What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (1 Viewer)

i cut bait for the time being. hes going to be in and out of the lineup if he comes back this early. He was killing my IR spot.
This early? It's been widely reported since he suffered the injury many thought it was a 6 week timeframe. That's next week and if they hold him out in week 4 due to bye in week, which I suspect, he'll be at 8 weeks when he makes his debut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I heard, shortly before our league drafted, that he didn't need surgery, that was enough for me to have confidence that he'll be back before mid-season. That made it worth taking a flier on him, but we have a fairly deep bench size so it's not hurting me to sit on him in hopes that he adds some puch and/or depth down the fantasy stretch run.

CBSSports.com

(12:32 pm ET)" Steelers rookie running back Le'Veon Bell could miss at least another month with a Lisfranc fracture, a source has told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review."

LT was on Sirius XM fantasy today and suggested that if thats the injury around week 10 would be a more likely return week. How long did MJD struggle with his Lisfranc fracture? I had MJD on my bench almost the entire season until I released him the last week last year. I may be cutting Bell.
So wait:

Le'Veon Bell (foot) was upgraded to "full" in Thursday's practice after getting in a limited session on Wednesday.
It's eye-brow raising, but Bell himself admitted on Wednesday that he's extremely unlikely to suit up for Sunday night's game against the Bears. The Steelers are also no strangers to playing injury report games with their running backs. Perhaps Bell will return in Week 4, but he remains off the Week 3 radar.
I guess the first report is why he got in my league. I actually tried to trade for him and that must have prompted the owner to see the report and cut him.

So on 9/11 he's a month away and then Wednesday 9/18 he's practicing and today 9/19 he's full????

Tell you this much - the Steelers need him to play and be good.
There are too many people trying to "break" stories anymore. Bell's injury has been reported as a lis franc, then not a lis franc, than a mid-foot sprain, then a lis franc again. Unless there's a name to the source, some kind of confirmation, or it comes directly from the player/coach, these "reports" should be taken with a grain of salt.
Even if it comes from the coaches, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Tomlin has been extremely squirrely about Bell's injury from the beginning.

CBSSports.com

(12:32 pm ET)" Steelers rookie running back Le'Veon Bell could miss at least another month with a Lisfranc fracture, a source has told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review."

LT was on Sirius XM fantasy today and suggested that if thats the injury around week 10 would be a more likely return week. How long did MJD struggle with his Lisfranc fracture? I had MJD on my bench almost the entire season until I released him the last week last year. I may be cutting Bell.
So wait:

Le'Veon Bell (foot) was upgraded to "full" in Thursday's practice after getting in a limited session on Wednesday.
It's eye-brow raising, but Bell himself admitted on Wednesday that he's extremely unlikely to suit up for Sunday night's game against the Bears. The Steelers are also no strangers to playing injury report games with their running backs. Perhaps Bell will return in Week 4, but he remains off the Week 3 radar.
I guess the first report is why he got in my league. I actually tried to trade for him and that must have prompted the owner to see the report and cut him.

So on 9/11 he's a month away and then Wednesday 9/18 he's practicing and today 9/19 he's full????

Tell you this much - the Steelers need him to play and be good.
There are too many people trying to "break" stories anymore. Bell's injury has been reported as a lis franc, then not a lis franc, than a mid-foot sprain, then a lis franc again. Unless there's a name to the source, some kind of confirmation, or it comes directly from the player/coach, these "reports" should be taken with a grain of salt.
Even if it comes from the coaches, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Tomlin has been extremely squirrely about Bell's injury from the beginning.
Good point; it used to be that unless a player was on the Patriots, injury info from the team would be relatively easy to obtain. It seems like the last few years, more and more teams have deemed it important to try to keep that information classified.

But that doesn't change the fact that reports from "unnamed sources" (IMO) tend to be especially unreliable.

Actually Tomlin never said that Bell did or didn't have a Lis-Franc. All he said was the injury was not as severe as the one suffered by Matt Spaeth and would not require surgery (as did Spaeth). Tomlin never gave a timetable for Bell's return.

It was the media that was speculating whether or not Bell had a Lis-Franc and how many weeks he was going to miss.

Bad decision on my part to fall prey to the media speculation vs. trying to form my own informed opinion of what the Steelers coaching and front office were reporting.

Actually Tomlin never said that Bell did or didn't have a Lis-Franc. All he said was the injury was not as severe as the one suffered by Matt Spaeth and would not require surgery (as did Spaeth). Tomlin never gave a timetable for Bell's return.

It was the media that was speculating whether or not Bell had a Lis-Franc and how many weeks he was going to miss.
I know this, and that goes to my original point; there are so many people "covering" the NFL anymore, that there is incredible competition to get "the scoop." What we end of getting is speculation, passed off as fact. Whether it be beat reporters, bloggers, people with "un-named sources," there's so many people trying to be the first to "break a story," that they are throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks. Then you get internet sites (huddle, rotoworld, cbs, espn, fftoday, FBG, etc) that report these things, and they are often accepted as facts, when they are merely speculation.With regards to Tomlin, while he never said it was or was not a lisfranc, he wasn't very forthcoming. I'm sure that at some point, he was asked by someone if it was a lisfranc, yet I can't find a definitive yes or no from him. Even last week, after the "un-named source" said it WAS a lisfranc (and it was noted in the local papers and local radio), he said nothing to confirm or refute that report. I wasn't at every press conference or interview he did last week, but I have to imagine that he was asked about that report. Yet nothing can be found where he says either yes or no. It just seems like more and more NFL coaches think keeping injuries a secret gives them some significant advantage. I don't think it does, but it does make our hobby a little more difficult.

Bad decision on my part to fall prey to the media speculation vs. trying to form my own informed opinion of what the Steelers coaching and front office were reporting.
He very will might have a lisfranc injury. As far as I've seen, they've never said that it wasn't that injury (only that his injury wasn't as bad as Spaeth's).But I know what you mean. When I saw the reports last week that it was, actually, a "rare lisfranc" injury, I looked for any confirmation/denial from the Steelers. I would have liked to see a denial, but since I didn't see a confirmation, I didn't fully believe it.

We'll see how he progresses. If he continues to practice in full, I would think he might play in week 4.

Someone asked Tomlin whether Bell would be ready for the season opener, and Mike Tomlin said "I hadn't asked. It's just great to hear that it is what it is. It's perking up day by day."

If you believe that, I've got some swampland in Florida to sell you. Yeah, like a head coach never thought to ask the doctor whether his starting running back would be ready to play by the beginning of the regular season. I'm sure that just slipped his mind entirely.

That's what I mean when I say Tomlin has been squirrely. He's refused to give any information about anything whatsoever- positive or negative. He's throwing up so much smoke I'm surprised the Fire Department hasn't set up a station across the street yet.

Someone asked Tomlin whether Bell would be ready for the season opener, and Mike Tomlin said "I hadn't asked. It's just great to hear that it is what it is. It's perking up day by day."

If you believe that, I've got some swampland in Florida to sell you. Yeah, like a head coach never thought to ask the doctor whether his starting running back would be ready to play by the beginning of the regular season. I'm sure that just slipped his mind entirely.

That's what I mean when I say Tomlin has been squirrely. He's refused to give any information about anything whatsoever- positive or negative. He's throwing up so much smoke I'm surprised the Fire Department hasn't set up a station across the street yet.
But there is a ton of swampland in Florida. Why would that be at all misleading like Tomlin was?

I'm envisioning that bar scene at McGinty's in Boondock Saints when they make fun of the bartender for all his messed up phrases...

What %FAAB would you bid on Bell if he were on waivers?

On one hand the Steelers offense stinks. On the other hand some of that stink may be attributable to the terrible backs they've trotted out there so far.

would anyone dare start Bell over Wilson this week? Not that Wilson is a great lock to produce since we don't know how many carries he'll get....but start the healthier back right?

would anyone dare start Bell over Wilson this week? Not that Wilson is a great lock to produce since we don't know how many carries he'll get....but start the healthier back right?
have they even said he will play? i doubt he plays and even if he did i wouldnt start him over Wilson.

Bell practiced again today and still hasn't ruled out playing week 3 against Chicago per Rotoworld.
I think it would be a mistake bringing the kid back this week, this reeks of desperation and usually bad things happen when you are desperate

Bell practiced again today and still hasn't ruled out playing week 3 against Chicago per Rotoworld.
I think it would be a mistake bringing the kid back this week, this reeks of desperation and usually bad things happen when you are desperate
Agreed. I said this in his other thread, but I'm hoping that's not the case and they're not rushing him out there before he is at 100% for fear of tanking without him. Obviously no one knows whether his injury was a Linsfranc or not, but if it was, then we saw how Gates' performance suffered all year while trying to play through the injury a couple seasons ago. I say sit him until week 7, 8, or whatever it takes. If he comes back and plays on a diminished level he's not even going to be startable behind their putrid line. At full speed he stands a chance.

Hey I'm excited, I hope he plays and shows something.

Miller and Bell could help the whole Steeler offense, even the defense.

If he's practicing in full and if the coaching staff wants him to play personally I'm inclined to think it's because they think he's ready. The length of recovery incorporates some "give" time or buffer for the return to full health anyway. If he plays maybe they work him in slowly and maybe it's week 6 or so before he gets going, but generally this is all a good development.

i dont expect bell to do any better than felix or redman have been doing... this o-line stinks. And I don't think Bell is any kind of special talent.... he'll get what is blocked each play... which right now is not much in pitts

i dont expect bell to do any better than felix or redman have been doing... this o-line stinks. And I don't think Bell is any kind of special talent.... he'll get what is blocked each play... which right now is not much in pitts
I don't think he's the next AP or Steven Jackson (someone he's been compared to), but if you think he's not a significant upgrade over Felix or Redman you're mistaken. He was considered by multiple scouts to be the 2nd best RB in the class behind Lacy, and he posted more yards in 2012 then the other top back out of the Big Ten, Montee Ball. I'm not saying he's an all-pro, but the kid easily has more talent than any other RB on their roster.

But there is a ton of swampland in Florida. Why would that be at all misleading like Tomlin was?

I'm envisioning that bar scene at McGinty's in Boondock Saints when they make fun of the bartender for all his messed up phrases...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swampland_in_Florida

GeeYouknit said:
groin pains said:
I still think we see him AFTER their BYE week!
This would be the smart route for the Steelers who have time and time again proved that they know what they are doing when it comes to smart moves so I'm expecting this instead of an early comeback.
As a Steelers fan, I have to disagree with this... at least for the last few years. We've lost very important games by playing Ben before he was ready to return from injury several times. Polomalu has missed most of the last 3 years because he is put back in a week or 2 too early every time. Tomlin has not been tops as far as clock control or challenges. He's fun to listen to, but I think he's wearing thin. They have been pushing their salary further and further into the future and that credit card is just about maxed out. Their early draft picks have not been hits aside from "Pouncey, the early years," and Ziggy Hood (at least starting). Mendenhall / Sweed? Cam Heyward? 2007 was their last good draft with Timmons & Woodley. Any of the coaching changes there look good? Haley working out? Have the special teams EVER been any good there? If not for Ben being able to do a lot with very little help and **** LeBeau making stars out of middling talent for years, this team would be picking top 10 very often.

How does this relate to Le'Veon Bell? I bought him as a #2 rookie pick. Just sold him + 2 other pieces for a very high pick next year because I don't think he's coming back to a situation that will allow him to succeed let alone excel. I also think they are going to bring him back too soon to try and salvage the sinking ship in order to keep fans in the stadium for another game or two and he'll be less than 100% the whole year.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Hey I'm excited, I hope he plays and shows something.

Miller and Bell could help the whole Steeler offense, even the defense.

If he's practicing in full and if the coaching staff wants him to play personally I'm inclined to think it's because they think he's ready. The length of recovery incorporates some "give" time or buffer for the return to full health anyway. If he plays maybe they work him in slowly and maybe it's week 6 or so before he gets going, but generally this is all a good development.
I was just coming in here to post this. Could Miller AND Bell be enough to transform this team almost overnight? It just might be.

iamkoza said:
There are all kinds of situations in the NFL where guys that nobody, even the NFL brass of all 32 teams, didn't expect much (Warner, Brady, Arian Foster, etc). This guy was drafted in the second round, but of course we all know that guys drafted in the first round can suck. BUT, the guy has an incredible opportunity. He has little to no competition. He might get 2 yards every carry, or he just might do something with that opportunity. You might want to wait until he carries a few times in a regular season NFL game before concluding that he's not special. Some guys just turn it on in the NFL. Some don't. The truth is, he's going to get that chance.

Where do you guys see him going forward? RB2? I'm worried about that offensive line.
RB3/Flex with RB2 upside dependent on matchup.
I would say this all though the offense did look better Sunday night with the return of Heath Miller, so maybe things are trending up
I hope you're right, and it's actually why I have the optimism to grade him as I did. If you would have asked me week 2 I would have said there's a good chance he's barely startable most games. Being a rookie, the foot injury, offensive troubles, and lack of a line are all against him. They appeared to do some things right on Sunday night and at least showed Ben can make teams respect the pass game and not stack the box, so that's a plus. Felix has also looked average to somewhat decent for parts of games, which bodes well for Bell. The RB3/Flex with RB2 upside is how I see it before he's even taken a snap in a true NFL game, so take it for what it's worth. Total wild card.

Two "footballguys views" from today's daily FBG email:

Bell could get a bunch of touches against a Vikings defense that can be abused up front
Bell is expected to play in Week 4 against the Minnesota Vikings, but they'll likely ease him back into the mix.
So which is it?

Bell could get a bunch of touches against a Vikings defense that can be abused up front
Bell is expected to play in Week 4 against the Minnesota Vikings, but they'll likely ease him back into the mix.
So which is it?
Im betting even the Steelers dont know. Everyone will have to wait and see how he responds to actual play. Unless things get clearer as the week goes on desperation start.

So which is it?
Im betting even the Steelers dont know. Everyone will have to wait and see how he responds to actual play. Unless things get clearer as the week goes on desperation start.
:goodposting: This

That and his practice this week will dictate his role vs. MIN.

I traded him last week in dynasty and I feel cheated almost. I guess we will see if it bites me
Hopefully you got good value for him. Depending on when you drafted he probably cost you a late first/early 2nd. Not sure I would have traded him in dynasty (unless of course, you got that kind of value for him).

He was clearly (even at worst) a bye and hold for week 6, when even the most pessimistic outlook had him playing. Even in redraft he makes a solid RB3 if he's healthy for your byes and should be seeing a majority of the carries in weeks 7 and following.

He tweeted last night, "Can't wait to get back to work tomorrow."

Guess that means he is practicing today. And if he practices Wed, Thu, and Fri, I doubt his usage will be too limited come Sunday. Whereas if he only practiced say, Friday, I could see him being eased back in.

Good chance he could be all systems go and at minimum be a 15 carry or so guy.

I traded him last week in dynasty and I feel cheated almost. I guess we will see if it bites me
Hopefully you got good value for him. Depending on when you drafted he probably cost you a late first/early 2nd. Not sure I would have traded him in dynasty (unless of course, you got that kind of value for him).He was clearly (even at worst) a bye and hold for week 6, when even the most pessimistic outlook had him playing. Even in redraft he makes a solid RB3 if he's healthy for your byes and should be seeing a majority of the carries in weeks 7 and following.
Sent him and Antonio Brown for Cobb

He tweeted last night, "Can't wait to get back to work tomorrow."

Guess that means he is practicing today. And if he practices Wed, Thu, and Fri, I doubt his usage will be too limited come Sunday. Whereas if he only practiced say, Friday, I could see him being eased back in.

Good chance he could be all systems go and at minimum be a 15 carry or so guy.
He practiced limited Wed and then practiced in full Thurs/Fri of last week - he's going to play but I have a feeling they may have him on a pitch count similarly to Heath was last week before taking the training wheels off.

If he practices and is healthy for the game, I think they will feed him the ball plenty. Remember, the Steelers have a bye the following week, so Bell would have an additional week to recover from the workload.

Ben Roethlisberger expressed skepticism Tuesday on Le'Veon Bell's potential impact.
"Honestly, I have no idea with him," Roethlisberger said. "You can't get a read on him. One day, he's practicing, one day, he's not; one day, he's going hard, the next day, he's not. I wish I could. ... If he was a guy like Heath Miller that you knew was busting his butt every day to get back there ... Le'Veon is a rookie, I don't know him quite well enough yet. But if he can come back and help us, we'll take him." It's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but if Bell's foot is truly 100 percent then we'd expect him to change Roethlisberger's mind quickly. The second-round pick is clearly the best talent in the Steelers RB room, and it's not close.
Big Ben sounds absolutely stoked.

Users who are viewing this thread