What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (4 Viewers)

Christian McCaffrey - RB -  Panthers

Speaking Thursday, Panthers coach Ron Rivera declined comment on specific players he might rest in Week 17 but reiterated he wants to "evaluate some young players."

"We have some plans for some guys," was as specific as Rivera was willing to get. It certainly sounds like he is planning to give Christian McCaffrey a bit of a breather, but the Panthers don't have any other young players at running back worth evaluation. It could simply be Cameron Artis-Payne running out the string of the Panthers' sideways season.

Source: Joseph Person on Twitter 

Dec 27 - 2:33 PM

I confess I didn't read all 59 pages of this thread, so if my take has already been mentioned, sorry.

While the fact McCaffrey is an oddity today that being a speedy, elusive white RB he isn't the only/first one.

Back in the day TCU had Cy Leland, he was world record sprinter (9.5yards). Glen Davis the Mr.Outside (9.6 sprinter)in that famed Army's Mr.Outside and Mr.Inside (Doc Blanchard, both won the Heisman) backfield. I think Davis had a short nothing career as a Detroit Lion.

"Jaguar" Jon Arnett (24 foot long jumper at USC) was fast, elusive, with serious quicks, played for the Rams, had a solid pro career.  The great Hugh "The King' McElhenny (Cali State hurdles champ) was as elusive as elusive gets, a fantastic runner. A Hall of Famer.(Niner)

The Chargers had darter Dickie Post, while not a burner he had amazing qucks and agility. Would be in the slot today.

Craig James had good sped and some wiggle, he is the last speedy white RB to have a 1000 yard rushing season in the NFL, as a Pat.

While McCaffrey did run track he really wasn't all that, but "good" football speed.  His grandpa Dave Sime the real sprinter in the family, a 1960 Olympic 100m silver medalist and still considered one of the fastest white American sprinters ever.

The huge difference in black/white speed is that size/speed combo, we only find 220 pounders/4.4, or 6-3 4.4, coming from those with western African roots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long before McCaffrey......

5 -- Cy Leland ('30): One of the fastest men in the world he tied the WORLD RECORD in the 100-yard dash with a time of 9.4 seconds in 1930 he turned all that speed loose on the football field to become the first great halfback in TCU history. In 1929, he was All-SWC and led the Frogs to an undefeated season and their first-ever SWC title, rushing for 680 yards and scoring 13 touchdowns (11 rushing) a record that would stand for 26 years. The Lubbock native averaged 7.2 yards every time he carried the ball best in the nation. He also returned a kickoff and a punt for touchdowns both over 90 yards. He was an unmatched breakaway runner in the days of "four yards and a cloud of dust." He was All-SWC again in 1930, as well as an All-American, when he rushed for 583 yards and nine more T

CMC 1,000 / 1,000 Tracker

Final Stats:

219 carries for 1,098 yards and 7 TD's

107 receptions for 867 yards and 6 TD's

1 pass for 50 yards and 1 TD

1,965 total yards and 14 total TD's

We didn't reach 1K/1K but it's safe to say CMC was a complete beast this year. Til next year gents.

CJ Anderson can't sniff the field in CMac land, moves to LA and relegates Gurley to the 2nd team.  Just saying........

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said the team hopes to lighten Christian McCaffrey's workload.

Carolina seemingly brought in C.J. Anderson last offseason to do just that, but they ended up cutting him in November with McCaffrey playing nearly 100 percent of the snaps. The Panthers likely want McCaffrey to get a few more plays off this season, but he will remain a good bet for 300 touches no matter who they bring in.

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Feb 28, 2019, 8:55 AM

I think it might be good for him if he can still get the same number of touches but not play all of the snaps.  We don't want him wearing down on us.

I think it might be good for him if he can still get the same number of touches but not play all of the snaps.  We don't want him wearing down on us.
I loved it when he ran 70 yards to the 2 and instead of coming out for a breather like most backs, was first to the huddle and then ran it into the end zone.

Christian McCaffrey is not concerned about his workload.

McCaffrey played a stunning 91.3 percent of Carolina's offensive snaps last season despite playing just 10 in the season finale. The Panthers have talked about bringing someone in to lighten that load, but McCaffrey thinks he can handle the work. "I played in every game last year, felt great," McCaffrey said. "I can do it again. I feel I can do it over the next many years." Even if Carolina drafts a running back, McCaffrey should remain one of the highest-volume backs in the league this season.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 11, 2019, 8:02 AM

Speaking Tuesday, Christian McCaffrey revealed he underwent "minor" shoulder surgery following his 2017 rookie season.

McCaffrey was injured in Week 12, but he put off the operation until the end of the Panthers' playoff run. "(I) didn’t want to tell anyone," McCaffrey said. It was not an issue during McCaffrey's sophomore season, where he averaged 5.01 yards per carry and caught a running back-record 107 passes. Headed into his age-23 campaign, McCaffrey insists he is not worried about last year's monster workload.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 11, 2019, 4:00 PM

He'll come to camp bigger and faster.

Well I predicted stronger a faster, but this is just insane.  I figured he'd have one of the best work ethics in the league...hope it's just that and not some chemical help.  You can see his quad muscles through his sweat pants.  Love the sleeveless hoodie look.  I do wonder how lugging around 30 pounds arms is going to help his game.

Great call @BassNBrew on CMC coming into camp bigger.

I don't think anyone would have predicted he'd come in looking like the love child of an orgy between The Hulk, Juggernaut, and David Boston, but wow. 
I think he's bulking up to switch to LT by the end of his rookie contract.

Oh...and here's the faster portion.

https://www.stack.com/a/why-christian-mccaffrey-is-training-like-a-track-athlete-this-offseason

So while he's packing on all that muscle, he's supposedly working on increasing his speed.

Not a fan of the Michael Pittman arms on a RB. Wasted weight for the most part. Look at LT2. Relatively smallish arms but huge thighs and butt. That's the jam for an RB.

I love how the Panthers proved me right with the CJ Anderson acquisition.

Last summer, when everyone and his dog were saying that CMC's high draft position must mean that the Panthers intended for CMC to become the feature back, I was a lone voice in the wilderness pointing out that no, the Panthers were quite clear about their plans for CMC to play a complementary, receiving role to Stewart, the grinder.

As the season wore on and it became clear that this was exactly what was happening, the CMC Kool-Aid drinkers then claimed that next season CMC would be the feature back when Stewart was gone. And I said no, just you wait and see, they'll bring in another grinder to feed the ball with so CMC can be the complementary, receiving guy again.

Et voila, here he is. And btw CJ Anderson is a far stronger player than Jonathan Stewart at this point of their respective careers. 

Even allowing for some improvement in his second year, I think that makes CMC's numbers last year with the elderly, worn-out Stewart, as opposed to the powerful, sustaining, Anderson a ceiling, not a floor for this year. In other words, he'll be lucky to put up last year's numbers. If you own him, now is sell high territory.

I fully predict that in the years to come CMC will go the whole Danny Woodhead and become the career 3rd down back his doppelganger Woodhead was. 

1 year anniversary bump of this beauty.

Christian McCaffrey says he has gotten "way stronger" than he was in 2018.

McCaffrey's offseason workouts have been catching attention on social media. CMC also claims he has gotten faster in addition to stronger. "The faster I can get, the better as well," McCaffrey said. "You can always get bigger, faster, stronger. ... I don’t have any choice. I have to." Coming off a season where he led all running backs in snaps by a significant margin, McCaffrey is going all out as he seeks long-term effectiveness and durability. An elite receiver who averaged 5.0 yards per carry as a sophomore, McCaffrey is a cinch top-five pick in fantasy drafts. He does not turn 23 until next month.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

May 14, 2019, 4:25 PM ET

Considering McCaffrey with the overall #1 pick, why would or wouldnt that be a good idea?
Pro: He's good, real good. The Panthers with a  healthy Cam will have a good offense. 

Con: Cam threw him a lot more passes after his injury last year. A healthy Cam will want to push the ball further down the field this year limiting his receptions. 

Saquon Barkley is why it wouldn't be a good idea.
Barkley is definitely a more talented back but is the situation as good? Barkley has a tough rushing schedule and on a ####ty team who will probably be playing from behind quite a bit this year. OBJ is gone, who is the main threat on that team now?

mccaffrey owner here and fully on board with sky is the limit for this kid. buuuuuuuut, as a general narrative and within this context of the #1 pick for the year. there is absolutely a possibility of a regression on usage here with Cam back in the picture healthy. I'd think the Panthers have to focus around Cam this year if for nothing else because of his contract coming up for renewal next year, which is already being talked about now in the media. that i think will have to mean more Cam and less mccaffrey at some level. so i personally would lean heavily to barkley if i was in a redraft league.  giants have to lean on him. no more obj to bail out whoever ends up at qb there.

if it turns out Cam is not back to form with the new throwing motion and what not reported so far, then this choice would be much much closer.

Barkley is definitely a more talented back but is the situation as good? Barkley has a tough rushing schedule and on a ####ty team who will probably be playing from behind quite a bit this year. OBJ is gone, who is the main threat on that team now?
If the Giants are playing from behind Barkley will catch a ton of passes.

I don’t think you could go wrong either way to be honest. Both should be great but both have some minor risks.

If the Giants are playing from behind Barkley will catch a ton of passes.

I don’t think you could go wrong either way to be honest. Both should be great but both have some minor risks.
Agree with this. To me Barkley's floor remains really high in ppr even in a potentially bad offense because they'll have to run it through him and he'll catch a lot of passes (for the record I think their WRs are a little underrated, but the OL/QB situation is...dicey).

In addition to Cam's health, the Panthers have talked about reducing CMC's workload and that seems pretty likely given they used him a ton last year (his reception usage was record-breaking). But if Cam is good, the upgrade in the OL and further maturity for Moore could make for an efficient offense.

Users who are viewing this thread