What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (3 Viewers)

He's going to be a very tough guy to rank this off-season. Talent is off the charts, but playing for a coaching staff that doesn't trust him enough to stay healthy. Maybe Ekeler-lite is the best one can hope, although with much less volume.

Will be interesting to see what Detroit does with Jamaal, FA & the draft
I think it might be best for Swift's fantasy prospects if Jamaal returns. Hard to expect that Jamaal can put up that kind of season again and he's not the most dynamic runner.

If Jamaal gets signed away, have to imagine they'll get a pretty credible complimentary banger in FA or the draft, such as a David Montgomery, Mattison, etc.

He's going to be a very tough guy to rank this off-season. Talent is off the charts, but playing for a coaching staff that doesn't trust him enough to stay healthy. Maybe Ekeler-lite is the best one can hope, although with much less volume.

Will be interesting to see what Detroit does with Jamaal, FA & the draft
I think it might be best for Swift's fantasy prospects if Jamaal returns. Hard to expect that Jamaal can put up that kind of season again and he's not the most dynamic runner.

If Jamaal gets signed away, have to imagine they'll get a pretty credible complimentary banger in FA or the draft, such as a David Montgomery, Mattison, etc.
Interesting contrarian take, since most Swift owners like myself are shaking their fists at Jamaal, wanting him gone at any cost. You make a very good point.

We can wish him away all we want but King Vulture will be back.

Hope so. KV gets all the tough yards.

Great leader & teammate as well. Rodgers & Aaron Jones went on and on about him this week - dude has great energy and keeps everyone positive. 100% effort, every day.

Fantasy owners are toxic af sometimes.
I am a little annoyed that I drafted Jamaal Williams with ... 1.07 or 1.08 as a rookie, he does very little because Aaron Joens, drafted at the END of the rookie draft turns out to be the big dog. Then I eventually trade Jamaal as a little throw-in, and soon thereafter draft Swift, and now we have this 😅 Not saying it's rational to want Williams gone, just my fantasy wishes.

Swift arguably won the game for the Lions last night with a couple of clutch receptions and that hook & step-stool run at the end.

That he came back to do it after that vicious hit said a lot, too.

I expect his role to increase next year. I’d absolutely be willing to take the gamble on him in the 3rd-4th of redrafts, and may try to buy low on him in dynasty, though the latter is probably less realistic due to investment.

Swift arguably won the game for the Lions last night with a couple of clutch receptions and that hook & step-stool run at the end.

I expect his role to increase next year. I’d absolutely be willing to take the gamble on him in the 3rd-4th of redrafts, and may try to buy low on him in dynasty, though the latter is probably less realistic due to investment.
Hard to imagine it getting lower at 147 touches this year (only 99 carries), unless he's out for a stretch. Going into his last year of his rookie deal, the Lions also don't have any incentive to be concerned about his long-term health if they want to run him into the ground.

Hard to imagine it getting lower at 147 touches this year (only 99 carries), unless he's out for a stretch. Going into his last year of his rookie deal, the Lions also don't have any incentive to be concerned about his long-term health if they want to run him into the ground.
He may have plenty of incentive to stay on the field though. It is likely a make or break season for him.

He may have plenty of incentive to stay on the field though. It is likely a make or break season for him.
Agreed - obviously can't control major injuries, but hopefully closer to the Josh Jacobs route than the Damien Harris route in the last year of his rookie deal.

Agreed - obviously can't control major injuries, but hopefully closer to the Josh Jacobs route than the Damien Harris route in the last year of his rookie deal.
I do believe the talent is there.

DET should he throwing the ball to him a lot more, as evidenced by the success he had in last night’s game.

Pounding him into a wall up the middle is not a recipe for success. And as @rockaction points out, he’s unable to bounce it outside in those situations either (most RBs can’t to be fair) - I just don’t get his usage sometimes.

DET should he throwing the ball to him a lot more, as evidenced by the success he had in last night’s game.

Pounding him into a wall up the middle is not a recipe for success. And as @rockaction points out, he’s unable to bounce it outside in those situations either (most RBs can’t to be fair) - I just don’t get his usage sometimes.
slap on some austin ekeler footage in that detroit rb room imo

Immense talent, just that his running style clearly isn't what works well for Campbell & Co. Probably a better fit elsewhere, but he may not get that chance if he doesn't produce next year.

slap on some austin ekeler footage in that detroit rb room imo
100%

or at the least, some 2021 Swift footage.

He actually finished this year with higher receiving totals than his rookie year, and the highest average YPC on the ground. I would think if he could have started more than 8 games he would have had his best year as a pro.

But yeah - he needs 6-10 targets a game. It's criminal if they don't use him that way.

Not going to be a bell cow but should be used more, especially in space, then Lions used him IMO. 10-12 carries and 4-5 receptions a game is all he needs to in at least low end RB1 range and that seems doable, basically close to his 2021 usage. Obviously not sure if not reaching that target this year was his health or the team ultimately deciding his best usage was a COP back and that to me is his big mystery heading into next season but he's still got a fairly safe floor. Kind of impressive on about 7 carries and 3.5 receptions a game he was RB19 in PPG when another RB is getting almost all of the goal line TD's.

If you want to dream big imagine him getting that Ekeler type 12/5 usage and seeing those 17 TD's that went to Jamaal spread out more. It's not a pipe dream.

Not going to be a bell cow but should be used more, especially in space, then Lions used him IMO. 10-12 carries and 4-5 receptions a game is all he needs to in at least low end RB1 range and that seems doable, basically close to his 2021 usage. Obviously not sure if not reaching that target this year was his health or the team ultimately deciding his best usage was a COP back and that to me is his big mystery heading into next season but he's still got a fairly safe floor. Kind of impressive on about 7 carries and 3.5 receptions a game he was RB19 in PPG when another RB is getting almost all of the goal line TD's.

If you want to dream big imagine him getting that Ekeler type 12/5 usage and seeing those 17 TD's that went to Jamaal spread out more. It's not a pipe dream.
Swift pretty much put himself in that position though after balling out in week 1, but getting nicked up in the process, and then getting nicked up again the next few games before going on IR. Had he made it through those first few games, Jamaal may have been nothing more than a situational/short yardage guy with, say, 6-8 vultured TDs.

Old news though, we'll see what the future holds.

I agree - the only downside is that he's tanked his dynasty value. So shareholders (like me, since he was the cornerstone of the orphan I took over) have to wait and see, or sell at rock bottom price (which I have no interest in doing).

I might put him on the block before the '23 draft just to see if I get a nibble - it's a 16-team league, so maybe someone wants to take a shot at him. I would be unlikely to accept less than a 1st and a 2nd though.

Instead of wishing for Jamaal to be gone, we may need to accept the reality that Swift is just not durable enough to be a reliable fantasy asset. All the talent in the world doesn't help if it is not on the game field.
Kind of like Dalvin Cook?
Fair question.

In 2022, Swift only once ran for over 100 yards. In fact, he only topped 50 yards rushing 5 times.

Dalvin topped 100 yards rushing only twice. However, he went over the 50-yard mark twice as often as Swift, topping 50 yards rushing 10 times.

Over the past three seasons (his entire NFL career), Swift hasn't fared much better than he did in 2022. In 2021, he topped 100 yards rushing twice, and in his 2020 rookie campaign, he reached that milestone only once.

By comparison, Dalvin Cook topped the century mark 12 times over that same period.

The biggest issue I have with Swift is inconsistency and lack of reliability. He is good depth for a fantasy team, but he has not justified his draft investment.

And as @rockaction points out, he’s unable to bounce it outside in those situations either (most RBs can’t to be fair) - I just don’t get his usage sometimes.

Oh, I was just saying he was having trouble following the blocking scheme set forth by the coaches. Swift is fast enough to bounce it outside. That isn't what I meant to convey at all. Often, bouncing it outside will result in losses, but it's not because he can't do it at a better rate than most, it's that it fails most of the time anybody does it.

I just meant that when coaches want you to run a scheme where you're supposed to be between the tackles, they want you to run between the tackles (for the most part because running is part instinct, too).

And as @rockaction points out, he’s unable to bounce it outside in those situations either (most RBs can’t to be fair) - I just don’t get his usage sometimes.

Oh, I was just saying he was having trouble following the blocking scheme set forth by the coaches. Swift is fast enough to bounce it outside. That isn't what I meant to convey at all. Often, bouncing it outside will result in losses, but it's not because he can't do it at a better rate than most, it's that it fails most of the time anybody does it.

I just meant that when coaches want you to run a scheme where you're supposed to be between the tackles, they want you to run between the tackles (for the most part because running is part instinct, too).
They don't trust him as much as they do Williams. He was healthy enough to receive more touches than he did. IMO Beat reporters were soft on providing information on what was going on behind the scenes regarding his lack of usage.

Not a very knee-biting type of running style, which might explain as much as anything his limited usage.

He was healthy enough to receive more touches than he did

Some snippets from the article below and to me it's debatable if he was healthy enough to receive more touches but without a doubt sounds like injuries plagued him all season:

Swift said he plans to meet with "a couple doctors" about his injuries in the coming weeks, but is operating under the assumption he will return to full health with time off.

Swift suffered a high ankle sprain in the first half of the Lions' season-opening loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, then separated his left shoulder two weeks later in a loss to the Minnesota Vikings

But he said he still was bothered by a shoulder injury that limited what he could do in the weight room all year.

"It was kind of just pushing through it," he said. "I feel like I was at a standstill with it, just had to make it work the best way I could."

As for his offseason plans, Swift said he'll be back working out once his body heals and he gets the all-clear from doctors with an eye on being more consistently productive in 2023.

"I play a violent game and I know that, but things I can’t control is things I can’t control," he said. "All I can do is respond and I feel like I did that. With the cards I was dealt early on, playing through a high ankle and the whole season with a separated shoulder, just doing what I can week in and week out, like I said, I’m blessed to be able to do that but get time off, get back, reset, let everything heal up and just come back ready to go."

Last edited:

Some snippets from the article below and it's debatable and to me it's debatable if he was healthy enough to receive more touches but without a doubt sounds like injuries plagued him all season:

Swift said he plans to meet with "a couple doctors" about his injuries in the coming weeks, but is operating under the assumption he will return to full health with time off.

Swift suffered a high ankle sprain in the first half of the Lions' season-opening loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, then separated his left shoulder two weeks later in a loss to the Minnesota Vikings

But he said he still was bothered by a shoulder injury that limited what he could do in the weight room all year.

"It was kind of just pushing through it," he said. "I feel like I was at a standstill with it, just had to make it work the best way I could."

As for his offseason plans, Swift said he'll be back working out once his body heals and he gets the all-clear from doctors with an eye on being more consistently productive in 2023.

"I play a violent game and I know that, but things I can’t control is things I can’t control," he said. "All I can do is respond and I feel like I did that. With the cards I was dealt early on, playing through a high ankle and the whole season with a separated shoulder, just doing what I can week in and week out, like I said, I’m blessed to be able to do that but get time off, get back, reset, let everything heal up and just come back ready to go."
Shoulder is the kiss of death for a RB. Every time they get hit, it amplifies it by a sizable factor from a pain standpoint. Assuming his labrum & rotator cuff are intact, time should heal it just fine - not really worried about it lingering into 2023 assuming he didn't also dislocate it.

But it does partly explain why his usage was so sporadic.

Man I'd love to see this kid stay healthy for a season. The upside is astronomical.

But it does partly explain why his usage was so sporadic
I felt it explained it almost entirely and hate to say it but hearing the injuries bothered him all year is actually really good news.
Except for the entire knock on the dude being that he can't stay healthy, I agree.

On the one hand, there's a chance that he doesn't get hurt in 2023. On the other hand, this won't help to dispel the fragile moniker, so his trade value is crap.

But it does partly explain why his usage was so sporadic
I felt it explained it almost entirely and hate to say it but hearing the injuries bothered him all year is actually really good news.
Except for the entire knock on the dude being that he can't stay healthy, I agree.

On the one hand, there's a chance that he doesn't get hurt in 2023. On the other hand, this won't help to dispel the fragile moniker, so his trade value is crap.
This owner is not concerned with his trade value, low, high, or medium 😏

Well we knew he had injuries so that part was known. We just did not know how much those injuries healed and that was the reason for his limited playing time and this article certainly clears a lot of that up. I'm sure you agree you'd rather have a player limited due to injuries then a coaching decision.

I have firmly been in the camp, and this has nothing to do with Swift directly, that for high majority of players the injury prone label is a myth. Especially when the player has not suffered a major injury requiring them to have surgery. He's had a lot of nicks in his career, but he's played in I think 80% of his games and never had a major injury or I think surgery. Again this is not a Swift specific stance. I recall spouting same stuff about CMC and many others this off-season. Just think by and large the injury prone lable is a myth.

I have firmly been in the camp, and this has nothing to do with Swift directly, that for high majority of players the injury prone label is a myth. Especially when the player has not suffered a major injury requiring them to have surgery. He's had a lot of nicks in his career, but he's played in I think 80% of his games and never had a major injury or I think surgery. Again this is not a Swift specific stance. I recall spouting same stuff about CMC and many others this off-season. Just think by and large the injury prone lable is a myth.
I agree, and I do think Swift showed toughness by playing through the shoulder, which is a significant injury for a RB.

Well we knew he had injuries so that part was known. We just did not know how much those injuries healed and that was the reason for his limited playing time and this article certainly clears a lot of that up. I'm sure you agree you'd rather have a player limited due to injuries then a coaching decision.

That's what I tend to believe. Imagine the perception of McCaffrey if 2020 and 2021 were his rookie and sophomore seasons. As a matter of fact ... just imagine the actual perception of McCaffrey after his 2021 season.

Swift will resign elsewhere and could do very well. I would say he is a good buy very low candidate. Him and Duce were complete opposites and it was not a cultural fit.

Swift will resign elsewhere and could do very well. I would say he is a good buy very low candidate. Him and Duce were complete opposites and it was not a cultural fit.
I believe he's signed through 2023, so do you mean in 2024?
Oh you are right. I thought this was a contract year. For what they are paying him, the Lions will keep him around. But a trade would not shock me.
I would be shocked by a trade

Some snippets from the article below and to me it's debatable if he was healthy enough to receive more touches but without a doubt sounds like injuries plagued him all season:

Interestingly, without going through the injury reports week by week, but I do not believe he was listed on the injury report for most of the second half of the season.
Over his 3 year career, as his number of carries went up his YPC went down. Think with the Lions his ceiling is capped as running back 1B with not being the main goal line back. His talent as shown by the number of splash plays gives him value but I would not be looking to draft him or trade for him expecting RB1 numbers.

This dude is only 23 entering his 4th year. I'd probably buy considering the talent is there. Contract year for him next year. I'm generally bullish on contract year RB's (Josh Jacobs)

This dude is only 23 entering his 4th year. I'd probably buy considering the talent is there. Contract year for him next year. I'm generally bullish on contract year RB's (Josh Jacobs)
He's gotta get the workload bump though to boost his value, and I don't see it happening with the current regime.

His workload is 2021 was usually 60-70% snaps when active. His workload week 1 was 67% then he injured his ankle week 2 (week 1? in the article Meno posted, but that seems odd since he played week 2 and then missed time...). I didn't realize it was a High Ankle Sprain, but that's what the blurb I saw yesterday said.

It seems like RBs always take a good month after returning to get their explosiveness back after a HAS, and I remember seeing Swift get caught on what looked like a walk in TD a couple weeks after returning from that. So that checks out.

I think it's most likely the workload was managing the 2 poorly-timed injuries throughout the year, and as the clearly most talented RB, he'll go back to the 60% role next year (interestingly enough, Williams' role didn't really change much, they just split Swift's snaps close to 50/50 with Jackson down the stretch).

You might think the frequency of injuries is a sign he will get injured more. I won't try to disprove that if it's your position, but I tend to think things like ankle and shoulder sprains just come with the territory with RBs, and sometimes you just get them at bad times or closely together. I don't feel injuries like that are very predictive.

Maybe that means we get the same injury discount on Swift next year that we got on Saquon and (to a small degree) CMC this year after they had a couple HAS and worse injuries the last 2 years. Looking at comments here and on twitter, I guess I'm less concerned about Swift than consensus.

Last edited:
You might think the frequency of injuries is a sign he will get injured more. I won't try to disprove that if it's your position, but I tend to think things like ankle and shoulder sprains just come with the territory with RBs, and sometimes you just get them at bad times or closely together. I don't feel injuries like that are very predictive.

Maybe that means we get the same injury discount on Swift next year that we got on Saquon and (to a small degree) CMC this year after they had a couple HAS and worse injuries the last 2 years. Looking at comments here and on twitter, I guess I'm less concerned about Swift than consensus.

I like this. Swift is the type of player I would target as decent risk/reward in dynasty leagues at his current ranking. Before this, he was a player I would never buy because I thought the price was too high for his priors (#2 ranked dynasty RB coming into this year despite barely making the top 20 - once). I don't like paying full price for production a guy has never achieved. Now, he's obviously talented, I like the yds/carry and him being on a team on the rise. Seems like a lot of upside relative to the other players ranked around #10 in dynasty.

On the downside, he's been around for 3 years now and you just don't see RBs getting chance after chance. The window closes fast, teams just give up and move on. Make or break year coming up.

Swift is made of glass, there's no denying that, and also no denying that he is an explosive playmaker in space.

I would invest as a replaceable flex, nothing more. Too much volatility as a starter.

I’d happily take him in the 3rd of redrafts. He went 1 pick after Saquan at 2.09 in my local redraft this year. So I figure 3.x-early 4th?

Could be a steal. Injuries are hard to predict

On the downside, he's been around for 3 years now and you just don't see RBs getting chance after chance. The window closes fast, teams just give up and move on. Make or break year coming up.
Not entirely sure I agree with this.

2023 saw more than a few retreads bouncing around for temporary relevance. Many of whom have dealt with injury. Latavious Murray, Gordon before him (thought he developed incurable fumblitis), Rex Burkhead, Kenyan Drake, etc, etc, etc. probably a solid 15 names on that list or more.

Heck, the TD leader at RB this year was Jamaal Williams, who’s missed a ton of time to injury in his career, missing 10 games from 2019-2021.

Swift is made of glass, there's no denying that
I will in fact deny it. Like I've said previously he's played 80% of his games at a pretty volatile position and has never suffered a major injury or required a major surgery. A lot of nicks and bruises that left him less then 100% but that's still not rising nearly to level of made of glass.

College was fairly similar with respect to some nicks and bruises but he never missed a game.

In total we got 6 seasons of SEC football and the NFL and he's missed 10 games total in those 6 years. That's actually fantastic, A+ type of availability. Now of course a lot of those games his health contributed to a lighter workload so that's a knock and keeping him from winning any iron man awards but I think the totality has not risen anywhere remotely close to what you are describing.

Swift’s consensus ADP in PPR this year was 2.03/RB9. On a PPG basis (13.86) he finished RB17.

Might have been the most frequently mentioned player in @Chaka’s weekly WSIS thread. There was constant angst Weeks 2-17 on whether it was a Swift game or not.

I owned him Y1 & Y2, passed on him at 1.11 this year knowing the Detroit homer on the turn wouldn’t be able to resist. He is a talented guy capable of explosive plays. Not the funnest asset to manage in FF.

Users who are viewing this thread