What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Desmond Ridder, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Falcons HC Arthur Smith said Desmond Ridder will start in Week 5 against the Texans.

Despite all of social media calling for Ridder’s benching in Week 4 against the Jaguars, Smith stuck by his guy through what was arguably the worst start of his career. Ridder took four sacks, threw two interceptions, and led the Falcons to just seven points on the afternoon, looking overmatched throughout much of the day. Despite a willing-and-able veteran in Taylor Heinicke behind him, Smith is willing to stick with Ridder for at least one more week. However, if he struggles in Week 5, it will be interesting to see if Smith opts to start Heinicke in Week 6 against the Commanders, who Heinicke spent the previous three seasons with.

Falcons HC Arthur Smith said Desmond Ridder will start in Week 5 against the Texans.

Despite all of social media calling for Ridder’s benching in Week 4 against the Jaguars, Smith stuck by his guy through what was arguably the worst start of his career. Ridder took four sacks, threw two interceptions, and led the Falcons to just seven points on the afternoon, looking overmatched throughout much of the day. Despite a willing-and-able veteran in Taylor Heinicke behind him, Smith is willing to stick with Ridder for at least one more week. However, if he struggles in Week 5, it will be interesting to see if Smith opts to start Heinicke in Week 6 against the Commanders, who Heinicke spent the previous three seasons with.
Not surprising, although I can totally see Heinicke taking the field in the second half next week - or so I hope as a Pitts/London owner.

AtlantaFalcons.com’s Scott Bair believes Falcons head coach Arthur Smith won’t have a “quick hook” with Desmond Ridder.

Ridder has been among the worst starting quarterbacks through four weeks. He has three touchdowns and three picks, and the league’s third lowest completion rate over expected. Only Zach Wilson and Daniel Jones have a lower EPA per drop back than Ridder. “Pulling him for good in Week 5 would be surprising, and maybe a little hasty, if there’s a commitment to developing Ridder for the long-term,” Bair said, adding that he “could see a scenario where Ridder struggles and Taylor Heinicke would get called in from the bullpen to give the Falcons a spark in a particular game.” Heinicke’s willingness to throw into tight windows could probably lead to more production for Drake London and Kyle Pitts, neither of whom is fantasy relevant with Ridder under center.

People keep writing stuff like this and Arthur has like zero inclination to pull him.
He's started like four last year and four this year. He looks like a rookie- what a surprise.

He was asked if he'd put Heinicke in for a crucial situation and responded doesn't Ridder need that experience?

Watch any press conference. Heck he's got a weekly appearance on Sirius, catch that. He's shown absolutely nothing to say he's benching Ridder.

Pitts fans have been saying this too. After Mariota, some of them SEEM to think they'll replace every QB til they find one that throws more often to him. It's weird.

Guy hasn't even played a full season

We knew already this is what he is, but this is so bad. Not improving at all. Doesn't lead his receiver at all, and his throws are just lackadaisical and with the game on the line, twice.

This guy sucks. Ultimate fools gold for Fantasy. Falcons better not defer any kickoffs anytime soon. They need a lead or else they are toast. Special teams also killed them. The yards gained by Commanders was like 250 yards and they still won. These ints sucked.

Unfortunately there is no incentive for Arthur to make a QB change with the team sitting at 3-3 in a very winnable division.
I think winning more games with Heinicke than he would with Ridder is plenty incentive. But benching his appointed starter this early in the season would be an admission of failure in his mind (rather than the willingness to adjust that good coaches do).

Unfortunately there is no incentive for Arthur to make a QB change with the team sitting at 3-3 in a very winnable division.
I think winning more games with Heinicke than he would with Ridder is plenty incentive. But benching his appointed starter this early in the season would be an admission of failure in his mind (rather than the willingness to adjust that good coaches do).

Is this a given? Heinicke isn't good either. They see these guys in practice. If the difference was meaningful Heinicke would already be playing

Is this a given? Heinicke isn't good either. They see these guys in practice. If the difference was meaningful Heinicke would already be playing
Heinicke isn't amazing but he's shown more with his time with Washington than Ridder has with Atlanta. He's actually looked like a competent QB at times. It's not exactly a given but there are plenty of instances where the backup stepped in and did a better job than the incumbent.

London and Pitts have started to do some stuff the last couple games.

Ridder is throwing the ball a lot.

Maybe he is improving?

Yes I know he threw 3 interceptions in his most recent game. Thats ungood.

But maybe he is getting better for him anyways?

At least he didnt forget his keys and cut his leg open kicking in a patio glass window?

I see the Pitts fans came out to act irrationally again.
How does anyone have a prob with London's game? That's absurd.
Ridder hasn't even played a full season of games. Arthur challenged him to play better and he has back to back 300 yard games.

Many seem to forget how we give young QBs time to develop and often have totally unreasonable expectations. The guy deserves flack- three INTs is three INTs- but judge him as a rookie.

Heinicke isn't amazing but he's shown more with his time with Washington than Ridder has with Atlanta. He's actually looked like a competent QB at times. It's not exactly a given but there are plenty of instances where the backup stepped in and did a better job than the incumbent.
Having watched Heinicke in every game for my WAS team, don't hold your breath for him to put up better numbers. He can definitely float some weak armed loopers towards players, but it's usually not the ones wearing the same color jersey. A career 7:5 TD:INT ratio is not good. And he's lucky it was that. I forget the PFF stat but he had a crazy number of passes that should have been intercepted. he plays hard but he lacks NFL level skills

Maybe he is improving?

At least he didnt forget his keys and cut his leg open kicking in a patio glass window?
I would like to see it on the road. I have no confidence in him rallying the Falcons outside.

Maybe he is improving?

I would like to see it on the road. I have no confidence in him rallying the Falcons outside.
I mostly just joking with my previous post and I dont really think he is a long term solution for the Falcons or any team. He is likely destined ti become a back up QB and who knows? Maybe if he hangs around long enough he plays at the best he can when he turns 28 or something if he gets another chance to start at that point of his career?

We have seen that happen at times for QBs like Case Keenum and so on, although them playing well is usually short lived.

That said I dont think Mariota or Heinicke are better options for the Falcons right now, so it doesnt seem crazy to me that they are sticking with him right now and giving him a chance to develop until they do find a better option.

Plus, Heinecke's main weakness is his arm strength, and the Falcons almost never throw deep, so why should that matter here?

Plus, Heinecke's main weakness is his arm strength, and the Falcons almost never throw deep, so why should that matter here?

Heh. That's a funny shot at the Falcons' offense.

That said, he can't throw a basic intermediate out, which is a long throw. All the defenses will do is basically play within the hashes and stuff the box if Heinicke comes in the game, which is no bueno for the run game.

Heinicke is not the answer to Ridder. It's like the Jets. There's nobody on the roster who is the answer. You're basically starting a backup/rookie QB out there no matter what, and the offense suffers.

Taylor Heinicke is the perfect guy to run out there when you're down 21-0 and the other team has no preparation for his game. He'll make a few swashbuckling throws that some dumb announcer will get all excited about, but in the end, once teams have a chance to adjust, the guy is just screwed because he doesn't have the arm to do it. He's got the headspace and mentality, but the flesh is weak in that regard.

He'll crush ya a light beer on the plane ride home after a victory, though.

Anybody who points to any yardage stats as progress for this guy isn’t watching the games. He throws the worst picks imaginable. Up there with Mac Jones. Costing them games.

Anybody who points to any yardage stats as progress for this guy isn’t watching the games. He throws the worst picks imaginable. Up there with Mac Jones. Costing them games.
I am not watching the games.

Its still progress compared to not completing as many passes while still throwing interceptions like he was in previous games though.

Maybe this is just a product of the quality of defenses he is facing rather than Ridder improving. I dont know.

At least London and Pitts have been more productive the last 2 games than they were in the games prior to that. Its something.

In my 32 team league Ridder is QB18 between TLaw and Stafford. He is presenting great value so far for fantasy football.

He cost them at least 2 TDS and a FG. Game never should have been that close. Kid has flashes with a live arm, but his awareness is dreadful.

Between Ridder and Baker the QB play was almost worse than the Bears/Raiders game. If these teams had better than average QBs this game would have been unreal because the talent at each team's skill positions would have out up huge numbers (well, Tampa's WRs at least).

Falcons HC Arthur Smith said, “I promise you, I’ll come in on Wednesday and tell you who’s starting,” when asked about Desmond Ridder starting in Week 9 against the Vikings.

Smith was a bit all over the place in his Monday presser, citing Ridder’s health as the team’s top concern while also failing to commit to Ridder as the team’s starter if healthy. Ridder was cleared to return in Sunday’s Week 8 loss to the Titans, but Smith opted to keep veteran Taylor Heinicke in to finish things out. Smith cited Ridder’s health as the reason for not letting him go back in, but when a quarterback turns the ball over 12 times in eight games, it’s fair to question the legitimacy of that claim. We’ll know by Wednesday whether or not it will be Ridder or Heinicke taking the reins in Week 9.

Falcons HC Arthur Smith said the team will evaluate the QB position this week and said his top concern is the health of Desmond Ridder.
Ridder left Sunday’s contest against the Titans to be evaluated for a concussion but cleared protocol. Despite being cleared to return, Smith opted to ride with Taylor Heinicke the rest of the way, citing health concerns as the reasons for keeping Ridder out. Playing in relief of Ridder, Heinicke threw for 175 yards and one touchdown while completing 12-of-21 passes and leading multiple scoring drives. When asked if Ridder would start in Week 9 if healthy, Smith said, “I gotta swee where he’s at, that’s the best I can give you.” Ridder’s performance through eight weeks warrants a benching if Smith opts to make the switch. It will be interesting to see which quarterback receives first team reps when they take the practice field on Wednesday.

Can’t imagine he starts another game for this team other than through being pushed into duty via injury.

Falcons beat writer D. Orlando Ledbetter said the team doesn’t “plan to close any quarterback doors at [the] NFL scouting combine.”

It sounds like the Falcons are willing to do anything they deem necessary to secure a top rookie in this year’s draft if that’s the route they ultimately decide to take. Currently holding the No. 8 overall pick, the Falcons could have enough draft capital to trade into the top three if that’s what’s required to secure their guy. Former third-round pick Desmond Ridder has played in 19 career games since being drafted by the Falcons in 2022, throwing for 3544-14-12 while adding another 257 yards and five touchdowns on the ground. At this stage in his career, Ridder looks more like a serviceable backup than a quarterback who is going to change the trajectory of an. With a chance to potentially draft a franchise quarterback in this April’s draft, the Falcons are smartly keeping the door open for whoever that may be.

Falcons beat writer D. Orlando Ledbetter said the team doesn’t “plan to close any quarterback doors at [the] NFL scouting combine.”

It sounds like the Falcons are willing to do anything they deem necessary to secure a top rookie in this year’s draft if that’s the route they ultimately decide to take. Currently holding the No. 8 overall pick, the Falcons could have enough draft capital to trade into the top three if that’s what’s required to secure their guy. Former third-round pick Desmond Ridder has played in 19 career games since being drafted by the Falcons in 2022, throwing for 3544-14-12 while adding another 257 yards and five touchdowns on the ground. At this stage in his career, Ridder looks more like a serviceable backup than a quarterback who is going to change the trajectory of an. With a chance to potentially draft a franchise quarterback in this April’s draft, the Falcons are smartly keeping the door open for whoever that may be.
There's a big of a leap in there.
"Not closing doors" shouldn't become "willing to do anything to get a top QB."

The Falcons have been very careful in how they speak. They're very much aware they have a talented team and a QB could propel them to the playoffs.

I don't at all think they've said no to anything- as stated- but I think a veteran like Cousins is the preferred route.

I always say- a rookie QB usually means losing a couple years til they get comfy. That team is near ready now. Their well rated OL players of 2022 played like poo and injuries hit the defensive line hard. Ya can't lose the trenches every game and be successful.

It is very possible they're a good team, a top team even in 2024.

There's also those theories we learned with the former Redskins of bringing in too many new faces and them not gelling. The Falcons recently had a ton of cap and spent it.

A lot of gripes with Arthur's play calls aided by simply switching the staff.

There's concern among Falcons fans of a rebuild for a new staff but they've been downplaying that often so it seems like they're probably staying as is with the roster, just usual backups and a few new faces.

They kept their GM and praised him.

None of this, to me, says let's back track and lose a couple years. I think "we won't say no to Jayden Daniels" (whomever) is guarded response to almost getting Lamar and Wilson and whoever else they were rumored to.

It's doable.
They CAN draft a QB and bank on him, but that'll probably also involve cutting some older guys and making a shift in plans work.

Someone like Cousins is very likely their hope.

Users who are viewing this thread