What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Peyton Barber, LV - 9.4.21 Signs with Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

If I was choosing one of Barber or Martin to start this week, I would start Barber.

As I don't have that decision anywhere, I will start neither of them and hope this situation gains clarity this weekend.

Crystalsteam99 said:
OK coach.... Their is no way Tampa gives Martin the ball that much,when Tampa has NOTHING to play for,and would like to see what they really have in Barber.Martin isn't going to be back next year. He'll be 29 next season. Most likely your either a sour Martin owner or didn't get Barber in any leagues.... I can guarantee Barber gets at least 15-18 touches,and Martin only comes off the bench to give Barber a breather.. Tampa has no reason to play Martin....I would bet anything Martin is lucky to get more than 5-7 touches.
:lmao:  stop

It's an educated guess from me, I have nothing invested in this backfield.

I also think Barber should get 20+ touches after his performance last week. 

Roy Cummings‏ @RCummingsFRS

FollowFollow @RCummingsFRS

Doug Martin may return as #Buccaneers starter vs. Lions -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.floridafootballinsiders.com/rb-martin-may-return-buccaneers-starter-vs-lions/

TAMPA – Since the start of the 2016 season, the Buccaneers have had a runner gain 100 yards or more in a single game just three times. None of them are named Doug Martin, but there’s little to suggest that Martin is on the brink of losing his job as the Bucs feature back because of it.

Though Peyton Barber ran 23 times for 104 yards during his first extended look of the season last week, the Bucs do not appear to be ruling out the possibility of starting Martin ahead of Barber this week should Martin be released from the league’s concussion protocol.

“It remains to be seen until he’s cleared (from the protocol), but it’s a good problem to have,’’ Bucs offensive coordinator Todd Monken said. “I mean, Doug’s a good football player. And Peyton had a good week last week. But I think we also blocked well last week and schemed it up well last week. All those things (were) a part of (Barber’s success).’’

Monken added that the Bucs have “knocked around’’ the idea of how well Martin would have run under the same circumstances Barber had, which suggests they’d like to see if Martin could indeed regain some of his old magic should the scheme and line play work in his favor...
Go to the link for the rest of the article.

Snickers said:
Barber over Coleman is what I'm weighing and it sucks that I have to make that decision before today.
Same problem here.  I either have to start Coleman tonight and relegate Barber to the bench or bench Coleman.  If I do the latter, I have Barber or Bilal as my two options on Sunday.  I'm probably f***ed no matter what, so I might as well flip a coin.

Same problem here.  I either have to start Coleman tonight and relegate Barber to the bench or bench Coleman.  If I do the latter, I have Barber or Bilal as my two options on Sunday.  I'm probably f***ed no matter what, so I might as well flip a coin.
It is for my flex spot so I have some other options if needed and will most likely bench Coleman tonight and see what additional info is released on TB RB situation before Sunday.

Roy Cummings‏ @RCummingsFRS

FollowFollow @RCummingsFRS

Doug Martin may return as #Buccaneers starter vs. Lions -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.floridafootballinsiders.com/rb-martin-may-return-buccaneers-starter-vs-lions/

Go to the link for the rest of the article.
Reading between the lines (pun unintended), sounds like the coaches attribute much of Barber's success to better OL play. Which seems like they may want to see how Martin looks behind the line now.

Reading between the lines (pun unintended), sounds like the coaches attribute much of Barber's success to better OL play. Which seems like they may want to see how Martin looks behind the line now.
If you read further down in that article you will find this:

The bigger question, though, is what do the Bucs plan to do at the position moving forward. Martin’s salary next year jumps to $6.75 million, which is a lot to pay for a back who’s as injury-prone and inconsistent as Martin is.
I think Peyton is a strong long-term hold but I am going with other options this week to see how this shakes out for the remainder of the season.

If you read further down in that article you will find this:

I think Peyton is a strong long-term hold but I am going with other options this week to see how this shakes out for the remainder of the season.
Agreed. Seems like the safe option for this week. Worst case scenario is that he goes off again while Martin sits on the sideline, and you have a diamond in the rough the rest of the year (and maybe beyond).

Last edited by a moderator:
What's ironic is that my decision will likely come down to Barber vs. Jamaal Williams, both guys who you would think based on last week's performance would have the RB1 job locked up. Eh, maybe it's not even ironic. Maybe it's just the way the NFL is these days. As fantasy owners, we all want to see bellcow RBs. And there are definitely some guys like Peterson who are at their best if you keep feeding them the ball and they can get into a rhythm. But from a coach's perspective, it may be best to keep rotating guys in to maintain fresh legs and change things up for the D.

What's ironic is that my decision will likely come down to Barber vs. Jamaal Williams, both guys who you would think based on last week's performance would have the RB1 job locked up. Eh, maybe it's not even ironic. Maybe it's just the way the NFL is these days. As fantasy owners, we all want to see bellcow RBs. And there are definitely some guys like Peterson who are at their best if you keep feeding them the ball and they can get into a rhythm. But from a coach's perspective, it may be best to keep rotating guys in to maintain fresh legs and change things up for the D.
There's no room for logic in fantasy football. We want our RBs to get 50 touches a game, winning real NFL games be damned.

It is for my flex spot so I have some other options if needed and will most likely bench Coleman tonight and see what additional info is released on TB RB situation before Sunday.
I think I'm doing the same.  I forgot I also have Woodhead, and there's a chance he could have a breakout game if Alex Collins doesn't play.  Of course, if Collins is a GTD, that doesn't help, since they play at 8:30 Sunday.  I hate fantasy football.

I think I'm doing the same.  I forgot I also have Woodhead, and there's a chance he could have a breakout game if Alex Collins doesn't play.  Of course, if Collins is a GTD, that doesn't help, since they play at 8:30 Sunday.  I hate fantasy football.
Collins not listed on injury report. Of course, we're talking about migraines, so I suppose they could flare up at any time, but for now I would proceed under the assumption that he's playing.

Collins not listed on injury report. Of course, we're talking about migraines, so I suppose they could flare up at any time, but for now I would proceed under the assumption that he's playing.
I am, but as a Sterling Shepard owner, I know that this can change on a dime.

Why would they want to see how Martin looks now? He has no guaranteed money and will be 29 next year. I doubt they are interested in keeping him around at his current cap number especially considering he didn't exactly light it up this year. I am willing to bet Koetter cares way more about winning than anything else given his job may be on the line.

I like the "Bucs have nothing to play for so they will play the young guy" shtick in here. Koetter is 4 games away from never being a head coach again. I can assure you he is going to play who he thinks is best. Which is probably Doug, and also probably why he's getting canned. 

OK coach.... Their is no way Tampa gives Martin the ball that much,when Tampa has NOTHING to play for,and would like to see what they really have in Barber.Martin isn't going to be back next year. He'll be 29 next season. Most likely your either a sour Martin owner or didn't get Barber in any leagues.... I can guarantee Barber gets at least 15-18 touches,and Martin only comes off the bench to give Barber a breather.. Tampa has no reason to play Martin....I would bet anything Martin is lucky to get more than 5-7 touches.
I have considered your offer and would like to wager your net asset value. 

Is it still worth holding on to Barber? I guess it probably makes sense to see how things play out this week, but even if he reclaims the job, his next two matchups aren't nearly as good (ATL/CAR).

Thinking about KWilliams instead. Peterson may not be back anytime soon, and he finishes with Was/NYG.

I just saw a blurb on Rotoworld saying Barber is "clearly better" than Martin.

Many in this thread seem to agree.

This is a total fish opinion. If you believe  Barber is better you are either lazy and haven't watched both players play much or you're a complete fantasy white belt. Martin is inconsistent and frustrating to own but his tools are on a different level than PB and he's a much, much better player. I'm not saying PB is terrible or anything, Martin is just better.

I don't own either, I just watch football and laugh when people at a site like Rotoworld are so bad at their job. I also have no idea who TB will play this week, Martin is likely to be released after the season so who knows

This is a total fish opinion. If you believe  Barber is better you are either lazy and haven't watched both players play much or you're a complete fantasy white belt. Martin is inconsistent and frustrating to own but his tools are on a different level than PB and he's a much, much better player. I'm not saying PB is terrible or anything, Martin is just better.

I don't own either, I just watch football and laugh when people at a site like Rotoworld are so bad at their job. I also have no idea who TB will play this week, Martin is likely to be released after the season so who knows
I'll bet the people at Rotoworld know who TB will play this week.     ;)

Is it still worth holding on to Barber? I guess it probably makes sense to see how things play out this week, but even if he reclaims the job, his next two matchups aren't nearly as good (ATL/CAR).

Thinking about KWilliams instead. Peterson may not be back anytime soon, and he finishes with Was/NYG.
I picked up Kerwynn myself.. Debating him and Kenny Stills for flex.

As for Barber, i'm likely cutting him tomorrow so opponent can't pick him up to play against me.

You missed at least two chances to be condescending and one db moment that I saw.

You missed at least two chances to be condescending and one db moment that I saw.
Fair enough :)

But is there a fantasy opinion I expressed that you take issue with or did you just want to make fun of me? I think it's more constructive and valuable if we focus on Martin or Barber or even Rotoworld 

There is no way you can start Barber this week unless word comes out 1 hour prior to the game that Barber is starting just like last week. Barber is strictly a bench hold for now.

...and that’s why they are the Bucs.  :doh:
Yeah, the Bucs suck but I don't think Martin starting is a mistake. 

Barber is a really limited runner. Their gameplan was a lot better against the Packers with Barber (likely because he is limited). They ran a lot more inside zone/man schemes which played to the OL's strengths. In the past with Martin they've run a lot of outside zone. Martin isn't particularly fast (but has good vision), and they'd get killed because the OL would whiff or Martin would get caught by the backside because the OL wasn't opening holes. You can see Martin get more hesitant as the year went on, and its hard to blame him with how atrocious the OL was. Obviously also a coaching issue. 

If the Bucs stick to their previous gameplan vs the Packers I think Martin will have a lot more success. 

Martin is going to play on 40% of the snaps and get 12 touches. Barber is going to play on 30% of the snaps and get 10 touches. Sims is going to play on 30% of the snaps and catch 5 balls. They're all going to be useless.
Martin played on 27% of the snaps and got 12 touches. Barber played on 44% of the snaps and got 13 touches. Sims played on 28% of the snaps and got 5 touches.

I was close.

Martin played on 27% of the snaps and got 12 touches. Barber played on 44% of the snaps and got 13 touches. Sims played on 28% of the snaps and got 5 touches.

I was close.
Wasn’t watching the game, but did Barber start getting touches after Martin fumbled?

At this point I can't see how Barber doesn't start next week. He did everything he could do to prove he deserves the role after Martin fumbled. 

Also, Martin was his regular plodding self even before the fumble only his TD saved his fantasy day.

There literally is no incentive for the Bucs to go with Martin next week. Honestly he shouldn't even be active.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where coaching arrogance/stubbornness may come into play, or perhaps management is saying to Koetter "he may stink, but we are paying Martin a lot of money and don't want him on the bench". 

I did not get to see the game.  Martin's first game back from suspension (and all preseason), he looked very good making decisive decisions, and running strong.  Is he not running the same anymore?

I did not get to see the game.  Martin's first game back from suspension (and all preseason), he looked very good making decisive decisions, and running strong.  Is he not running the same anymore?
Seems like that one game back was more the exception than the rule based upon his year-long performance. Maybe running on adrenaline and fresh legs, but the homers probably have a better perspective.

Coaches sometimes overthink things, or act in incomprehensible ways. Keeping Martin as the starter makes as much sense as Arians keeping Chris Johnson starting over Davis Johnson, or the Titans not using Derrick Henry as the starter.

Sometimes coaches think they know best, and can't or won't change their ways.

Koetter sticking around next year - could be good for Barber although have to think they’ll bring in more RB talent.

Peyton Barber said he's trimmed down in an effort to get faster.

Barber has been on a strict diet with the goal of turning "excess fat" into "lean muscle." "At the Combine I ran a 4.62 or a 4.64, and then at my pro day I ran a 4.58," he said. "I’m getting closer to 4.5 right now." Barber has been typecast as a power back since joining the Bucs as an undrafted rookie in 2016, but believes he can be much more than that. "I want to show people that I can break off the long runs and that I’m not just a power back," he said. "I want to show everyone that I can be an all-around back." Barber said his goal is to rush for 1,000 yards this season, though that seems unlikely given the presence of second-round rookie Ronald Jones.

Source: Pewter Report 

Has anyone had the guts to buy Barber in dynasty?  If so, what did/would you pay?
I am curious on this also. Someone cut him in my dynasty league a few month back when we have to cut down our rosters.   I am curious if he will get drafted ahead of Jones

Users who are viewing this thread