What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

We ended up putting "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" at the front of the Netflix Queue. Based on the raves in here, and who they're coming from, I'm pretty confident I'll like the movie- just keeping the fingers crossed that wifey does too.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Oh- F*** Netflix, btw. Could they have a worse browsing function?
Oh yeah, it sucks ###.

Raising Victor Vargas -- Man, this movie got A TON of critical acclaim. I was just :yawn: .

I was very, very bored by this movie. Couldn't wait for it to end. Anyone else seen it?
I really liked this flick. The chick was pretty hot also.

Paradise Now. IMDB

Movie about two Palestinian young men "chosen" for suicide mission. It was fascinating portrayal of that side of the equation. I would highly recommend it. Also, I couldn't help but think the whole time that learning Arabic would be immensely challenging.
Watched this last nite. Agree with the recommendation, it was quite interesting. Also had the same thoughts about how hard it would be to live in that environment, as well as the sense that there will never be a lasting peace in the middle east since there are so many people with such a deeply ingrained hatred of the mere existance of Israel. Good movie.
I had this in my queue for netflicks and I just bumped it up to #1.Any other movies or documentaries about the Middle East?

I have watched Control Room, Syriana, a few PBS/frontline documentaries, and a BBC documentary. I read a few books about the Middle East and am interested in learning more.
Turtles Can Fly was a very interesting look at Iraq. Here's the description at netflix:Residents of an Iraqi Kurdistan village await the violent arrival of the invading U.S Army. A young boy named Satellite (Soran Ebrahim) helps clear minefields and installs equipment that brings in news from the outside world. Meanwhile, three orphans wander aimlessly, the victims of tragic happenstance. As Saddam is removed from power, these innocent children must confront the harsh reality that awaits them. Bahman Ghobadi directs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched "Goal! The Dream Begins". I really liked it, but I'm a Newcastle fan, so I'm a bit biased.
I'm a soccer nut, but I just couldn't get into this one. Too much disbelief to suspend for me.

FLESH GORDON

I had heard about this movie a LOOOOONG time ago and finally decided what the hell, let's see what it is all about.

:tfp:

But a known trainwreck. Flash Gordon was about as cheesy, Flesh Gordon just had a bit more skin showing. Everything about this movie was really bad, but I am pretty sure that was the intention. I can say I saw it now. WOOHOOO.

Find Me Guilty - :thumbup:

Pretty good portrayal of the true story of a gangster who ended up representing himself against conspiracy charges. Vin Diesel gives a surprisingly good performance as the lead role. The legend Sidney Lumet directs.

Sahara. :no:

It's amazing how many of these action movies start off OK for the first hour and end up with you thinking "gimme a break" during the weak endings.

Watched Kontroll yesterday. :thumbup:

Hungarian movie about a ticket inspector team and their adventures in the Budapest subway. It was something between comedy, mistery and thriller. Highly entertaining, surprising and very well made. Lots of funny characters.

Sahara. :no:

It's amazing how many of these action movies start off OK for the first hour and end up with you thinking "gimme a break" during the weak endings.
Is there a new one with this title? :bag: The old one is still my favorite Bogart flick.

Sahara.  :no:

Is there a new one with this title? :bag: The old one is still my favorite Bogart flick.
I believe he's talking about the Matthew McConaughey movie....which was way over the top, but kinda fun.

Sahara.  :no:

The Bogie tank movie was excellent.Don't mistake this recent one for it.

Hungarian movie about a ticket inspector team and their adventures in the Budapest subway. It was something between comedy, mistery and thriller. Highly entertaining, surprising and very well made. Lots of funny characters.
that good good reviews. it's in my netflix queue which is like 50+ movies long at this point...

Watched Kontroll yesterday.  :thumbup:

that good good reviews. it's in my netflix queue which is like 50+ movies long at this point...
Amateur. I have 158 in my queue right now :unsure: (though about 25 of them are individual TV Series discs)

Amateur. I have 158 in my queue right now :unsure: (though about 25 of them are individual TV Series discs)
my wife pares down my list. she doesn't let it get out of hand.

Has anyone seen "Wolf Creek"? I have it in my queue via a friend's recomendation. After reading the synopsis I'm a little worried that it's just a slasher flick.

I went a little bit old school and rented The Lost Boys... god I love 80's cinema... one thing I hated was all those ### damn vampires running around.

Has anyone seen "Wolf Creek"? I have it in my queue via a friend's recomendation. After reading the synopsis I'm a little worried that it's just a slasher flick.
It's not "just" a slasher flick. It's not the most amazing horror flick you've ever seen, but at the same time it's not total trash. I'd give it a B-.

I saw this at the theater and then again on DVD. The first half is just following the kids and nothing really happens, then towards the end it starts to get grusome. Meh, it's alright. I was pissed that they tried to sell this as a true story, but it's just based on events and things that could have happened. I'd give it a C

Watched "The Matador" last night. This film had promise, but farily mediocre overall. Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear were good, but this material wasn't very interesting. Hope Davis turns in yet another great acting job. I am thinking I need to watch a lot more of her films.

Watched Shaun Of The Dead tonight. :thumbup: Really, really enjoyable. A few laugh-out-loud moments, and some very, very clever writing.

Watched Shaun Of The Dead tonight. :thumbup: Really, really enjoyable. A few laugh-out-loud moments, and some very, very clever writing.
I'm a big zombie movie fan and I liked Shaun of the Dead. A great spoof of the genre. I loved how they showed him doing his morning routine before and after.

Just rented HoodWinked. I think I liked it more than my 6 yr old. It helps if you've seen Fletch.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Watched Shaun Of The Dead tonight. :thumbup:   Really, really enjoyable.  A few laugh-out-loud moments, and some very, very clever writing.
I'm a big zombie movie fan and I liked Shaun of the Dead. A great spoof of the genre. I loved how they showed him doing his morning routine before and after.
Just watched this. It was really funny. :thumbup:

We ended up putting "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" at the front of the Netflix Queue. Based on the raves in here, and who they're coming from, I'm pretty confident I'll like the movie- just keeping the fingers crossed that wifey does too.

Nice work, Free for All guys! :thumbup: :thumbup: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a perfect rental- even my wife liked it. Maybe suffers just a little from being "cute" in dialague, story, direction and acting (my wife thought that it reminded her of Buffy)- but that's actually also it's strength. I haven't enjoyed a rental that I didn't consider seeing in the theaters this much since "Manhunter".

Thanks again for the recommendation guys- this has gotten me a couple free picks in the Netflix queue with the wife.

Watched Shaun Of The Dead tonight. :thumbup:   Really, really enjoyable.  A few laugh-out-loud moments, and some very, very clever writing.
Just watched this. It was really funny. :thumbup:
I liked Shaun to a point- felt like it kinda lost it's humor about the time everybody holes up in the bar. Made it just a meh movie for me (even though the parts leading up to that were classic).

Nice work, Free for All guys! :thumbup: :thumbup: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a perfect rental- even my wife liked it. Maybe suffers just a little from being "cute" in dialague, story, direction and acting (my wife thought that it reminded her of Buffy)- but that's actually also it's strength. I haven't enjoyed a rental that I didn't consider seeing in the theaters this much since "Manhunter".

Thanks again for the recommendation guys- this has gotten me a couple free picks in the Netflix queue with the wife.
"Cute" is a perfect description of that dialogue. I wrote earlier that I saw the trailer for Kiss Kiss and thought it looked lame. But this is the kind of writing that builds and builds. It's a silly movie that draws you in so that the dialogue gets in a groove.

Paradise Now.  IMDB

Movie about two Palestinian young men "chosen" for suicide mission.  It was fascinating portrayal of that side of the equation.  I would highly recommend it.  Also, I couldn't help but think the whole time that learning Arabic would be immensely challenging.
Watched this last nite. Agree with the recommendation, it was quite interesting. Also had the same thoughts about how hard it would be to live in that environment, as well as the sense that there will never be a lasting peace in the middle east since there are so many people with such a deeply ingrained hatred of the mere existance of Israel. Good movie.
I had this in my queue for netflicks and I just bumped it up to #1.Any other movies or documentaries about the Middle East?

I have watched Control Room, Syriana, a few PBS/frontline documentaries, and a BBC documentary. I read a few books about the Middle East and am interested in learning more.
While I haven't seen this myself, I've heard the movie "Osama" is pretty good.

I watched Gwendoline (actually, "Gwendoline: Unrated Director's Cut (A.K.A. The Perils Of Gwendoline In The Land Of The Yik Yak") this weekend. I'd give it ¶¶ out of ¶¶¶¶¶.

The reason for the ¶¶ is almost entirely due to a 23 year old Tawny Kitaen's propensity for getting topless during the film (and her sidekick, Zabou, isn't too shabby either). Throw in the fact that Gwendoline is from the genius that brought you Emanuelle and Lady Chatterly's Lover, and the historical value of this film is off the charts (I mean, c'mon, its Tawny Kitaen - Whitesnake's video vixen, and Tom Hanks' Bachelor party bride to be).

Featuring some of the worst special effects ever committed to film (there's a "crocodile" that is worse than anything you've ever seen, including those featured at jungle-themed miniature golf courses) as well as what seems to be actors speaking multiple languages (and subsequently dubbed).

Even if you've never watched this movie, you probably remember seeing the VHS case for it sitting there collecting dust on video store shelves years ago. That's back when it was known as The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak. Yes, a title that uses "the" three times.

I too used to walk past that old VHS rental tape back in the day. The video promised Indiana Jones-style adventure combined with sexy girls, but I never did get around to renting it, opting instead for, you know, good movies. And yet, I have to admit, the pop culture-obsessed geek part of me always did want to see the movie for curiosity's sake, to witness for myself whether it lived up to the sexy promise of the packaging.

Well, my day has come. The movie has now arrived on DVD with a new unrated director's cut, with its title shortened (re-shortened?) to Gwendoline. The packaging now promises a lot more sex and debauchery than it ever did, replacing the old Drew Struzan-inspired cover art with a stark shot of star Tawny Kitaen (Witchboard, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys) wearing nothing but a pair of handcuffs and some tiny underpants.

Drop Dead Gorgeous

There are actually quite a few laugh out loud moments in this film. Plus some lines that could be all time classics.

On that alone, it's a solid 7.

But please, Kirstie Alley's "Minnesota" accent sounds like some retarted Bostonian Scotsman that lived in the Bronx for a couple of years. :rolleyes:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang- :thumbup: :thumbup: Sleeper :thumbup: thanks for the reconmondation

Matador- :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbdown: Didn't care for the ending that much.

Taking lives- :thumbup: :thumbup: Kind of unrealistic, but pretty cool.

Kingdom of Heaven- OK if you FF. I was just interested in seeing how the people in the era of the crusades lived. IMO worth watching for that alone.

Final Destination 3. :thumbup:

Good flick if you like gore. I'm starting to dig this trilogy more and more. They aren't afraid to push the envelope when it comes to unexpected head explosions!

:X :popcorn:

King Kong: Very nice movie visually (might have felt differently if it wasn't the first movie I watched on my High Definition projector and upscaling DVD player) however, the beginning is slow, the writing is awfule and it swings wildly between seriousness and camp. I couldn't figure out if it was trying to be Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park. All in all, thumbs down.

King Kong: Very nice movie visually (might have felt differently if it wasn't the first movie I watched on my High Definition projector and upscaling DVD player) however, the beginning is slow, the writing is awfule and it swings wildly between seriousness and camp. I couldn't figure out if it was trying to be Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park. All in all, thumbs down.
I saw this for the second time last week. I think there are two main problems with the movie.The first is that it is too long by at least 30 minutes. It takes waaay too long to get to the island.

The second is Jack Black. The character he plays is supposed to be a slimy opportunist that'll sell out any friend for a buck. Black is the reason that it becomes campy rather than serious.

King Kong:  Very nice movie visually (might have felt differently if it wasn't the first movie I watched on my High Definition projector and upscaling DVD player) however, the beginning is slow, the writing is awfule and it swings wildly between seriousness and camp.  I couldn't figure out if it was trying to be Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park.  All in all, thumbs down.
I saw this for the second time last week. I think there are two main problems with the movie.The first is that it is too long by at least 30 minutes. It takes waaay too long to get to the island.

The second is Jack Black. The character he plays is supposed to be a slimy opportunist that'll sell out any friend for a buck. Black is the reason that it becomes campy rather than serious.
I agree on the length. I think Jack Black adds to the campiness but there are other factors as well. I'm willing to leave out the completely unrealistic physics with the ship on the rocks and the fact that King Kong would have ripped off the woman's arms when he pulled her off the sacrificial altar (we are talking about a movie about a giant ape, afterall) but the First mate and the young crew member comparing notes on Joseph Conrad was particularly egregious.

I'm willing to leave out the completely unrealistic physics with the ship on the rocks and the fact that King Kong would have ripped off the woman's arms when he pulled her off the sacrificial altar (we are talking about a movie about a giant ape, afterall)
That part bugged me too. Her head would have flown off too the way he was carrying her through the forest.

Saw two films:

War of the Worlds

- I remember this film getting a lot of bad reviews. While I won't say it was great, I liked it. Pretty depressing at times, but I enjoyed it.

Saint Ange

- Is this where Metallica got the title for their CD "Saint Anger"? I bet it is. Anyway, this stylish thriller is clearly inspired by The 6th Sense. But this is a very dissapointing film. Don't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread