What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Javonte Williams, DEN (1 Viewer)

He did okay tonight.  Would like to see more production next week.
I hope that's tongue-in-cheek. He scored 26.80 in half PPR. He had 178 yards from scrimmage and a TD. That's a ridiculous 23.8 points standard. What more could the guy give ya? 

Anyone else think he still hasn't taken the RB 1A slot quite yet? 

The fact is Denver lost and were trailing 22-3 prior to Williams catching the pass and strolling into the end zone. 

I won't be surprised when Gordon takes the field ahead of him despite the splashy box score, it wasn't looking good early 4th before he racked up yds and the TD, my .02

-And I do love the guy and have him on many rosters but keeping it real.

Last edited by a moderator:

The fact is Denver lost and were trailing 22-3 prior to Williams catching the pass and strolling into the end zone. 

I won't be surprised when Gordon takes the field ahead of him despite the splashy box score, it wasn't looking good early 4th before he racked up yds and the TD, my .02

Today's production is not a sign of what he will do the rest of the year... it's a sign of what he can do NEXT year.  So I think this was a huge promising day for dynasty owners.

In redraft, he likely doesn't hit this many points again, but he's an RB1 with Gordon out.  Gordon will still cap his upside but I do think he will outscore Gordon rest of this year in fantasy.  But once Gordon is gone next year, look out.

Fast, powerful, elusive, great at breaking tackles, good hands.....this guy is going to be a top prize in next year's drafts. Taylor is clear cut #1 I believe, followed by Henry, Ekeler, CMC, Cook.  I think Williams comes into play around this spot. With his age and the injuries and crazy usage of some of those ahead of him, I could even see him creeping into the top five. 

If Gordon is gone, I would take Javonte at 2 behind Taylor.  This guy is sooooo talented.
My only fear at this point is Gordon comes back next year.  What kind of market will there be for a 29 year old RB?  I can see Denver resigning him.

My only fear at this point is Gordon comes back next year.  What kind of market will there be for a 29 year old RB?  I can see Denver resigning him.
It's tough because he's being compared to Williams' performances, but Gordon has played really well this season.  I could see teams like the Texans, Saints, Miami, Atlanta, or Seattle taking a look. 

Prior to the TD Javonte has 26 touches for 150 yards. Take away the 34 yard desperation reception to end the half too and it's 25 for 116.

Slice it and dice it anyway you want Javonte had a great game. And he was the only reason the offense was ever in position to do anything positive last night.

Gordon will absolutely get the start, he's done nothing to lose his job, it's the correct decision. But Javonte showed enough that it will be very interesting to see how the end-of-game division of labor between him and Gordon looks going forward.

I think it is very possible the "crunch time" playtime balance that has favored Gordon may flip.

Javonte still won't likely see 20+ touches again this season but he should get a modest bump from the 12.5 opportunities/game he was getting before last night.

If Gordon is gone, I would take Javonte at 2 behind Taylor.  This guy is sooooo talented.
Yeah, Taylor>>Javonte/Henry are my top three ATM.

You couldn't pay me to draft McCaffrey or Dalvin. I am more okay with regretting that decision than facing another season of scouring practice reports hoping for a questionable designation, at best, and trips to IR.

Slice it and dice it anyway you want Javonte had a great game. And he was the only reason the offense was ever in position to do anything positive last night.

Agreed. Denver should have been in contention all the way. His (Williams') game was that strong... which in turn exposed how weak Teddy Bridgewater's game is. Getting that production from the RB, all-star cast at WR, good defensive effort, and you still get blown out?

That was the death blow for his time as a starter IMO.

Prior to the TD Javonte has 26 touches for 150 yards. Take away the 34 yard desperation reception to end the half too and it's 25 for 116.

Gordon will absolutely get the start, he's done nothing to lose his job, it's the correct decision. But Javonte showed enough that it will be very interesting to see how the end-of-game division of labor between him and Gordon looks going forward.

I think it is very possible the "crunch time" playtime balance that has favored Gordon may flip.

Javonte still won't likely see 20+ touches again this season but he should get a modest bump from the 12.5 opportunities/game he was getting before last night.
Not sure about ROS, but I believe Gordon is gone next season.

I've been playing fantasy since 2004. Yesterday, for the first time ever, I forgot to make a planned substitution before game time: I left Saquon in my lineup and had Javonte on my bench  :sadbanana:

Fortunately, I didn't need him and cruised to an easy victory. Still, I hope those 26 points I left on the bench don't come back to haunt me in a tiebreaker.

I've been playing fantasy since 2004. Yesterday, for the first time ever, I forgot to make a planned substitution before game time: I left Saquon in my lineup and had Javonte on my bench  :sadbanana:

Fortunately, I didn't need him and cruised to an easy victory. Still, I hope those 26 points I left on the bench don't come back to haunt me in a tiebreaker.
you'll be alright.  It won't affect anything.

Jonathan Taylor has to be by far and away number one. I also wouldn't be totally stunned to see Denver bring back Gordon at a reduced rate. You can't win with a guy carrying the load like Javonte did last night, and Gordon has been more than passable for Denver this year. 

I am not a fly on the wall in Denver, nor speculating with certainty. I just don't think Javonte will be a true workhorse like he was last night. There's too much physicality and abuse his body will take the way he runs. He runs to contact sometimes, or at least doesn't avoid it. That's different than other guys who would be workhorses. 

Javonte could always make business decisions later to preserve his career, for right now bludgeon those DSTs and let me ride him to the ship!

side note* Aaron Rodgers has a chance to go to Denver next year, if that happens, I think Javonte might be #1 overall. 

Jonathan Taylor has to be by far and away number one. I also wouldn't be totally stunned to see Denver bring back Gordon at a reduced rate. You can't win with a guy carrying the load like Javonte did last night, and Gordon has been more than passable for Denver this year. 

I am not a fly on the wall in Denver, nor speculating with certainty. I just don't think Javonte will be a true workhorse like he was last night. There's too much physicality and abuse his body will take the way he runs. He runs to contact sometimes, or at least doesn't avoid it. That's different than other guys who would be workhorses. 
Agreed with this but think they'd go for a cheaper backup than Gordon 

Agreed with this but think they'd go for a cheaper backup than Gordon 
Probably so. That's honestly why I sort of was backtracking and saying not to bank on my speculation. That's all it is, is speculation. But I think, through reason, that they will need a 1b to go with Williams. 

Part of what is making Taylor the current no. 1 overall is his usage.  How long can Indy win giving Taylor 30+ touches per game?

Part of what is making Taylor the current no. 1 overall is his usage.  How long can Indy win giving Taylor 30+ touches per game?
You know what? I haven't followed Taylor's usage as much as I would have liked. It seemed like around Week Eight he was still only getting twenty, at tops, per game.

I just looked it up, and my suspicion was right -- he was only getting twenty, up until Week Ten, when his usage exploded. He was doing what he did on twenty touches tops per game. Henry was the only guy ahead of him, if I'm not mistaken, in points per game up until then. Taylor was first in total points off of twenty touches per game. 

But you're right. He's now getting thirty-plus touches. That'll help his points. Indy can't do that, either. You're right again. 

Javonte could always make business decisions later to preserve his career, for right now bludgeon those DSTs and let me ride him to the ship!

side note* Aaron Rodgers has a chance to go to Denver next year, if that happens, I think Javonte might be #1 overall. 
Not as long as Taylor has Quentin Nelson, Ryan Kelly & Braden Smith (don't forget Eric Fisher).

An entire week since anyone really posted in here?

What is 16 touches and 2 Touchdowns= Unsustainable?

"Correct, select again please" 

-I'll take more ways Mel Gordon is ruining my Playoff run for $1,200, Aaron! 

last 3 weeks in PPR:

RB10, RB1, RB

no complaints here, you cannot legislate usage

I don’t know about you guys but this is why I drafted him in the 6th (minor reach.) EOY production.

IDC if he’s Henry 2.0, I didn’t draft him as my RB1. He’s been my Flex since Carter was hurt, Pollard was my RB2 when Swift got hurt, and now JW is my RB2 alongside Najee (with 4 RBs + Hock on the shelf.)

You can never draft too many RBs.

And you’re not gonna lose this week or next or any week bc of one guy. You have to overcome guys underperforming every single week. So many little girls crying today about “I lost bc of this guy or that guy or bc FBGs lies to me.”

BS - you lost because your TEAM wasn’t good enough. You won because 8-9 guys contributed. It’s never bc of one.

And you’re not gonna lose this week or next or any week bc of one guy. You have to overcome guys underperforming every single week. So many little girls crying today about “I lost bc of this guy or that guy or bc FBGs lies to me.”

BS - you lost because your TEAM wasn’t good enough. You won because 8-9 guys contributed. It’s never bc of one.

Oh I don't know.

haha

Funnily enough, I mentioned this game in the Rams-Cards game. Did you see that or just a wild coincidence?

Up by 67, OPP had one player left? and the most ever points in one game was Jamaal Charles’ in Week 15 of 2013.

In a game in which he ran for exactly 20 yards, he scored 66.50 fantasy points.

(full PPR league + bonuses for long plays, long TDs, and milestones such as 100 yards.)

haha

Funnily enough, I mentioned this game in the Rams-Cards game. Did you see that or just a wild coincidence?

Up by 67, OPP had one player left? and the most ever points in one game was Jamaal Charles’ in Week 15 of 2013.

In a game in which he ran for exactly 20 yards, he scored 66.50 fantasy points.

(full PPR league + bonuses for long plays, long TDs, and milestones such as 100 yards.)

Just a coincidence. When I read your post, I remembered Charles saving my title run that year. I hope a few of my players this year get into some 56-31 games before the season is over.

Not that any of this 'membering goes against your point.

last 3 weeks in PPR:

RB10, RB1, RB

no complaints here, you cannot legislate usage

I don’t know about you guys but this is why I drafted him in the 6th (minor reach.) EOY production.

IDC if he’s Henry 2.0, I didn’t draft him as my RB1. He’s been my Flex since Carter was hurt, Pollard was my RB2 when Swift got hurt, and now JW is my RB2 alongside Najee (with 4 RBs + Hock on the shelf.)

You can never draft too many RBs.

We know Javonte looks the part; explosive both running and catching the ball. Aces both the eyeball test and the metrics tests (PFF Elusiveness Rating, for one.) He's an RB1 talent with good, but not elite, draft capital. At a minimum, he's a reasonable RB2/Flex play for the duration of this year. In my league, he's RB #16 overall- impressive given his timeshare role.

Part of the blessing and curse of Javonte type talents is that all of us focus on the ceiling outcome: 90%+ usage, nearly all positive game scripts, dominant line play, and just enough at the other skill positions to keep defenses from exclusively focusing on Williams. The reality check for all of us is that this is an outcome with a 5% chance of actually taking place. Instead, we need to think critically and consider multiple questions when thinking about Javonte's true value. For example:

1.Does Fangio return?

2. Do Bridgewater/Lock return?

3. Does Gordon return?

4. What other significant personnel changes take place.

IMO- those four questions are all completely unsettled right now. Until those considerations are answered, we are likely to see, going forward, much of what we have seen thusfar.If we get the "right" answers entering next year, Javonte is a lock top 8 pick and high end RB #1. Our eyes and the accompanying metrics point squarely to that outcome- he's elite, a true difference maker. If we get some "right" answers, he's still solid.

I have to think, at a minimum, that even if Gordon and all the other pieces return, that the backfield becomes a 65/35 Javonte led committee. Gordon is 28 or 29 and not a long term play, even if he's been really solid this year. With that, the team is 7-6 and looks ripe for a change. 

In summary, Javonte will be a fascinating case study all off season. There are an unusually large number of variables in play. He could be anywhere from a mid first round pick to a mid third round pick next off-season.

Users who are viewing this thread