What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reid is fired as Eagles head coach (1 Viewer)

'KellysHeroes said:
4 years too late one of the worst in game managers in football
True, but you have to admit that over time he became equally bad at personnel and coaching decisions.Six amazing seasons, followed by 6 good seasons, followed by a bad season, followed by a horrendous season. Definitely time to reverse the trend.
once Jim Johnson died the whole thing fell apart
Reid's increasing power within the organization too.

From the Eagles' website:

Eagles Announce End Of Reid's Tenure

Posted 16 minutes ago

By PhiladelphiaEagles.com

The 14-year head coaching tenure of Andy Reid has ended, the Philadelphia Eagles announced on Monday morning.

The organization’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Lurie will hold a press conference at noon today at the NovaCare Complex. We will hold a special edition of Eagles Live! at 11 AM, which you can watch live on PhiladelphiaEagles.com or on our mobile app. Lurie will discuss the decision to dismiss Reid, who led the Eagles to six NFC East titles, five NFC Championship Games and an appearance in Super Bowl XXXIX.

"Andy Reid won the most games of any head coach in Eagles history and he is someone I respect greatly and will remain friends with for many years to come,” said Lurie. "But, it is time for the Eagles to move in a new direction. Coach Reid leaves us with a winning tradition that we can build upon. And we are very excited about the future.”

Reid joined the team in 1999 and immediately turned the fortunes of the franchise around in a positive direction with the implementation of a strong coaching staff, solid moves in free agency and the selection of quarterback Donovan McNabb. The Eagles reached the playoffs one season later, in 2000, the first of nine postseason trips in Reid’s 14 seasons leading the football operations.

His 140 victories are a franchise record and rank 22nd on the all-time NFL coaching list.

The Eagles concluded the 2012 season with a 4-12 record after their loss to the Giants on Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

"The search for the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles will begin immediately," said Lurie.

It was time to move on but the way he has been treated the last couple years is horrible, it is probably worse than Mcnabb was treated near the end. Eagles fans will get some medicine the next few years finishing last in the NFC east for the next 3 or 4 years. By that time Reid will have moved on and probably have a team in the playoffs by then.
:rolleyes: We knew a few years ago what the rest of the world came to realize this year. Andy Reid needed to go. BTW, how did Donny do once he left here? I didn't follow his career after Philly. Instead of trying to bash the Philly fans, maybe you should acknowledge how in tune they are with their team. The same year McNabb left is the same year Reid should have been sent walking.

It was time to move on but the way he has been treated the last couple years is horrible, it is probably worse than Mcnabb was treated near the end. Eagles fans will get some medicine the next few years finishing last in the NFC east for the next 3 or 4 years. By that time Reid will have moved on and probably have a team in the playoffs by then.
:rolleyes: We knew a few years ago what the rest of the world came to realize this year. Andy Reid needed to go. BTW, how did Donny do once he left here? I didn't follow his career after Philly. Instead of trying to bash the Philly fans, maybe you should acknowledge how in tune they are with their team. The same year McNabb left is the same year Reid should have been sent walking.
I was going to let that comment go as I didn't want to take the bait. I didn't want to turn this into a hater/apologist thread. I really wish Reid nothing but the best. If he goes on to win a SB with another team or have more success in the immediate future, it doesn't mean this was the wrong decision by Lurie.The team under Reid has been in steady decline for several years and he showed no sign that he could turn it around. The team has entered historically bad territory. A new start, new coaching staff, GM could be just what he needs. Wasn't happening here, with this team. And he had more time than any other coach in the history of the NFL, so its not like this is a knee-jerk reaction to a bad season.To Chazzhawk: I don't think he was treated badly until he moved Castillo into a position he was completely unprepared for, in a season with no TC, and roster full of new FA acquisitions in a year they were clearly poised for deep playoff run. And I'm hearing that handling of the DC is giving pause to teams looking for a new HC.

Not sure how trustworthy this guy is, but:

‏Per Gary Cobb, Philly sports radio guy (@GarryCobb);

I learned yesterday from a source close to Bill Cowher, that Jeffrey Lurie has been having conversations with Cowher for over a week.

:lmao: :lmao: Post number 50?? The shark pool is slipping. :lmao: :lmao:

It was beyond time to move on. But I have no ill will towards Andy. I really respect what he did for this team and for all of the good times. I'm looking forward to a new direction.

Not sure how trustworthy this guy is, but:‏Per Gary Cobb, Philly sports radio guy (@GarryCobb);I learned yesterday from a source close to Bill Cowher, that Jeffrey Lurie has been having conversations with Cowher for over a week.
I always like Cowher. I'd love to have him if he was interested. I know he also has his positives and negatives, but I always liked his fiery approach.

Not sure how trustworthy this guy is, but:‏Per Gary Cobb, Philly sports radio guy (@GarryCobb);I learned yesterday from a source close to Bill Cowher, that Jeffrey Lurie has been having conversations with Cowher for over a week.
I always like Cowher. I'd love to have him if he was interested. I know he also has his positives and negatives, but I always liked his fiery approach.
The fiery approach is what I want out if whoever gets the job. Reid is very laid back and these players need a kick in the ###

The fiery approach is what I want out if whoever gets the job. Reid is very laid back and these players need a kick in the ###
Same here. No more GOTTA DO A BETTER JOBS!!!

He needs time off. Period. Andy, take a year and get recharged. Clear your head. Lose some weight. Get excited about football again.

I think Andy did a nice job out there. And during the stretch where the Eagles lost 7 in a row, well he did a nice job but could have done a better job.

All in all, think that Coach Reid did a nice job in Philly.

I feel bad for the sandwich shops that he kept busy, he really did a nice job polishing off his share and then some.

As far as the Bill O'Brien thoughts about being the next head coach, he reportedly has a 9m buyout clause in his contact with Penn State. I would assume that would stop plenty teams from inquiring about his services.

As far as the Bill O'Brien thoughts about being the next head coach, he reportedly has a 9m buyout clause in his contact with Penn State. I would assume that would stop plenty teams from inquiring about his services.
Some were questioning if that buyout was for all jobs or just other NCAA jobs. Additionally, he was hired under the construct that the Sandusky issue was a legal issue and not an NCAA issue. Some have said he could fight the buyout since he was hired under false pretenses and now faces 3 more years of a bowl ban.

I'm thinking it stops all teams. There seems to be a lot of HC candidates out there this year.

Same here. No more GOTTA DO A BETTER JOBS!!!
I don't care what you see on the outside. So long as the players love the coach and fight for him like it was a battlefield. So long as they're fired up for their coach because they believe in him because they love him and they know believing in him will take them to the promise land. If our next coach is fired up and our players love it. Great. If our next coach shows Barney during nap time, I'm all for it. A win is a win.

I think you just need to change it up. Coaches lose their voice unless they continually deliver. Reid was pretty good, not great. Obviously had some flaws. Always seemed like he was a coach who wanted to mold players to his style instead of a guy who could coach to his players' strength. He took two very good rushing quarterbacks and tried to make them pocket passers. McNabb could have been used much more effectively if he'd been allowed to run more. Vick never seemed like a good fit with Reid. I think he'd have won some Super Bowls if he'd just gotten a guy like Romo or River whose strength fit his concept better. He sure had a good eye for running back talent though. Westbrook and McCoy are testament to that.

I hope he goes to Jacksonville. I'd love to see what he could do with Gabbert.

Reid was unquestionably the best head coach in franchise history, but it is also certainly time for a change. I would odds on Reid winning a Super Bowl before our Birds do.

I think you just need to change it up. Coaches lose their voice unless they continually deliver. Reid was pretty good, not great. Obviously had some flaws. Always seemed like he was a coach who wanted to mold players to his style instead of a guy who could coach to his players' strength. He took two very good rushing quarterbacks and tried to make them pocket passers. McNabb could have been used much more effectively if he'd been allowed to run more. Vick never seemed like a good fit with Reid. I think he'd have won some Super Bowls if he'd just gotten a guy like Romo or River whose strength fit his concept better. He sure had a good eye for running back talent though. Westbrook and McCoy are testament to that. I hope he goes to Jacksonville. I'd love to see what he could do with Gabbert.
He's coming in for an interview in AZ and with a chance to be reunited with Kolb. The change of scenery may rejuvinate Andy, but even with his flaws, Big Red would be a major upgrade to Wisen-Nut Case.

He's coming in for an interview in AZ and with a chance to be reunited with Kolb. The change of scenery may rejuvinate Andy, but even with his flaws, Big Red would be a major upgrade to Wisen-Nut Case.
Just curious, would that relationship still work? It would be nice to see Kolb achieve some level of success after what he went through in Philly.

I would odds on Reid winning a Super Bowl before our Birds do.
What part of his on and off field performance as a coach/pseudo GM in the last 5 years would give you confidence to make that bet? He has been poor, border line terrible in both capacities during that time.

Reid is interviewing with the Chiefs today. This is after he made it known he wanted to go to SD (had his staff picked out). They said no thanks. Then reports leak (by his agent?) that he's practically the new HC in Arizona. They say, wait. We're talking to other candidates including their own DC a second time.

Users who are viewing this thread