What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tyson Bagent, CHI (1 Viewer)

LawFitz

Footballguy
Time to fire up a thread for Son of Travis...

Single-QB leaguers move right along, this thread is not for you (yet). Dual-QB and Superflex besties, OTOH, let's chat about the all-time NCAA passing TD leader who is about to get his first NFL start tomorrow morning.

Youtube highlights display a very athletic/mobile QB with a suboptimal, but not terrible arm. He throws with touch and decent accuracy, and most importantly, very well while moving.

Oh, and his dad is a HOF professional arm wrestler. 💪

Last edited by a moderator:
What a story this kid has...

Picked him up in my SF in the pre-season to stash on the taxi squad, I’ll cheer for the kid but he did not look good in his limited play so far.

Picked him up in my SF in the pre-season to stash on the taxi squad, I’ll cheer for the kid but he did not look good in his limited play so far.
I wouldn't recommend starting him, but I don't think he brings down the value of his FF teammates. He may actually increase their value.

Jeremy Fowler
Few #Bears QB notes before kickoff:

*Justin Fields working toward return as soon as Week 8, per sources. Much depends on ability to grip football, which could take time, but Fields ‘determined’ to make quickest return possible.
*Tyson Bagent impressed Bears early with acumen, football curiosity. Feeling among some there that he could stick a long time in the league. Bears hope he shocks a few people today.

Mike Garafolo
Surprised they didn’t go to O’Connell sooner. Tough loss for the #Raiders. On the flip side, Tyson Bagent gets a huge win in his first career start for the #Bears. Smart, solid football from the undrafted D-II kid today.

Gregg Rosenthal
Tyson Bagent did good work today. Nothing flashy but 8-year careers were built on less

I thought the kid looked great for an undrafted DII rookie in his first start.

He looked better than Fields has during multiple games this year.

Side note: Raiders are bad. Real Bad without Jimmy G.

Long live the T-Bag era. Purdy 2.0? I'm being a little facetious, but man did Bagent exceed expectations today.

Jimmy G is pretty much the definition of a league average QB, but boy Hoyer/O'Connell make him look like Drew Brees.

Listen to the post game interview. IMO he doesn't even believe that he belongs on this stage. I'll be rooting for him, but I seriously doubt if a majority of the top 25 college teams who take him as their QB.

I think he’s pretty much nailing down his backup role to whichever QB the bears draft next year.
Would be cool to see him earn a long term starting gig but that seems unlikely.

I don’t see why it would seem unlikely if Bagent has games like he did yesterday that he would not be in mix to start next year.

He did what Justin Fields has struggled to do throughout his short career - win.

There is zero doubt he knows he belongs, you could see it in his moxie. His “Aw shucks” attitude in interviews shows me someone who doesn’t want to publicly rock the boat regarding a potential qb controversy.

Bears need to let him play a bit - there is something here. And if he leads them on a winning streak? Having two solid first rounders including the likely 1 from Carolina AND qb is already settled for next year? They can get a haul for number 1 again and keep accumulating talent.

I don’t see why it would seem unlikely if Bagent has games like he did yesterday that he would not be in mix to start next year.
I’m presuming the bears have either Caleb or Derrick on their team next year.
If somehow both picks fall outside the top 5 and they decide to move on from Fields I guess it’s possible.

I think he’s pretty much nailing down his backup role to whichever QB the bears draft next year.
Would be cool to see him earn a long term starting gig but that seems unlikely.
Local guy probably said it the best. If a vet gave you that outing as a backup QB a fan base would be thrilled. Because he is a rookie and its the Bears fan base, we're going to overhype it. However this kid did show he can play in this league and may end up being a high end backup for years to come.

Getting pulled for Peterman to throw a 60 yard hail mary is probably why he will never be a full time starter.

He is not in the mix to start next year. 1/3 of the passes Bagent took were behind the line of scrimmage, 1/2 were less than 10 yards beyond the line, 4 were between 10 and 15 yards and non >20 yards downfield. If he has more than a few starts in a backup role, DCs will quickly figure out how to defend that nonsense. He solidified his spot as the #2, but the lack of arm strength will keep him from starting in the NFL.

He is not in the mix to start next year. 1/3 of the passes Bagent took were behind the line of scrimmage, 1/2 were less than 10 yards beyond the line, 4 were between 10 and 15 yards and non >20 yards downfield. If he has more than a few starts in a backup role, DCs will quickly figure out how to defend that nonsense. He solidified his spot as the #2, but the lack of arm strength will keep him from starting in the NFL.
Let’s see a string of games before we write him off - as a Packers fan I can tell you that arm strength means nothing if you can’t deliver an accurate ball. Jordan Love is a train wreck.

The league is littered with starters that lack arm strength - if teams figure Bagent out in the next 3 or 4 games then maybe he is just a backup. Or maybe he continues to put up good numbers and runs the offense the way it’s meant to be run.

As a packer fan I hope he is terrible - I just see something.

Does everyone feel like they have seen enough to evaluate his arm strength? I certainly don’t feel that way. What I have seen is a qb who is comfortable operating on schedule and pulling the trigger immediately on throws that require it. Fields often hesitates in those situations. When the play breaks down he is a very savvy runner who can move the chains. Until he shows me his huge weakness, which may be arm strength, I won’t rule out his potential to be the Bears long-term starter.

I see more than adequate arm strength if the rest of his game continues to look this solid. Poise, accuracy, mobility, vision look well above par.

Does everyone feel like they have seen enough to evaluate his arm strength? I certainly don’t feel that way. What I have seen is a qb who is comfortable operating on schedule and pulling the trigger immediately on throws that require it. Fields often hesitates in those situations. When the play breaks down he is a very savvy runner who can move the chains. Until he shows me his huge weakness, which may be arm strength, I won’t rule out his potential to be the Bears long-term starter.
Those speed outs for a first on third downs were crisp. I can't even remember the last time the Bears had a QB look good throwing a pass that 90% of the NFL has mastered.

Leads the league in completion % :towelwave:

Bears HC Matt Eberflus said Tyson Bagent is expected to start in Week 8 against the Chargers.

With Justin Fields (thumb) considered doubtful for the week, Eberflus has decided to formally announce Bagent as the team’s Week 8 starter. Bagent led the Bears to a 30-12 win over the Raiders in his first career start, throwing for 162 yards and a touchdown while adding another 24 yards on the ground. The rookie UDFA will now get another start against the AFC West, as he prepares to face a Chargers defense fresh off allowing Patrick Mahomes to throw for 424/4. Bagent can be left off the streaming radar in 1QB leagues and is a risky bet in 2QB/superflex leagues.

JT O'Sullivan is a fan...

JTO got Mike Nolan fired in SF. He was so bad that he embarrassed Denise York, the owner.

He had to be replaced by Shaun Hill. In Mike Martz's offense. He was so bad that he killed Mike Martz's career.

JTO got Mike Nolan fired in SF. He was so bad that he embarrassed Denise York, the owner.

He had to be replaced by Shaun Hill. In Mike Martz's offense. He was so bad that he killed Mike Martz's career.
Your point? Dude played 9 years in the league. You've gotta know a thing or two about quarterbacking to stay in the league for that long.

Your point? Dude played 9 years in the league. You've gotta know a thing or two about quarterbacking to stay in the league for that long.
Are you sure we are talking about the same JTO? Who according to PFR has only played in the NFL four seasons, played 17 games within those four seasons, and only had 8 starts with a 2-6 record when he played with the 49ers.

I remember that season with the 49ers. He would be sitting on the sideline between drives by himself with a terrified look on his face. At least he got Mike Nolan fired mid-season, I can thank him for that at least.

Are you sure we are talking about the same JTO? Who according to PFR has only played in the NFL four seasons, played 17 games within those four seasons, and only had 8 starts with a 2-6 record when he played with the 49ers.

I remember that season with the 49ers. He would be sitting on the sideline between drives by himself with a terrified look on his face. At least he got Mike Nolan fired mid-season, I can thank him for that at least.

He posted stats in 4 seasons. He was employed by a team in the NFL for 9 seasons or parts of seasons.

He posted stats in 4 seasons. He was employed by a team in the NFL for 9 seasons or parts of seasons.

I knew a guy who was a QC coach with the Bucs for four seasons, he went on as a producer for a production company I worked with. Still was employed in the NFL. We had many a disccusion over Alex Smith vs Colin Kaepernick. In fact I was working with him the day Kaepernick had to take over. I was pro Kaepernick in that argument. That was a interesting day to say the least.

Ken Dorsey was another 49er QB who was not any good. Now look at where he is at. Trent Dilfer was another, and we all know about him.

It still doesn't discount the fact that JTO was so bad with the 49ers that he helped get the head coach fired. No one can deny this, it happened. Sure he might be solid as a YouTube content creator, many are when it comes to analysis, but whatever time he spent in the NFL still doesn't add up to Trent Dilfer.

I’m rolling with him due to injuries. Just hoping for double digits
Howell vs the Eagles who have done much vs QB's the last 4 weeks or so or T Bag Secret Bagent Man vs the worst ranked pass D Chargers are my choices for SF QB2. All rankings say Howell, as of now I'm going with Bagent.

I knew a guy who was a QC coach with the Bucs for four seasons, he went on as a producer for a production company I worked with. Still was employed in the NFL. We had many a disccusion over Alex Smith vs Colin Kaepernick. In fact I was working with him the day Kaepernick had to take over. I was pro Kaepernick in that argument. That was a interesting day to say the least.

Ken Dorsey was another 49er QB who was not any good. Now look at where he is at. Trent Dilfer was another, and we all know about him.

It still doesn't discount the fact that JTO was so bad with the 49ers that he helped get the head coach fired. No one can deny this, it happened. Sure he might be solid as a YouTube content creator, many are when it comes to analysis, but whatever time he spent in the NFL still doesn't add up to Trent Dilfer.
Back to the OP's point, JT's analysis of Bagent's week 7 game was positive. He saw a lot to like within the parameters of the offense and, as a complete layman, I agree with his assessment. That's the point and it's frankly quite irrelevant that he was bad in San Fran. Besides, JT was signed on a vet minimum deal that season along with Shaun Hill. If anyone's to blame, it's the GM for passing off that QB room as NFL competitive.

Back to the OP's point, JT's analysis of Bagent's week 7 game was positive. He saw a lot to like within the parameters of the offense and, as a complete layman, I agree with his assessment. That's the point and it's frankly quite irrelevant that he was bad in San Fran. Besides, JT was signed on a vet minimum deal that season along with Shaun Hill. If anyone's to blame, it's the GM for passing off that QB room as NFL competitive.

Thx. This was a classic example of a huge problem nowadays in society, which is the lazy way people try to kill the messenger (JTO sucked as an NFL QB, oh wait, he's not trying to be an NFL QB right now),

Rather than the message itself (Tyler Bagent's kid actually looked decent in his first NFL start, especially being a D2 undrafted rookie).

Besides, we can guarantee the guy knows more about QBing in the NFL than 99% of the posters here. Even if he wasn’t good himself. There’s a reason many of the great coaches played the game but generally didn’t excel. (My current favorite HC and a key rival aside).

I would imagine I'm the only one crazy enough to start Bagent this week. Not feeling good about Howell going against the Eagles, taking a shot with Bagent facing the Chargers worst pass D in the league.

Well I guess we can wait with baited breath to see how JTO breaks down Bagent's 2 INT game loss to one of his one his own many during his 2-6 record as a stater in 2008.

I would imagine I'm the only one crazy enough to start Bagent this week. Not feeling good about Howell going against the Eagles, taking a shot with Bagent facing the Chargers worst pass D in the league.
I hope you didn't do this.

I still like what I see with the kid. Teammates speak highly of him and say he has a ton of confidence in the huddle. He may never develop into a full time starter, but having him as a backup looks pretty solid right now.

The OL is real bad. The OC is questionable at best. Its still tough to get a good read on him. Broadcast crew highlighted how he can look off defenders in the passing game. That's a skill Fields really doesn't have and it shows.

Users who are viewing this thread