What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Peyton Barber, LV - 9.4.21 Signs with Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

Several different podcasts I listen to this week mentioned Barber as someone who could break out this week and I honestly have no idea why. Is there something wrong with PIT's front?
With Cook out, Barber is my new RB2.  I don't expect a breakout against a proud winless Steeler team.  I'm not sure that he is capable of a breakout against any team.  But, I'm hoping for a 1 yard TD plunge to save an otherwise uneventful game for him.  

This talk of Jones replacing Barber anytime soon is incorrect.

The team has been very happy with how Barber has been playing. He's been very strong in pass blocking and the passing game which are big improvements from last year (even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet). On Djax 75 yard TD bomb he had a great block on an edge rusher that gave Fitzmagic the time to make the throw.

I understand if you're moving on because of depth issues. But Barber is not the problem, and he is not being replaced any time soon. The problem is (a) teams forcing Fitz to pass (b) run blocking by the OL and (c) game script. 

I still expect Barber to hit 1000 yards for a couple reasons. (1) He's the clear lead back with no challenges from Jacquiss or Wilson and (b) the team will have to start relying on the run game (Fitz isn't going to win MVP).

Of course, this is just my opinion as someone who follows the team closely. Koetter isn't texting me his plans. But based on what the team is saying and what beat reporters are seeing this seems to be the read. 

Jones inactive.

So...many have the "wait one more week" before making a decision on dropping.

What production actually keeps him on your roster?

I want to see something tonight.

I was just looking at his match-ups. No one has run on NO or PHI so far, they're allowing the 30th and 31st least ppg to RBs through 3 weeks. I think his slate has just been super rough so far. And I don't think PIT is a particularly good match-up either but it may be a bit better than his previous two. 

Yeah, he's a JAG but I'm not sure anyone can run behind that line. They can pass block but don't seem to be able to run block.

Looking more and more like it's time to try out Jones, even if it is just for a handful of touches a game.

Looking more and more like it's time to try out Jones, even if it is just for a handful of touches a game.
Just doesn't seem to fit what they're doing.  They're slinging it all game long, and it's working.  Barber is a better pass catcher and pass blocker.  He just fits better.

He had 33 yards on 8 carries.  They just aren't giving the opportunities.  Jones might make a bit more out of the same opportunities, but you give up so much in the passing game--and seeing Fitz under constant pressure tonight, I've got to think they need all the help they can get.

I think it's a bit of both - the team is not committed to running the ball, perhaps reflecting the poor OL. So it's hard to get a true assessment of Barber as a feature back.

On the other hand, I do think that at the end of the day, Barber is what we thought he was - a very hard working, punishing back that is solid in all aspects of the game - yet not a difference maker and will essentially only get what his blocking gives him (granted not unlike most RBs).

Unfortunately, guys like Barber get replaced all the time, and if it's not Jones, it will probably be someone else next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
beerbuff said:
This offense requires a pass catching back that can also block and pick up blitzes.  And that is neither Barber and Jones.  I can only imagine what this offense can be if they had let's say Austin Ekeler.  This is an all out aerial attack that is why Rodgers takes so much snap count from the other backs.

This offense requires a pass catching back that can also block and pick up blitzes.  And that is neither Barber and Jones.  I can only imagine what this offense can be if they had let's say Austin Ekeler.  This is an all out aerial attack that is why Rodgers takes so much snap count from the other backs.
I hear LeVeon Bell is available  :whistle:

Barber isn't going anywhere because of pass protection but he's not startable in fantasy. The sole league I have him in is super deep so there's no point in dropping him. I can't start him, can't drop him so he's in fantasy limbo.

10 player benches, anyone who sees any kind of volume is rostered 
My bench is 7 deep that's it.

I've already got J. Williams and A. Jones rostered along with starters Gurley, Connor, Howard with A. Collins on the bench until J. Allen breaks his leg.

No room for Barber anymore.

I don't care how bad that line is, with that passing game you should be able to put up over 3 ypc. 
Not with the way they're using him. A big chunk of his carries have come at the end of the games when they're killing clock with the lead, and they barely pretend to get him involved in the passing game.

He is the top back on the league's #1 offense (ypg)...... yet he is on pace for 698 total yards and 0 TDs.  Historically I can't think of any offensive juggernauts where the RB position contributed nothing of FF value.  Very strange.

He is the top back on the league's #1 offense (ypg)...... yet he is on pace for 698 total yards and 0 TDs.  Historically I can't think of any offensive juggernauts where the RB position contributed nothing of FF value.  Very strange.
This is precisely why I'm not cutting bait. Maybe this will be one of the few times when the law of averages fails. Or maybe Barber has some brighter days ahead as the weather turns cold.

This is precisely why I'm not cutting bait. Maybe this will be one of the few times when the law of averages fails. Or maybe Barber has some brighter days ahead as the weather turns cold.
For me, I'm more concerned about a couple of things:

1. Losing the job. Sure, Jones can't pass block like Barber, so this is unlikely. But, nothing is stopping them from working Jones in more to be a more dynamic runner than Barber. He's getting 14 carries a game, which is nothing to sneeze at, but he is not doing much with those carries. Even losing 1/3-1/4 of those to Jones would be a disaster for his fantasy implications. 

2. OL. Not very good at run blocking. So why would we expect him to ever get better

3. Defense. Their defense is not very good it seems, although they did just play 3 very good offenses. It just seems like the defense will always force the offense to go pass happy. 

I'm not cutting bait completely. I think he's a great buy low. I had considered cutting him for Duke Johnson, and still may, but Jimmy G being lost opens up a roster spot in my short bench redraft league. So for now I'm fine with keeping him and seeing if he turns it around. In dynasty I'd be interested in selling but price has to be right. Trying to get a 2nd round pick for him as we speak. 

I'm a big fan of this offense and I've invested into it a lot, and its paying off. Funny how just a month ago people were dissing this offense. 

3. Defense. Their defense is not very good it seems, although they did just play 3 very good offenses. It just seems like the defense will always force the offense to go pass happy.
great post and agree with all of it. it seemed like their line is not bad at all though. Not having watched their first two games, I expected an inept pass rush but it was amazing how often Big Ben was able to get the ball out with so much traffic around him. That was all Ben, the pass rush didn't give him really much room to operate. Many other QB's in the league would have gone down more and made more mistakes playing from such a tight pocket all night imo. They were at least in Ben's face most of the night I thought. their secondary looked bad though.

I've been leery of RoJo's long-term potential, but I can't believe he hasn't even been active.

They've got to get him some touches unless there's something behind the scenes we don't know.

Did they run two times in a row the entire game? Have they done so at all in three games? I'd bet it's close to zilch.

Definition of token running game. TB is just not that interested.

Did they run two times in a row the entire game? Have they done so at all in three games? I'd bet it's close to zilch.

Definition of token running game. TB is just not that interested.
What are your thoughts on other teams who have faced these guys? 

PHI: #1 against the run
NO: #6 against the run
PIT: #25 against the run- however a point could be made that the game script for this game fdid not favor rushing much at all; TB was playing catch up for the majority of the game

Granted, 3 weeks is not a good sample size, but it's all we have at this point. One could make the point thatone reason PHI and NO are as high as they are against the run is because both have faced TB (however other teams have not done well either agianst them) 

Looking out at TB's schedule, after they face the Bears they have some very favorable match ups for RBs pretty much rest of season. The only problem is their division is tough and the offenses are pretty good, so I worry that the script may limit rushing. 

this is a really good assessment as long Fitz is the QB. The only RB who played with Fitz when Fitz was the starter for most of the season for a team was CJ Spiller in 2012 with Buffalo, who notched 207/1244 rushing and 43/459 receiving. He fits the bill of this post. He ranked 22nd in attempts that year, so it's not like he got a ton of reps either. Barber's ceiling isn't anywhere near these numbers imo.

The other two RB's who got to a 1000 yard season with Fitz at the helm were Fred Jackson in 2009 with 237/1062 and Chris Ivory in 2015 with 247/1070. They ranked 13th and 6th in attempts respectively. Barber won't see that kind of volume, so not a rosy outlook, again as long as Fitz is the QB, not to mention the state of the oline.

How do you guys see this playing out if Winston is back at QB? better outlook or pretty much the same for Barber in that scenario?

Is the O-line truly that bad? My impression was that they were middle of the road, maybe a little better against the pass with Smith and Marpet on the left side, and with Jensen holding his own against the run in center.

The right side is more vulnerable and has less overall experience, but overall thought this line graded in the middle of all NFL Ds and really hasn't degraded.

The fact that TB is 30th in rushing offense seems to me more Barber's mediocre contributions than just on the line.

The season will be over by then. 

I've been leery of RoJo's long-term potential, but I can't believe he hasn't even been active.

They've got to get him some touches unless there's something behind the scenes we don't know.
This is baffling to me. I wanted no piece of him after hearing the TC reports. Then I watched some college highlights and have a hard time thinking he was THAT bad in TC that they wouldn’t at least activate him with as pedestrian as Barber looks. Currently they have no long term plan at RB. There must be more to it. I really wanna buy but I’m afraid the whole story isn’t there. 

This is baffling to me. I wanted no piece of him after hearing the TC reports. Then I watched some college highlights and have a hard time thinking he was THAT bad in TC that they wouldn’t at least activate him with as pedestrian as Barber looks. Currently they have no long term plan at RB. There must be more to it. I really wanna buy but I’m afraid the whole story isn’t there. 
He had one of the worst camps/preseasons I've ever seen. Like, if he wasn't a high 2nd round pick he would very likely have been cut bad.

Sometimes, you have to hold and just wait it out until something better comes along.  And right now, most leagues don't have anything better on the WW. 

I almost dropped Carson last week but couldn't find an upgrade and now it looks like he may be serviceable.  Maybe Barber becomes a RB3 eventually if TB tries to actually run the ball more.  Sure, the passing game is clicking but wearing out defenses and keeping the ball out of the other team's hands is often a great strategy.  Just because you run the ball more doesn't mean you abandon the passing game. 

Pass blocking, that's it. They probably don't trust RoJo and they're a pass first team. Barber is PFF's 7th highest graded pass blocking back so far. He helps keep the pocket clean and gives Fitz the time he needs to do Fitz things.

Pass blocking, that's it. They probably don't trust RoJo and they're a pass first team. Barber is PFF's 7th highest graded pass blocking back so far. He helps keep the pocket clean and gives Fitz the time he needs to do Fitz things.
It's not just pass blocking.

RoJo had had major vision and mental processing issues. He'd miss holes that all the UDFA RBs were hitting in the preseason. Add on top that he's abysmal as a pass catcher - the only reason we're talking about him at all is his draft stock. 

Unless you're in a small league with not many bench spots, not sure how you could drop him given the volume he gets. We won't continue to score literally every TD through the air and the schedule gets much easier after this week in terms of defenses.

Not with the way they're using him. A big chunk of his carries have come at the end of the games when they're killing clock with the lead, and they barely pretend to get him involved in the passing game.
This.

And the only times they ran it last night was on first down, up the gut and straight into a blitzing Watt

I'm back and forth for my short bench league. Fitzpatrick is still available, and he could give my team a big boost. I'm likely going to make a go at him at the expense of Barber. 

I own Goff but whoever is leading this offense at qb is going to be a league winner IMO. 

As far as Barber goes, hes my rb4 with a healthy Mixon. he has more value in a trade but I cant find a trade partner when hes scoring 4 points a game. 

I'll likely drop Barber and try to grab him back after this week's games. it helps he has a week 5 bye so that he is attractive to other teams as a pick up in short bench leagues. 

Cool story, I know, but just fyi for others trying to figure out what to do and what others are doing 

Is the O-line truly that bad? My impression was that they were middle of the road, maybe a little better against the pass with Smith and Marpet on the left side, and with Jensen holding his own against the run in center.

The right side is more vulnerable and has less overall experience, but overall thought this line graded in the middle of all NFL Ds and really hasn't degraded.

The fact that TB is 30th in rushing offense seems to me more Barber's mediocre contributions than just on the line.
Footballoutsiders has TB run blocking at #31 DVOA, so they are bad. They are good at pass pro though.

Still, Barber has been pretty underwhelming.

And the cold here is like 62 in December. That’s not really a valid theory for Barber. 
I would venture to guess TB plays maybe one cold weather games a year with their and Carolin’a location and Atlanta and NO being dome teams. This is something people over exaggerate every year, but more so here when we’re talking a team based in Florida.

Footballoutsiders has TB run blocking at #31 DVOA, so they are bad. They are good at pass pro though.

Still, Barber has been pretty underwhelming.
It’s weird how good they are at pass pro and how bad they are at run pro. There’s no in-between. 

Peyton is my RB5 in a start 3 league, behind DJ, Devonta, Conner, and Collins.  I want to drop him, but just can't bring myself to do it.  Yes, he is not a stud.  Yes, the TB run blocking sux.  Yes, TB is gonna be a pass-happy team.  Yes, RoJo rushed more times than he did in week 4.  Yes, dropping him now, before his bye, may make other league owners stay away.  But then I look at the games TB has played:

vs NO - Barber gets 19 carries, Rodgers gets 2, Wilson gets 1, and Fitz runs 12 times (not scripted).  Barber only gets 69 yds (3.6 ypc), but Rodgers and Wilson don't fare any better, going just 7 yds on 3 carries.  Fitz passes only 28 times, and does not get sacked.  The only RB to see a target was Rodgers (a catch for 2 yds).  Barber gets 48 snaps, Rodgers gets 15, and Wilson gets 2.  TB wins.  The Saints run D proves stout thus far - Hyde goes 16 for 43 (2.7) in week 2, Coleman goes 15 for 33 (2.2) in week 3, and Saquon goes 10 for 44 (4.4) in week 4. - When you compare Barber's #'s to this bunch, he looks good.

vs PHI - Barber gets 16 carries, Rodgers gets 5, Wilson gets 1, and Fitz runs 1 time.  Barber only gets 22 yds (1.4 ypc), but Rodgers doesn't fare much better, going 13 yds on 5 carries (2.6).  Wilson does get 9 yds on his 1 carry.  Fitz passes 33 times, and gets sacked twice.  Fitz targets Rodgers 3 times, and Barber twice.  Barber gets 36 snaps, Rodgers gets 18, and Wilson gets 3.  TB wins.  The Eagles run D proves stout thus far - Freeman/Coleman go 15 for 55 (3.7) in week 1, Wilkins/Hines go 11 for 37 (3.4) in week 3, and Henry/Lewis go 12 for 24 (2.0) in week 4. - When you compare Barber's #'s to this bunch, he looks hideous.

vs PIT - Barber gets 8 carries, Rodgers gets 2, Wilson gets 0, and Fitz runs 5 times.  Barber gets 33 yds (4.1 ypc), and Rodgers gets negative 1 yd.  Fitz passes 50 times, and gets sacked 3 times.  Fitz targets Rodgers 3 times, and Barber/Wilson twice each.  Barber gets 44 snaps, Rodgers gets 25, and Wilson gets 3.  TB loses.  The Steelers run D proves very good thus far - Hyde goes 22 for 62 (2.8) in week 1, Hunt goes 18 for 75 (4.2) in week 2, and Collins/Allen go 21 for 72 (3.4) in week 4. - When you compare Barber's #'s to this bunch, he looks good.

vs CHI - Barber gets 7 carries, Jones gets 10, and Winston runs 1 time.  Barber gets 24 yds (3.4 ypc), and Jones gets 29 yds (2.9).  Winston/Fitz pass 38 times, and get sacked 2 times each.  Barber and Jones each get 2 targets.  Barber gets 31 snaps, Jones gets 20, and Rodgers gets 11.  TB loses.  The Bears run D proves stout thus far - Williams/Montgomery go 17 for 54 (3.2) in week 1, Carson/Penny/Davis go 19 for 57 (3.0) in week 2, and David Johnson goes 12 for 31 (2.6) in week 3. - When you compare Barber's #'s to this bunch, he looks very good.

- After having probably the toughest first 4 games for any RB this season, and playing behind a poor run-blocking line, his numbers show he only had 1 terrible game, and actually did relatively well in the other 3.

- Jacquizz Rodgers has proven himself to be a small part in TB's plan, with only 9 carries and 7 targets in the first 3 games.  He had no carries and no targets in game 4.  He is obviously just a 3rd down back.

- Shaun Wilson was never a factor, getting only 2 carries and 2 targets in the first 3 games, then not even seeing the field in game 4.

- Barber's only real competition is Jones.  Against CHI, Barber got 6 carries in the first half, and only 1 at the start of the 3rd quarter.  Jones only got 1 carry in the first half, and 9 more when the game was out of reach, yet Barber still had a better YPC.

- Barber got 35 carries in TB's 2 wins, and only 15 carries in TB's 2 losses.  Coincidence?

- Perhaps TB comes back after the bye with Winston and gives Jones a chance to be the main RB, with Barber playing second fiddle.  Jones obviously has a better chance at explosive plays, but TB is going to be a pass first team, and Barber fits the bill better.

For all the stats and reasons above, I am choosing to hold him and see what week 6 versus ATL brings.

Peyton is my RB5 in a start 3 league, behind DJ, Devonta, Conner, and Collins.  I want to drop him, but just can't bring myself to do it.  Yes, he is not a stud.  Yes, the TB run blocking sux.  Yes, TB is gonna be a pass-happy team.  Yes, RoJo rushed more times than he did in week 4.  Yes, dropping him now, before his bye, may make other league owners stay away.  But then I look at the games TB has played:

vs NO - Barber gets 19 carries, Rodgers gets 2, Wilson gets 1, and Fitz runs 12 times (not scripted).  Barber only gets 69 yds (3.6 ypc), but Rodgers and Wilson don't fare any better, going just 7 yds on 3 carries.  Fitz passes only 28 times, and does not get sacked.  The only RB to see a target was Rodgers (a catch for 2 yds).  Barber gets 48 snaps, Rodgers gets 15, and Wilson gets 2.  TB wins.  The Saints run D proves stout thus far - Hyde goes 16 for 43 (2.7) in week 2, Coleman goes 15 for 33 (2.2) in week 3, and Saquon goes 10 for 44 (4.4) in week 4. - When you compare Barber's #'s to this bunch, he looks good.

vs PHI - Barber gets 16 carries, Rodgers gets 5, Wilson gets 1, and Fitz runs 1 time.  Barber only gets 22 yds (1.4 ypc), but Rodgers doesn't fare much better, going 13 yds on 5 carries (2.6).  Wilson does get 9 yds on his 1 carry.  Fitz passes 33 times, and gets sacked twice.  Fitz targets Rodgers 3 times, and Barber twice.  Barber gets 36 snaps, Rodgers gets 18, and Wilson gets 3.  TB wins.  The Eagles run D proves stout thus far - Freeman/Coleman go 15 for 55 (3.7) in week 1, Wilkins/Hines go 11 for 37 (3.4) in week 3, and Henry/Lewis go 12 for 24 (2.0) in week 4. - When you compare Barber's #'s to this bunch, he looks hideous.

vs PIT - Barber gets 8 carries, Rodgers gets 2, Wilson gets 0, and Fitz runs 5 times.  Barber gets 33 yds (4.1 ypc), and Rodgers gets negative 1 yd.  Fitz passes 50 times, and gets sacked 3 times.  Fitz targets Rodgers 3 times, and Barber/Wilson twice each.  Barber gets 44 snaps, Rodgers gets 25, and Wilson gets 3.  TB loses.  The Steelers run D proves very good thus far - Hyde goes 22 for 62 (2.8) in week 1, Hunt goes 18 for 75 (4.2) in week 2, and Collins/Allen go 21 for 72 (3.4) in week 4. - When you compare Barber's #'s to this bunch, he looks good.

vs CHI - Barber gets 7 carries, Jones gets 10, and Winston runs 1 time.  Barber gets 24 yds (3.4 ypc), and Jones gets 29 yds (2.9).  Winston/Fitz pass 38 times, and get sacked 2 times each.  Barber and Jones each get 2 targets.  Barber gets 31 snaps, Jones gets 20, and Rodgers gets 11.  TB loses.  The Bears run D proves stout thus far - Williams/Montgomery go 17 for 54 (3.2) in week 1, Carson/Penny/Davis go 19 for 57 (3.0) in week 2, and David Johnson goes 12 for 31 (2.6) in week 3. - When you compare Barber's #'s to this bunch, he looks very good.

- After having probably the toughest first 4 games for any RB this season, and playing behind a poor run-blocking line, his numbers show he only had 1 terrible game, and actually did relatively well in the other 3.

- Jacquizz Rodgers has proven himself to be a small part in TB's plan, with only 9 carries and 7 targets in the first 3 games.  He had no carries and no targets in game 4.  He is obviously just a 3rd down back.

- Shaun Wilson was never a factor, getting only 2 carries and 2 targets in the first 3 games, then not even seeing the field in game 4.

- Barber's only real competition is Jones.  Against CHI, Barber got 6 carries in the first half, and only 1 at the start of the 3rd quarter.  Jones only got 1 carry in the first half, and 9 more when the game was out of reach, yet Barber still had a better YPC.

- Barber got 35 carries in TB's 2 wins, and only 15 carries in TB's 2 losses.  Coincidence?

- Perhaps TB comes back after the bye with Winston and gives Jones a chance to be the main RB, with Barber playing second fiddle.  Jones obviously has a better chance at explosive plays, but TB is going to be a pass first team, and Barber fits the bill better.

For all the stats and reasons above, I am choosing to hold him and see what week 6 versus ATL brings.
Yeah he’s a drop. 

Users who are viewing this thread