What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB A.J. Dillon, GB (1 Viewer)

You're my boy, Blue, but I disagree. This is Jones's show when he's healthy. Rodgers wants it that way, he'll likely get it that way. I roster Dillon in one league, so I wish it weren't so, but the story of Dillon's career might wind up being a huge "What could have been?" 

He's a pro-quality running back. He good. 
I agree Jones is the guy when the game is on the line and in critical situations.  However, Dillon has played well with his touches and pass blocked well when it was called for.  I think he is earning some trust (not nearly as much as Mr. Jones but some).  They want to keep Jones fresh for the stretch run.  I wouldn't be surprised with around 10 touches a game moving forward.  

Kind of like the DeAngelo Williams story?
DeAngelo wasn't built this way, and he at least got to split time with Stewart. This is going to be a real burying on the bench with a guy who's built to carry the rock for the end of the game by wearing guys down. He might never get that sort of chance. 

DeAngelo wasn't built this way, and he at least got to split time with Stewart. This is going to be a real burying on the bench with a guy who's built to carry the rock for the end of the game by wearing guys down. He might never get that sort of chance. 
I disagree.  I think Dillon's situation is a lot like DeAngelo Williams.  Two good RBs on one team and Dillon will not fade away anytime soon IMO.

Its not going to be typical that they split evenly in carries.

But it will be typical that we see Dillon every 3rd or 4th series for a bit.  And possibly down the stretch when they have big leads.  

Its a 17 game schedule and they have 2 capable backs.  They know Jones is "the" guy and to keep him fresh for the run and into the playoffs...you will see a 70-30ish 65-35ish split mostly.  Jones will get more touches because he is better and especially in the passing game.  But like we saw with Jamaal Williams here...the split won't go away.  They don't want to rely on and wear down one back.

Maybe A.J. is beoming a thing?? 

From Rotoworld: 

A.J. Dillon rushed eight times for 30 yards, hauling in all four of his targets for 49 yards and a receiving score in Green Bay's Week 5 win over the Bengals.

Dillon's four catches were the most he's recorded in a single game dating back to high school, exceeding his previous career-high of three receptions during a performance at Boston College. He had totaled eight catches through 17 appearances in the NFL until Sunday. It was surprising usage as his eight carries (behind Aaron Jones' 14) all came in a competitive game, seeing a career-high four targets to Jones' five. Dillon made the most of his targets, hauling in one at the pylon during the first quarter to ensure a 12-yard score. An insurance running back to this point, it's truly up in the air whether Dillon's 12 touches were an aberration or a sign of things to come. He should be rostered in 12-team leagues regardless.

AJ Dillon rushed 11 times for 59 yards in the Packers' Week 6 win over the Bears.

He wasn't targeted in the passing game. Dillon was out-carried 13-11 by Aaron Jones, who posted 76 yards on his totes and also caught all four of his targets for 34 yards and one touchdown. Dillon is seeing more work the last three weeks, averaging 13 touches per game in that span, but Jones remains the better bet for touchdowns and money touches in the scoring area. Dillon should still be rostered in all fantasy leagues as a standalone RB3 who would be an RB1 if something ever happens to Jones.

- NBC SportsEDGE

AJ Dillon rushed 16 times for 78 yards in the Packers' Week 8 win over the Cardinals. 

Dillon was not targeted in the passing game. Battering the Cardinals' leaky run defense for tough yardage all evening, Dillon's only disappointment was not finding the end zone, especially on the Packers' final drive where Aaron Jones was twice stood up from the one-yard line. Dillon did receive two handles inside the Cardinals' 11-yard line. Dillon looked like a dynamo in the desert, falling forward for extra yardage on seemingly every play. He has now cleared 11 carries in three of his past five games, carving out a real role behind Jones, who nevertheless remains comfortably as the No. 1. The Chiefs' soft run defense is on tap for Week 9. 

Oct 29, 2021, 12:17 AM ET

What are you guys’ thoughts on Dillon this week with ARod out?  I can totally see GB pound the rock against KC Def to minimize the risk of mistakes by Love and keep Mahomes & Co. on the sidelines.  

Do you guys see Dillon eclipsing the likes of secondary RB options like say - EMitchell, KHerbert, and DWilliams?  

It's not JUST Rodgers that's out.  It's Davante Adams and Robert Tonyon and it's Scantling too...that's a lot of fire power gone for a critical game; a featured game of the week (at least it was prior to Rogers' testing positive).  So for me, I've got a choice between Melvin Gordon or AJ Dillon.  I'm rolling with Dillon because I think I've seen enough of Gordon to know what's coming.  Dillon?  I think the very best is yet to come and that very best might start on Sunday.

It's not JUST Rodgers that's out.  It's Davante Adams and Robert Tonyon and it's Scantling too...that's a lot of fire power gone for a critical game; a featured game of the week (at least it was prior to Rogers' testing positive).  So for me, I've got a choice between Melvin Gordon or AJ Dillon.  I'm rolling with Dillon because I think I've seen enough of Gordon to know what's coming.  Dillon?  I think the very best is yet to come and that very best might start on Sunday.
Davante is not out 

all aboard the DILLON express ,for a couple of weeks anyways 

Dillon punched in two short touchdowns shortly after Jones exited the game in what appears to be a full takeover as a workhorse back in the Packers' offense. Never known for his pass-catching chops, Dillon looked the part on his 50-yard catch and run against the Seahawks. This came one week after Dillon caught all four of his targets for 44 yard against Kansas City. Dillon drafters have a top-5 fantasy running back on their roster if Jones misses significant time with the knee. Dillon gets the run funnel Minnesota defense in Week 11. 

With a completely stacked RB corp I'm looking at making a play, a trade offer for AJ Dillon. Wow, he sure looked studly last week, eh. The Packers say A Jones is not going on IR and most likely miss another week or two. That being said, many are predicting more AJ Dillon for the rest of the year even with Jones back in. What do you think?

I just offered Jacobs and J Williams (DEN) for AJ Dillon. 

With Chubb and Hunt on my IR bench I gotta do a 2 or 1 trade to make room. I suspect Chubb returning which means I gotta drop someone to start him off of IR bench. Dropping any WR's is out of the question. Kinda would like to hang onto D'Earnest until CLE RB situation is settled. 

I currently roster 8 RB's. That's eight. Never had a situation like this. 

Carter, Jacobs, Gordon, J Williams, Chubb, Hunt, D'Earnest, and Rhamondre Stevenson

With a completely stacked RB corp I'm looking at making a play, a trade offer for AJ Dillon. Wow, he sure looked studly last week, eh. The Packers say A Jones is not going on IR and most likely miss another week or two. That being said, many are predicting more AJ Dillon for the rest of the year even with Jones back in. What do you think?

I just offered Jacobs and J Williams (DEN) for AJ Dillon. 

With Chubb and Hunt on my IR bench I gotta do a 2 or 1 trade to make room. I suspect Chubb returning which means I gotta drop someone to start him off of IR bench. Dropping any WR's is out of the question. Kinda would like to hang onto D'Earnest until CLE RB situation is settled. 

I currently roster 8 RB's. That's eight. Never had a situation like this. 

Carter, Jacobs, Gordon, J Williams, Chubb, Hunt, D'Earnest, and Rhamondre Stevenson
I remember last season he was really good in the playoffs and when it got cold and snowy 

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/in-aj-dillon-packers-have-not-only-a-cold-weather-green-bay-back-but-also/article_e725798c-618d-56ce-bd77-aeb87317f087.html

He actually fumbled on a vicious hit against Tampa Bay. He got hammered on his forearm. Green Bay recovered, but we didn't see him the rest of the game, IIRC.

He was great against Tennessee in the snow during the regular season, going for about 130 yards on the day with a touchdown. 

He actually fumbled on a vicious hit against Tampa Bay. He got hammered on his forearm. Green Bay recovered, but we didn't see him the rest of the game, IIRC.

He was great against Tennessee in the snow during the regular season, going for about 130 yards on the day with a touchdown. 
ya my memory is a fit fuzzy as to the games,but i know he looked awesome in a snow game and hes played in Boston where it snows. Im thinking he will be used a lot more  when the weather gets bad

ya my memory is a fit fuzzy as to the games,but i know he looked awesome in a snow game and hes played in Boston where it snows. Im thinking he will be used a lot more  when the weather gets bad
Your point is taken. Just wanted to set the record straight about the playoffs and all. Aaron Jones was the guy in the playoffs, though he also fumbled on a vicious hit against Tampa Bay. Thump. 

I looked it up. Dillon fumbled against the LA Rams in the first game of the playoffs, I believe. Jones fumbled against Tampa Bay. 

So I'm wrong, too. 

Your point is taken. Just wanted to set the record straight about the playoffs and all. Aaron Jones was the guy in the playoffs, though he also fumbled on a vicious hit against Tampa Bay. Thump. 

I looked it up. Dillon fumbled against the LA Rams in the first game of the playoffs, I believe. Jones fumbled against Tampa Bay. 

So I'm wrong, too. 
I`m assuming these next 2 games will make or break Dillon as far as his future goes ,he has an opportunity to cement his claim to the future . 

I`m assuming these next 2 games will make or break Dillon as far as his future goes ,he has an opportunity to cement his claim to the future . 
Jones will be in Green Bay for another year. They like to have two guys and Jones doesn't have a real out in his contract until then because of dead cap hits and the like. 

But I agree that we'll know a lot more about Dillon over the next week or two. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 11 fantasy stats: Behold the amount of ways Cowboys can crush you

Excerpt:

A.J. Dillon ranks 7th in yards after contact per attempt (RBs with 90+ carries)

As he gets set for his first career start, the bruising Packers back draws a matchup with a Vikings defense that ranks 31st in rushing EPA allowed over the last month.

The question is not, “Is A.J. Dillon a top-10 back this week?” It’s how high can we rank him inside the top-10?

I’m expecting Dillon to get two 20-plus touch starts in the next two games as it makes little sense to push Aaron Jones back before the bye when the former has played well this season. The Rams matchup is less juicy than the Vikings’ spot but that should still be a high-scoring game and we’ve seen Dillon’s scoring-area upside.

Even when Jones comes back, who’s to say this doesn’t turn into a 50/50 or even 60/40 split considering Dillon was already carving a huge role in this backfield? It would help keep Jones fresh and unleashing the fury of a massive power runner in the winter months paired with an ascending defense sounds like a winning formula for Green Bay. Dillon could be a mid-RB2 even with Jones back for December.

You could think about selling high on the opportunity-based hype on Dillon right now or after this week. I’d pass. There are very few guys more valuable than Dillon as long as he starts in Green Bay. It’s about getting wins to make sure you make the fantasy playoffs. If you have Dillon, you’re feeling a lot better about your chances now than you were a week ago, all because of him.

I traded for him this morning. I gave up Evans and my 4th round 2022 for Dillon and his 2nd round 2022. Evans inconsistently is hard to predict especially with Gronk and AB maybe coming back. Have Swift, Patterson, Gordon, and Moss. D. Adam's, Lockett, D. Smith and Sutton. 

I traded for him this morning. I gave up Evans and my 4th round 2022 for Dillon and his 2nd round 2022. Evans inconsistently is hard to predict especially with Gronk and AB maybe coming back. Have Swift, Patterson, Gordon, and Moss. D. Adam's, Lockett, D. Smith and Sutton. 
I traded for AJ and a 9th rd pick , giving away my 4th rd pick next season and rb Eno Benjamin 

I plan on franchising AJ next season 

Any other Dillon owners also own A. Jones trying to decide what to do this week? I have decided to start both Jones and Montgomery as RB1 and RB2, also need a RB3. I'm having a tough time trying to decide if it is a positive or negative starting both GB RB's this week.

Great matchup vs the Bears with GB having a Vegas high team total but the Complicated Fellow at QB has already told us and shown us himself that he still owns the Bears. Will Rodgers flex his muscles and back up his statement to rack up passing yards and TD's, sucking up fantasy points away from the 2 RB's?

Perfect scenario- Rodgers and Jones rack up points for 2-3 quarters and Dillon cleans up during garbage time. 

Any other Dillon owners also own A. Jones trying to decide what to do this week? I have decided to start both Jones and Montgomery as RB1 and RB2, also need a RB3. I'm having a tough time trying to decide if it is a positive or negative starting both GB RB's this week.

Great matchup vs the Bears with GB having a Vegas high team total but the Complicated Fellow at QB has already told us and shown us himself that he still owns the Bears. Will Rodgers flex his muscles and back up his statement to rack up passing yards and TD's, sucking up fantasy points away from the 2 RB's?

Perfect scenario- Rodgers and Jones rack up points for 2-3 quarters and Dillon cleans up during garbage time. 
I’m starting both. Have had that mindset since the beginning of the week. Dillon is my flex

I'd like to be able to start both. But between 2 RB spots and a flex I've got Chubb, Patterson, and the Green Bay RBs. Feel like Chubb and Patterson have to be in my lineup. I'm pretty much locked into my seed for the playoffs next week, so I'm sticking with Jones right now. I have a feeling picking between the two is going to cost me in the playoffs. 

Wish I'd have traded one for WR help before our deadline. Or better yet, wish Patterson had WR eligibility in our league so I could play them all. 

I'll probably be right here next week revisiting this question. 

I'm leaning toward starting both Jones and Dillon, expecting the Packers to rack up points with Dillon as the 4th quarter hammer. First time I have ever had so many players in one game- Rodgers, Jones, Dillon, Montgomery, and Mooney. 

AJ Dillon rushed 15 times for 71 yards in Week 14 against Chicago.

It's the second straight week Dillon has out-touched Aaron Jones since returning from a knee injury. Dillon also won the playing time battle, getting 57% of the offensive snaps. The Packers' second-half blowout played a role in that, but Green Bay looks committed to keeping Dillon as their between-the-tackles complement to Jones. With Jones nearing pre-injury form, Dillon will be hard to trust as more than a low-ceiling RB3 for Week 15 against the Ravens.

Dec 13, 2021, 12:15 AM ET

It's going to be in the single digits in Green Bay this weekend. Thinking this would benefit a bruising RB like Dillon.

A couple other things in Dillon's favor this weekend. A.Jones has been limited in practice this week. with a knee injury. Kirk Cousins is out, which likely means an easy win for GB. If GB pulls away early isn't it likely they use Dillion to out the game away on the ground and not risk further injuring Jones?

I think A.J. has a chance for a big game 

AJ could have a great game on Sunday for sure, but I would just say that it seems to me the media, fans and FF players almost always overstate the effect the weather will have on a game. I've lived in the uppder midwest almost my entire life, played many cold-weather games and attended at least a dozen or more games at Lambeau with negative wind-chills and single digit temps.  They will be cold, but the field won't be frozen and it won't necessarily favor one player over another in my experience.

AJ could have a great game on Sunday for sure, but I would just say that it seems to me the media, fans and FF players almost always overstate the effect the weather will have on a game. I've lived in the uppder midwest almost my entire life, played many cold-weather games and attended at least a dozen or more games at Lambeau with negative wind-chills and single digit temps.  They will be cold, but the field won't be frozen and it won't necessarily favor one player over another in my experience.
I'm not talking about just the weather. Minnesota will be lucky to have yardage or TOP advantages, and the GB RB duo should have a field day if this holds up 

AJ Dillon rushed 14 times for 63 yards and two touchdowns, adding two catches for 20 yards in the Packers' Week 17 win over the Vikings.

Dillon scored twice from four and seven yards out in the second half, notable considering Aaron Jones has generally been the preferred goal-line back for the Packers this year. The second-year pro looked impossible to tackle on his scoring plunges, as Vikings defenders couldn’t quite drag down the 250-pound runner. With that being said, Dillon got the majority of his work with the Packers up three scores, while Jones was the lead back in the first half. The Packers have clinched the top seed in the NFC, so Dillon may not play much (or at all) in Week 18.

Jan 2, 2022, 11:19 PM ET

Big props about his catch rate from the Podfather at RotoUnderworld. 92% last year. Is that right? Whoa. 

Aaron Jones is an excellent player, but there's an out in that contract after this year. Could get interesting. 

Big props about his catch rate from the Podfather at RotoUnderworld. 92% last year. Is that right? Whoa. 

Aaron Jones is an excellent player, but there's an out in that contract after this year. Could get interesting. 
He looked like the real deal in all facets last year, and that was hard to come to terms with as a long-time Jones truther.

Unless I were a super contender and really needed Jones, I’d be putting him on the block in dynasty. 

I've been holding Dillon since his rookie year.  I am hopeful this is the year I get to actually start him...

I had jones and Dillon last year and down the stretch I was sitting both of them because there didn't appear to be anything there you could count on.

I've been holding Dillon since his rookie year.  I am hopeful this is the year I get to actually start him...

I had jones and Dillon last year and down the stretch I was sitting both of them because there didn't appear to be anything there you could count on.
 I started AJones down the stretch and he helped me to a Chip by scoring 21.5, 15.0, 13.7 and 15.6. In ppr, if Jones is healthy enough to play, he’s worth starting imo. Maybe that changes this coming year and the really is a changing of the guard in the making, but until then, I’m riding Jones until he wilts on my roster. 

Users who are viewing this thread