What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (6 Viewers)

Wraith, I've seen a few comments about runners using the Barrington area for some hilly runs ...taking off from near the high school. FWIW.

2Young, too late for this year, but I've saved that link for future reference. I'd like to do a pure open water distance distance 'race' at some point!

One more thing 2Y - watch out for those FISH!!
Me and the fish are tight after our little meet and greet earlier this week. What does have me :wall: is the revised weather report I just read for up there. "In the 40s" around race time has been changed to "40" with some possible 30s in the morning. HTFUing with shrinkage, FUN.

Just finished 10 miles at 7:44 pace, and then a much-needed ice bath. Legs are pretty sore/tired, so it's good that I'm not running tomorrow. Need the rest for my last 20-miler on Sunday.

Have a great night, everybody!
My 20 miler is tomorrow so today is a major rest day and then it is taper time...can't believe how fast it got here.
Nice. I had my 20 miler last weekend. What plan are you on again? I thought you were doing a HH Intermediate. Was I wrong?

2Young2BBald said:
Tri-Man, I know you are in huge marathon routine, but THIS would be a PERFECT cross training event for you on Sunday. I knew they did one of these up in Harbor Springs, but didn't know they did these on Southern MI. I am going to have to watch for more of these.
I'm jealous - I'd love to give the 5k one a shot.

2Young2BBald said:
Tri-Man, I know you are in huge marathon routine, but THIS would be a PERFECT cross training event for you on Sunday. I knew they did one of these up in Harbor Springs, but didn't know they did these on Southern MI. I am going to have to watch for more of these.
If you'd like to vacation in one of the most beautiful areas not just in Michigan, but possibly this country, watch for this event next year. I'd need to clone myself to do all the events I'd like to do. Depending on how next year is going I really wonder if doing the 2-mile swim would be doable.

2Young2BBald said:
If you'd like to vacation in one of the most beautiful areas not just in Michigan, but possibly this country, watch for this event next year. I'd need to clone myself to do all the events I'd like to do. Depending on how next year is going I really wonder if doing the 2-mile swim would be doable.
Gah - you're just multiplying the jealousy. As far as I know we have nothing around here like that.I saw an 8 mile harbor swim report the other day (San Fransisco?) that looked really fun, as well. 8 miles is a bloody long way, though.

Duck - be careful with that achilles. If you need to take it easy for two-four weeks, do so. You've just finished an incredible race and conquered a big challenge. Don't force it. Remember the basic rule of thumb of one rest day for each hour of the event ...by that logic, you deserved a good eight days off!!!
All of my googling has me pretty discouraged, because it's pretty much unanimous that I need to take time off. Once warmed up the pain will almost always subside, so that's not a good gauge, and you'll end up doing more harm than good.So, I guess my first running injury is going to have me taking a break for a week or so, at least. I'll also be using some heat on it, as the achilles apparently has poor blood flow, so can be slow to heal. I plan to put some sort of heel lift in that shoe for this week, that reduces pull and stress on the tendon. Finally, a few people have recommended supplements of lysine, glycine, glucosamine, carnatine, and Vitamins C and E to aid healing, figure that can't hurt so will be heading to GNC later as well.Sure wish I knew how to swim. Don't own a bike. Hmmmm. Anyone have ideas of other aerobic cross training that I could do that won't stress the injury? Figure this is as good a time as any to try and get some sort of core and/or upper body work started as well.

Just finished 10 miles at 7:44 pace, and then a much-needed ice bath. Legs are pretty sore/tired, so it's good that I'm not running tomorrow. Need the rest for my last 20-miler on Sunday.

Have a great night, everybody!
My 20 miler is tomorrow so today is a major rest day and then it is taper time...can't believe how fast it got here.
Nice. I had my 20 miler last weekend. What plan are you on again? I thought you were doing a HH Intermediate. Was I wrong?
HH Novice 2.

20 miler in the books!!! Officially taper time!!!

Treated it like race day from breakfast to running gear. It was unbelievably easy. Last few miles of my 19 miler 2 weeks ago were a little rough, but today was almost effortless. Just found my rhythym and kept going. Listenting to Saturday Night Live Celebrity Jeopardy on the iPod makes time goes fast too. Perfect weather in the low 50s with a little breeze. Kept me from sweating my ### off.

Took me 3:47 for an 11:19 m/m pace - proud member of the FBG Turtle Running Club :confused:

Average HR was 164 bpm and my 20th mile was 2 min 30sec faster than my 1st :confused:

...and I could have easily kept going

Happy training/racing this weekend.

20 miler in the books!!! Officially taper time!!!Treated it like race day from breakfast to running gear. It was unbelievably easy. Last few miles of my 19 miler 2 weeks ago were a little rough, but today was almost effortless. Just found my rhythym and kept going. Listenting to Saturday Night Live Celebrity Jeopardy on the iPod makes time goes fast too. Perfect weather in the low 50s with a little breeze. Kept me from sweating my ### off. Took me 3:47 for an 11:19 m/m pace - proud member of the FBG Turtle Running Club :)Average HR was 164 bpm and my 20th mile was 2 min 30sec faster than my 1st :football: ...and I could have easily kept goingHappy training/racing this weekend.
Great training run, sounds like a good confidence builder as well. Congrats, and enjoy the taper!

I did the coolest thing today...I swam for almost 25 minutes and found that beyond the swimming area at the beach it is VERY weedy AND there are VERY BIG fish swimming around. :football: I have never had the opportunity to swim like this and I was amazed that the fish didn't scatter as I was swimming around them. I think they spooked me a lot more than I spooked them. It was far and away the most peaceful swim I have ever had. I purposely swam through some of the weeds as I have no doubt I'll encounter some on race day.
Free swims freak me out in so small part because of what you described - I have almost a phobia of running into or stepping on stuff I can't see below the surface. Don't even get me started on "VERY BIG fish..." If I decide to do Tri's in the future, this will be a big thing for me to overcome.
I stepped on a sting ray once. My wife says I jumped about ten feet into the air. I think there may have been girly screaming as well.

20 miler in the books!!! Officially taper time!!!Treated it like race day from breakfast to running gear. It was unbelievably easy. Last few miles of my 19 miler 2 weeks ago were a little rough, but today was almost effortless. Just found my rhythym and kept going. Listenting to Saturday Night Live Celebrity Jeopardy on the iPod makes time goes fast too. Perfect weather in the low 50s with a little breeze. Kept me from sweating my ### off. Took me 3:47 for an 11:19 m/m pace - proud member of the FBG Turtle Running Club :)Average HR was 164 bpm and my 20th mile was 2 min 30sec faster than my 1st :football: ...and I could have easily kept goingHappy training/racing this weekend.
Nice work!! :)

I got the results of my TEE yesterday. I guess it just confirmed that I have the atrial septal defect. Doctor now wants me to have a heart cath done to see how big it is and if it should be fixed. He does not do this so he wants me to go to the University of Arizona for it. My problem is I have a high deductible with insurance and I now have $800.00 in medical bills sitting on my desk. I asked the doc if I could put off the heart cath until I figure out the bills and how I am going to pay them. He seemed to feel that would be ok.

I did 3.37 miles at 10 min miles. :lmao:

I feel I am getting stronger.

Quickie Tri Race Report. After sniffing the podium a few times this summer, I finally got to get on it with an AG 3rd, 10th Male Overall :goodposting: I'll do a report later today or more likely tomorrow. Key to the strong result was a Garmin Free 20:45 5K Trail Run at the end (and this sucker was hilly and technical). The dopes that didn't heed the race directors warning to off the sun glasses for the run paid dearly. There was lots of medical attention being doled out at the end (couple of wicked bike wrecks too). Gotta go get a nap in. Were off to a Euchere Party Night and without a nap I'll be significantly sloppy. I plan on being regular sloppy with a nap :D

Got my confirmation ticket for Chicago. I'm bib # 589.

It's still three weeks away, but for anybody who's interested in tracking me on raceday, you can sign up here.

Easy 5 this morning, and tomorrow I'm doing the first 20 miles of the Fox Cities Marathon as a training run. Looking forward to seeing Keggers, who's volunteering as a course marshall. :lmao:

2Young - Great job today. Live it up tonight--you deserve it!

Quickie Tri Race Report. After sniffing the podium a few times this summer, I finally got to get on it with an AG 3rd, 10th Male Overall ;) I'll do a report later today or more likely tomorrow. Key to the strong result was a Garmin Free 20:45 5K Trail Run at the end (and this sucker was hilly and technical). The dopes that didn't heed the race directors warning to off the sun glasses for the run paid dearly. There was lots of medical attention being doled out at the end (couple of wicked bike wrecks too). Gotta go get a nap in. Were off to a Euchere Party Night and without a nap I'll be significantly sloppy. I plan on being regular sloppy with a nap :banned:
Huh, couldn't seem to edit the post above. Wanted to add this photo of what a swim course looks like at around 40 degress. The temp on the car read 39 degrees when I pulled in to the park.

Quickie Tri Race Report. After sniffing the podium a few times this summer, I finally got to get on it with an AG 3rd, 10th Male Overall ;) I'll do a report later today or more likely tomorrow. Key to the strong result was a Garmin Free 20:45 5K Trail Run at the end (and this sucker was hilly and technical). The dopes that didn't heed the race directors warning to off the sun glasses for the run paid dearly. There was lots of medical attention being doled out at the end (couple of wicked bike wrecks too). Gotta go get a nap in. Were off to a Euchere Party Night and without a nap I'll be significantly sloppy. I plan on being regular sloppy with a nap :banned:
Why the warning on the sunglasses - visibility? Congrats, BTW.

Quickie Tri Race Report. After sniffing the podium a few times this summer, I finally got to get on it with an AG 3rd, 10th Male Overall ;) I'll do a report later today or more likely tomorrow. Key to the strong result was a Garmin Free 20:45 5K Trail Run at the end (and this sucker was hilly and technical). The dopes that didn't heed the race directors warning to off the sun glasses for the run paid dearly. There was lots of medical attention being doled out at the end (couple of wicked bike wrecks too). Gotta go get a nap in. Were off to a Euchere Party Night and without a nap I'll be significantly sloppy. I plan on being regular sloppy with a nap :shrug:
:lmao: Low bright sun coupled with the misty haze off the lake and add in a tree canopy meant for tough conditions to see in if you had on sunglasses. On the bike, I had to look over my glasses a bunch when looking in to the sun or I'd lose the road. There were way more skinned up knees and arms on women than men.

Did my last 2-mile pre-race run yesterday. Probably went a little too fast, but I really wanted to see if 22:00 (a 7:05 pace) is in the realm of possibility. Ended up maintaining that pace for 1.75 miles, and then shut it down. Feel like I have a chance, although the course set-up is a little scary -- gradually downhill for the 1st mile, then like running down a ski trail until 1.75 miles, and then starting at the 2.0 mark it's a real uphill grind for 3/4 mile.

Thanks for all the practical advice, and even more so for the encouragement. Just 7 weeks ago, my fast pace for a 3 mile run was 7:58 -- if I can do tomorrow's race at a 7:05 pace, I should be on track for 6-minute miles by Christmas. :shrug:

Well, probably not. But it's nice to feel like I haven't hit a plateau yet.
Would have given a race update sooner, but I was waiting for my legs to make it up that last mile. Finally gave up waiting, though -- hope they show up sometime tonight.Didn't quite get my overly ambitious goal -- finished at 22:21. Sure did learn a lot about racing, though. Especially, DON'T GET SO GEEKED UP ABOUT BEING IN A RACE THAT YOU START IT BY SPRINTING LIKE A TOTAL MANIAC. Also, don't run a race that finishes with an uphill mile.

First mile split: 6:37. ;)

Second mile split: 7:00.

And then staggered home at a 7:56 pace for the last 1.1 miles.

Finished #40 out of 400+ and 5th in my age group. Would have been 3rd in my age group if I were a year younger. What's wrong with those 30-something whippersnappers?

Anyway, I had a great time. And even though my first mile time proved disastrous, it is actually pretty exciting to know I can run a mile that fast. Now I just have to work on building the stamina to maintain that speed. Time to start looking for my next race!

Did my last 2-mile pre-race run yesterday. Probably went a little too fast, but I really wanted to see if 22:00 (a 7:05 pace) is in the realm of possibility. Ended up maintaining that pace for 1.75 miles, and then shut it down. Feel like I have a chance, although the course set-up is a little scary -- gradually downhill for the 1st mile, then like running down a ski trail until 1.75 miles, and then starting at the 2.0 mark it's a real uphill grind for 3/4 mile.

Thanks for all the practical advice, and even more so for the encouragement. Just 7 weeks ago, my fast pace for a 3 mile run was 7:58 -- if I can do tomorrow's race at a 7:05 pace, I should be on track for 6-minute miles by Christmas. :lmao:

Well, probably not. But it's nice to feel like I haven't hit a plateau yet.
Would have given a race update sooner, but I was waiting for my legs to make it up that last mile. Finally gave up waiting, though -- hope they show up sometime tonight.Didn't quite get my overly ambitious goal -- finished at 22:21. Sure did learn a lot about racing, though. Especially, DON'T GET SO GEEKED UP ABOUT BEING IN A RACE THAT YOU START IT BY SPRINTING LIKE A TOTAL MANIAC. Also, don't run a race that finishes with an uphill mile.

First mile split: 6:37. :shrug:

Finished #40 out of 400+ and 5th in my age group. Would have been 3rd in my age group if I were a year younger. What's wrong with those 30-something whippersnappers?

Anyway, I had a great time. And even though my first mile time proved disastrous, it is actually pretty exciting to know I can run a mile that fast. Now I just have to work on building the stamina to maintain that speed. Time to start looking for my next race!
Welcome to the club(s). The lose your mind out of the gate club and the who are all these fit people in my AG club. Congrats on a great race. It took some serious HTFUing to get that last mile done. 22-minutes is a goner on you next 5K.

gruecd said:

It's still three weeks away, but for anybody who's interested in tracking me on raceday, you can sign up here.

Easy 5 this morning, and tomorrow I'm doing the first 20 miles of the Fox Cities Marathon as a training run. Looking forward to seeing Keggers, who's volunteering as a course marshall. :goodposting:

I'm jealous. Haven't gotten mine yet. Was it in the mail or through email? I think they do both.

gruecd said:

Easy 5 this morning, and tomorrow I'm doing the first 20 miles of the Fox Cities Marathon as a training run. Looking forward to seeing Keggers, who's volunteering as a course marshall. :pickle:

I'm jealous. Haven't gotten mine yet. Was it in the mail or through email? I think they do both.
Snail mail.

The_Man said:
Would have given a race update sooner, but I was waiting for my legs to make it up that last mile. Finally gave up waiting, though -- hope they show up sometime tonight.

Didn't quite get my overly ambitious goal -- finished at 22:21. Sure did learn a lot about racing, though. Especially, DON'T GET SO GEEKED UP ABOUT BEING IN A RACE THAT YOU START IT BY SPRINTING LIKE A TOTAL MANIAC. Also, don't run a race that finishes with an uphill mile.

First mile split: 6:37. :goodposting:

Awesome race. I gotta remember this for the 5k I'm doing in a few weeks.On my training front I hit my first 20 mile week, ever. Ran a total of 22.5 miles this week. Ran 4.5 yesterday at a leisurely 8:35 pace. Ran the same 4.5 today at exactly an 8min/mile pace. It was at a good tempo type pace. Felt good - the course is quite steep (400' of ascents) and the average climb is at 6% grade or so. Hoping this translates into a sub 23 minute 5k (on a flatter course).

(On a completely different subject). My new dream bike. Tested at 20% faster than a P3. Whoosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
The_Man said:
Would have given a race update sooner, but I was waiting for my legs to make it up that last mile. Finally gave up waiting, though -- hope they show up sometime tonight.

Didn't quite get my overly ambitious goal -- finished at 22:21. Sure did learn a lot about racing, though. Especially, DON'T GET SO GEEKED UP ABOUT BEING IN A RACE THAT YOU START IT BY SPRINTING LIKE A TOTAL MANIAC. Also, don't run a race that finishes with an uphill mile.

First mile split: 6:37. :rolleyes:

Awesome race. I gotta remember this for the 5k I'm doing in a few weeks.On my training front I hit my first 20 mile week, ever. Ran a total of 22.5 miles this week. Ran 4.5 yesterday at a leisurely 8:35 pace. Ran the same 4.5 today at exactly an 8min/mile pace. It was at a good tempo type pace. Felt good - the course is quite steep (400' of ascents) and the average climb is at 6% grade or so. Hoping this translates into a sub 23 minute 5k (on a flatter course).

(On a completely different subject). My new dream bike. Tested at 20% faster than a P3. Whoosh.
Maybe 20% faster than a P3 filled with lead weights.

Getting ready to hit the rack. Tomorrow is a 105 mile bike event with 10500 feet of climbing. Unfortunately the weatherman says rain and fog. Loosened up the legs today with 25 miles and 3500 feet of climbing. probably over did the warmup.

If jonmhend is still around, slip in a hill workout or two before the PF Chang's half. I've run the full marathon course twice, so I'm not familiar with the half, but I believe there are some rolling hills, and having that training under your belt will be a plus.

If you're in the Phoenix area, the road in South Mountain park is a good one. No, you needn't run up to the towers, lol, but rather continue down the road to the west (towards San Juan Point, or whatever it's called). I usually went 2-3 miles down and back for a total of 4-6. There are runners and bikers in there all the time, so make a friend and follow them. If you're by yourself, pay attention to the course so you don't end up taking a wrong turn and ending up at the towers anyhow! Also be sure to carry water. You might find water coolers from other training groups here and there, but don't count on it.

Quickie Tri Race Report. After sniffing the podium a few times this summer, I finally got to get on it with an AG 3rd, 10th Male Overall :lmao: I'll do a report later today or more likely tomorrow. Key to the strong result was a Garmin Free 20:45 5K Trail Run at the end (and this sucker was hilly and technical). The dopes that didn't heed the race directors warning to off the sun glasses for the run paid dearly. There was lots of medical attention being doled out at the end (couple of wicked bike wrecks too). Gotta go get a nap in. Were off to a Euchere Party Night and without a nap I'll be significantly sloppy. I plan on being regular sloppy with a nap :rant:
:cry: Low bright sun coupled with the misty haze off the lake and add in a tree canopy meant for tough conditions to see in if you had on sunglasses. On the bike, I had to look over my glasses a bunch when looking in to the sun or I'd lose the road. There were way more skinned up knees and arms on women than men.
That's exactly why I bought these recently. They have photocromatic lenses that are pretty light and easy to see through in the shadows, but darken up within 15-30 seconds in bright sunlight. Perfect for trail running, when you're in and out of the canopy repeatedly. Although the conditions you describe might've been tough even with these on!

This morning's 21-mile training run at the Fox Cities Marathon went great. Kept it nice and easy on the first 10 miles (7:53 average), then picked it up for the second 10 (7:17). I ran mile 20 in 6:46. Finished up with a mile cool-down.

Taper time, baby!!! :pickle:

A few more race details from yesterday. I ended up 2nd in my AG for the swim and the run, 4th on the bike. I was the 16th fastest swimmer overall, 19th on the bike and 7th on the run. I smoked both transitions too. T2 was 50 seconds, but could have been a lot faster. I've never had this happen before, I got a Charlie-Horse in my abs switching out my shoes. I am guessing I strained them a bit standing up out of the saddle on the bike on some of the wicked up hills.

As stated yesterday, it was 39 degrees when I got to the park, around 43 at race time. The switched from an on the beach start to in the water. Due to some really slow women in the heat before us, they left us in the water for almost 5-minutes. I ducked all but my head under water to keep warm (and had one last pre-race pee). No one wanted to go to the front so I went right to the line, inside right. From the gun I went hard and got to thrash a bit (most annoying was a guy slapping my feet for about 25 yards, taking drafting etiquette a bit too far). My time for the 500 meters was over 10-minutes, but it sure felt shorter. My lungs were cashed from the cold air.

The bike was a hilly ###-kicker. I spent most of the race on the hoods of my brakes and only dropped down for a bit. I average under 17-MPH, with a max speed of 37.4. From the rough pavement (and from gripping my bars hard out of fear) my elbows and next are killing be today. From the cold, I lost some feeling in my feet and didn't notice how much until T2.

Coming out of transition, I couldn't feel my right foot at all and my left foot was half numb. I nice straight uphill start got the blood flowing and I started pick off mode. Like I stated yesterday, I left the Garmin at home. I've talked to a couple of real good racers who all said that for these sprint events, the Garmin will just make you slower and I am now a believer. After the tough bike I was amazed at how fresh my legs were. I was hurdling tree stumps and flying up hills. I think the course was 3-miles and not a 5K, but my 20:45 time still blew me away.

The Sprint finished before the long course for the top finishers. It was really weird coming in to the finish corral. They had a finish area fenced off and there was almost no one in there (as I finished top ten). I have never come close to encountering something like this before and I LIKED IT! The whole gaining weight thing came up this week and I am sure I'll be there too. I skipped the bananas, cookies and crackers had a cheese burger and hot dog as post race food instead. When I got home I had a BLT and a cold piece of pizza and then made a pig of myself at a party last night and drank a ton of beer (and some sugary shots too :X ).

Woke up this morning with a rather large :P My daughter asked me "if you are not too sore can we take the bike down to Belle Isle for a ride"? (Like there would ever be such a thing as too sore to miss the chance to go on a ride with her). We did a nice slow ride around the island in the middle of the Detroit River and saw a freighter so close we could almost touch it, a huge heron, model hydroplane races and watched stock vehicles and racing go-karts doing time trials on a closed course. Now I am home swearing at the TV as the Lions continue to suck.

It'll be interesting to see how things go in here with at least 4 racers going through taper madness. I have a month until my next ½ marathon and have to become a runner only again.

2Young, racing like a pro!!! The_Man, racing like a rookie!!! :mellow: Congrats to you both!

----

Finished a 58 mile training week today (best ever). On Saturday, did Yasso 1/2-miles: A total of 12 miles, with the heart of it being 10 1/2-miles on the track with an easy lap between each one. Pace was 3:30 for each (min/sec slightly better than planned marathon hrs/min). Tough work. Today was a 20 mile run, which went well. Ran two loops on a crushed-limestone trail outside of town with some rolling hills. Gruecd, great final big run for you!!

Easy 5 this morning, and tomorrow I'm doing the first 20 miles of the Fox Cities Marathon as a training run. Looking forward to seeing Keggers, who's volunteering as a course marshall. :lmao:

Snail mail.
I got my confirmation packet in the mail for the Twin Cities Marathon yesterday as well. I am getting pretty excited.

20 miler in the books!!! Officially taper time!!!Treated it like race day from breakfast to running gear. It was unbelievably easy. Last few miles of my 19 miler 2 weeks ago were a little rough, but today was almost effortless. Just found my rhythym and kept going. Listenting to Saturday Night Live Celebrity Jeopardy on the iPod makes time goes fast too. Perfect weather in the low 50s with a little breeze. Kept me from sweating my ### off. Took me 3:47 for an 11:19 m/m pace - proud member of the FBG Turtle Running Club :thumbup:Average HR was 164 bpm and my 20th mile was 2 min 30sec faster than my 1st :goodposting: ...and I could have easily kept goingHappy training/racing this weekend.
Great training run, DP!! I wish I could say my 20 miler was "easy," let alone unbelievably so!! Very well done and clearly your training program has paid off. For my run, for the most part I treated it like a race day as well, up at 5:30am to be out the door at 6am. 2 packets of instant oatmeal and a cup of coffee for breakfast, packed my Camelback with 52oz of Accelerade and 3 Gus. Started my running playlist on my iPhone and away I went into the sunrise - mid-50s and of course humid. My first 15 miles were relatively solid: I averaged about 9:34 or so, a little faster than target but close overall. I let myself get too fast on miles 9-12 and even though I forced myself to slow down again I think that set me back for later in the run. Miles 16-18.5 were @ 10:13s, ave HR of 178 and climbing. I had to walk for a couple of minutes after that so I wouldn't, you know... die. But I surprised myself by picking it back up and running through to 20. Overall time: 3:16:31 (9:49s). I was dead tired after - no way I could have squeezed another 6 out of my quads so I know I have a ways to go yet. Still, for my first 20 miler in 5 years I am happy overall. After the run (and laying in my backyard for about 15 minutes) I took a hot shower then about 15 in an ice bath. My quads are still sore now (not that it should be a surprise) and my right achilles is stiff. It's actually been giving me some grief for about 10 days now. I've been heating it and making sure to start runs slowly until I warm up. Once I get going it's fine.

Ugghhhh! 106 miles, 10500 ft of climbing, and one of my toughest rides behind me.

Ride started at 10 am under cloudy skies with drizzle. Roughly 700 people signed up but the I would extimate that 1/3 no showed due to the weather forecast. Worked my way from the rear into a front group of roughly 100 by mile 5. At mile 10 I saw my first wreck as someone slid out on a 90 degree turn at the bottom of a hill and went flying into someones front yard and into a bush. I was riding at the back of the lead group and fell off the back with a few others at mile 20 after a hill and descent. We hit a flat and I had about 150 yards to make up. Laid the hammer down and dragged myself and one other back to the pack. Made my first mistake at mile 30 or so. I had to pee bad and stopped at the top of a hill with 6 others to drain. I should have ridden to the front before pulling off. Once the faucet was turned on I could stop. By the time I was finsihed I was the only one left. After a 1/2 mile descent the group was out of sight. I had two choices, sit up and wait for the next pack or put the hammer down. Well it took 6 miles near threshold, but I ran them down as the ran started in ernest. I was back in a pack of 80-90 riders. After recovering I found myself at the back riding with my HR in the 120s. We were on and off the brakes in full yo-yo effect. I'd had enough at mile 45 and worked my way to the front of the pack. At mile 48 after a long pull I noticed those behind me were not pulling through. At mile 48 I decided it was time to whip up the pace and dropped the hammer. Well it was dropping the hammer as much as just riding the group off my wheel. As we crossed mile 50 myself and one other had opened up a small split and I lead the entire field past the 50 mile mark. :dancingpickle: A decent hill brought me back into the fold around mile 52. With a long day in front of me I hung around 10th spot as we made the turn at mile 55 to begin a 12 mile climb. I looked over my shoulder at the turn and apparently I had done some damage to the front pack as it was now down to about 25 riders. 55 miles down with 2500 feet of climbing done at a 22 mph average.

When the road turns up, my 215-220 lbs goes back. We gained 2500 feet over the 12 miles and it took me about an hour and a half. I turned onto the parkway at mile 70 at approx 4 hours. I wasn't feeling particularily good as my left arm which starting hurting in the shoulder was now going numb. With 35 miles and 5500 ft of climbing left I knew I was straring right into another 3 hours on the bike. The drizzle had now changed to rain and the temps were in the 50's. Fog was starting to thicken. At mile 75 I made my first stop at a rest area. Once off the bike I was hobbling like an old man as my lower back locked up. After a few short minutes i was rolling and paying the price. The bailout point was coming up I was very close to calling it a day. At mile 78 it was decison time and for some reason I decided to give the full 106 a shot. At mile 84 we hit a 4 mile descent. Normally this would be a 45 mph free fall, but the wet roads and 20 yard visibility had me terrified about a several hundred plunge down the side of the mountain. I feather the brakes and keep it between 25-28 mph. Probably just as well because it was very cold. I later found out that 5 people were treated for hypo-therma. Miles 90-104 were pretty uneventful. Usually this is were I'm gassed, but today I got and second wind and the legs bounced back and the arm pain subsided. I hit the entrance to Grandfather Mt at 6:30 minutes which was a 16 mph average.

I had not trained properly for this event and was expecting to be pushing the bike up a portion of the 20% grade. I didn't plan on giving up the ghost a 1/2 mile in the 2 miles of heck. Once off the bike both quads and the inner thighs locked up. I spent 10 minutes strecthing just to be able to walk. After walking 2/10's of a mile everything locked up again and i was alying in the shoulder not able to move. Beautiful spot for this, it was where they were taking event photos. Lord help me if I'm in 20-30 photos as background carnage. I did manage to get back on the bike at one point for a quarter of a mile, but I was pretty much resigned to walking most of the last mile. I actually passed two others pushing their bike as the climb was talking it's toll across the board. The last 2 miles ending up taking an hour. I finished around 7:30 with a bike computer time just south of 7 hours.

We took a shuttle off the mountain and thank goodness they had a warming tent at the base. i was the first finished of our party and stuck with a key to get to my towel and dry clothes. I had over an hour wait until my friend's arrival, but at least I was warm in my wet clothes. It will take several days to recover from this. It would be easier to describe what's not hurting right now rather than what's hurting. The beers flowed last nite and the hot tub felt great. End up crashing of the couch after the game. Official stats should be up in a day or so.

Two good lessons came from this ride. Next year I will do my first half ironman, I'm mentally prepared for the challenged. Secondly, Santa's elves can get started building a compact crank for me.

Great reports by everyone today. I never think to update over the weekend, but I barely have time to journal my stuff as it is. This week end for me was a step back weekend so I got lucky and just had to do a 6 miler on Saturday and 12 miler on Sunday. Everything went pretty well for me as I probably did not get as much rest as I needed to, but was able to finish both in pretty good time and still feel good. Sundays run was mostly in the rain and did hills, but I have been lucky this year and did not have to run in the rain all that much at all.

Wraith-As for hills, come to KY for about a month and you will not help but have to run on hills. I can't find anythnig but rolling hills to run on. From everything that I read, the hills is what makes you stronger and more apt to run better during the races. Others may have more proof of that, but I know the more I do, the better I feel as my training goes on. Keep up the good work. It is not easy to train with family obligations. Sometimes I wish I could take my kids out on a run with me just to get some of there energy burned off and they sleep a bit more. That might be the only way I can keep up with them.

Good job on all the 20's this weekend. I only have one more coming up this weekend then I will be in cruise mode for a bit till the race. Really looking forward to that. I was talking this weekend about the grind of training and how it becomes too much like a job. I love the runs, but I have trouble keeping that focus all the time like I feel I need to. Anyone else get this feeling or is it just me? I may not be describing it right or maybe I just need to vary my training or do more races. I am not bored by any means, but for me the grind just gets to me.

I'm doing the first 20 miles of the Fox Cities Marathon as a training run. Looking forward to seeing Keggers, who's volunteering as a course marshall. :thumbup:
I could tell it was a training run...gruecd was chatting it up with other runners as he ran by me. This was the first time I volunteered and here are some thoughts:1) Wearing a bright yellow vest really puts you in control. I had to block an intersection for runner safety and the drivers really respected what I had to do. :thumbup: Having said that, there are some pretty lousy drivers out there! I was at the intersection for 2.5 hours and saw maybe 5 near accidents. Luckily none were related to the marathon...just bad driving. I probably don't have to say it, but I will....be careful and watch out for cars when running!!!

2) It really does feel good to cheer people on. Lots of runners thanked me as they went by....and a few high fives. My hands got numb a few times from clapping for so long.

3) Everyone should volunteer at least once. It was great to get a different perspective of "race day." If you do volunteer, try to do it with another person. I was by myself the entire time and the experience would have been even more rewarding if I would have shared it with someone else.

4) I should have run it. :D

GREAT reports by everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great reports everyone, and awesome races 2Young and BnB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a great weekend, but a ####ty running weekend. From what I remember, Friday night was awesome. Unfortunately, I was out of commission almost all day Saturday because of it (stoopid!!!!). I set out for a hopefully 15-16 mile run on Sunday. Unfortunately it was 76 degrees with 86% humidity at the start of the run and am sure my energy stores were shot from my Friday stoopidity. I ran the trails behind our house for the first 5 miles (no wild boars in sight!); then took to the road. At mile 7 my HR started to escalate, even though I was running a full :30 per mile slower than I anticipated. I hit mile 9 back at our house, with my HR at 182. I walked my HR back under 150 sipping some Gatorade and told myself to HTFU. I went back out on the trails, and my HR hit 175 within .5 miles, and got to 180 after another mile. I slowed down even more and was able to get back to my house without stopping. I ran the last 1.5 miles at a HR of 180+ and was gassed. I ended up just getting 12.1 miles in, and was pretty pissed off. It was 86 degrees with 75% humidity when I finished, and I'm hoping that my training problems are solely heat/humidity related. Our forecast for tomorrow shows a low of 75 (UGHHHH!), with the humidity at 87% at 6:00 am when I'll be running :goodposting: . Even though I'm frustrated as hell, I plan on continuing to work out as hard as I can until the weather changes, in anticipation that when it does get cooler, I'll be able to add mileage FAST. As it is now, I'll be extremely lucky to get in one 16, one 18 and one 20 miler prior to attempting 31 (on a hilly challenging course). My next scheduled run is for next Sunday, and I will be in Fort Worth, where it is typically cooler. Fingers crossed that I get a break in the weather .

If jonmhend is still around, slip in a hill workout or two before the PF Chang's half. I've run the full marathon course twice, so I'm not familiar with the half, but I believe there are some rolling hills, and having that training under your belt will be a plus.

If you're in the Phoenix area, the road in South Mountain park is a good one. No, you needn't run up to the towers, lol, but rather continue down the road to the west (towards San Juan Point, or whatever it's called). I usually went 2-3 miles down and back for a total of 4-6. There are runners and bikers in there all the time, so make a friend and follow them. If you're by yourself, pay attention to the course so you don't end up taking a wrong turn and ending up at the towers anyhow! Also be sure to carry water. You might find water coolers from other training groups here and there, but don't count on it.
Thanks for the tip. I'm planning on starting to incorporate a few hills into my workouts. Right now I'm still just running straight out my front door. My normal loop is a 3 miler with no hills within that distance. I do have a 5 miler I did a few weeks ago that incorporated some hills, although they aren't very big (probably about 0.2 of a mile).Hit a new milestone last week - my 5th week PCP (post-couch-potato). Did more than 20 miles for the week (21.7 to be precise). Did my 3 mile loop 4 days, a 3.7 another and the long run was 6 on Saturday. I think from here on in I'm going to keep it to 5 days a week. Weather is starting to break a bit with lows predicted in the low 70's instead of low 80's. Can't wait for the 50-60's, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm curious - I hear people talking about ice baths and putting heat on sore tendons... Any good articles or info on the need for heat/ice and when each is called for? When you say ice-bath, are you really loading up your tub with ice or just sticking your feet into a bucket with cold water?

A few more race details from yesterday. I ended up 2nd in my AG for the swim and the run, 4th on the bike. I was the 16th fastest swimmer overall, 19th on the bike and 7th on the run. I smoked both transitions too. T2 was 50 seconds, but could have been a lot faster.
Truly outstanding race!! Most interesting to me was running w/o the Garmin, especially since I'm now so fully dependent on mine. :goodposting: :thumbup:

A few more race details from yesterday. I ended up 2nd in my AG for the swim and the run, 4th on the bike. I was the 16th fastest swimmer overall, 19th on the bike and 7th on the run. I smoked both transitions too. T2 was 50 seconds, but could have been a lot faster.
Truly outstanding race!! Most interesting to me was running w/o the Garmin, especially since I'm now so fully dependent on mine. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I somewhat agree that running w/o a Garmin can be faster; as I experienced this be flipping forgetting mine at my last duathlon. I went 21:09 (6:49 pace) during the first 5k (fast for me); but I believe it really cost me in the bike and somewhat on the final 5k (only 22:09 = 7:09 pace). Had I had the Garmin, I would have most likely run the first right at 7:00 pace; and feel pretty confident that I'd have had more in my legs for the bike portion. A Garmin makes me a smarter (actually less stoopid) runner, not necessarily faster.

Wraith-As for hills, come to KY for about a month and you will not help but have to run on hills. I can't find anythnig but rolling hills to run on. From everything that I read, the hills is what makes you stronger and more apt to run better during the races. Others may have more proof of that, but I know the more I do, the better I feel as my training goes on. Keep up the good work. It is not easy to train with family obligations. Sometimes I wish I could take my kids out on a run with me just to get some of there energy burned off and they sleep a bit more. That might be the only way I can keep up with them.

Good job on all the 20's this weekend. I only have one more coming up this weekend then I will be in cruise mode for a bit till the race. Really looking forward to that. I was talking this weekend about the grind of training and how it becomes too much like a job. I love the runs, but I have trouble keeping that focus all the time like I feel I need to. Anyone else get this feeling or is it just me? I may not be describing it right or maybe I just need to vary my training or do more races. I am not bored by any means, but for me the grind just gets to me.
My mom lives just outside Lexington so I know the hills down there are great. However, the drivers there scare the hell out of me so you will NEVER find me running on those roads!! Tri-man had a great suggestion about the Barrington area (right near my house). I need to do some research but that's going to be my best option for hill work I think.

Regarding "the grind," I feel that, too. I think anything you do because you enjoy it can get to be a grind when you feel like you "have" to do it all the time. Ask anyone who had trouble having children and they'll tell you things you'll have trouble believing!! Add in the pressures of a normally demanding life and there are going to be some of "those days." I guess that's where HDFU and little things like this thread come in!!

pigskinliquors said:
wraith5 said:
Truly outstanding race!! Most interesting to me was running w/o the Garmin, especially since I'm now so fully dependent on mine. :goodposting: :rolleyes:
I somewhat agree that running w/o a Garmin can be faster; as I experienced this be flipping forgetting mine at my last duathlon. I went 21:09 (6:49 pace) during the first 5k (fast for me); but I believe it really cost me in the bike and somewhat on the final 5k (only 22:09 = 7:09 pace). Had I had the Garmin, I would have most likely run the first right at 7:00 pace; and feel pretty confident that I'd have had more in my legs for the bike portion. A Garmin makes me a smarter (actually less stoopid) runner, not necessarily faster.
Interesting - in both tris I have done (and in all my training) I pretty much just use it to look at data afterward. I never consult the thing during a race (I leave the HR monitor off during races anyway - it is annoying to run with). During a race the last thing I am thinking about is the computer. Mostly I am cursing 'cause I got chicked again. ;) I like to have a look at how consistent my pacing is running and how my hill work is doing on the bike. Topofusion rocks for breaking down workouts into segments to see how well you are holding up.

pigskinliquors said:
Nice article on The Effects of Runningin Heat & Humidity. It suggests that HR increases up to 20 beats per minute bc of heat/humidity. IF my HR were 15 beats per minute for these runs I'd be ecstatic. I know I can't blame all on the weather, but it sure feels better than just presuming I'm out of shape.
I'm gonna have to dig to find it, but I have read a couple newer articles arguing that trying to replace all fluid lost (like this article says) is a bad idea and leads to over hydration during a race and cramping on the run portion of a tri.Besides, for me to replace all my fluids is impossible (I lose 4-5 lbs during a 45 minute pool swim, for cryin' out loud).

During a race the last thing I am thinking about is the computer. Mostly I am cursing 'cause I got chicked again. :wall:

I like to have a look at how consistent my pacing is running and how my hill work is doing on the bike. Topofusion rocks for breaking down workouts into segments to see how well you are holding up.
What means these things?
pigskinliquors said:
wraith5 said:
Truly outstanding race!! Most interesting to me was running w/o the Garmin, especially since I'm now so fully dependent on mine. :bye: :thumbup:
I 100% agree with that last statement! I think the Garmin is a great tool and it definitely makes me a better runner when I use it properly. For me, "properly" means watching my pace and HR, sticking to a realistic target until it's time to turn on the gas and not losing sight of what's actually going on around me (like, for instance, mile markers and Garmin splits not matching up because of the tangents I'm running...).

My mom lives just outside Lexington so I know the hills down there are great. However, the drivers there scare the hell out of me so you will NEVER find me running on those roads!! Regarding "the grind," I feel that, too. I think anything you do because you enjoy it can get to be a grind when you feel like you "have" to do it all the time. Ask anyone who had trouble having children and they'll tell you things you'll have trouble believing!! Add in the pressures of a normally demanding life and there are going to be some of "those days." I guess that's where HDFU and little things like this thread come in!!
I hear ya on the drivers. I can't run on just the road. I have to have a sidewalk to run on because I don't trust the drivers at all. Too many big pick up trucks with huge mirrors for my taste. I tried it, but nothing that I like doing.I agree also with this thread as a big motivational factor on things. It is nice to hear so many great stories and always pull me back to read more and think about the inspiring things many of you guys do during training and racing...I try to compose what I write out there. The only problem I have is when I go to write it, I usually forget what I had planned during the run.

jonmhend said:
I'm curious - I hear people talking about ice baths and putting heat on sore tendons... Any good articles or info on the need for heat/ice and when each is called for? When you say ice-bath, are you really loading up your tub with ice or just sticking your feet into a bucket with cold water?
Gruecd is the master of the ice-bath so maybe he can offer an article or 2 on the subject, but personally (thanks to gruecd) I dump ice into my tub, fill it enough to completely submerge my legs, get in & sit for about 15 minutes or so. It isn't all that bad after the initial shock of the water once you get used your balls pressing against your spine. I think after the initial 48 hours of a strain/injury you are typically supposed to use heat. On the achilles, where as was mentioned earlier there isn't great blood flow, I think it's especially important/helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread