him-his trade value is probably pretty low.

I've always thought Harvin was a distraction.

That D is real strong. Push the limit there, make it better.

Get Sammy some help.

Can always use a good CB.

They might need a better FB- as the NFL goes to these more mobile QBs and away from the FB, I often wonder if this is why they get 'killed' on some hits. Put a blocker that can run with em' back there. Might be too much reliance on the legs of the QB to buy time.

I'm not sure how you guys feel about their RBs, from afar they get hurt a bit too much.

In the cold, I have always thought the Bills need a mean big RB a hardhat FB and a total grunt type top level blocker TE. One drive of brute strength could set the tone for the whole day.

If they got a big hitting Safety- wouldn't WRs hate him in the cold?

All those tweeners that aren't fast enough to be OLB or big enough to be DEs but were good college players- how about giving the Ryan brothers some toys for their blitzes? They're probably UDFAs.

Always OL

There's ten thousand other thoughts this team should have that aren't Tyrod Taylor.

Improve, don't tinker don't rebuild don't rework a position, but improve. At 8-8 they seem to have been a whole lot closer than many believe.

They should. Not in the first or second round, but a mid-round pick is a smart move. We need a better backup QB.
A lot of NFL people think you always draft a QB or sign a rook UDFA. I forget what old GM started this theory but...it's fine. Just don't let it threaten TT.

I think Manuel should be moved and replaced.

Taylor takes some big hits, probably need that free agent that can step in and finish up a game or grab a start.

Nothing wrong with a 3rd string PS development guy either.

Rotoworld:

Bad team obsession with the QB is rampant this time of year. He is fine, potentially special.

First year as a starter and he makes the pro bowl. He only had four years of film room, four preseasons, and 40 some odd passes that gave him more experience than a rook.

There's 52 other spots to look at on the roster. Move on.

Did ya see the Jets unsure of Fitz and contract stuff? Sign him, give him some more...whatever it was and then move on to other 52.

Both are just crrrrazy wastes of time IMO that the franchises even discuss what to do here. It's obvious ya got a good player.

So many of the perennial losers don't realize part of that is because they play musical chairs at QB, there's only 7 picks in the draft, and only so many players willing to come to a losing team in FA.

There should be more thought to 'is Manuel a distraction?' and if the GM can handle dumping him-his trade value is probably pretty low.

I've always thought Harvin was a distraction.

That D is real strong. Push the limit there, make it better.

Get Sammy some help.

Can always use a good CB.

They might need a better FB- as the NFL goes to these more mobile QBs and away from the FB, I often wonder if this is why they get 'killed' on some hits. Put a blocker that can run with em' back there. Might be too much reliance on the legs of the QB to buy time.

I'm not sure how you guys feel about their RBs, from afar they get hurt a bit too much.

In the cold, I have always thought the Bills need a mean big RB a hardhat FB and a total grunt type top level blocker TE. One drive of brute strength could set the tone for the whole day.

If they got a big hitting Safety- wouldn't WRs hate him in the cold?

All those tweeners that aren't fast enough to be OLB or big enough to be DEs but were good college players- how about giving the Ryan brothers some toys for their blitzes? They're probably UDFAs.

Always OL

There's ten thousand other thoughts this team should have that aren't Tyrod Taylor.

Improve, don't tinker don't rebuild don't rework a position, but improve. At 8-8 they seem to have been a whole lot closer than many believe.
Huh? When you don't have a QB signed beyond next season, it's far from a crazy waste of time to discuss what to do there. It isn't as easy as just "sign him, give him some more", not in the NFL and with their cap situation.

They should. Not in the first or second round, but a mid-round pick is a smart move. We need a better backup QB.
A lot of NFL people think you always draft a QB or sign a rook UDFA. I forget what old GM started this theory but...it's fine. Just don't let it threaten TT.

I think Manuel should be moved and replaced.

Taylor takes some big hits, probably need that free agent that can step in and finish up a game or grab a start.

Nothing wrong with a 3rd string PS development guy either.
Manuel is pure garbage. They couldn't even get a 2050 7th round pick for that loser. Taylor's low QB rating for any game in 2015 was 74%, completed 63% of passes had a very good arm and hits guys in the numbers. Only 6 INTs on 380 passes. The biggest problem with this guy is potential injury running the ball.

I wouldn't even mind a first or second round pick if the value is there. Assuming its not, then definitely in the middle rounds.

I like Taylor a lot and I think he's probably our long-term guy, but a) some competition would probably help, b) Taylor is the type who is likely to get hurt more often than most, and c) good QBs always have trade value.

I wouldn't even mind a first or second round pick if the value is there. Assuming its not, then definitely in the middle rounds.

I like Taylor a lot and I think he's probably our long-term guy, but a) some competition would probably help, b) Taylor is the type who is likely to get hurt more often than most, and c) good QBs always have trade value.
No matter how you slice it a QB in the first or second round doesn't make any sense. Unless they just think Taylor's not any good but i have a hard time seeing how they would come to that conclusion.

Disagree. They have other positions of need, and I'm sure they'll find value at one of them. RT, RG, DT, LE, LB - a first round pick of any of them would be fine. QB? No.

As an Eagles fan, I have to  :lmao:  at the way Bradford's extension seems to have done a Heart of Gold on the space-time continuum that is mid-range QB salary expectations this off-season.

You just know that Taylor's agent is telling him "worst case, you just gotta bet on yourself" and he can get him four years at $20M per, while at the very same time Doug Whaley is telling ownership to just be patient and they'll be able to sign T-Mobile to a Foles-type, low-risk type of arrangement.

Really?   I'll admit to being a Taylor owner in dynasty so maybe my judgement is clouded but I'm not buying it.

Last season, it looked like the Bills found their guy. Tyrod Taylor is 26 years old. In his first season as a starter, he completed 63.7 percent of his passes at 8.0 yards per attempt, with 20 touchdowns and six interceptions. He posted a 99.4 passer rating, by far the best of any of that aforementioned group. His 5.3 touchdown percentage and 1.6 interception percentage also led that group for a decent margin.

Really?   I'll admit to being a Taylor owner in dynasty so maybe my judgement is clouded but I'm not buying it.

Last season, it looked like the Bills found their guy. Tyrod Taylor is 26 years old. In his first season as a starter, he completed 63.7 percent of his passes at 8.0 yards per attempt, with 20 touchdowns and six interceptions. He posted a 99.4 passer rating, by far the best of any of that aforementioned group. His 5.3 touchdown percentage and 1.6 interception percentage also led that group for a decent margin.
Same here. I think Bills are going to make huge mistake if they play this out like they don't care for Tyrod. I think they want to have him cheap for one year and then test their luck if they have found what they are searching for? If Tyrod happens to be the guy (IMO he is), they have to really pay him, so that the "Oswailer"-saga won't be their next year thing.

So, if Tyrod plays like I think he will play, Bills are doing  a huge mistake! Even if they draft a QB, the chance that they will find a better one are slim?

The Bills are kind of damned if they do, damned if they don't.  They're up against the cap as it is, and they have several key free agents they'll need to address next offseason.  They don't really have much of a choice but to let him play it out and see what happens (assuming he isn't willing to sign a modest extension, which seems unlikely).

12 team 1QB league. Found someone who liked him more than me and was able to sell him for essentially a 2017 1st. Very fortunate obviously, but I think you could get a late first/early second for him. I think it's time to sell.

I think the Bills are just covering their asses looking for another QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd sell at that price too. I didn't get to watch much of the Bills but it seemed
like T Taylor stared down his WR's.  I like the guy and have him stashed on
two dynasty teams but the leash isn't long.

12 team 1QB league. Found someone who liked him more than me and was able to sell him for essentially a 2017 1st. Very fortunate obviously, but I think you could get a late first/early second for him. I think it's time to sell.

I think the Bills are just covering their asses looking for another QB.
I used to play in a 1QB league in which QBs got 6 rush yds per point and 9 points per rush TD.  If those are your settings, I could maybe, maybe, justify someone paying a bottom-3 first-rounder or so for TT.  But in most leagues that's an absurd overpay IMO.

Nothing against T-Mobile, mind you - there just aren't many 1QB 12-teamers where QBs past the top 8 should carry much value at all.

Every leagues different. How many you start is obviously the biggest factor in determining positional value, but the disparity between how many teams and how many startable QBs is another big factor. Deeper than average benches and a handful of teams with 4-5 QBs has created a demand in this league. I don't think that's uncommon in 25+ player dyno rosters.

I think top 8-12 QBs in that situation are worth roughly a 2nd. Gotta find the right owner for better than that. 

Tyrod Taylor does not think the Bills need to "open up" the offense.

He does think the offense can "grow" in OC Greg Roman's second season, but that does not necessarily mean Taylor will see a spike in passing attempts. Buffalo had the most successful running game in the league last season, and if anything they have a stronger running back group this year. Taylor played well off the ground game, so any "growth" in the offense would likely involve getting him more opportunities to push the ball downfield off play action. Taylor posted a top-five adjusted yards per attempt average last season and 14 of his 20 passing touchdowns came from outside the red zone.

Source: buffalobills.com 
May 21 - 9:37 AM

ABC Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia believes Tyrod Taylor has made important strides this offseason.
Buscaglia — one of the best in the business — prefaces that it's still early, but thinks the Bills "have to be incredibly optimistic about Taylor’s potential progress as they get closer to training camp." Buscaglia's report comes on the heels of the Buffalo News calling Taylor "more in command" of the offense this offseason. Betting on himself in a contract year, Taylor could earn a ton of money if he improves on last year's inaugural starting campaign.

Source: ABC Buffalo 
Jun 14 - 6:13 PM

I think it will plain stupid for Bills not to do long term contract with Tyrod. If he plays well enough the price will only go up and it might be that they have to pay double the amount at the end of the year. Who knows, he might do the Oswailer and join a team that pays more. I would not gamble on QB situation when Tyrod has been the only QB that has looked good with Bills for a long long time. 

I was just re-looking at the game where he will the Bills to beat the Titans last year. The only offense he didn't have was a grand total of like 24 yards. Lebeau's D totally smothered them and in the end he took over.

One game doesn't make a career but, Buffalo better keep in mind that they're a cold weather team, not near a major city, that struggles to attract free agents. When's the last time they attracted a big name and won some bidding duel? 

They got Percy, when few wanted him, for his ability to take over a game. Why don't they see that with Taylor? And the other thing is he has a rapport with the receivers.

Tell me again about the Syracuse guy that needs a chance.

I'll make a prediction right now. If they mess this up, they'll have Geno Smith as their starter in 2017.

Agree with the last 2 posters. Tyrod was a well above average QB for fantasy and NFL last year. The Bills are playing with fire. Tyrod was basically prime Mike Vick reincarnated. He's a perfect fit for what the Bills want to do and seemed to have a nice connection with the WR they gave up so much to get. 

Meh, it's the same tactic that the Redskins are playing with Kirk Cousins.

"Sure, you had a good year in 2015.  Now prove to me that it wasn't a fluke." 

If he plays well, then he's easily worth what he will command next offseason.  If he founders, then they didn't just hamstring themselves for 5 years with a bad contract.

Yeah in today's flukey NFL I don't see a problem with teams wanting to see it twice.  It seems like the risk (having to give out an even bigger contract) is worth it given what could go bad (giving out an almost as big contract to a dud).

Users who are viewing this thread