What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (7 Viewers)

Leading candidate for bust of the year relative to ADP. Even if he misses a few weeks, I don’t think the coaching staff will trust him with a heavy workload when he returns. Can’t always rely on big splash plays every week.
Teams with Ekeler would like to have a word with you.

Leading candidate for bust of the year relative to ADP. Even if he misses a few weeks, I don’t think the coaching staff will trust him with a heavy workload when he returns. Can’t always rely on big splash plays every week.
I get that - and there are other top draft picks that are underperforming big time. But have to think that Ekeler’s long term outlook is much better in terms of his usage.

I have Swift but someone else has J. Williams. Not sure if either Craig Reynolds or Justin Jackson are worth a waiver claim., something tells me committee.

I get that - and there are other top draft picks that are underperforming big time. But have to think that Ekeler’s long term outlook is much better in terms of his usage.
I think you off base and wildly over-reacting to his current injury regarding Swift's usage when he's healed up.

Has their been a time-line given?

Speaking Monday, Lions HC Dan Campbell suggested RB D’Andre Swift (shoulder) could be held out through the team’s Week 6 bye.​

There's still a lot to figure out here, but it sounds like Swift is going to miss some time one way or another. Campbell said that Swift would benefit from taking off the next two weeks, making his return after the team's Week 6 bye. Should this come to fruition, that would put Swift out until October 23rd, when the team returns in Week 7 to face the Cowboys. We'll get more information on Swift's status for Week 4 as the week progresses, but it sounds like a multi-week absence isn't off the table. Should Swift miss any time, Jamaal Williams would be a weekly top-24 option.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Sep 26, 2022, 3:28 PM ET

Has their been a time-line given?

Detroit never gives timelines. “He’s improving” or “it doesn’t look good” covers it 95% of the time.

Campbell said today with the re-injury of the ankle (2nd Q) and the new shoulder sprain (2nd half) they’re looking at whether it makes sense to sit him a week.

Last two weeks they’ve been resting him so he could be 75/80% at game time. Virtually no practice reps the last two weeks.

Said they’d prefer to get him to a point where he is able to do full practices and be 100% at game time.

I don’t think he plays or practices this week, and there’s a good chance Patriots week is more of the same. After the Week 6 bye (so Week 7 plays) seems like the best course for him and the team.

IMO

edit: typo

Last edited:
From all early reports Swift would sit through week 6 bye and return against the Cowboys in week 7? He's still questionable as of Wednesday morning. Shoulder, ankle, seems like he is beat up and needs a little time to heal up?

From all early reports Swift would sit through week 6 bye and return against the Cowboys in week 7? He's still questionable as of Wednesday morning. Shoulder, ankle, seems like he is beat up and needs a little time to heal up?
Probably the best thing for him, for the Lions, and for fantasy owners alike. Get healthy over the next three weeks, come out strong in week 7, and get nicked up again.

Probably the best thing for him, for the Lions, and for fantasy owners alike. Get healthy over the next three weeks, come out strong in week 7, and get nicked up again.

Swift is very talented, but it seems every game he gets some kind of injury. Even in training camp it was always some nagging injury. Hard for Swift to reach his full potential always being hurt.

Been that way pretty much since he came into the league. Looks like Williams was already the goal line back so he will get his share of TDs..

Swift is very talented, but it seems every game he gets some kind of injury. Even in training camp it was always some nagging injury. Hard for Swift to reach his full potential always being hurt.

Been that way pretty much since he came into the league. Looks like Williams was already the goal line back so he will get his share of TDs..
Seems like Duce Staley has gotten him to play through the injuries, but obviously can't prevent them from happening.

I have Swift but someone else has J. Williams. Not sure if either Craig Reynolds or Justin Jackson are worth a waiver claim., something tells me committee.
Craig Reynolds was effin' legit last year. He will be used for sure. Jamaal will not hold up on that type of workload week in and out.
I wasn’t aware of a history of that. What do you base this on?

Not literally- he's just never been over 200 touches through his entire career. Basically a poor man's Fournette is what J. Will. J Will missed 4 games last year- not sure if it was all injury.

Craig Reynolds was effin' legit last year. He will be used for sure. Jamaal will not hold up on that type of workload week in and out.
I wasn’t aware of a history of that. What do you base this on?

Not literally- he's just never been over 200 touches through his entire career. Basically a poor man's Four Bette is what J. Will. J Will missed 4 games last year- not sure if it was all injury.
Not a reason to blanket assume he can’t.

What’s the latest word on Swft’s Injury status.
For this week? I don't think he's been officially ruled out, but I'm pretty certain he will now not be playing. Pretty unlikely he plays before week 7, right after their bye. But I'd give an outside shot for next week, though I wouldn't even feel great about starting him.

Last edited:
I think @BobbyLayne would tell you to pick up Craig Reynolds and I listen to Bobby about the Lions. I am 100% certain he's Hank Fraley's son.

I think @BobbyLayne would tell you to pick up Craig Reynolds and I listen to Bobby about the Lions. I am 100% certain he's Hank Fraley's son.
Williams is the back to have. Not sure how much work Reynolds will get. I couldn't see myself playing Reynolds in a 12 team league starting 9 or 10, including a kicker and defense.

Williams is the back to have. Not sure how much work Reynolds will get. I couldn't see myself playing Reynolds in a 12 team league starting 9 or 10, including a kicker and defense.
Williams is the back to own but the question was Reynolds v Jackson and if either were worth owning.

Reynolds>Jackson and I wouldn't start them this week either. But it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Reynolds has flashed some ability, Swift may miss multiple weeks and Jamaal has not been a pillar of health.

Williams is the back to own but the question was Reynolds v Jackson and if either were worth owning.

Reynolds>Jackson and I wouldn't start them this week either. But it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Reynolds has flashed some ability, Swift may miss multiple weeks and Jamaal has not been a pillar of health.

I'm often wrong about Detroit RBs. I thought Godwin Igwebuike was the guy to own last year when both Jamaal and D'Andre were out. Craig Reynolds started and was the #1 RB for the week per PFF (and was the #1 PFF RB again the following week.)

The four games Swift missed last year:
  • WK 13 vs MIN - 29-27 win
    Williams* 34 snaps (17-71-0 1 target)
    Igwebuike 28 snaps (2-8-0 2 targets)
    Jefferson 8 snaps (5-18-0 1 targets)
  • WK 14 @ DEN - 10-38 loss**
    Igwebuike* 28 snaps (8-25-0 0 targets)
    Reynolds 29 snaps (11-83-0 2 targets)
    Jefferson 3 snaps (0 opportunities)
  • WK 15 vs ARI - 30-12 win
    Reynolds* 42 snaps (26-112-0 1 target)
    Igwebuike 12 snaps (2-0-0 2 targets)
    Jefferson 6 snaps (5-9-0 0 0 targets)
  • WK 16 vs ATL 16-20 loss
    Williams* 28 snaps (19-77-0 0 targets)
    Reynolds 27 snaps (11-29-0 4 targets)
    Igwebuike 10 snaps (0 opportunities)
*starter
**20 players were out with the flu during the week.
  • WK 3 @ MIN - 24-28 loss
    Swift* 32 snaps (7-31-0 4 target)
    Williams 35 snaps (20-87-3 2 targets)
    Reynolds 13 snaps (6-13-0 1 target)

Likely outcome the next two weeks is Williams will be the lead back. Reynolds will be the backup and I suspect he'll get 25-30 snaps. I doubt Justin Jackson receives very many opportunities.

Lions homer here. When might the Lions announce that Swift is out? Will it be Sunday at 11:35, or sooner, like today? I mean, it's pretty obvious isn't it? Are the Lions trying to throw off the Seabags lol.

I really need to place him in the IR spot so I can pick up a defense here soon haha. Sit him through the bye.

Lions homer here. When might the Lions announce that Swift is out? Will it be Sunday at 11:35, or sooner, like today? I mean, it's pretty obvious isn't it? Are the Lions trying to throw off the Seabags lol.

I really need to place him in the IR spot so I can pick up a defense here soon haha. Sit him through the bye.
If I had to guess it would be today if they know for sure he is out.

If I had to guess it would be today if they know for sure he is out.
Yeah, I fully expect for him to be ruled out today.

Will week 5 be a ditto from week 4 - waiting for Friday afternoon to be ruled OUT so I can use the IR, where TUA sits and likely will get dropped from IR to make room for Swift? Then I forget the status of a player on a bye week. Likely if practicing on their bye week Swift could shift from OUT to Questionable during their week 6 bye week. It's filling the IR spot vs cutting a good player loose like K Herbert (watching Monty status) or a C Samuel or G Wilson. IF Swift doesn't get ruled out, then I most likely will have to cut a player loose to fill a D/ST empty status. It's a fine line we dance in fantasy football.

I'm banking on Swift being ruled OUT on Friday afternoon. You?

Swift did not practice Friday so I don't expect him to play. There is no reason to rush him back, especially with the bye being next week.

D'Andre Swift (shoulder) will not play in Week 5 against the Patriots.​

Swift didn't practice all week and hasn't practiced since Week 3. With the Lions on bye next week, Swift will have had almost a full month off to recover from the shoulder injury. Week 7's date with the Cowboys should be a return date for Swift unless he suffers a setback.
Oct 7, 2022, 4:21 PM ET

Lions coach Dan Campbell said D'Andre Swift (shoulder) will practice Wednesday.​

It's a great sign for Swift's Week 7 availability against Dallas. Swift, who hasn't played since Week 3 with a lingering shoulder issue, was on a tear in the season's first few weeks. With a full complement of snaps, Swift should take over as the Lions' pass-catching back while splitting early-down work with Jamaal Williams. Williams becomes a touchdown-dependent RB2/3 if Swift returns in Week 7.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Andrew Siciliano on Twitter
Oct 19, 2022, 12:17 PM ET

D'Andre Swift said he's "pushing towards" playing Week 7 against the Cowboys.​

Swift was back on the practice field Wednesday with the Lions coming out of their bye, and that would seem to indicate the third-year back will play Sunday. However, Detroit has been taking it easy on Swift since getting banged up a couple times in the season's first three weeks. Swift will be out there should he avoid any setbacks in practice this week.
SOURCE: Eric Woodyard on Twitter
Oct 19, 2022, 3:20 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread