What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (4 Viewers)

Swift’s consensus ADP in PPR this year was 2.03/RB9. On a PPG basis (13.86) he finished RB17.

Might have been the most frequently mentioned player in @Chaka’s weekly WSIS thread. There was constant angst Weeks 2-17 on whether it was a Swift game or not.

I owned him Y1 & Y2, passed on him at 1.11 this year knowing the Detroit homer on the turn wouldn’t be able to resist. He is a talented guy capable of explosive plays. Not the funnest asset to manage in FF.
I might come across like a massive Swift owner at times because I like his raw talent and aspects of his situation but reality is I did 27 league managed redrafts last year and drafted him zero times. I have 9 dynasty teams and owned him one just once but I did acquire him in a second league when I saw how pissy everyone was over that game he was surprisingly ruled inactive around mid-season, can't recall which one.

Not picking him at all in redraft was more just a function of liking other players in that range then being down on him and I was actually trying to get him on at least one team but it did not work out. The way he looked in week one I was thinking I had made a massive mistake.

To part of your point he's not been a bowl full of laughs owning, ,but when you step back and realize he's drafted as RB9, plays 82% of the games or we can call it 76% of the games in the fantasy season and performs as RB17( have him as RB19) I'm not sure that calls for the hate some people have for him. I truly think that hate would not be nearly what it is for so many people if he did not look so explosive and I think a lot of the frustration is because there seems to be so much more meat on that bone.

To part of your point he's not been a bowl full of laughs owning, ,but when you step back and realize he's drafted as RB9, plays 82% of the games or we can call it 76% of the games in the fantasy season and performs as RB17( have him as RB19) I'm not sure that calls for the hate some people have for him. I truly think that hate would not be nearly what it is for so many people if he did not look so explosive and I think a lot of the frustration is because there seems to be so much more meat on that bone.
I’ve had him for 1 season. It has not been a bed of roses.

I inherited him on an orphan I took over. With Hall & AJD, Swift is kind of my RB3/flex. At least that’s how I’m looking at it since I can only sell at a loss.

I’d rather gamble that he has a solid 10-game stretch and maximize value if I can. Or ride him to a LCG. That would also be nice.

But when I picked up this team, I definitely had thoughts he could be a sneaky RB1 for 2022.

In redraft I picked Barkley over him, and that worked out well.

Heck, the TD leader at RB this year was Jamaal Williams, who’s missed a ton of time to injury in his career, missing 10 games from 2019-2021.

You know we went to 17 game schedules in 2021, right? I presume you did some quick math and came up with 51-41 but really it's 49-41.

GP by year (games missed)
  1. 16 (0)
  2. 16 (0)
  3. 14 (2)
  4. 14 (2)
  5. 13 (4)
  6. 17 (0)
Zero missed games if we cherry pick a different three years (2017-18, 2022.) Having 100% availability three entire seasons is pretty impressive. If we look at ALL Top 36 running backs 2017-2022, just about everyone not named Ezekiel misses a few games every year.

Swift was on the injury report 13 out of 17 game weeks in 2021; Weeks 1-6 and 11-18 (bye week in there somewhere.) 10 consecutive weeks this year (2-12 which includes the bye week 6) plus Week 14. The consistency is impressive - 24 weeks on the practice report as DNP/LP out of 31. He had zero full practices Week 2-7. Finished the year strong, on limited or missed practices the last 4 weeks.

But let's remind each other there's no such thing as injury prone.

Swift suffered a high ankle sprain in the first half of the Lions' season-opening loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, then separated his left shoulder two weeks later in a loss to the Minnesota Vikings

I like Dave Birkett, he's probably my third favorite beat writer (personal preference I like Kyle Meinke & Justin Rogers.)

Other than this article* written the day after they cleaned out their lockers, I cannot find any contemporaneous articles that 1) the ankle injury was a high ankle sprain, and 2) the shoulder injury was a separated shoulder. I don't recall either injury being classified that way when they happened, or being discussed as such during the season. Real time it was reported as an ankle sprain and shoulder sprain. Spent a little time Googling articles and no one called them either a HAS or separated.

That's pretty odd stuff.

EDIT: * [the first article you quoted on the previous page; the one in my quote is from 9/26 and calls is a sprained shoulder]

Swift is made of glass, there's no denying that
I will in fact deny it. Like I've said previously he's played 80% of his games at a pretty volatile position and has never suffered a major injury or required a major surgery. A lot of nicks and bruises that left him less then 100% but that's still not rising nearly to level of made of glass.

College was fairly similar with respect to some nicks and bruises but he never missed a game.

In total we got 6 seasons of SEC football and the NFL and he's missed 10 games total in those 6 years. That's actually fantastic, A+ type of availability. Now of course a lot of those games his health contributed to a lighter workload so that's a knock and keeping him from winning any iron man awards but I think the totality has not risen anywhere remotely close to what you are describing.
How many games did he play hurt and give FF owners minimal return, or flat out missed due to injuries in the last three season? The absolute worst type of FF player to have shares in are the guys who continually play hurt with nicks and bruises, and kill your weekly production because you keep starting him since he's active. I would rather have someone who sits out, or let someone else own the headaches.

The guy has been a nightmare to own in FF since 2020. You don't win championships depending on production from someone like this. Low investment in a flex spot is good enough for me.

We’re probably going to go around and around all off-season on Swift’s value and his propensity to get nicked up. At the end of the day though, what we think means nothing. How team brass feels about him is all that matters, and unless something dramatically changes in their perception of him, he may always be just what he is now: very explosive but with a limited workload.

We’re probably going to go around and around all off-season on Swift’s value and his propensity to get nicked up. At the end of the day though, what we think means nothing. How team brass feels about him is all that matters, and unless something dramatically changes in their perception of him, he may always be just what he is now: very explosive but with a limited workload.
Also, this is his contract year and he may be on another team in 2024.

You know we went to 17 game schedules in 2021, right? I presume you did some quick math and came up with 51-41 but really it's 49-41.
Ah yes. 8.

It’s still a lot. My point stands even if my math does not. :)

What’s your point? That’s he’s missed less games in six years than Swift has in three?
No, that all RBs miss games and it’s not that big a deal for either of them.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

The guy has been a nightmare to own in FF since 2020.
Really? He was RB11 in 2021 playing 13 games and RB19 this year 14 games. That's a nightmare for a guy who was a second round redraft pick in most leagues?
Standard scoring he was 23rd this year with 13 games under double digits. Chances are if someone needed his production this season they were left wanting. Now, if you have top picks elsewhere that can make up for it, then go for it and take him high up. Drafting a guy second round to watch 4 games over double digits is overpaying for your production in my opinion. Guessing when those 4 big games occur needs a skill level nobody possesses.

Again, he has way too many games on his resume when he's getting hurt during, or playing well below 100%. Again, 13 total games in 2022 where he scored less that 10 in standard, 9 in half PPR, and 8 in PPR. In our keeper, the Swift owner has been trying to trade him since last season to no avail. In redraft I even saw him dropped in two of the leagues I was in. Owner frustration for sure.

Just saw that Duce Staley went to the Panthers to take the same RB coach position. He never seemed to be a big Swift fan - maybe a positive for Swift’s workload next year.

Based on weekly pressers midseason, I'm not sure Duce wasn't in alignment with how MCDC and Ben Johnson felt.

Campbell: "We probably gave Swift one too many carries." (DC says Swift was overused versus Dolphins - after a game in which he had five attempts)
Johnson: "I think he got pissed" (first GB game, when asked to react to comments from Swift about being frustrated with how he is being used)

Talented athlete. Can't stay on the field. Played like a guy that didn't trust his own body most of the year.

IMO

Anyway, I'm sure he'll be the RB15 going late second in redrafts in August.

Just saw that Duce Staley went to the Panthers to take the same RB coach position. He never seemed to be a big Swift fan - maybe a positive for Swift’s workload next year.

Based on weekly pressers midseason, I'm not sure Duce wasn't in alignment with how MCDC and Ben Johnson felt.

Campbell: "We probably gave Swift one too many carries." (DC says Swift was overused versus Dolphins - after a game in which he had five attempts)
Johnson: "I think he got pissed" (first GB game, when asked to react to comments from Swift about being frustrated with how he is being used)

Talented athlete. Can't stay on the field. Played like a guy that didn't trust his own body most of the year.

IMO

Fair points. A lot still to be determined whether Jamaal stays (can't imagine he leaves) and if he does, who comes in to replace Jamaal. Not sure if I'm keeping Swift in my deep keeper league, but my only hope is that they run him a lot more in his walk year, as they have nothing to lose in the future if he gets hurt again.

IMO

Fair points. A lot still to be determined whether Jamaal stays (can't imagine he leaves) and if he does, who comes in to replace Jamaal. Not sure if I'm keeping Swift in my deep keeper league, but my only hope is that they run him a lot more in his walk year, as they have nothing to lose in the future if he gets hurt again.

Jamaal has said he just wants to get it done and finish his career (if possible) in Detroit. That's about as clear of a "I'll give you the hometown discount" statement as a guy could make. Coming off 1K and the franchise record for rushing TDs - plus great leadership in the locker room - seems like a no brainer for Holmes.

Still think they might add a day 3 back. I don't think there is a world in the multiverse in which Swift is a Lion in 2024. Get what they can out of him this year then thank you for your service.

The guy has only started 16 games in three years and his high is a 617 yard season.
Teams are not usually any more patient (or tolerant-injury) for a guy to develop than that.

His backups have each looked good, arguably better in smaller samples.

That line is impressive and can certainly clear the way for a back to get more than 5-600 yards.

I'm of the opinion you gotta have a plan B if you own Swift. In redraft...whatever, we'll have an idea next summer. The confidence the FF community has in this guy is grossly overstated; it should be concern and maybe phew he broke out in 2023 but it's definitely not some prevailing starter with a secure job.

The guy has only started 16 games in three years and his high is a 617 yard season.
The top RB last year and over the last two years has topped out in the 900's. That's obviously more but I think you get my point, don't need to be a high volume runner to put up big fantasy stats and really pure rushing numbers is one of most difficult ways for RB's to accumlate points in PPR leagues.

Swift just needs to get work like he pretty much got from the early bye week of his rookie season, through the entire 2021 season up until he got hurt early last year. The 2021 usage in particular which was 11/4.5 receptions is ideal and enough to put him in RB1 territory even if not running for a lot of yards.

I'm not sure he'll get that usage next year, just making a point he does not need a lot.

The Athletic's Colton Pouncey writes "I'm not sure there's a future between" the Lions and D'Andre Swift "given Swift's injury history and the money he'd likely want."​

This is in a roster needs piece and doesn't necessarily portend a break-up before the season or anything, but Swift is heading into the walk year of his rookie contract and Detroit's usage of Swift after his initial injury was one of the biggest clashes between fantasy managers and real-life coaching staffs in 2022. It has mostly been assumed by Detroit's beats that Jamaal Williams will return in free agency after leading the NFL in rushing touchdowns. Pouncey believes it's possible they draft a young back in this year's draft. This has not been a great six months for the D'Andre Swift RB1 camp.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 23, 2023, 3:59 PM ET

Thank the lort I was able to move him last week. :pickle:
Honestly getting away from Detroit is probably in his favor given their usage of him - especially of they keep Williams around.
Agreed - he just doesn’t seem to fit in with the Lions staff. A change of scenery would probably be good for him - will be interesting to see what the demand will be though after this year.

Honestly getting away from Detroit is probably in his favor given their usage of him - especially of they keep Williams around.
Agreed - he just doesn’t seem to fit in with the Lions staff. A change of scenery would probably be good for him - will be interesting to see what the demand will be though after this year.
Yeah - the market is kind of flooded with RBs. There should be an opening somewhere as a part of a committee.

All I know is I’m done waiting for him to have a healthy year & now have the 1.01 for my impatience.

Yeah - the market is kind of flooded with RBs. There should be an opening somewhere as a part of a committee.

All I know is I’m done waiting for him to have a healthy year & now have the 1.01 for my impatience.
He’s still under contract for this season. It would be next year that he’s a free agent.

Yep - which makes these sorts of reports especially troubling for his FF prospects for 2023

I'm not sure about that - he's a weapon (arguably they're second best offensive player) and they'll want to win games - it's been two years under Campbell without the playoffs. He seems to be well liked, but I'm not sure he can miss the playoffs three straight seasons and keep the job. There's the possibility they don't limit him since they're not bringing him back.

I'm also not sure that blurb really says anything at all - it's one writer's speculation. The quote literally starts with him saying "I'm not sure...."

It's the offseason - which means some of this "news" isn't really news, just writers trying to fill content.

Yep - which makes these sorts of reports especially troubling for his FF prospects for 2023

I'm not sure about that - he's a weapon (arguably they're second best offensive player) and they'll want to win games - it's been two years under Campbell without the playoffs. He seems to be well liked, but I'm not sure he can miss the playoffs three straight seasons and keep the job. There's the possibility they don't limit him since they're not bringing him back.

I'm also not sure that blurb really says anything at all - it's one writer's speculation. The quote literally starts with him saying "I'm not sure...."

It's the offseason - which means some of this "news" isn't really news, just writers trying to fill content.
Maybe so, but I’ve been trying to move him since I took over that orphan without a nibble, so regardless of what happens I’m glad I’m out.

IMO they’re either bringing back Jamaal or drafting a RB - in either scenario I don’t see him as reaching his full potential. And while he might not be “injury prone”, he certainly seems to be a bit soft.

Speaking to the media from the NFL Combine, Lions HC Dan Campbell alluded to a plan to limit RB D'Andre Swift's workload in the coming season.​

Campbell added that the team felt comfortable with their plan regarding Swift's workload heading into the 2022 season but the team would reassess the situation after Swift missed multiple games with shoulder and ankle injuries. He then went on to say there is mutual interest in bringing fellow running back Jamaal Williams back once the new league year begins in two weeks. It appears as if the Lions intend to continue to lighten the load for their electric fourth-year back moving forward.
Mar 1, 2023, 9:00 PM ET

Speaking to the media from the NFL Combine, Lions HC Dan Campbell alluded to a plan to limit RB D'Andre Swift's workload in the coming season.​

Campbell added that the team felt comfortable with their plan regarding Swift's workload heading into the 2022 season but the team would reassess the situation after Swift missed multiple games with shoulder and ankle injuries. He then went on to say there is mutual interest in bringing fellow running back Jamaal Williams back once the new league year begins in two weeks. It appears as if the Lions intend to continue to lighten the load for their electric fourth-year back moving forward.
Not exactly music to Swift shareholder’s ears

Can someone locate this exact quote? I'd like to know verbatim what he said. Saw the blurb on Rotoworld but no link.

The comment below I read today and will post the link under it and it does not exactly read as Campbell saying they plan to limit his workload so I find myself wondering if someone from Rotoworld took a little literary license here:

4. Campbell and his coaches thought they had a good plan in place last training camp to keep running back D’Andre Swift healthy throughout the season, but Swift missed time with ankle and shoulder injuries and dealt with those most of the season. Campbell said they'll put another plan in place this year and hope it helps because Swift is a rare talent that can go to the house on any given play.

Can someone locate this exact quote? I'd like to know verbatim what he said. Saw the blurb on Rotoworld but no link.

The comment below I read today and will post the link under it and it does not exactly read as Campbell saying they plan to limit his workload so I find myself wondering if someone from Rotoworld took a little literary license here:

4. Campbell and his coaches thought they had a good plan in place last training camp to keep running back D’Andre Swift healthy throughout the season, but Swift missed time with ankle and shoulder injuries and dealt with those most of the season. Campbell said they'll put another plan in place this year and hope it helps because Swift is a rare talent that can go to the house on any given play.

Interesting.

There is the context that the Lions are talking about bringing back Williams, so maybe that split is part of the plan?

Interesting.

There is the context that the Lions are talking about bringing back Williams, so maybe that split is part of the plan?
I don't know but I'm sure I"m not the only one who absolutely sees a difference between a coach saying "we are going to decrease his workload" to "the guy's had some injury issues, we'll put another plan in place because the guy is a rare talent".

I don't know but I'm sure I"m not the only one who absolutely sees a difference between a coach saying "we are going to decrease his workload" to "the guy's had some injury issues, we'll put another plan in place because the guy is a rare talent".
Smart 💰 is on Rotoworld taking liberties. They do it frequently.
They did here because I just found the full video. Night and day to how Rotoworld presented it. What they wrote leaves you feeling shaky. When you hear the actual whole comment it leaves you feeling kind of optimistic but I'll let you all decide that for yourself.

Smart 💰 is on Rotoworld taking liberties. They do it frequently.
They did here because I just found the full video. Night and day to how Rotoworld presented it. What they wrote leaves you feeling shaky. When you hear the actual whole comment it leaves you feeling kind of optimistic but I'll let you all decide that for yourself.

This is why I listen to coaches press conferences as often as I have time for during the season. Write-ups always parse stuff out of context, their whole goal is to induce pearl clutching. Rotoworld is almost worthless other than pointing you to the underlying source so you can check it out yourself.

It's pretty interesting watching how vastly different the interactions are from team to team. Some are light hearted and jovial - Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, Dan Campbell - but then you listen to guys like Kliff Kingsbury or Arthur Smith and you can't help but think my brother are you in therapy bc holy cow you know you are 100% clinically depressed right now are you OK? lol

BB is pretty fascinating too, if they ask good questions. He just absolutely skewers guys who ask dumb Qs but you get him on a roll and he'll talk for 8 minutes about what he loves about the way they teach a certain technique at Holy Cross, which evolved from that coach being under this other coach who really revolutionised how that technique was done 20 years ago....dude is priceless. The week they played the Lions it was amazing how granular he was able to talk about obscure scrubs on Detroit no one ever asked about.

Tomlin cracks me up every time. He's the only coach who opens his weekly presser with a 10-12 minute soliloquy on his football team, how well they achieved their goals, what they would be working on this week, long term plans for the season, players that had an exception performance...it's like a mini state of the union address and he does it 18x a year.

Last edited:

Interesting.

I thought that was what the Lions were already doing (limiting Swift's workload).

Interesting.

I thought that was what the Lions were already doing (limiting Swift's workload).
That was the plan last year before he got hurt, yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread