What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Peyton Barber, LV - 9.4.21 Signs with Las Vegas (3 Viewers)

I think it is fair to say that without Jameis and Evans we can expect the Bucs to try and force the run game in a big way. If they manage to succeed there should be more opportunities available to all their RBs. I am not convinced they can execute that game plan though.

I don't feel like people are ignorant of him any more than they are of any other rarely used backups. He's certainly had some buzz in the past. But let's be realistic - the starter missed three games but Barber failed to beat out the pedestrian Jacquizz Rodgers for snaps during that span and had zero impact after Doug returned from suspension. From what I've read, the Bucs rested a lot of starters during the last half of the 3rd quarter and beyond in week 9, so his snaps last week indicate nothing to me. The OC said "we're going to consider everything" which is coach speak for "you asked me a question and I'm replying with nothing of substance."

The Jets are shockingly playing pretty well, so I would not expect this game to have a positive script for the running game. Also, the Jets defense is not giving up a lot of points to RBs.

Barber remains a fair stash in dynasty leagues with ~300+ offensive players rostered, but should not be rostered in conventional 12 team redrafts. 

TL;DR - No, no buzz on this guy.
Fair points. Can't really dispute them. I guess he stands out a little to me as I see some similarities with the Darkwa situation. Very bland known unknown commodity that hasn't really ever done anything and been generally disregarded by FF but then finally steps in and starts to be a reliable RB3 warm body.

Fair points. Can't really dispute them. I guess he stands out a little to me as I see some similarities with the Darkwa situation. Very bland known unknown commodity that hasn't really ever done anything and been generally disregarded by FF but then finally steps in and starts to be a reliable RB3 warm body.
Anecdotally, he's rostered in all my dynasty leagues (not by me, but he has been), so that's another reason why I don't feel like people are not ignorant of him.  

I think Barber has potential, but I also think that Doug Martin is better than him. I was disappointed they didn't let him take over during weeks 1-3 when Martin was out. Well, not that disappointed since I don't have him, but I was curious how he would do as a featured back and I don't think very highly of Rodgers or Sims. 

Very curious to see if Koetter and the Bucs staff now turn to Barber with Doug Martin concussed and the season now lost.  By my math, there's no way they're making the playoffs with three teams in their own division multiple games ahead of them.

Barber's been a Matt Waldman favorite, and seemingly a favorite of the Bucs coaching staff.  They very well may want to see what they have here.

Doug Martin has no guaranteed money on his contract given the PED suspension, but regardless would have no guaranteed money left after this year.  He's going to be 29 next year staring at $6.75MM with $7MM salaries for 2019 and 2020.  The Bucs hold all the cards on that contract ... now perhaps they think $6.75MM is just fine for a (theoretically) solid RB who just hasn't produced this year due to circumstances and not his own talent/effort/whathaveyou.  Or maybe they decide to move on.

Either way - in dynasty leagues, might be worth seeing if Barber is sitting out there on the wire. 

Very curious to see if Koetter and the Bucs staff now turn to Barber with Doug Martin concussed and the season now lost.  By my math, there's no way they're making the playoffs with three teams in their own division multiple games ahead of them.

Barber's been a Matt Waldman favorite, and seemingly a favorite of the Bucs coaching staff.  They very well may want to see what they have here.

Doug Martin has no guaranteed money on his contract given the PED suspension, but regardless would have no guaranteed money left after this year.  He's going to be 29 next year staring at $6.75MM with $7MM salaries for 2019 and 2020.  The Bucs hold all the cards on that contract ... now perhaps they think $6.75MM is just fine for a (theoretically) solid RB who just hasn't produced this year due to circumstances and not his own talent/effort/whathaveyou.  Or maybe they decide to move on.

Either way - in dynasty leagues, might be worth seeing if Barber is sitting out there on the wire. 
Welp

What’s most frustrating is missing him by one spot in waiver priority this week, then seeing this happen. Only other guy to try to claim him was literally one F’ing spot ahead of me in a dynasty where I’m rebuilding a total trash roster. 

:rant:

Sanity check here - would anyone consider *buying* Barber after his last game in hopes of landing a starting running back for 2018 and beyond?  At what price would you be willing to take that gamble?

I’m not totally sold. Not sure of what his role will be when Martin returns, and as great as he looked last week he was facing GB.

Sanity check here - would anyone consider *buying* Barber after his last game in hopes of landing a starting running back for 2018 and beyond?  At what price would you be willing to take that gamble?
I wouldn't pay much. Seems like a good chance that Mr. Koetter is not welcomed back, and a new coach may get his own guy.

I wouldn't pay much. Seems like a good chance that Mr. Koetter is not welcomed back, and a new coach may get his own guy.
Yeah there's the rub, obviously.  And it depends on how much of a believer your trade partner is.  

I've seen trades like this in the past turn out pretty well.  Others totally bomb.

It would be a low price.

He's not very dynamic, and the Bucs OL is terrible. Will be overhauled in the offseason out of necessity, but who knows where it ends up. Barber is a north south runner who just goes straight ahead. Doesn't do anything great, but by just charging ahead can have some success. 

I'd be concerned too in his ability to adapt to a new playbook should Koetter be fired. Struggled with that since coming to the Bucs.

There's a chance he becomes the lead back next year, but I'd be very surprised. More of a "break in case of emergency" RB. Maybe he becomes a goal line back? 

I’m not totally sold. Not sure of what his role will be when Martin returns, and as great as he looked last week he was facing GB.
GB's rush defense is 7th DVOA and their defensive line against the run is 11th DVOA. Pretty solid by statistics, at least.

If he gets the full load vs Detroit he should have another solid outing.

so I'm probably picking this guy up on waivers and was doing some reading. From his draft profile:

Combine: 4.64 40 yard dash ... not great

However, top performer in the 3-cone drill and 20 yd shuttle

Had the lowest "stuff rate" (rushes for 0 yards or less) of any of the top runners in the SEC at 10.1 percent (Leonard Fournette was 15.3 percent).

60 of his 100 yards vs Green Bay were after contact.

Seems like an OK pass catcher out of the backfield.

Smart guy, solid work ethic, decent build.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a low price.

He's not very dynamic, and the Bucs OL is terrible. Will be overhauled in the offseason out of necessity, but who knows where it ends up. Barber is a north south runner who just goes straight ahead. Doesn't do anything great, but by just charging ahead can have some success. 

I'd be concerned too in his ability to adapt to a new playbook should Koetter be fired. Struggled with that since coming to the Bucs.

There's a chance he becomes the lead back next year, but I'd be very surprised. More of a "break in case of emergency" RB. Maybe he becomes a goal line back? 
Fair points on his limited skill set, but then again not every starting RB is overly dynamic.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zamboni

Totally true. I think his skill set leaves him in the realm of "always trying to be replaced". 

Until this game, he was outplayed by Jacquizz Rodgers in 2016 and 2017. It wasn't until recently that he claimed the backup spot. Did he get better? Partly. He is young. But he's also very average. As the Bucs don't have a good OL (and likely won't in 2018) and because I expect a RB to be drafted ahead of him I don't think he has much value.

Just my opinion as a guy on the coach. 

While his 40 time leaves something to be desired he has decent speed and good agility for his size. He had good production in the SEC. I wouldn’t completely sell him short. His athleticism is no worse than Mark Ingram from a measurables and collegiate production stand point (although Ingram is a far superior pass catcher). 

I wouldn't pay a ton for him individually, but assuming the premium guys are off the table I've found a limited budget is better spent loading up on a bunch of guys like this and hoping one or two pan out than ponying up more for a midlevel talent who is allegedly locked into a role (Jeremy hill, latavious, etc)

Motivation doesn’t mean much when you’re planted on the bench.
Wrote it tongue in cheek.  Even with Martin back I don't see how he gets planted to bench after last week's performance.  There may be some split which is why I'm stashing until it shakes out.    

God, i hope they dont just reinstall MuscleHamster. Thankfully i've not seen a lot of BucBall this yr but, when i have, it's looked to me like the holes are there but Martin shuffles/waddles/wobbles like LeVeon looking for a place to pee and boom, down goes Dougie

Updating an earlier report, Doug Martin (concussion) was a full participant at Wednesday's practice.

That makes Martin's return imminent. He should be back to face the Lions in Week 14, though it's unclear if he'll start or work behind Peyton Barber, who broke out for a career-best 143 yards from scrimmage last week at Green Bay. Martin has had a disappointing year, ranking last among qualified rushers in yards per carry (3.2).

Glad I spent my last faab on this guy...sigh
Martin's contract is not guaranteed. Koetter needs to win to save his job so he needs guys who are playing hungry. Martin has been next to horrible this year so why keep trotting him out there? Until I read something to the contrary I am assuming Barber will be starting or at least getting the bulk of the carries as long as he's producing.

God, i hope they dont just reinstall MuscleHamster. Thankfully i've not seen a lot of BucBall this yr but, when i have, it's looked to me like the holes are there but Martin shuffles/waddles/wobbles like LeVeon looking for a place to pee and boom, down goes Dougie
I don’t agree. I have seen a lot of Martin getting blasted in the backfield. But I would guess it’s a “hot hand” approach if Martin is OK.

Martin is going to play on 40% of the snaps and get 12 touches. Barber is going to play on 30% of the snaps and get 10 touches. Sims is going to play on 30% of the snaps and catch 5 balls. They're all going to be useless. 

Martin is going to play on 40% of the snaps and get 12 touches. Barber is going to play on 30% of the snaps and get 10 touches. Sims is going to play on 30% of the snaps and catch 5 balls. They're all going to be useless. 
While I respect your opinion. There is no way you can predict any of these splits with certainty.

While I respect your opinion. There is no way you can predict any of these splits with certainty.
He doesn't mean the precise percentages literally. His point is that there's likely to be a meaningful split. I agree with Johnny U. As a Barber owner myself, I don't trust playing him unless it's official that Martin isn't playing. 

He doesn't mean the precise percentages literally. His point is that there's likely to be a meaningful split. I agree with Johnny U. As a Barber owner myself, I don't trust playing him unless it's official that Martin isn't playing. 
Would love to see martin de-activated on sunday morning..if this happens, Barber is going to go crazy against what has become a terrible lions defense.

Waiting.... :ph34r:

Would love to see martin de-activated on sunday morning..if this happens, Barber is going to go crazy against what has become a terrible lions defense.

Waiting.... :ph34r:
If that happens, I'm starting Barber over Hunt without a second thought. 

Martin with a full practice yesterday so I don't see any chance of him being de-activated. You know he'll start and get, at least, 60% of the workload. Such a buzzkill that guy.

OK coach.... Their is no way Tampa gives Martin the ball that much,when Tampa has NOTHING to play for,and would like to see what they really have in Barber.Martin isn't going to be back next year. He'll be 29 next season. Most likely your either a sour Martin owner or didn't get Barber in any leagues.... I can guarantee Barber gets at least 15-18 touches,and Martin only comes off the bench to give Barber a breather.. Tampa has no reason to play Martin....I would bet anything Martin is lucky to get more than 5-7 touches.

Martin with a full practice yesterday so I don't see any chance of him being de-activated. You know he'll start and get, at least, 60% of the workload. Such a buzzkill that guy.
You obviously haven't been playing this game long enough to think that Martin will get 60% of the touches... Teams deactivate healthy players all the time,not saying they will do that with Martin,they probably have him active,just to give Barber a breather.

OK coach.... Their is no way Tampa gives Martin the ball that much,when Tampa has NOTHING to play for,and would like to see what they really have in Barber.Martin isn't going to be back next year. He'll be 29 next season. Most likely your either a sour Martin owner or didn't get Barber in any leagues.... I can guarantee Barber gets at least 15-18 touches,and Martin only comes off the bench to give Barber a breather.. Tampa has no reason to play Martin....I would bet anything Martin is lucky to get more than 5-7 touches.
That makes sense to us, but history shows that coaches don't always see it that way. If that proves to be true in week 14, then Barber owners who are still alive could play him in week 15. This week, it seems like a big gamble. 

What you think may be logical and reasonable does not always happen. Koetter has seen Barber in practice throughout the year and didn't bump Martin for him until Martin was injured. Barber certainly performed well and it would be wise to give him additional looks. Everything you said about Martin's age and contract is true, and the Bucs season isn't what they expected. Until Koetter comes out and says Barber is getting 15-18 touches, it's impossible to guarantee it.

I'm not sure the staff is all that interested in evaluating Barber since the coaching staff is surely getting fired after Week 17.

That makes sense to us, but history shows that coaches don't always see it that way. If that proves to be true in week 14, then Barber owners who are still alive could play him in week 15. This week, it seems like a big gamble. 
You obviously missed where he guaranteed it.

Crystalsteam99 said:
You obviously haven't been playing this game long enough to think that Martin will get 60% of the touches... Teams deactivate healthy players all the time,not saying they will do that with Martin,they probably have him active,just to give Barber a breather.
Whatever makes you feel better. 

I think most agree that Barber deserves another full workload. But Barber owners (myself included) are playing with fire if we go by the assumption that Martin will just be planted on the bench. I can see a fairly liberal dosage of Barber touches, but Koetter is basically signing his death warrant (even it's a done deal) if he totally benches the team's high priced RB who has been very lackluster this year but not totally disastrous.

Somewhere I read last week that Tampa was going to start Barber last week and see what he could do with the majority of the touches, and likely keep him in that role so they could accurately assess what to do with him and their RB situation next year. Then that is exactly what happened in week 13.

I believe they will keep Barber in the starting role after last week and until he proves otherwise. Martin has done nothing this year, and playing him does not help Tampa assess Barber whatsoever. 

Sorry, no link.

Users who are viewing this thread