What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rashida Tlaib (1 Viewer)

That is the whole point of this thread, but the Democrat argument seems to be this is a complete nothing burger not deserving of coverage. 

Again if this were (insert any random random white Republican name here) going on a tweet storm 2 seconds after a mass shooting blaming Islam and being completely wrong it would be top news on every MSM outlet. It’s the hypocrisy sho, this is a big reason why most people hate the MSM and why Boris and Trump win elections.
A tweet storm?  I thought it was just one tweet that she deleted (but I don't follow her so I can't say for sure). 

That is the whole point of this thread, but the Democrat argument seems to be this is a complete nothing burger not deserving of coverage. 

Again if this were (insert any random random white Republican name here) going on a tweet storm 2 seconds after a mass shooting blaming Islam and being completely wrong it would be top news on every MSM outlet. It’s the hypocrisy sho, this is a big reason why most people hate the MSM and why Boris and Trump win elections.
Not sure. 

I see your point but I was more impressed by your argument when I thought it was the protest. Again, deleting a tweet isn’t a huge story. Maybe if it was AOC, but Tlaib is far less known. 

There is so much that goes into deciding what stories are featured on the mainstream news. I have always been skeptical that political considerations plays anywhere near as big a role as conservatives consistently seem to believe that it does. 

Not sure. 

I see your point but I was more impressed by your argument when I thought it was the protest. Again, deleting a tweet isn’t a huge story. Maybe if it was AOC, but Tlaib is far less known. 

There is so much that goes into deciding what stories are featured on the mainstream news. I have always been skeptical that political considerations plays anywhere near as big a role as conservatives consistently seem to believe that it does. 
Ratings play the biggest part in determining what stories are featured. Recall that MSNBC was carrying Trump rallies live during the 2016 campaign and not because of political considerations. And Chris Matthews did a one-on-one almost one hour interview with him.

Not only that but in Widbil’s hypothetical he had someone blaming “Islam”. Tlaib errantly blamed white supremacy — not a race or religion. 
"Trump supporter" is Democratic code word for white supremacist, thus it could be viewed about race/religion

Last edited by a moderator:
"Trump supporter" is Democratic code word for white supremacist, thus it could be viewed about race/religion
I think you might be consuming too much ridiculous conservative media if you believe this.  I would suggest abstaining for a few months in an effort to detox.

How about we just swap out with black supremacy then?

Tell me how that would go over.

It would be weird to assume it was a such a group before any facts are out.  Hate crimes like this one against Jews in America are performed by whites more often than blacks.

But I don’t think that’s what you’re asking me to answer, right?

The Southern Poverty Law Center labels Black Hebrew Israelites as a black separatist movement having antisemitic and anti-white beliefs. Is there a material difference in that language and black supremacists?  I don’t think so.

It would be weird to assume it was a such a group before any facts are out.  Hate crimes like this one against Jews in America are performed by whites more often than blacks.

But I don’t think that’s what you’re asking me to answer, right?

The Southern Poverty Law Center labels Black Hebrew Israelites as a black separatist movement having antisemitic and anti-white beliefs. Is there a material difference in that language and black supremacists?  I don’t think so.
Get on this source police, because apparently he hasn’t heard the news.

She is the David Duke of the left.  She casts votes and spews rhetoric which reeks of anti-semitism.  She deserves criticism.  By itself, this event could be dismissed and excused.  
My post was about your terrible analogy, which you ignored.

Anyway, this post says more about how you feel about David Duke/white supremacists than anything else. Also, as a Jew, I'd like to ask that you kindly stop using false accusations of anti-Semitism in bad faith as a political weapon.

If you're wondering how I know it's in bad faith, it's because I can find dozens and dozens of worse examples from the right and neither you nor any other conservative around here has said a single word about any of them.

So please, stop pretending you care about us as a way to attack women of color whose politics you don't like. We're not buying it.

I agree with you. 

So far as I know, the Examiner is a conservative newspaper, but not a disreputable one, nothing like the sites I mentioned in the thread I started on this subject. And in any case, all of the instances cited by Jon are well documented. 
A day before you posted this, the Examiner published a column (written by a granddaughter of a literal Nazi who has appeared with white supremacists) arguing that the campaign of Bernie Sanders  (a Jew who lost a number of extended family members to the Holocaust), saying that while Sanders "may be ethnically Jewish" (wink wink) "his campaign is one of the most anti-Semitic in decades." I'm not gonna link to it here because I don't want to do anything to give them a single click, but you can see a screenshot here.

Still think it's a reputable newspaper?

Anyway, this post says more about how you feel about David Duke/white supremacists than anything else. Also, as a Jew, I'd like to ask that you kindly stop using false accusations of anti-Semitism in bad faith as a political weapon.

If you're wondering how I know it's in bad faith, it's because I can find dozens and dozens of worse examples from the right and neither you nor any other conservative around here has said a single word about any of them.

So please, stop pretending you care about us as a way to attack women of color whose politics you don't like. We're not buying it.
Disagree with you here. I do think that jon, and most other conservatives around here, care about anti-semitism and abhor it. 

A day before you posted this, the Examiner published a column (written by a granddaughter of a literal Nazi who has appeared with white supremacists) arguing that the campaign of Bernie Sanders  (a Jew who lost a number of extended family members to the Holocaust), saying that while Sanders "may be ethnically Jewish" (wink wink) "his campaign is one of the most anti-Semitic in decades." I'm not gonna link to it here because I don't want to do anything to give them a single click, but you can see a screenshot here.

First off I was referring to news reporting, not opinion pieces. 

Second, while that piece appears to be awful, I have to point out that during the 2016, many mainstream media sources did the same thing when they attacked Breitbart as being anti-Semitic, despite the fact that the writer of the piece being attacked was Jewish. 

Disagree with you here. I do think that jon, and most other conservatives around here, care about anti-Semitism and abhor it. 
Cool. Can you show me a single post from any of them criticizing anti-Semitism from conservative politicians or media like the ones I linked to?

I'll donate a dollar to ADL for every post from a conservative criticizing anti-Semitic undertones in stuff like Trump's speeches, McCarthy's tweets or Dobbs' rants that anyone can find.

In fact let's make it a dollar for every post from a conservative criticizing anti-Semitic undertones from anyone who isn't either a woman of color or an outright, open white supremacist like David Duke or Pat Nehlen.

Cool. Can you show me a single post from any of them criticizing anti-Semitism from conservative politicians or media like the ones I linked to?

I'll donate a dollar to ADL for every post from a conservative criticizing anti-Semitic undertones in stuff like Trump's speeches, McCarthy's tweets or Dobbs' rants that anyone can find.

In fact let's make it a dollar for every post from a conservative criticizing anti-Semitic undertones from anyone who isn't either a woman of color or an outright, open white supremacist like David Duke or Pat Nehlen.
I’m not going to look. Obviously conservative posters are going to focus on things liberals do wrong, and liberal posters are going to focus on things conservatives do wrong. I don’t think that really proves anything. 

I’m not going to look. Obviously conservative posters are going to focus on things liberals do wrong, and liberal posters are going to focus on things conservatives do wrong. I don’t think that really proves anything. 
If a liberal politician said something anti-Semitic or otherwise bigoted I would denounce it, 100%. I have no doubt I've done it many times.  Liberals here and elsewhere did it when Biden made some arguably racist comments a couple months ago like when he conflated "black" and "poor." Many liberals here and elsewhere denounced Omar's "all about the Benjamins" comment, despite it arguably being about lobbying and not anti-Semitism.  You're center/left (if I understand you correctly) and you're literally doing it in this thread.

Sorry but I think you're way off here. These are hypocritical attacks from people on the right who are pretending to be passionate about anti-Semitism for political reasons. I have zero doubt, and I have the evidence I just finished recounting to support it. 

If you're interested here's some good articles about this phenomenon written by Jews who are much better with words than I am (sorry that took a few minutes- it's much harder to find stuff in my twitter likes/retweets after the Nats' World Series run :) )

From one of the articles I linked, here's a particularly sharp example that explains exactly what's going on with the anti-Semitism attacks on "the squad" using MT Senator Steve Daines to make what I consider an irrefutable point:

This week, Donald Trump banged out a series of twisted tweets demanding that four congresswomen of color “go back” to the countries from which they came, utilizing a classic schoolyard racist trope that still rings in the ears of every nonwhite person in this country. When the backlash came, he raised Jews up like a shield with a Star of David daubed on it in thin, flaking paint to defend him. The four Democrats he targeted, he tweeted later, “hate Israel with a true and unbridled passion” and “have made Israel feel abandoned by the U.S.” They are, he continued, “Anti-Semitic...Anti-America,” and “anti-Israel, pro Al-Qaeda,” among other salvos, all in the past forty-eight hours.

Other Republicans took their cues from their president. Among them was Steve Daines, senator from Montana, who wrote: “Montanans are sick and tired of listening to anti-American, anti-Semite, radical Democrats trash our country and our ideals. This is America. We’re the greatest country in the world. I stand with @realdonaldtrump.”

According to the Jewish Virtual Library, the Jewish population of Montana stands at a scant 1,395. Daines has never made mention on his Twitter account of the anti-Semitic people and events in his home state—including Richard Spencer, whose hometown is Whitefish, Montana, nor Andrew Anglin, who released a troll storm so vile on a Jewish woman living in Whitefish that a court awarded her $14 million in damages this week. Daines declined to tweet out a statement of solidarity after a white nationalist gunned down eleven Jews in a synagogue in Pittsburgh; Daines was silent after another white nationalist attack on a synagogue in Poway, just outside San Diego, earlier this year. But when an issue was made of the President’s naked racism, Daines rode up with a cargo of Jews—imaginary Jews, silent Jews, the easiest kind of Jews to employ—to defend him. Daines isn’t the only example of right-wing politicians who wish to wield anti-Semitism as a convenient cudgel against their political enemies, with scant if any evidence. But Montana’s vanishingly small Jewish population makes it particularly clear that this strategy has little to do with flesh-and-blood Jews at all.
I'll point out that there is also nothing in Daines' twitter feed about the murderous anti-Semitic attack last week in Jersey City, although everyone could have probably guessed that.

This first thread which came up was this one, was a thread on Antisemitism where i posted more than a dozen posts on the topic, none of them centered around women of color.  Perhaps the most interesting post I found on that very thread directed towards you: 

FBG Moderator:   "You've been asked to drop the trolling accusing many conservatives of this. We get it. You showed it calling them garbage humans. Stop it or find a new board."

So I doubt we need to go down this road again.

Proves?  No.  It does provide evidence that the motivations for pointing it out are, at least, partly political and not fully from a position of morality as is passed off here all the time.  There is certainly something to TF's post.  I only say this because I see people condemn this sort of stuff regardless of who's saying and I see people condemn this sort of stuff depending on who's saying it.  Is it a coincidence?  Perhaps....it would be incredibly hard for me to believe.

This first thread which came up was this one, was a thread on Antisemitism where i posted more than a dozen posts on the topic, none of them centered around women of color.  Perhaps the most interesting post I found on that very thread directed towards you: 

FBG Moderator:   "You've been asked to drop the trolling accusing many conservatives of this. We get it. You showed it calling them garbage humans. Stop it or find a new board."

So I doubt we need to go down this road again.
Are any of your posts in that thread critical of conservative politicians and media who aren't literal white supremacists?  Your first post in that thread suggests your motivation was pretty much exactly what I'd expect:

There is a lot more anti-Israel sentiment on the left than the right.  
As for the mods' criticism of my post in that thread: note that Joe subsequently withdrew the trolling accusation when someone (Maurile?) pointed out that it obviously wasn't trolling.  As for what I wrote: I've owned up to mistakes in tone in the past, but I stand by every word I posted in that thread. I've articulated the reason for my anger and frustration with this tactic repeatedly, as have others (see the two articles I linked above).

If this forum wants to be a place that protects people who support and amplify white nationalism while using anti-Semitism as a shield or cudgel, from the anger of Jews like me who are justifiably mortified at seeing their faith and their history used in that way, that's certainly their choice to make. I don't think that's their intent or desire- I think they just misread my post there- but obviously I don't know.  But make no mistake- people who engage in the behavior I described (I didn't name any names, btw, just described the behavior in the abstract) are garbage. I stand behind that 100%.

Proves?  No.  It does provide evidence that the motivations for pointing it out are, at least, partly political and not fully from a position of morality as is passed off here all the time.  There is certainly something to TF's post.  I only say this because I see people condemn this sort of stuff regardless of who's saying and I see people condemn this sort of stuff depending on who's saying it.  Is it a coincidence?  Perhaps....it would be incredibly hard for me to believe.
If you wish this place to become a toilet bowl, you will continue to pursue these uncalled for personalizations and unfounded projections of evil motivations on other posters.  I find TB's post disgusting and am not going to engage in it.  It seems really hard for people to get, as things are really getting worse lately, but stick to discussing the topic.  

If a liberal politician said something anti-Semitic or otherwise bigoted I would denounce it, 100%. I have no doubt I've done it many times.  Liberals here and elsewhere did it when Biden made some arguably racist comments a couple months ago like when he conflated "black" and "poor." Many liberals here and elsewhere denounced Omar's "all about the Benjamins" comment, despite it arguably being about lobbying and not anti-Semitism.  You're center/left (if I understand you correctly) and you're literally doing it in this thread.

Sorry but I think you're way off here. These are hypocritical attacks from people on the right who are pretending to be passionate about anti-Semitism for political reasons. I have zero doubt, and I have the evidence I just finished recounting to support it. 

If you're interested here's some good articles about this phenomenon written by Jews who are much better with words than I am (sorry that took a few minutes- it's much harder to find stuff in my twitter likes/retweets after the Nats' World Series run :) )
OK. I don’t disagree with you often; but I certainly don’t see eye to eye with you here. 

As for the mods' criticism of my post in that thread: note that Joe subsequently withdrew the trolling accusation when someone (Maurile?) pointed out that it obviously wasn't trolling.  As for what I wrote: I've owned up to mistakes in tone in the past, but I stand by every word I posted in that thread. I've articulated the reason for my anger and frustration with this tactic repeatedly, as have others (see the two articles I linked above).
Context is everything. 

If you wish this place to become a toilet bowl, you will continue to pursue these uncalled for personalizations and unfounded projections of evil motivations on other posters.  I find TB's post disgusting and am not going to engage in it.  It seems really hard for people to get, as things are really getting worse lately, but stick to discussing the topic.  
Weird....there isn't a single individual that I mention.  I specifically talk about the action(s) not individuals.  Your "personalization" narrative may be appropriate for some things, but in this case its misguided.  I've not projected a motivation on anyone when stating an observed behavior.  Again, kept the comment to the behavior.  I stuck SPECIFICALLY to the topic.....the rest appears to be "projection" on your part, which is kind of ironic :shrug:  not to mention the personal nature of YOUR comment to someone who wasn't even talking to you.

Weird....there isn't a single individual that I mention.  I specifically talk about the action(s) not individuals.  Your "personalization" narrative may be appropriate for some things, but in this case its misguided.  I've not projected a motivation on anyone when stating an observed behavior.  Again, kept the comment to the behavior.  I stuck SPECIFICALLY to the topic.....the rest appears to be "projection" on your part, which is kind of ironic :shrug:  not to mention the personal nature of YOUR comment to someone who wasn't even talking to you.
If you read the discussion you were jumping into, you would see who it was mainly directed at.  And now the piling on begins.

How bout we all just take a break and get back to the issue at hand, which is demonizing Rashida for jumping to conclusions about who committed a hate crime.

If you read the discussion you were jumping into, you would see who it was mainly directed at.  And now the piling on begins.
I didn't jump into any discussion.  I made a comment to tim based on this post that is clearly talking about generalities of the board (not specific users).  I wasn't even talking to you :shrug:  

My comment was absolutely about the behavior and had no reference whatsoever to individual posters.

How bout we all just take a break and get back to the issue at hand, which is demonizing Rashida for jumping to conclusions about who committed a hate crime.
Tlaib ran unopposed after John Conyers seat was vacated.  Right now James Craig the DPD police chief and Tlaib have butted heads more than a few times.   Tlaib like Cortez often tweets and speaks out to the press before the actual facts are in. James Craig is a popular no-nonsense type of chief and I am sure he will support any candidate that runs against Tlaib next year. It will be a Dem candidate as no GOP ever runs in that district.

Tlaib ran unopposed after John Conyers seat was vacated.  Right now James Craig the DPD police chief and Tlaib have butted heads more than a few times.   Tlaib like Cortez often tweets and speaks out to the press before the actual facts are in. James Craig is a popular no-nonsense type of chief and I am sure he will support any candidate that runs against Tlaib next year. It will be a Dem candidate as no GOP ever runs in that district.
By all means, run the most competitive nominee, and if Tlaib continues to not be able to demonstrate restraint in public comments and that works against her, put someone better in.  Same with AOC.

My posts here are relevant to the issue at hand. Tlaib made a silly mistake, but not really any different than silly mistakes made on social media or in public comments by politicians on a regular basis that draw much less media or public attention and are subsequently deleted (I assume you don't need examples). So that raises the question- why did this one get disproportionate levels of attention?

My posts here are relevant to the issue at hand. Tlaib made a silly mistake, but not really any different than silly mistakes made on social media or in public comments by politicians on a regular basis that draw much less media or public attention and are subsequently deleted (I assume you don't need examples). So that raises the question- why did this one get disproportionate levels of attention?
People on the right, especially those sympathetic to Trump, seriously dislike Tlaib and AOC and others like them.  Their "otherness" to these folks sets them apart and makes them targets, and what exactly that "otherness" consists of will be fiercely debated by those who attack them, who will want it just to be about their liberalism, socialism, anti-israel sentiment or whatever, but it seems that the "otherness" that matters to those more supportive of Trump extends beyond politics and into a less agreeable realm.

People on the right, especially those sympathetic to Trump, seriously dislike Tlaib and AOC and others like them.  Their "otherness" to these folks sets them apart and makes them targets, and what exactly that "otherness" consists of will be fiercely debated by those who attack them, who will want it just to be about their liberalism, socialism, anti-israel sentiment or whatever, but it seems that the "otherness" that matters to those more supportive of Trump extends beyond politics and into a less agreeable realm.
Not sure that is totally true.   Many dems around here can`t stand Tlaib.   I think many people just don`t want people who act like Trump no matter what side you are on.

Yup. As evidenced by the fact that there are plenty of politicians who are liberal, have socialist tendencies, and-or have anti-Israel tendencies who don't seem to warrant this sort of attention and hatred.

For example- if anyone's got an explanation for why every conservative knows all about Tlaib, Omar and AOC but they never even mention people like Mark Pocan (an outspoken firebrand progressive who voted against the anti-BDS) other than the obvious one, I'm all ears.

It is ridiculous to say bernie is anti semitic or even hint that he isnt a real jew. I don't want to search for the article, but what on earth could they use to defend such a dumb statement? 

Because he accused another jewish guy of trying to buy an election? 

Not sure that is totally true.   Many dems around here can`t stand Tlaib.   I think many people just don`t want people who act like Trump no matter what side you are on.
I don't particularly care for the attention she garners, and insofar as she jumps to unfounded conclusions I don't support anyone who does that, regardless of party, race, nationality, or anything else.

I think people's quickness to jump on her comments certainly has to do with her "otherness" and it'd be hard to say that it's just based on the content of what she says, rather than that being mixed in with other relevant things that are readily apparent about her and others like her that Trump supporters typically complain about.

It is ridiculous to say bernie is anti semitic or even hint that he isnt a real jew. I don't want to search for the article, but what on earth could they use to defend such a dumb statement? 

Because he accused another jewish guy of trying to buy an election? 
From what I could tell from screenshots and tweets, it was about the alleged anti-Semitism of his "surrogates."

Based on the timing it seems to be an effort to do to Sanders (with zero justification) what was done to Corbyn in the UK (with some justification), with a minor "ethnically Jewish" cheap shot at him thrown in for good measure.

Yup. As evidenced by the fact that there are plenty of politicians who are liberal, have socialist tendencies, and-or have anti-Israel tendencies who don't seem to warrant this sort of attention and hatred.

For example- if anyone's got an explanation for why every conservative knows all about Tlaib, Omar and AOC but they never even mention people like Mark Pocan (an outspoken firebrand progressive who voted against the anti-BDS) other than the obvious one, I'm all ears.
1. Mark Pocan does not have featured articles about in every major publication like USA Today, Mother Jones, CBS News, Washington Posts, NY Post, The Guardian

2.  Mark Pocan does not say stuff like:  "Analysts need to be African Americans, not people that are not.  I think non-African Americans think African Americans all look the same."

3.  I have not heard of Mark Pocan before today. 

I have seen dozens of MSM articles on AOC and the rest of the squad.  Does that make people racist because they discuss politicians who are highly publicized and constantly in the news through stories and their tweets and their endorsements?  I find the tone of this thread taking a very disgusting and personal turn.    

1. Mark Pocan does not have featured articles about in every major publication like USA Today, Mother Jones, CBS News, Washington Posts, NY Post, The Guardian

2.  Mark Pocan does not say stuff like:  "Analysts need to be African Americans, not people that are not.  I think non-African Americans think African Americans all look the same."

I have seen dozens of MSM articles on AOC and the rest of the squad.  Does that make people racist because they discuss politicians who are highly publicized and constantly in the news through stories and their tweets and their endorsements?  I find the tone of this thread taking a very disgusting and personal turn.    
1. Those are pop culture articles about their nickname.  Every conservative was familiar with them well before that nickname was generated.

2. Way to take a quote out of context!  That was about facial recognition software analysts in Detroit, which is heavily African-American.  And Pocan has said plenty of firey stuff too. He accused the Trump administration of deliberately trying to destabilize the Middle East, for example.

3.  Yes, that's my point.

As for the "disgusting and personal" part- I've made no accusations directed at you (I think the absurd hyper-criticism that targets them based on race/gender is mostly done by conservative media looking for ratings, not its consumers). And you charge people and institutions with racism against white people all the time, so I'm not sure how you can find similar charges "disgusting."

:popcorn:

Sounds more like you are covering your ears.  You asked "why every conservatives knows" of the squad if not for racism and I pointed out the massive publicity they have received from the media, and you blew it off as nothing.  You have no interest in a factual discussion.  You have your little hateful theory and you stick to it, damn with the facts.  ....and no, I am not from Wisconsin.

Users who are viewing this thread