What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (2 Viewers)

Set a new record for me today. I did a 5k in 33mins. This was on a treadmill but still is the fastest I have done a 5k. Tomorrow I will be hitting the elyptical and I hope to do 6 miles Saturday before going to the Dbacks/Dodgers game.
:moneybag: Nice job! Congrats on the time.

Sand said:
Why do I look like I run like a duck in that first pic?
A: Probably because you're heel striking! Notice how your leg is almost straight and you're about to land on your heel ...which then causes you to 'brake' a little as your body catches up to your leg and you roll through the stride. A great analogy I picked up from one running book was to imagine yourself pushing along on a scooter - your foot hits the ground mid-stride/mid-sole and allows a quick push-off. Zoom, zoom, zoom.eta: Contrast that pic with the later one where you're going slightly uphill ..forcing you to lift the leg for a firm, mid-sole plant and push. That one's looking good!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sand said:
I did happen to run into her before the start. Talk about distracting. There was one other who flew by me on the run, and I can't find her. Even hotter (dagnabit - musta been a relay).
:lmao: well done my friend! ______________________________

My update:

I got a good hill repeats (4) workout in yesterday totaling 6.5 miles. I most likely won't get another workout in until next Monday. I am the namesake of one of Texas A&M University's orientation camps (called Fish Camp; Fish are what we call our Freshman); and me and the family will be at the camp (Camp Pigskinliquor!) all weekend. With the kiddos in tow, I'm not sure if Mrs. Liquor and I will be able to get out for any runs. Hopefully I'll get in a lot of core work, and lunges. There is a pool there, so a long swim could be in my near future. Have a great weekend all!

Sand said:
A: Probably because you're heel striking! Notice how your leg is almost straight and you're about to land on your heel ...which then causes you to 'brake' a little as your body catches up to your leg and you roll through the stride. A great analogy I picked up from one running book was to imagine yourself pushing along on a scooter - your foot hits the ground mid-stride/mid-sole and allows a quick push-off. Zoom, zoom, zoom.eta: Contrast that pic with the later one where you're going slightly uphill ..forcing you to lift the leg for a firm, mid-sole plant and push. That one's looking good!!
I don't heel strike much (though at that point I may have been dragging my feet along the ground for all I know). In fact my wife always makes fun of me because when I run I am on my toes much more than most people - she says I look like a prancing pony. Pictures always seem to catch you in awkward poses.

Sand said:
I do the same thing, Sand. I've tried to correct it, but it's just one of those things; I run how I run, you know?! :kicksrock:

Sand said:
I do the same thing, Sand. I've tried to correct it, but it's just one of those things; I run how I run, you know?! :lmao:
:thumbdown:

Had kind of my first "bonk" today, but some good things came out of it.

Did 4 miles, and ended up starting out way too fast. Was doing 8:00 pace for the first 2.5 miles and then just hit a wall. Started to walk at the 2.75 mile mark, but then 2 things happened -- 1, I knew I was going to have to write about what happened in this thread and (2) now that I've actually signed up for a race, I was able to tell myself that my time in this a.m.'s run didn't matter, what mattered was finishing the run to be more ready for the race in Sept.

And so I started running again, and ended up doing an 8:19 pace for the entire run. But it hurt. And I realized that a couple of weeks ago, I did an 8:20 pace for the same run, feeling good enough to run the last mile in something like 7:45. So that made me realize I just need to go out a little slow for the first mile or so, no matter how good I feel, and then step it up after that, rather than go out too fast and collapse on the way in. My new motto: "Start out fast; come in last."

How did this fall to page 4?For the first time ever I broke the 11 min mile today :goodposting: I did 3.37 in 37 mins. Granted I did not break it by much but I broke it. I feel good remembering that my one and only 5k was done in 45 mins. So I am showing improvement.
I did this same run today in 35 mins. This puts me at 10:38 mile. I am creeping closer to that 10 min mile mark. I got out early today as the sun was coming up so heat was not as big a factor. I was out at 5:30 am. I did have a dog incident which is kind of funny. i was listening to Mettallica as I was running. About a block or two ahead of me I saw a dog come out of its yard. He looked at me and came straight at me with full sprint. With Mettallica blaring I decided to go full sprint at the dog. A game of chicken was on. As we closed in on each other I was determined to time it right and kick him in the head. I was so pumped with the music I may have seperated his head from his body. Luckily the dog chickened out and veered off. He passed me and spun around to get me from the back and I spun to kick him. I charged and was letting loose with F bombs and yelling at thim. The dog decided he did not want to mess with me and went back to his yard. I was hoping an owner would come out but no such luck.In hind sight I am glad I did not have to kick the dog. After all the tough guy talk I would have felt like a giant ### hole if I had to hurt the dog. He was doing what dogs do. :shrug:There is my report. I am heading up to Pheonix for the ballgame tonight. LAD@AZ Dbacks. Should be a good game. Last night each team hit players with pitches and there were hard tags. It may carry over to tonight. :shrug: :gang1: :gang2: I also did 5 miles on the elyptical hill climb program yesterday. I did it in an hour. Does anyone know why they have you pedal backwards on those things at certain intervals? I assume it is to work diferent muscles but it really hurts. :cry:

Funny stuff (jmcc), good stuff (Man and jmcc), and reassuring stuff (Sand). Sand, you're right about those pictures catching bad moments, but I mentioned the heel strike just in case. Good to know you 'prance!'

Followed Thursday's 8 miles with an easy 8 miles yesterday, then drove to a new trail for a 10 mile run this morning, pushing a bit too hard at 1/2-marathon pace again. Still targeting a longer run tomorrow.

Sand, you're right about those pictures catching bad moments, but I mentioned the heel strike just in case. Good to know you 'prance!'
Ya - at that point in my run I was just glad the legs were getting off the ground at all. Hell, I was having a hard time drinking without choking. Not to mention just getting water into my mouth. Ugly.On that note I did a 2 hard workouts yesterday - a 2400 yard swim where I really hit the intervals hard. Felt slow, but it was a good hard workout. I then went out and did a 4 mile run - a long run for me and the longest this year. The run was quite hilly (250 feet of climbing) with sharp rollers. Managed exactly 9'/mile - very happy with that. Even after the swim work the legs felt good and I climbed well. Had a good bit of gas at the end. I wasn't pushing, just trying to stay smooth and get through the distance. I am getting some shape.

BTW, I ran into a GREAT website for swimming. GREAT - as in every one of you tri-guys should be reading like no tomorrow.

Go here: http://www.swimsmooth.com/index.html

BTW, I ran into a GREAT website for swimming. GREAT - as in every one of you tri-guys should be reading like no tomorrow.

Go here: http://www.swimsmooth.com/index.html
Signed up and downloaded Mr. Swimsmooth!! I figure it can't hurt to try. Yesterday I had what can only be described as a completely miserable meltdown of a run - I just had nothing on what was supposed to be a 7 mile temp run (5 miles at 8:15 pace).

Did my warm-up mile and increased the pace then quickly realized I was laboring. Stopped to walk after only TWO more miles at 8:38 pace because my HR had been north of 180 for almost 3/4 of a mile (by comparison, on Wed my HR cleared 180 after about 1/2 of my 7:30 mile repeats!!). I ended up doing a slow 6.5 miles in total (including one more walking break).

The heat/humidity (I left for the run at 8am, probably later than I should have but still relatively early) was certainly a factor, but I believe I've officially entered a 4-6 week period where my asthma is barely controllable. This started probably 5 years ago when I was doing marathon training. Now every Aug/Sept I just have a real problem being able to keep my breath during exercise, even with the help of daily meds and my rescue inhaler (which I ALWAYS take proactively before I run). I didn't really feel like I couldn't draw enough air during the run, but my complete lack of energy is a pretty strong indicator.

I started a new x2 daily medication yesterday to see if that will help, and I still plan on getting out early tomorrow to attempt 17 at 9:30 - 10:00 pace.

In the afternoon I hit the pool and did 1100 yards, including a 600 yard stint which is the longest I've ever gone. So at least I was able to pull a positive out of the day!!

I hope everyone's runs/bikes/swims are much more positive than my run was!!

In the afternoon I hit the pool and did 1100 yards, including a 600 yard stint which is the longest I've ever gone. So at least I was able to pull a positive out of the day!!
Now go find someplace to do an OWS and watch how easy 1500 is once you don't have to stop every 25 yards to turn around...Congrats, BTW, on the new PR length!

Definite HTFU for me today. Was up at 5:30, but I was in charge of the Fox Cities Marathon training run this morning, and I was tied up with that until about 9:30. Met a buddy at 10:00, at which point it was already pushing 80 degrees and humid. Considered cutting it short, but toughed out 14 miles at an 8:24 pace that felt anything but easy. I wore my Fuel Belt, which holds about 32 ounces of water/Gatorade, but I was drinking so much that I had to stop twice to re-fill my bottles!! Also took four Endurolytes and a couple of Gu's. Got home, took a 15-minute ice bath, and then did yardwork for a couple of hours. Literally just sat down to relax for the first time today.

First FFB draft of the season tonight. Considered Michael Turner at #2, but I think I'm gonna go with MJD. I think Turner could score 20+ TDs this year, but I just can't get over his 41 total receiving yards last year vs. 565 for Jones-Drew.

Rest day tomorrow. Thank God. My body needs it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, guys!!!!!

Now go find someplace to do an OWS and watch how easy 1500 is once you don't have to stop every 25 yards to turn around...Congrats, BTW, on the new PR length!
Thanks, Sand! I went back today to the same pool, which is actually a 50yd length, and hit 800 in just over 21 minutes - slow, yes, but I was pretty happy I can go that far now. Ran into a friend who apparently used to coach youth swimming, and he gave me some really great pointers about my elbows, reaching, breathing, and my kicking. After a few lengths I felt like I was working on my golf game - as soon as I focused on one thing something else fell apart!! Still planning on the long run in the morning - it'll be about 72 degrees and 80% humidity. Slow and easy...

I went back today to the same pool, which is actually a 50yd length, and hit 800 in just over 21 minutes - slow, yes, but I was pretty happy I can go that far now. Ran into a friend who apparently used to coach youth swimming, and he gave me some really great pointers about my elbows, reaching, breathing, and my kicking. After a few lengths I felt like I was working on my golf game - as soon as I focused on one thing something else fell apart!!
And just like golf you should tackle one at a time. I'd start with breathing. If you are not breathing right you will be crippling yourself worse than anything else. Work on exhaling in the water completely. Most people think they do and really don't. I am guilty of this. Then work on the arm stroke. Remember that propulsion comes from pulling hard. I see so many new swimmers try to be smooth and barely pull through the water. After a decent swim workout your lats, shoulders and triceps should feel the effort.On a workout note I did a bike/run brick today. 18.5 mile ride and then a short 2.75 mile run. The ride was quite hilly (1600 ft of climbing) and after yesterday I really felt the effort and could only manage 18mph. I was very glad I put an 11-28 on today - there were 2 hills at 15% grade that I really enjoyed having something past 25. The run was brutal - I hardly made it up the stairs after I was done. Still managed to hold onto a 9 minute mile. Tomorrow is an off day, so I figured a really hard workout was something to do today.

Race Report:

17th of 85 overall. 1st in Clydesdale. 2nd in age group.

5k - Couldn't get into the groove on the 5k. The course did check out at 3.1 mi on my gps. Ran the first 1/2 mile in a stampede at a 6 min pace. I felt good but my heart reat was above 170 which is red zone for me. I had to drop back to a 9 min mile pace to get my heart back into the low 160s. I brought the tunes today because it's the only event I do where it's raqce legal. I'm pretty sure it didn't help my running one bit. I just couldn't find a consistant pace. The last mile was a 7:30, but it was more a range between 6:30 and 8:30. Anyway, ended up with a 24:32 or 7:55 pace. Roughly 70th of 85. I busted my ### most of the summer with track workout and it resulted in a 30 sec improvement over last year.

T1 - Arrived early this year so I got an end spot in the first come, first serve rack arrangement. In and out in 1:01 which was a half minute faster than last year. In hindsight, maybe I should have spent more time on transition speed and blown off all the track workouts this summer.

40K bike - 69 people in front of me (plus a bunch of relays), 15 behind (a few relays). I'm a little grumpy. Right out of the gate we hit a hill and two little guys sporting kits and decked out bikes passed me (possibly co-ed relays because small guys shouldn't be behind me on the run). We make a right turn onto a 5 mile flat that's pretty straight and they had maybe 100 yards on me. Now I'm riding angry. No reeling people in today, just flat out destruction. The bike didn't drop below 24 mph for 5 mi including the very small rollers. I went by the two that passed and burned an extra match to leave no doubt that any thoughts of a return pass were futile. 10 miles in and the legs started barking. Probably went out too hard. The tunes help me through this section as I just focused on the pedal stroke and the lyrics. Just after mile 20 we have a long descent followed by the wall whihc is a 1/4 mile climb. I was moving at 35 mph as I started up the wall in aero position when I heard a sickening pop! Initially I thought I busted the handle bar and was headed down in a heap. Turns out the arm rest support screws (both of them) snapped. I couldn't stop on the wall to pick up the arm rest as i would never be able to gbet the bike going again. Rode the rest of the ride in the wide grips. At mile 22 I made a wrong turn as two of three volunteers gave confusing hand signals. Had to unclip and turn around to get back on course. Ended up 6th overall on the bike leg. Probably could have finished one better overall and in the bike leg without the mishaps. Fortuanately it didn't cost me any positions. Bike average was 22.4 mile compared to last year's 22.5. I think I was 20 sec slower.

Had three other teamates at the event and all brought home some hardware including 2nd overall female. At the end of the event the organizers handed me a $45 gift cet to Carrabas. Just a great day all around.....if my shop can pull the busted screws.

Where did you run today?

Wow, talk about specificity of training! Decided to climb every hill I could find as part of my 18 miler, including starting out heading right up hill, since that's what the ultra will be like. Click on the "today" above to see the elevation chart. Walked most of the ups, ran the downs and flats, stopped and took a few pics, and did it all in 13:28 pace - right under my A goal pace for the race. The hills I did today were, for the most part, even more steep than most of what I'll see in a few weeks. Of course I did this at sea level (as opposed to 6500'+), and covered 1/2 the total distance of the race today. But a pretty good confidence builder as it was hot, I kept the HR under control on most of the climbs, felt the ache in my quads coming downhill the last 6 miles and kept going, all stuff I'm going to need to face.

Bass: :bye: nice report, well done!

Great job, BnB! I can just imagine you pounding it to pass those guys ...and the steam coming it out when you got misdirected later on.

Did 14 miles at a slow pace yesterday, as planned - tired legs and wicked humidity. But that gave me 40 miles in 4 days as I quickly gear up marathon training (the true sign: bought a 100-count box of nipple band-aids). Like gruecd, I get an off day today, too (but will catch a dumbell/core workout tonight). Hopefully some speed work tomorrow and a 16 miler up by our cottage on Wednesday.

40K bike - 69 people in front of me (plus a bunch of relays), 15 behind (a few relays). I'm a little grumpy. Right out of the gate we hit a hill and two little guys sporting kits and decked out bikes passed me (possibly co-ed relays because small guys shouldn't be behind me on the run). We make a right turn onto a 5 mile flat that's pretty straight and they had maybe 100 yards on me. Now I'm riding angry. No reeling people in today, just flat out destruction. The bike didn't drop below 24 mph for 5 mi including the very small rollers. I went by the two that passed and burned an extra match to leave no doubt that any thoughts of a return pass were futile. 10 miles in and the legs started barking. Probably went out too hard. The tunes help me through this section as I just focused on the pedal stroke and the lyrics. Just after mile 20 we have a long descent followed by the wall whihc is a 1/4 mile climb. I was moving at 35 mph as I started up the wall in aero position when I heard a sickening pop! Initially I thought I busted the handle bar and was headed down in a heap. Turns out the arm rest support screws (both of them) snapped. I couldn't stop on the wall to pick up the arm rest as i would never be able to gbet the bike going again. Rode the rest of the ride in the wide grips. At mile 22 I made a wrong turn as two of three volunteers gave confusing hand signals. Had to unclip and turn around to get back on course. Ended up 6th overall on the bike leg. Probably could have finished one better overall and in the bike leg without the mishaps. Fortuanately it didn't cost me any positions. Bike average was 22.4 mile compared to last year's 22.5. I think I was 20 sec slower.
Awesome showing.Gents - I just found a picture of BnB after the race. Looking good!

Nice job Bass!!!

My report from Saturday: Went out with the gf on Friday night....slept in on Saturday. I didn't start running until 10:30am. Temps were in the mid 80s and not a cloud in the sky. Plan was to go 14 miles on a paved trail that is marked every .5 miles...water every 2 miles (so I don't carry water with me). Well, I thought it was marked every .5 miles. I reached the 10 mile marker in fairly good condition. At this point the trail is in a pretty remote area (it's WI so the trail literally has farm fields on both sides), no shade, and straight as an arrow. As I continue running I realize that there are no more water areas....and that there are no more mile markers! So now I'm tired, thirsty, have no idea how far I've run and it's high noon. I reach a point where the trail intersects with a road and decide that this is a good time to turn around. I make it back to "civilization" pretty gassed and unsure of how far I ran.

Summary: According to mapmyrun I ran exactly 13.1 miles. Miles 9-12 were without water or shade. Finished in 2:02:00 (9:18/mile). Dissapointed that I didn't do the planned 14 miles. However, given the weather conditions and my failure to know the trail, I'm still pretty happy. Definitely had a HTFU moment!

Whassup, freaks? An easy 6-miler on tap for me after work. And some strides. Nothing too taxing ahead of tomorrow night's 12-miler w/7 at HMP (low 6:50's)! :o

Duck - Your pics look awesome. I'm pretty sure our approaches to running couldn't possibly be more different. And yet each approach is cool in its own way. That's one of the things that's neat about running.

tri-man - Great mileage, but just be careful to not ramp it up too quickly. Don't wanna see you get hurt and F up our 2011 FBG FE in Boston!

Sand - That picture is just wrong, dude! :nerd:

Thought about doing some running today but decided the best use of my time would be to practice putting my shoes on fasters. :nerd:

Sounds like most everyone had a good weekend of running :thumbup:

Wraith, sorry to hear about the asthma.

After learning a lesson about burning too much energy too early on Saturday, I set out for my 6-mile "long" run on Sunday committed to running a sustainable pace. Ended up doing the first 3 miles in 27:00 and then did the last 3 (which are a lot more uphill) in 27:05. Felt great about keeping enough gas in the tank to finish strong. Could have really killed myself at the end and gotten in under 54:00 but remembered the long run isn't meant to be punishing. Three weeks ago, I did this same run 1:49 slower -- very happy to have picked up 18 seconds per mile since then.

Again, now that I have a race ahead of me, I'm finding myself behaving a lot smarter on my training runs. Until I signed up for the race, each individual run was like a race in itself (have to be faster than last time, have to run each mile at a certain pace, etc.) -- it's much more rewarding (and healthier, I'm sure) not to be killing myself every time I go out for a run.

Duck - Your pics look awesome. I'm pretty sure our approaches to running couldn't possibly be more different. And yet each approach is cool in its own way. That's one of the things that's neat about running.
Agreed. I've talked to a few people who are strictly road runners that just don't get the trail running thing, particularly the style required for longer distances - ie walking parts of it, even stopping sometimes to take in a view. While I'm sure I'll continue to do a road race here and there (I do have a sub-4:00 marathon in me!), being on trails just adds a whole new dimension. It's one that can only come with getting off the roads, away from cars and dogs (ok, so there was that coyote yesterday) and stoplights and buildings and driveways. Sometimes I like the rhythm of the road, the ability to zone out and just slap-slap-slap away at the pavement. The goals inherent in traditional race training, speed work and tempo runs, pushing oneself to reach new PRs, I get all that. But for me, nothing beats being on the trail and all that comes with it.

Gents - I just found a picture of BnB after the race. Looking good!
:lmao: Great race report BnB! I LOVE "destroying" people on the bike as well = pure adrenaline rush!!!

Duck: :jealous: of the runs you are able to go on :thumbup:

Sand: Thanks for the link. I'll spend some time on that site later!!

Tri-Man: Great mileage, but I agree that you'd better be careful not to over-train (this from the Master of idiotically over-training).

My Update:

I didn't get anything that even resembled a workout in from Friday through Sunday at Camp Pigskinliquor (unless you count late night dancing, food fights and/or shaving cream fights). This morning I decided I'd better start building some mileage for HH (just 13 days away :thumbdown: ). I had a really nice 45 mile ride. There was virtually zero wind at the start of the ride (unfortunately the part that would be with the wind), as the flags outside our complex were not even moving. Unfortunately it picked up as the ride went on, and they were at full-mast when I came in. My goal was to try to keep my pace fairly steady, for the whole ride, to see what would happen with my HR. My slowest mile was 3:19 which was during the biggest hill, which was also straight into the wind. The last 8 miles were straight into the wind (approx. 12-15 mph), and also slightly uphill, but I was able to keep my HR under 170, and maintain pretty close to 19.5 MPH during that final hard stretch.

My final numbers were 45.0 miles; max HR 173 (during the largest hill at mile 20); AVE HR 158; highest AVE HR for a mile 168 (the final mile which I treated like an interval and completed in 2:51, straight into the wind); AVE speed 20.4 MPH.

While my speed was almost a half mile p/h slower than my last ride, and my HR a bit higher, I was actually more pleased with this ride. There was a ton more traffic at the beginning of my ride (I didn't start until 7:30 am = "rush-hour"), I had quite a few more stop lights, and the wind was a beast at the end of the ride. The sad part is that I have to get ready to be in the saddle for another 57 miles :o .

I went back today to the same pool, which is actually a 50yd length, and hit 800 in just over 21 minutes - slow, yes, but I was pretty happy I can go that far now. Ran into a friend who apparently used to coach youth swimming, and he gave me some really great pointers about my elbows, reaching, breathing, and my kicking. After a few lengths I felt like I was working on my golf game - as soon as I focused on one thing something else fell apart!!
And just like golf you should tackle one at a time. I'd start with breathing. If you are not breathing right you will be crippling yourself worse than anything else. Work on exhaling in the water completely. Most people think they do and really don't. I am guilty of this. Then work on the arm stroke. Remember that propulsion comes from pulling hard. I see so many new swimmers try to be smooth and barely pull through the water. After a decent swim workout your lats, shoulders and triceps should feel the effort.
:shrug: Great advice here. I'm going to work on breathing from both sides, which I think will naturally improve my reaching, and try to keep my face lower in the water instead of rolling out high. Your pulling comment is right on the mark, too. My Sunday run was another relative disaster, only this time I'm at a complete loss as to what exactly went wrong. Got up at 5:30 and was running as of 6:02am. Close to 70 degrees and 80% humidity as predicted. Through 10.5 miles I was exactly on target - 9:27 pace, and my HR was averaging around 160. Nice and easy. I was making sure to drink every 1 - 1.5 miles (carried 2 liters of Gatorade on my back - I was ready to stay hydrated) because I knew I was sweating pretty freely despite my slowed pace. Suddenly and without much warning I hit a wall and had ZERO energy. My legs were lead and I realized there was no way I could even maintain a jog without stopping to walk, and I no longer had the time to finish my 17 miles (Had to leave for the Cubs game - which got rained out anyway, so I'd have been better off just walking the rest of the damned run!!). I turned for home and really struggled to even keep moving. Finished 13 miles total. Considering that I just ran the RnR 1/2, I'm not sure what on earth is happening to me here. My breathing was fine and my HR tells me I wasn't over-taxing my body. I'll keep going out and try to keep up with the program, and hopefully as the temps and humidity drop I'll find my groove again (I suspect that will be the case). Otherwise this seems like a good excuse for some swimming and biking focus for the next month as well.

And just like golf you should tackle one at a time. I'd start with breathing. If you are not breathing right you will be crippling yourself worse than anything else. Work on exhaling in the water completely. Most people think they do and really don't. I am guilty of this. Then work on the arm stroke. Remember that propulsion comes from pulling hard. I see so many new swimmers try to be smooth and barely pull through the water. After a decent swim workout your lats, shoulders and triceps should feel the effort.
:shrug: Great advice here. I'm going to work on breathing from both sides, which I think will naturally improve my reaching, and try to keep my face lower in the water instead of rolling out high. Your pulling comment is right on the mark, too. My Sunday run was another relative disaster, only this time I'm at a complete loss as to what exactly went wrong. Got up at 5:30 and was running as of 6:02am. Close to 70 degrees and 80% humidity as predicted. Through 10.5 miles I was exactly on target - 9:27 pace, and my HR was averaging around 160. Nice and easy. I was making sure to drink every 1 - 1.5 miles (carried 2 liters of Gatorade on my back - I was ready to stay hydrated) because I knew I was sweating pretty freely despite my slowed pace. Suddenly and without much warning I hit a wall and had ZERO energy. My legs were lead and I realized there was no way I could even maintain a jog without stopping to walk, and I no longer had the time to finish my 17 miles (Had to leave for the Cubs game - which got rained out anyway, so I'd have been better off just walking the rest of the damned run!!). I turned for home and really struggled to even keep moving. Finished 13 miles total. Considering that I just ran the RnR 1/2, I'm not sure what on earth is happening to me here. My breathing was fine and my HR tells me I wasn't over-taxing my body. I'll keep going out and try to keep up with the program, and hopefully as the temps and humidity drop I'll find my groove again (I suspect that will be the case). Otherwise this seems like a good excuse for some swimming and biking focus for the next month as well.
Given that Gatorade is loaded with sugar, it's not surprising that you can have an energy crash.

Gents - I just found a picture of BnB after the race. Looking good!
"In" before someone claims the old geezer must be me. :thumbup: Some tough runs out there - keep it up, guys! Good points, Man, about letting training be training and save the racing for race day. Something I need to remember, too. Wraith, the humidity was horrible Sunday morning, so I'd guess that was a big part of the problem. It happens!

To those worrying about the mileage increase - I was worried, too, especially heading into the long Sunday run. But the legs, ankles, and feet seemed OK, so I went ahead. :stubborn:

Given that Gatorade is loaded with sugar, it's not surprising that you can have an energy crash.
It's not like I drank a quart of it before I started running - I was drinking consistently throughout the run. I tend to think Tri-Man is right - a lot of my (ongoing) problem is with the humidity. At about mile 12 I stopped, took off my shirt, and wrung it out. If I'd filled a 12oz glass I wouldn't have been at all surprised (disgusted, yes) - I just melt in humidity.

:goodposting: Great advice here. I'm going to work on breathing from both sides, which I think will naturally improve my reaching, and try to keep my face lower in the water instead of rolling out high. Your pulling comment is right on the mark, too.
I find bilateral breathing to be very awkward, and it certainly is not necessary to swim fast or straight. Do what your body naturally wants to do, but don't start doing bilateral breathing because some 'net expert says that is what you need to do to be a good swimmer. That is bunk. Probably the best distance swimmer ever. Note all breaths are to one side.If it works for you, go for it. If not, don't force it - it is anything but mandatory.

I thought I would wait to see how things were going for a bit before I gave an update.

I have been running again for a couple weeks now, but needless to say I am behind in my training for the Twin Cities. I had given the idea of running the Marathon up for dead and then it hit me. I am signed up and had planned on running with a buddy. I may as well keep training from where I am and see what happens. If I have to run only the first 15 miles with him then drop out so be it. I now have my sights set on finishing. I am behind in my training and there is not much I can do about that. I ran 12 miles on Saturday and I should have run 16. I have a few choices for the next 6 weeks. I could run 14, 16, 18, 20 and then taper, but I am leaning twords 14, 16, 14, 18 and taper. I am worried about adding too much mileage and I think the drop back week of the second option will reduce my chance of getting hurt.

I already told my wife that I want to finish this one, but want to "run" a marathon at some point. I hope to be able to run to and past the 20 mile mark, but then I should be able to walk it in from there. My buddy and I are going to run/walk the whole thing, so it should be interesting to see how far I can make it. Knowing that you are never more than a mile from another walk break should allow me to push myself. Who knows?

I know I will hit the start line under-trained, but I should be healthy.

I thought I would wait to see how things were going for a bit before I gave an update. I have been running again for a couple weeks now, but needless to say I am behind in my training for the Twin Cities.
Injury? I know you probably posted about it somewhere in the thread, but I missed it.
I had given the idea of running the Marathon up for dead and then it hit me. I am signed up and had planned on running with a buddy. I may as well keep training from where I am and see what happens. If I have to run only the first 15 miles with him then drop out so be it. I now have my sights set on finishing. I am behind in my training and there is not much I can do about that. I ran 12 miles on Saturday and I should have run 16. I have a few choices for the next 6 weeks. I could run 14, 16, 18, 20 and then taper, but I am leaning twords 14, 16, 14, 18 and taper. I am worried about adding too much mileage and I think the drop back week of the second option will reduce my chance of getting hurt.
I'm not in any special position to give advice on this, but I think I'd shoot for 14/16/18/20. See how you're feeling after the 16 miler and then decide. If you feel like you need the stepback, you can always revert to the 14/16/1/4/18. I would just really want to have a 20-miler under my belt before attempting a marathon, even if your goal is just to get across the finish line, even though I know there are some training programs out there that max you out at 18 miles.
I already told my wife that I want to finish this one, but want to "run" a marathon at some point. I hope to be able to run to and past the 20 mile mark, but then I should be able to walk it in from there. My buddy and I are going to run/walk the whole thing, so it should be interesting to see how far I can make it. Knowing that you are never more than a mile from another walk break should allow me to push myself. Who knows?I know I will hit the start line under-trained, but I should be healthy.
Good luck, and I'm looking forward to the race report. I'm planning on doing Twin Cities next year, so any tidbits about the event, lodgings, course, etc are appreciated.

I tend to think Tri-Man is right - a lot of my (ongoing) problem is with the humidity. At about mile 12 I stopped, took off my shirt, and wrung it out. If I'd filled a 12oz glass I wouldn't have been at all surprised (disgusted, yes) - I just melt in humidity.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, wraith. I did a big negative split and averaged 7:50 on a 20-miler on the 8th. I did a 14-miler this past Saturday and struggled to average 8:24's, despite taking a couple of breaks. Humidity sucks for me, too. Just hang in there.

I am behind in my training and there is not much I can do about that. I ran 12 miles on Saturday and I should have run 16. I have a few choices for the next 6 weeks. I could run 14, 16, 18, 20 and then taper, but I am leaning twords 14, 16, 14, 18 and taper. I am worried about adding too much mileage and I think the drop back week of the second option will reduce my chance of getting hurt. I already told my wife that I want to finish this one, but want to "run" a marathon at some point. I hope to be able to run to and past the 20 mile mark, but then I should be able to walk it in from there. My buddy and I are going to run/walk the whole thing, so it should be interesting to see how far I can make it. Knowing that you are never more than a mile from another walk break should allow me to push myself. Who knows?I know I will hit the start line under-trained, but I should be healthy.
I may have already told this story, but in spring 2007 I was training for the half marathon on May 20 in Green Bay. On April 14, I ran the Oshkosh Half Marathon as a tune-up race, and I ran 1:32:39, which was a big PR for me at the time. So I decided that I'd switch to the full marathon in Green Bay. In five weeks. Despite having done only three runs of 10+ miles the entire year, and nothing longer than 13.1. I did 16- and 18-mile training runs the next two weeks, and then I started a three-week taper. I proceeded to run 3:10 in Green Bay, a BQ, and a PR by 35-minutes.Moral of the story? There's something to be said for fresh legs. And sometimes less is more. HTFU.

Not really an injury. I ran 10 miles on July 5th with a 100.8 temp. I spent the next 4 days in bed. Docter thinks it was the swine flu, but I was past the point that they would treat it when I went in on the 7th. For several days after that I could not do anything active beyond light jogging. I would get very light headed/dizzy and there was some weird tingling in my back and legs like from a pinched nerve. A few weeks ago I decided if I was going to see a doctor again about it I would try run a couple of days to have some more info to give the doctor about how I felt. Running seemed to do the trick. I have been feeling better and better after every run, and I now feel 100%. Not really what I wanted in the middle of marathon training, but I am so happy to be running again.

Thanks Gruecd. I will keep that in mind as I am climbing from mile 20 to 23. Fresh legs, fresh legs, fresh legs! HTFU!

gruecd said:
wraith5 said:
I tend to think Tri-Man is right - a lot of my (ongoing) problem is with the humidity. At about mile 12 I stopped, took off my shirt, and wrung it out. If I'd filled a 12oz glass I wouldn't have been at all surprised (disgusted, yes) - I just melt in humidity.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, wraith. I did a big negative split and averaged 7:50 on a 20-miler on the 8th. I did a 14-miler this past Saturday and struggled to average 8:24's, despite taking a couple of breaks. Humidity sucks for me, too. Just hang in there.
Thanks, brother. I'm sorry to hear you "struggled" with your run on Saturday, but it makes me feel a lot better about my recent runs. :goodposting:

meeka said:
Thanks Gruecd. I will keep that in mind as I am climbing from mile 20 to 23. Fresh legs, fresh legs, fresh legs! HTFU!
No problem. That's a tough climb. I've been there many times, either for the TCM or the TC10. You need to come to terms with the fact that it's gonna hurt and just be ready to endure. Embrace the pain, even.

Sand said:
wraith5 said:
:goodposting: Great advice here. I'm going to work on breathing from both sides, which I think will naturally improve my reaching, and try to keep my face lower in the water instead of rolling out high. Your pulling comment is right on the mark, too.
I find bilateral breathing to be very awkward, and it certainly is not necessary to swim fast or straight. Do what your body naturally wants to do, but don't start doing bilateral breathing because some 'net expert says that is what you need to do to be a good swimmer. That is bunk. Probably the best distance swimmer ever. Note all breaths are to one side.If it works for you, go for it. If not, don't force it - it is anything but mandatory.
Agreed (and thanks for the link earlier). The only thing trying to breathe on both sides does is help me to inhale water on left side. I am a right side and right side only breather and I come up every time I am on that side. Wraith, I'd focus more on keeping your head down on the alternate stroke than worrying about breathing on a side that is not comfortable.

Sand said:
wraith5 said:
Agreed (and thanks for the link earlier). The only thing trying to breathe on both sides does is help me to inhale water on left side. I am a right side and right side only breather and I come up every time I am on that side. Wraith, I'd focus more on keeping your head down on the alternate stroke than worrying about breathing on a side that is not comfortable.
Oh yeah - if you ever decide to copy Janet Evans copy the stroke rate (which is unreal). Don't copy the arm technique. She is the Jim Furyk of swimming.

My "coach": Reading meeka's concerns about being undertrained (we all feel that with certain races) and wondering about the challenges of those late marathon miles causes me to comment on my "coach." I've found in my hard training and - when I remember - in my races, to try and get 'outside' myself and take a more detached view of where I'm at. I don't try to escape with, or rely on, music, though that seems to work great for many of you. For me, I visualize a "coach" who is assessing where I'm at and what I need to be doing. "What would coach be saying right now?" I try to ask myself. Coach might remind me to focus on my breathing, or my cadence ...to put a little more hip into my stride when my length is slipping; to relax my arms and let some stress out; to land with a good footstrike and run quietly; to work the turns as a way to focus. Coach reminds me in the pool to turn the wrist and grab the water; to focus on my thumb/index finger combo for a good exit. Coach tells me to feel the circular motion on the bike; to stay aero.

This is all helpful during the difficult parts of a race (or workout), where the mind, if left to its own devices, will easily slip into negative thoughts. "I won't be able to maintain this pace much longer; a little walking won't hurt; I'll take my time through the next water stop; this hurts too much to keep pushing; it's too hot to have a good race time today." My "coach" can get me away from those thoughts and get me focused on other things ...race things ...technique.

A variation of this is to plan a mantra to use. A word or words or a phrase that reinforce the rhythm and pace. In my recent tri, having just read an article on ultra/uber-athlete David Goggin, I used "Goggin" as my mantra. That's what got me up every hill. "Goggin," exhale, "Goggin," exhale ... I didn't think about how much of the hill remained, or how I felt, I just focused fully on the word - nothing else. I faltered over the last couple miles of that race, and as I thought back, I realized my "coach" wasn't with me. My weak, tired mind had full control, reminding how wiped I was, and those thoughts held me back to some degree.

:blackdot:

Users who are viewing this thread