What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (4 Viewers)

The question for me isn't if Gordon "will be fine", it's whether he can justify his #37 overall ADP.

I don't think I've seen enough to say that he is worth that kind of investment.

...and nobody is "panicking", we're simply taking better players at that ADP.
In fairness, turning down Gordon for Abdullah straight up is he very definition of panicking.
No it's not. Abdullah is the better player
Disagree

The question for me isn't if Gordon "will be fine", it's whether he can justify his #37 overall ADP.

I don't think I've seen enough to say that he is worth that kind of investment.

...and nobody is "panicking", we're simply taking better players at that ADP.
In fairness, turning down Gordon for Abdullah straight up is he very definition of panicking.
No it's not. Abdullah is the better player
This. I'll most likely be drafting AA #2 overall in my upcoming rookie draft. Over Cooper, Gordon, and Parker. I have decided I simply like his potential better. Will Gordon have a better opportunity? Sure. But you don't draft opportunity in the first round of a rookie draft. The only guy I am thinking of taking over him is Parker (and Gurley, of course).
I feel like this is what the Abdullah drafters are doing. Gordon's more talented than Ameer.

San Diego Chargers RB Melvin Gordon not expected to play vs. Arizona Cardinals

This stinks. Not because "Oh my god, what a bust!" but because Melvin Gordon needs reps.

I've said this a few times in a few different places, but I was underwhelmed by the amount of carries I saw the first round draft pick getting in practice during Training Camp and I believe it led to his hesitation during the Cowboys game last week.

I have no idea if Melvin Gordon is going to be a great running back, or a good one, or a bad one. At this point, he's probably none of the above. However, what it appears to me that he needs to get better is reps, and him missing this game puts him another week behind schedule in getting those reps.

This will, however, put the team in an interesting position.....

I imagine Branden Oliver gets those carries Oliver is leaving on the field with the first team, and Donald Brown will get a more extended chance to prove me wrong with the second team. Let's see how those two things play out, because in addition to some people believe Donald Brown should be released, some others are already pushing for Gordon to take a backseat to Oliver in his first season. Maybe he earns that spot.
I haven't heard anything about the bolded, wonder where that is coming from?

This stinks. Not because "Oh my god, what a bust!" but because Melvin Gordon needs reps.

I've said this a few times in a few different places, but I was underwhelmed by the amount of carries I saw the first round draft pick getting in practice during Training Camp and I believe it led to his hesitation during the Cowboys game last week.

I have no idea if Melvin Gordon is going to be a great running back, or a good one, or a bad one. At this point, he's probably none of the above. However, what it appears to me that he needs to get better is reps, and him missing this game puts him another week behind schedule in getting those reps.

I imagine Branden Oliver gets those carries Oliver is leaving on the field with the first team, and Donald Brown will get a more extended chance to prove me wrong with the second team. Let's see how those two things play out, because in addition to some people believe Donald Brown should be released, some others are already pushing for Gordon to take a backseat to Oliver in his first season. Maybe he earns that spot.
Some dude on Twitter. That's all it takes nowadays.

Some dude on Twitter. That's all it takes nowadays.
Or someone less credible, like acee. Sounds like utter nonsense so that is my first suspicion these days.

(Rotoworld)Chargers RBs coach Ollie Wilson said Melvin Gordon's pass-protection concerns are overblown.

Analysis: "When he matches up, heÂ’ll put his head in and strike somebody," Wilson said. "HeÂ’s a big-bodied guy, and heÂ’s long, so he keeps people off of him. I donÂ’t see what people say, that he wonÂ’t pass protect. IÂ’ve had no problem with it." Gordon didn't pass protect much in college, and has reportedly been hit-and-miss in that area this summer. But the Chargers don't seem concerned. Gordon will be an early-down workhorse for the Bolts, but Danny Woodhead and Branden Oliver will more than likely handle all of the pass-game work.

(Rotoworld)Chargers RBs coach Ollie Wilson said Melvin Gordon's pass-protection concerns are overblown.

Analysis: "When he matches up, heÂ’ll put his head in and strike somebody," Wilson said. "HeÂ’s a big-bodied guy, and heÂ’s long, so he keeps people off of him. I donÂ’t see what people say, that he wonÂ’t pass protect. IÂ’ve had no problem with it." Gordon didn't pass protect much in college, and has reportedly been hit-and-miss in that area this summer. But the Chargers don't seem concerned. Gordon will be an early-down workhorse for the Bolts, but Danny Woodhead and Branden Oliver will more than likely handle all of the pass-game work.
We'll see soon enough. The Chargers will either trust him with a lot of pass protection snaps or they won't. My guess is the latter.

Looking like Woodhead will return to his roll from 2013? Could he get another 100 carries and 75 receptions?

Looks like Gordon is not going to be solid in PPR leagues. I think there might be a buy-low opportunity coming for him in the first half of the season. Just doesn't look liked its clicked for him in terms of tip toeing to the line, pass pro issues, time share issues especially on 3rd down and hurry up situations. Has all the look of a slow start for him, but hopefully rounds into form for the 2nd half of the season.

SD offensive line starting 4 guys at new positions this year. 3-4 games into the season, I expect the line to be much, much improved. Lots of talent, just need time to gel.

20 for 45 yards this preseason...
Richardson-esque.
This is my fear as I hold the 3rd pick in my rookie draft. I want to take him, but not sure if I'll be able to when I'm on the clock.
Please pick someone else if Gordon is still sitting there, so that we may all laugh at you for passing on him based on the preseason.
I do realize that every high draft pick pans out in the NFL, however I'd still feel better if he had done something - anything - in the preseason to show why he was so highly drafted. That said, link

SD offensive line starting 4 guys at new positions this year. 3-4 games into the season, I expect the line to be much, much improved. Lots of talent, just need time to gel.
The line better starting getting a lot better really fast because it's looking like Gordon is the type that needs mack truck type holes to go through to get decent yardage.

My theory is that Wisconsin and Bama running backs get so spoiled by their O-lines that they don't learn how to create extra yards on their own during their time in college so they have to learn how to do that in the NFL while running backs running behind worse O-lines have already learned how to do that in college. Just look at how long it's taking Ingram to pan out.

Just watched a bunch of his carries and I don't see the doom and gloom here. He looked Ok, but not special. I thought there were a few runs he hit the LOS with urgency and fought for yds that probably weren't there. The Oline looked terrible. Makes sense given the mass reshuffling.

Last edited by a moderator:
The line better starting getting a lot better really fast because it's looking like Gordon is the type that needs mack truck type holes to go through to get decent yardage.

My theory is that Wisconsin and Bama running backs get so spoiled by their O-lines that they don't learn how to create extra yards on their own during their time in college so they have to learn how to do that in the NFL while running backs running behind worse O-lines have already learned how to do that in college. Just look at how long it's taking Ingram to pan out.
Lacy?

And Gordon is the first one with the tools he has vs. what guys like Ball and Dayne had....

From the outset, I was leery of Gordon. Comes into the league with a two down skill set, and so his upside was always going to be capped. Never expected him to look like the second coming of T-Rich though.

I find him already better than Ingram in his first year, which - of course - doesn't say much. But if you think Ingram has "made" it, then there is zero reason to doubt Gordon. I am guessing the comparisons with Richardson are made from posters hoping to buy low.

Woodhead was used all over yesterday on all downs, very likely the most valuable SD RB this season. Gordon didn't look like he is going to make defenders miss much but ran very hard falling forward on a few of those runs, constantly churning his legs after contact. I think it was Phil Simms commenting during the game about the stutter steps and a touch of hesitation, needing to plant a foot and be decisive. Noticeable on a few runs. SEA defense is a tough assignment to get your running game going all things considered. Maybe it will just take him until week 9 to break out against the Bears on MNF.

My takeaway from the Chargers game yesterday is get Stevie Johnson as a great value in the draft, he will easily be a top 30 WR and a fantastic WR3.

Interesting how all these Wisconsin RBs struggle to adapt to the pro game. I wouldn't write off Gordon because of meaningless preseason games but I don't see how Gordon will justify his ADP. Woodhead is the guy to target in SD.

Lacy?

And Gordon is the first one with the tools he has vs. what guys like Ball and Dayne had....
Lacy has been solid that's true. And Ingram has had a role in the league so I guess he gets a pass. Perhaps clumping in Bama with Wisconsin is a bit unfair and maybe it's just Wisconsin.

Oh good Lord some ridiculous overreaction in here.
+1,000,000

I sincerely hope that most of you are smart, and just trying to drive down his price for your leagues.

Smdh if some of you really believe he won't be at least a top 10(probably top 5) RB in a couple of years.

From Don't Panic About Melvin Gordon:

1st and 10 from the SD 20. 14:15 2Q. I-formation, 21 Personnel

Philip Rivers gets hammered after Gordon fails to pick up the blitzing linebacker. If you're going to be worried about one aspect of Gordon's game this is it. The Chargers went I-formation and tried to sell the run. The play didn't didn't even have the chance to work because Gordon doesn't make contact with the defender. In order for Gordon to grow as a runner, it is critical that he be able to contribute in the passing game both as a blocker and receiver. Otherwise Frank Reich is pretty much telegraphing that the Chargers are going to run the ball when No. 28 is in the game (which, if you've been paying attention, has been true so far this preseason and is one of the reasons Gordon's numbers are what they are.)

What you should take away from Gordon's preseason performance is that this is going to take time. Time for him to get used to the NFL, time for him to get used to the offensive line, the offensive line to get used to him, and the offensive line to get used to each other - because there are absolutely some concerning issues there.
Unfortunately, that was the positive take from Bolts from the Blue. This is the negative take: The San Diego Chargers Wasted Their Draft Pick.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this guy with what we have seen from the Chargers. A lot of times pre-season is just a glorified practice, and teams just want to see how a guy handles running between the tackles with minimal game planning.

I am not sure he had a single run in the pre-season that he had much if any room to run with, which is probably the biggest concern I have with him is the Chargers offensive line. Reports are that the Chargers got 4 new offensive lineman, and that this will take time to gel, and with Gates out for the first 4 weeks. Hopefully, things will pick up for Gordon by week 4-5, and he'll start to get going.

When you look at his College highlights, he definitely is elusive, and explosive with the potential to take it to the house on any play. 2500 yards in College is 2nd most all-time behind Barry Sanders. I mean that can't alll be a product of Wisconsin's system. Montee Ball had 1900 when he was there. Thoughts????

He's going to be a star. Maybe not this season, but within 2 or 3 years he'll be an across the board first round fantasy pick.

Preseason/Shmeeseason.

I watched that last game again last night and the biggest red flag to me was how often woodhead was the RB during the first half. It looked like almost a 50-50 split between him and Gordon. I'd be interested in knowing the actual snap count. Woodhead was out there in every 3d down and obvious passing situation AND was out there on some first and second downs as well.

[Edit: I researched a bit and it appears Gordon had 19 snaps in the Seahawks game compared to 41 for Rivers. So he was indeed in for just about one-half of the snaps unless he came in after Rivers left the game, which I didn't see myself]

I know you can't judge Gordon based on Montee, but it is hard not to when you see gordon struggling to distinguish himself from the other backs on SD's roster.

My take from watching him in the Preseason is that he is having trouble adapting to the zone blocking scheme. He always seems to hesitate for a split second before hitting the hole. Hopefully that is something he can learn, it might just take some time.

I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of fantasy owners who used an early pick on Gordon who will be disappointed early in the season. It might well turn into a good buying opportunity.

bumpman said:
I watched that last game again last night and the biggest red flag to me was how often woodhead was the RB during the first half. It looked like almost a 50-50 split between him and Gordon. I'd be interested in knowing the actual snap count. Woodhead was out there in every 3d down and obvious passing situation AND was out there on some first and second downs as well.

I know you can't judge Gordon based on Montee, but it is hard not to when you see gordon struggling to distinguish himself from the other backs on SD's roster.
This is exactly how Mathews and Woodhead were used in 2013, when both were healthy, as I have posted previously. Woodhead had more snaps than Mathews in 2013. However, the possible good news is that Mathews still ranked #4 in the NFL in rushing attempts and #7 in rushing yards.

bumpman said:

This is exactly how Mathews and Woodhead were used in 2013, when both were healthy, as I have posted previously. Woodhead had more snaps than Mathews in 2013. However, the possible good news is that Mathews still ranked #4 in the NFL in rushing attempts and #7 in rushing yards.
Nice posting... Yea I think once he gets comfortable and has a little more running room as the offensive line gels things will start to turn around. He is definitely a real threat to take it to the house on any play, as well as still get 2-4 catches a game

This is encouraging:

“It was good to get those reps on film,” Gordon said. “Me and Ollie can sit down in the running back room with all the other running backs and talk about what I need to work on and how to get better. So it was good to put those reps on film.”

It's only encouraging if it translates to improvements in performance on the field. So far, there's been little evidence of that. He needs to get in the game and have some plays run for him this weekend. It's pretty clear he isn't used to the speed of the NFL yet. That doesn't get fixed by not playing in games - "mental reps" and watching film aren't going to help with that.

He is not NFL-ready yet and the Chargers O-line won't be helping this season. A lot of redraft owners will hate themselves.for spending an early pick on Gordon. Just Win Baby called this weeks ago -> Woodhead will play a lot, just as we observe in pre-season.

That said, I have seen nothing to suggest Gordon won't be an RB1 a couple years from now. The shark move is to lure a panicky dynasty owner into trading him on the cheap after Gordon posts a couple 19-for-60 in the first 5-6 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread