What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (8 Viewers)

True. But to be fair, Akers didn’t look that great last year, though reportedly he’s improving. We haven’t seen ETN in contact scenarios, and James Robinson still has a long, long way to go with his rehab.

ETN looks electric though. And I’m optimistic about Akers based on what we’ve seen. 

So it’s not like they’re all 100% - and until Robinson is out there doing football things, he hasn’t really made it back yet. 

Cautious optimism. As Robinson is on the team I took over I’m hoping for the best.
When? Where? He's never played a down. This is the NFL. Not the ACC. 

Robinson has proved himself in the NFL

Thx Uncle Bob. 
I’m just trying to put some positive vibes out there for the guy. I’ve been pretty pessimistic about him for most of his career. Despite that and mass enthusiasm for ETN, I would like to see Robinson healthy enough to get a second NFL contract. 

One of the biggest storylines exiting Day 1 of training camp in Jacksonville is that running back James Robinson was not a no-show at practice. The third-year back ruptured his Achilles tendon in a Week 14 loss to the New York Jets last year, and there wasn’t an expectation of him being ready for the regular season, let alone training camp.

Still, Robinson participated lightly off to the side at practice on Monday, with Doug Pederson indicating that no player, including Robinson, would be placed on the team’s PUP (physically unable to perform) list.

That means, Robinson will not likely miss the first four games of the regular season, and he’s on track to participate fully sometime in August, a good sign for the Jaguars’ backfield.

“James is doing extremely well,” Pederson said when asked about Robinson prior to practice on Monday. “He’s going to be out here and over here. We’re just going to still take it slow with him and make sure he’s 100 percent or better before we put him out on the field.”

Lookin solid for #Jaguars RB James Robinson: pic.twitter.com/Xl3nnvl19d

— Demetrius Harvey (@Demetrius82) July 25, 2022

Pederson stated that he doesn’t want to put a timetable on Robinson’s return, but the team is eyeing a mid-August arrival for the veteran RB. That’s when he ought to be able to participate in the more extensive portions of the camp.

“It’s a good sign. I know and I’ve seen how hard he’s worked to get himself back this spring and this summer.” Pederson added.

“He was here all summer working with the guys and with (Vice President of Player Health and Performance Jeff Ferguson) Fergie on the medical team. He’s done a great job of putting himself in the position to where we don’t have to do that but still be cautious with him and make sure he’s ready when he’s ready.”

Robinson’s likely return to start the regular season is a new development in Jacksonville, and bodes well for his insertion into the lineup at some point prior to the start of the year.

Jaguars training camp Day 1 observations: Acclimation period underway

True. But to be fair, Akers didn’t look that great last year, though reportedly he’s improving. We haven’t seen ETN in contact scenarios, and James Robinson still has a long, long way to go with his rehab.

ETN looks electric though. And I’m optimistic about Akers based on what we’ve seen. 

So it’s not like they’re all 100% - and until Robinson is out there doing football things, he hasn’t really made it back yet. 

Cautious optimism. As Robinson is on the team I took over I’m hoping for the best.
How so?  I don't think he has played in any games or shown game speed to be electric.  Drills to games is a huge step so I don't think he has done enough to say he looks electric.  

I’m just trying to put some positive vibes out there for the guy. I’ve been pretty pessimistic about him for most of his career. Despite that and mass enthusiasm for ETN, I would like to see Robinson healthy enough to get a second NFL contract. 
just messing' with ya.

I’m just talking about their rehabilitation so far. Who said anything about the NFL play? :rolleyes:  

Robinson is nowhere near close to going the agility drills that we have now seen ETN do. ETN looks fully recovered. Robinson just started running.

i’m rooting for both as I have one in one league and another in another league.

just messing' with ya.
Oh I know, just don't want people here to think I hate the guy or am just here being a jerk. If he is back for the start of the year and looks like his normal self, we will have to totally rewrite what we think of achilles injuries. This could have widespread positive impact for a lot of future athletes. It's pretty exciting. 

I don't trust this speedy Achilles injury return that's happening these days. We've yet to see a RB become, or return to top 10-15 RB after tearing their Achilles. So even if he's medically cleared by numerous doctors, I expect a huge transition period where maybe he says, but I feel he will be far less effective for quite a while. Akers did not look good last year when he returned.

Sports Illustrated's John Shipley reports James Robinson took first-team reps on Monday.​

Shipley described it as "an important and noticeable step" for Robinson, noting his reps were "against air." He saw a rushing attempt and caught a pass out of the backfield during his first-team reps. Before Monday, Robinson -- coming off a December Achilles tear -- hadn't taken a single rep with any part of the Jacksonville offense. After avoiding the PUP list to start training camp, it seems Robinson is well positioned to split the team's backfield with Travis Etienne, who missed his rookie season with a foot injury. Shipley has said Robinson could be Jacksonville's main pass-catching threat out of the backfield, contrary to what many fantasy managers may have thought headed into this summer. Robinson makes for a savvy later-round pick in all formats.
RELATED:
SOURCE: SI.com
Aug 9, 2022, 10:01 AM ET

Like I said, it's now a RBBC. Draft ETN at your own risk.
I don’t think anyone expected it to be anything other than a RBBC.

That said, if you read the full update you’ll see that it was only a few plays, and Robinson was running against nobody on defense. Considering he just started running, it is difficult to read too much into this.

I am interested in seeing what he looks like as the season approaches. As he’s never been a speed guy, I’m particularly interested in his power. Which again, is impossible to judge when running team drills against no defenders.

As a guy who has ETN in one league, and Robinson in another, I’m thrilled with Robinsons progress, and I see it as little reflection on ETN’s role. They are vastly different weapons, and I expect ETN to be quite valuable in PPR leagues.

John Shipley who reported the Robinson story for SI also said on July 30th that ETN was the star of training camp.

For what it's worth, I didn't have ETN as having some insane workload. I have him pegged for 185 carries--thinking they would give someone some of the workload to keep from running him into the ground. I'm not rethinking that based on this report. We always thought Robinson would be back this year.

The fact that Robinson is practicing against air doesn't make me suddenly doubt that workload. Robinson may be physically capable of getting on a football field. Is he going to be the same guy as he was before the Achilles injury? I'll have to see it to believe it.

I also have a hard time thinking ETN doesn't factor heavily into the passing game. He caught a ton of passes from Trevor Lawrence in college. He's very talented in the passing game.

I'm not saying go draft ETN on every team, but the idea that James Robinson practicing against the wind means rethink your position on ETN is one I don't agree with.

That said, if you read the full update you’ll see that it was only a few plays, and Robinson was running against nobody on defense. Considering he just started running, it is difficult to read too much into this.

I am interested in seeing what he looks like as the season approaches. As he’s never been a speed guy, I’m particularly interested in his power. Which again, is impossible to judge when running team drills against no defenders.

As a guy who has ETN in one league, and Robinson in another, I’m thrilled with Robinsons progress, and I see it as little reflection on ETN’s role. They are vastly different weapons, and I expect ETN to be quite valuable in PPR leagues.

A few things.

Robinson is still not ready to play but with a month to go it sounds like he will be in time.

I saw the videos of him yesterday. He looked really slow, like he was running against a 50 mph headwind. Would add I don't know if he was gearing up. As we know he's never been fast but I do push back on the notion he lacks explosion, which might be more of an argument on semantics depending on how one defines explosion. But his 40" vertical leap and short area burst/power to me is explosion. Now he can't necessarily go from a 4.6 kind of guy to a 4.7 kind of guy and everyone act like it's not a big deal but the key for me is has he lost that short area explosion?

As it pertains to ETN I think two things can be true. Ignoring Robinson's potential impact is akin to just burying your head in the sand and ETN can still have good value/fantasy production. That likely all depends on how involved he is as a pass catcher. Kamara and Swift are two blueprints. Prior to last year Kamara averaged 11 carries a game and last year Swift came in at 11.6. ETN will catch a lot of passes but to get to that Kamara/Swift kind of passing volume my big concern is I believe Robinson might hold onto being the primary third down RB because his pass protection is highly valued. That does not mean they won't be on the field together, that ETN won't be used in a Deebo like fashion but IMO for ETN to hold his current ADP value anything less then 60 receptions in a full season won't be enough. As of now I'd take the over on 60 catches but again to me that's the key for ETN because his usage in the running game is one I expect to be on the lighter side.

A few things.

Robinson is still not ready to play but with a month to go it sounds like he will be in time.

I saw the videos of him yesterday. He looked really slow, like he was running against a 50 mph headwind. Would add I don't know if he was gearing up. As we know he's never been fast but I do push back on the notion he lacks explosion, which might be more of an argument on semantics depending on how one defines explosion. But his 40" vertical leap and short area burst/power to me is explosion. Now he can't necessarily go from a 4.6 kind of guy to a 4.7 kind of guy and everyone act like it's not a big deal but the key for me is has he lost that short area explosion?

As it pertains to ETN I think two things can be true. Ignoring Robinson's potential impact is akin to just burying your head in the sand and ETN can still have good value/fantasy production. That likely all depends on how involved he is as a pass catcher. Kamara and Swift are two blueprints. Prior to last year Kamara averaged 11 carries a game and last year Swift came in at 11.6. ETN will catch a lot of passes but to get to that Kamara/Swift kind of passing volume my big concern is I believe Robinson might hold onto being the primary third down RB because his pass protection is highly valued. That does not mean they won't be on the field together, that ETN won't be used in a Deebo like fashion but IMO for ETN to hold his current ADP value anything less then 60 receptions in a full season won't be enough. As of now I'd take the over on 60 catches but again to me that's the key for ETN because his usage in the running game is one I expect to be on the lighter side.
I don’t disagree with any of this.

Over a month ago I got flamed in the Etienne thread suggesting Robinson was a threat to Etienne's volume....
I saw people taking issues with some of your more outrageous claims. For example, you said that “ETN Would not play on third downs” which is something I’ve not seen the Jacksonville coaching staff say.

I wouldn’t describe that as “flamed”. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ETN's ADP was so inflated because of Robinson's injury and now Robinson's ADP is going to rise a lot ugh. Back then, you could get Robinson for free which I was doing in every mock

Over a month ago I got flamed in the Etienne thread suggesting Robinson was a threat to Etienne's volume....
I saw people taking issues with some of your more outrageous claims. For example, you said that “ETN Would not play on third downs” which is something I’ve not seen the Jacksonville coaching staff say.

It says in today's story that he could be the pass catching back. I feel like you're in a bit of denial here. Jacksonville wants to protect their QB. If Robinson is better at that, who do you think will be in there? Robinson. Fact is Robinson is ahead of schedule. He has a proven track record in the NFL. Not the SEC. He is threat whether you want to acknowledge it or not. ETN is a risk at his ADP.

exactly, and it's not like I pulled that out of my ***...direct from a respected beatwriter. Oh well, Hot Sauce gonna Hot Sauce.

It says in today's story that he could be the pass catching back. I feel like you're in a bit of denial here. Jacksonville wants to protect their QB. If Robinson is better at that, who do you think will be in there? Robinson. Fact is Robinson is ahead of schedule. He has a proven track record in the NFL. Not the SEC. He is threat whether you want to acknowledge it or not. ETN is a risk at his ADP.
I have ETN in dynasty and don’t care for him in redraft at his ADP regardless, so there goes one of your assumptions.

It’s also possible, even likely that they’re both in the backfield or ETN is split out wide in passing situations. Something you might be overlooking.

It’s worth noting how prolific a duo TLaw and ETN were together in college.

Robinson can barely run right now. I wouldn’t read into too much from reporters this early in the preseason. All the puff pieces in the world won’t help Robinson if he isn’t recovered from his injury:

I’m not in denial about anything - I have both players rostered. I think it’s a little weird how some folks seem to take sides on one Vs the other, when the entire NFL is leaning towards committees. These are dramatically different types of players with different skill sets. IMO there’s a scenario where both are FF relevant.

Comments dismissing one in favor of the other seem silly in that context.

ETA: I now only have ETN, as I just traded Robinson. Life comes at ya fast. :lol:

Last edited:
exactly, and it's not like I pulled that out of my ***...direct from a respected beatwriter. Oh well, Hot Sauce gonna Hot Sauce.
:rolleyes:

Respected beat reporter (allegedly) making outrageous claims about a player who isn’t 100%

Which is completely besides the point of your claim that you were being “flamed “for that. Questioning the validity of that statement is not “flaming” you

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Last edited:

Respected beat reporter (allegedly) making outrageous claims about a player who isn’t 100%

Which is completely besides the point of your claim that you were being “flamed “for that. Questioning the validity of that statement is not “flaming” you

Trip gonna Trip I guess.
I'm new to this forum but I've been playing FF since 95. Interested to know what

Trip gonna Trip I guess.
I'm new to this forum but I've been playing FF since 95. Interested to know what

Trip gonna Trip I guess.
Sorry, any yearly predictions on these guys assuming both are healthy to start the year? Thx

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.
Sorry, any yearly predictions on these guys assuming both are healthy to start the year? Thx
If both are healthy, I could see both backs in the 12-15 range in any format.

Pederson has said he could see scenarios where they’re both on the field, both used in rushing and receiving. He’s mentioned splitting ETN out wide at times, and having both in the backfield.

He’s also said stuff about Robinson being the guy, and ETN being the most explosive player at camp, so it’s hard to really gauge what’s real and what’s coschspeak.

But yeah, to your specific question, I think about Miles Sanders/Scott and how Pederson employed them. As a coach he’s definitely embraced RBBC and hasn’t been shy about acknowledging it.

Last edited:

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Pederson has said he could see scenarios where they’re both on the field, both used in rushing and receiving. He’s mentioned splitting ETN out wide at times, and having both in the backfield.

He’s also said stuff about Robinson being the guy, and ETN being the most explosive player at camp, so it’s hard to really gauge what’s real and what’s coschspeak.

But yeah, to your specific question, I think about Miles Sanders/Gainwell and how Pederson employed them. As a coach he’s definitely embraced RBBC and hasn’t been shy about acknowledging it.

Gainwell was a rookie last year.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

But yeah, to your specific question, I think about Miles Sanders/Gainwell and how Pederson employed them. As a coach he’s definitely embraced RBBC and hasn’t been shy about acknowledging it.

Gainwell was a rookie last year.
Sorry, Boston Scott, not Gainwell. Post editored.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

But yeah, to your specific question, I think about Miles Sanders/Scott and how Pederson employed them. As a coach he’s definitely embraced RBBC and hasn’t been shy about acknowledging it.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking along the line of ETN being a Kamara type with Hugh upside and Robinson being a much better Ingram type. I think this new Regime wants speed and more up tempo offense with fits ETN more. Robinson may get around 5 to 6 td's but not much in yardage. Some of this I believe will be because it will take some time to adjust post injury.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking along the line of ETN being a Kamara type with Hugh upside and Robinson being a much better Ingram type. I think this new Regime wants speed and more up tempo offense with fits ETN more. Robinson may get around 5 to 6 td's but not much in yardage. Some of this I believe will be because it will take some time to adjust post injury.
I recently read a statement I think summed it up well:
ETN is a high floor guy, while Robinson (if healthy) is a high ceiling guy.

But I do believe it will take Robinson time to heal up and get better, and when he does, I expect a shared workload. How that splits up, who has more receptions, who’s being used in the green zone and the red zone, whether they use ETN in a Deebo-type role - that’s all TBD.

But in today’s NFL, and with Pederson at the helm, I expect they’ll use both backs plenty, assuming both are healthy (your original premise). Robinson took the NFL by storm and in a terrible offense did things no one expected. I have a lot of respect for him. But ETN was absolutely worthy of his draft status and is a special talent. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the NFL, when a team that needs weapons gets a weapon, they use it. I have no doubt ETN will have a large role in this offense. Robinson’s will depend on recovery. I wish him well in that, despite being an ETN shareholder.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

But I do believe it will take Robinson time to heal up and get better, and when he does, I expect a shared workload. How that splits up, who has more receptions, who’s being used in the green zone and the red zone, whether they use ETN in a Deebo-type role - that’s all TBD.

But in today’s NFL, and with Pederson at the helm, I expect they’ll use both backs plenty, assuming both are healthy (your original premise). Robinson took the NFL by storm and in a terrible offense did things no one expected. I have a lot of respect for him. But ETN was absolutely worthy of his draft status and is a special talent. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the NFL, when a team that needs weapons gets a weapon, they use it. I have no doubt ETN will have a large role in this offense. Robinson’s will depend on recovery. I wish him well in that, despite being an ETN shareholder.
For this year and beyond ETN is the guy you want. I

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

I certainly hope so, but i think it’ll be more of a shared workload than many think.

It’s like having a wrench & a hammer in your tool kit. Sometimes ya need a hammer. Sometimes ya need a wrench. They’ll both get their jobs done, so long as they don’t try to hammer a nail with a wrench or turn a bolt with a hammer.

But Robinson still has a ways to go health-wise. And then we’ll all see how Pederson likes to use his tool kit.

With a still1adjusting TLaw, I’m betting they put a lot of work on their backs to minimize TLaw’s warts until he develops. Time will tell.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

Trip gonna Trip I guess.

I certainly hope so, but i think it’ll be more of a shared workload than many think.

It’s like having a wrench & a hammer in your tool kit. Sometimes ya need a hammer. Sometimes ya need a wrench. They’ll both get their jobs done, so long as they don’t try to hammer a nail with a wrench or turn a bolt with a hammer.

But Robinson still has a ways to go health-wise. And then we’ll all see how Pederson likes to use his tool kit.

With a still1adjusting TLaw, I’m betting they put a lot of work on their backs to minimize TLaw’s warts until he develops. Time will tell.
This is a great update out of Jacksonville, suggesting the Jaguars will have both Travis Etienne Jr. and Robinson when they take the field in Week 1. Robinson has totaled 2,403 scrimmage yards and 18 touchdowns through two seasons (28 games) with the Jaguars, though he's expected to be the secondary option to Etienne in 2022. Robinson is listed 43rd among running backs in the latest ECR.
Andersen Pickard

This is a great update out of Jacksonville, suggesting the Jaguars will have both Travis Etienne Jr. and Robinson when they take the field in Week 1. Robinson has totaled 2,403 scrimmage yards and 18 touchdowns through two seasons (28 games) with the Jaguars, though he's expected to be the secondary option to Etienne in 2022. Robinson is listed 43rd among running backs in the latest ECR.
Andersen Pickard

@Hot Sauce Guy

Y'all know you can just quote the last one, right? Those nested quotes are a MFer on the mobile.

As reported everywhere, Pederson said he's on track for Week 1. Amazing the promising recoveries we have seen from achilles the last few years. I remember when JR got hurt, we all thought welp his career is toast, too bad he's a good kid. Look at him now, just over 7 months from his injury.

#Jaguars HC Doug Pederson said they are expecting RB James Robinson to be ready for Week 1 vs. Washington. They will be cautious and smart with him, but he’s on track. Robinson, who tore his Achilles in Week 16 of last season, recently started participating in team drills.

Andersen Pickard

@Hot Sauce Guy

Y'all know you can just quote the last one, right? Those nested quotes are a MFer on the mobile.

As reported everywhere, Pederson said he's on track for Week 1. Amazing the promising recoveries we have seen from achilles the last few years. I remember when JR got hurt, we all thought welp his career is toast, too bad he's a good kid. Look at him now, just over 7 months from his injury.

#Jaguars HC Doug Pederson said they are expecting RB James Robinson to be ready for Week 1 vs. Washington. They will be cautious and smart with him, but he’s on track. Robinson, who tore his Achilles in Week 16 of last season, recently started participating in team drills.
Sorry. I am new to the site. Was just trying to update this thread. My apologies.

With the new forum server, the "Reply" feature has reverted to including the entire thread. Using "Quote" narrows it to only the part of the text you want.

As for JR, it is encouraging that he is scheduled to be back so quickly, but have we yet seen a RB return successfully from an achilles injury?

With the new forum server, the "Reply" feature has reverted to including the entire thread. Using "Quote" narrows it to only the part of the text you want.

As for JR, it is encouraging that he is scheduled to be back so quickly, but have we yet seen a RB return successfully from an achilles injury?
Just used the Quote button and this is what I got.

ETA: Clearly I'm obtuse

NFL Beat Writers
@32BeatWriters

“James Robinson is expected to return to full speed in time for the team's Week 1 matchup… If Robinson is able to suit up for the Jaguars, it should be expected that he eventually move forward as the team's lead tailback.”
Demetrius Harvey
@Demetrius82
James Robinson is starting to get more participation as the #Jaguars continue through training camp
----------------------
Jaguars running back James Robinson 'expected' to return for Week 1 vs. Commanders
Jaguars running back James Robinson is expected to return to full speed in time for the team's Week 1 matchup against the Washington Commanders, head coach Doug Pederson said during his press conference Thursday morning. He will not be playing during the team's final two preseason games ...

Users who are viewing this thread