What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racial profiling and discrimination thread (4 Viewers)

What I would love to hear is what happened from the manager that called the police but I am going to guess he or she has been told by the company to stay quiet. Again...they don’t want to lose business from the angry mob. Even if they’re right here, really they’re not (in that regard). 

What I would love to hear is what happened from the manager that called the police but I am going to guess he or she has been told by the company to stay quiet. Again...they don’t want to lose business from the angry mob. Even if they’re right here, really they’re not (in that regard). 
Starbucks employees nearly 250,000 people - many who are minorities.  It's amazing that people want to boycott the whole company because of the actions of a single employee and quite possibly jeopardize the jobs of people who had absolutely nothing to do with this (again, including minorities).

The comments by Donkey Derp make me very glad that squistion started this thread. 

Also, squis, that tweet by Toure is dead on and an extremely good point. It’s something that never occurs to posters like jon mx and others who constantly argue that all these people need to do is follow police instructions- that all too often when police get involved with black men, there is the threat of death. That’s a reality they have to live with every day of their lives and something that a lot of people just don’t get. 

The comments by Donkey Derp make me very glad that squistion started this thread. 

Also, squis, that tweet by Toure is dead on and an extremely good point. It’s something that never occurs to posters like jon mx and others who constantly argue that all these people need to do is follow police instructions- that all too often when police get involved with black men, there is the threat of death. That’s a reality they have to live with every day of their lives and something that a lot of people just don’t get. 
:lmao:  great post from the guy who said life was good because he just bought baseball tickets.

It does not concern you that the title of this thread and statements in the OP are obviously lies that are spun up to stir up hate?  Give me a factual and truthful example without the BS and I would not call them out.   

It does not concern you that the title of this thread and statements in the OP are obviously lies that are spun up to stir up hate?  Give me a factual and truthful example without the BS and I would not call them out.   
That's all @squistion does here.  He ignores facts and spins things so it fits his narrative.  He's a troll.  It's amazing so many people can't see that.  

No one has sais that she edited out earlier portions of the tape if you are suggesting that

Witnesses at the Starbucks don't contradict her account of what happened and at least one other witness confirms it.
How would anybody know if she did or didnt? How do we know she didnt record in several short videos? 

She doesnt contradict the police account at all btw.

No they aren't and that was not the intent.

The title asked the question of whether they were arrested for  waiting for a friend (see the question mark at the end of the sentence?). And it appears from my perspective that they were.

Last edited by a moderator:
No they aren't and that was not the intent.
They are both absolute lies.  They might have been arrested while waiting for a friend/client, but that is much different than saying they were arrested for waiting for a friend.   I am pretty sure English is your first language and you really understand the difference.  

They are both absolute lies.  They might have been arrested while waiting for a friend/client, but that is much different than saying they were arrested for waiting for a friend.   I am pretty sure English is your first language and you really understand the difference.  
jon - look again at the thread title, it asks a question, arrested at Philadelphia Starbucks for waiting for a friend? That is asking a question not making a statement of fact.

And you question my grasp of English (sheesh!).

:lmao:

Can't help yourself getting personal with people.  Frankly, you don't #### what occurs to other posters.  Just shut up sometimes.

How would anybody know if she did or didnt? How do we know she didnt record in several short videos? 

She doesnt contradict the police account at all btw.
Why would you think he cares about knowing all the facts before jumping to a conclusion that has already been predetermined?

I didn’t get personal with anyone. Nor do i go around telling others to shut up. 
Well when you say stuff like 'posters like jon_mx' and then makes absolute statements about all cases which clearly is not true, it is kind of personal.  Yes, there are cases like most likely this one which would not have eacalated had they simply followed orders from an officer.  That is different than all cases. 

jon - look again at the thread title, it asks a question, arrested at Philadelphia Starbucks for waiting for a friend? That is asking a question not making a statement of fact.

And you question my grasp of English (sheesh!).
1. There is no question mark in the body of the OP.

2.  The question mark really does not help anyways.   Like if I say 'Poster X has sex with animals?' you think the question mark really changes how inflammatory it is?

1. There is no question mark in the body of the OP.

2.  The question mark really does not help anyways.   Like if I say 'Poster X has sex with animals?' you think the question mark really changes how inflammatory it is?
It. Is. In. The. Thread. Title.

And asks the question which has been the crux of most of the discussion in this thread.

This is not like asking a question about a poster engaging in bestiality. Horrible false equivalency.

It. Is. In. The. Thread. Title.

And asks the question which has been the crux of most of the discussion in this thread.

This is not like asking a question about a poster engaging in bestiality. Horrible false equivalency.
"Video of two Black men being arrested for sitting at Starbucks sparks calls for boycott"

That is in the OP.  .

"Video of two Black men being arrested for sitting at Starbucks sparks calls for boycott"

That is in the OP.  .
Which is why the thread title asks the question:

Two black men arrested at Philadelphia Starbucks for waiting for a friend?

The thread title was noting that what was reported in the article was not being accepted as fact. If it had, the question mark would have been dropped.

My OP also notes:

We need more details on this but the information we have so far suggest the arrests were racially motivated.

squistion said:
It has not been established that they were actually asked to leave. Charges were later dropped for trespassing for "lack of evidence".
"ABC News spoke with the woman who shot the viral video. She said a barista, from behind the counter, shouted that the two men should make a purchase or leave."

Interesting to not that she also says this "and I guess I first noticed them when the two first cops — the bike cops — walked in"

Those statements dont really match up.

"ABC News spoke with the woman who shot the viral video. She said a barista, from behind the counter, shouted that the two men should make a purchase or leave."
Doesn’t every store have this policy?  I always bought a pack of gum when I had to use the bathroom at the 7-Eleven near my old house.  Otherwise, you force the store clerk to either ignore policy or look like a jerk.  Not very nice.

I find it kind of funny that the person who took this very short video that has none of the details has retweeted shaun king on several occasions well before this event. I find it funny because of how often we see shaun king tweets here from mostly one person.

I find it kind of funny that the person who took this very short video that has none of the details has retweeted shaun king on several occasions well before this event. I find it funny because of how often we see shaun king tweets here from mostly one person.
Who dat? :hophead:

Doesn’t every store have this policy?  I always bought a pack of gum when I had to use the bathroom at the 7-Eleven near my old house.  Otherwise, you force the store clerk to either ignore policy or look like a jerk.  Not very nice.
Seriously? Have you been to a Starbucks? People sit there for hours and have meetings and whatnot. 

You're not the only one who is glad about that.

Same thing at Panera. I've never understood this. 
RokNRoll conducted interviews there for free for hours (see his "this is my life" FFA thread) interviewing potential employees and didn't mention he was paying anything for holding the table - it was his de facto office.

So there is video out there showing a longer interaction. The problem is you cant hear squat, but it at least illustrates that the police were trying to get them to leave for a pretty long time before cuffing them. the longer video out there is like 8 minutes long and starts in the middle of discussion between officers and these two guys.

All the time.  I just figured they all bought something at some point.
Yea I've no idea. Obviously (or not obviously - you don't know me) I've never been to this Starbucks. But I have taken meetings at Starbucks in Austin and I don't drink coffee. So I don't usually get anything. 

But that's really the main question here, right? Well, I guess there are two:

• Does this Starbucks always require someone to buy something to stay in the coffee shop? Even once they say they are waiting for a their friend?
  • And could the cops have done anything to de-escalate the situation?
I don't know the answer to #1 and can't hear the conversation between the cops and these guys to answer #2.

Yea I've no idea. Obviously (or not obviously - you don't know me) I've never been to this Starbucks. But I have taken meetings at Starbucks in Austin and I don't drink coffee. So I don't usually get anything. 

But that's really the main question here, right? Well, I guess there are two:

• Does this Starbucks always require someone to buy something to stay in the coffee shop? Even once they say they are waiting for a their friend?
  • And could the cops have done anything to de-escalate the situation?
I don't know the answer to #1 and can't hear the conversation between the cops and these guys to answer #2.
I’ve never taken a meeting in a Starbucks without purchasing something or knowing someone I was with purchased something.  Seems like just common sense, or perhaps, common courtesy. To each their own though.

If Starbucks corporate doesn’t mind people coming in and using the bathrooms/store without a purchase they should really change their policy.  I don’t see any fault here on part of the employees or the police.  Once these guys refused to leave they knew the police would come, once the police arrived they then refused to leave. Ultimately, they got exactly what they wanted, arrested.

So there is video out there showing a longer interaction. The problem is you cant hear squat, but it at least illustrates that the police were trying to get them to leave for a pretty long time before cuffing them. the longer video out there is like 8 minutes long and starts in the middle of discussion between officers and these two guys.
All Starbucks wants is for you to at least order one cup of coffee to take up a booth....one cup and you can camp all day.

I’ve never taken a meeting in a Starbucks without purchasing something or knowing someone I was with purchased something.  Seems like just common sense, or perhaps, common courtesy. To each their own though.

If Starbucks corporate doesn’t mind people coming in and using the bathrooms/store without a purchase they should really change their policy.  I don’t see any fault here on part of the employees or the police.  Once these guys refused to leave they knew the police would come, once the police arrived they then refused to leave. Ultimately, they got exactly what they wanted, arrested.
I don't know how you can come to these conclusions. Seems like you are making a lot of assumptions without evidence.

They were asked to leave and refused and then refused to leave when the cops came.  They were either complete morons or looking to get arrested.
This is not the right story according to some. It’s the key piece of information in the debacle in my view. 

You have the freedom to put me on ignore.  Things will be so much easier if you stop being a hypocrite and ignoring facts to push a narrative.
And so do you. Yet you have spent this entire day attacking me and repeatedly asking the mods to lock this thread. If my posts or threads bother you that much, why do you continue unless it just some sick trolling on your part?

Henry Ford gave you this advice, I suggest you follow it:

You know, there’s a button to use so you don’t have to read what he posts.  And it doesn’t involve just saying horrible things to him. 
If you feel offended by his posts and wish to alert the moderators, there’s a button for that, too.  

The police chief is black.  There were more black police on scene than black people arrested.  It’s in one of the blackest cities in the country.  This is one of the most diverse and socially conscious companies in the world.  And people are still wondering how Trump became president.  

Users who are viewing this thread